• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valuation

157 posts in this topic

down

Usually 1/2 value from what i've seen...if it's a major key

I'm guessing the question was actually why this would be the case. Are the pence variants generally produced later than the U.S. editions? That might be a good reason that they would be valued less, but if they were made at the same time, I would think the likelihood of there being less copies would make them at least as valuable.

down

I'm guessing the question was actually why this would be the case. Are the pence variants generally produced later than the U.S. editions? That might be a good reason that they would be valued less, but if they were made at the same time, I would think the likelihood of there being less copies would make them at least as valuable.

People that think they are worth less should try and find one in higher grade than 3.0

down

People that think they are worth less should try and find one in higher grade than 3.0

Oh come now, they generally sell for less.

How much less usually depends on how crazy (or gullible) the buyer is. Sales are very inconsistent.

down

It really depends on the book, but in some cases the print timing is very close. However, just because something is "rare" does not mean it is "valuable" anymore than something being "common" equaling "worthless."

down

Oh come now, they definitely sell for less.

How much less usually depends on how crazy (or gullible) the buyer is. Sales are very inconsistent.

rfoiii, I will buy all of your UK "keys" for half price if you have them.

UK non-keys might = half price, but not the key issues.

down

Oh come now, they definitely sell for less.

rfoiii, I will buy all of your UK "keys" for half price if you have them.

UK non-keys might = half price, but not the key issues.

(shrug)

I never said "half." In any case, prices on key issues are not 100% equal.

down

Most of the time I would agree with you,but books like Hulk1 or JIM 83 I will gladly pay dollar for dollar for a high grade pence copy,if there is such a thing.

down

Most of the time I would agree with you,but books like Hulk1 or JIM 83 I will gladly pay dollar for dollar for a high grade pence copy,if there is such a thing.

I might concede on Hulk 1, but in reality I struggle with the resale value. Ultimately I have my collection because it makes me happy but I will sell it someday if my kids don't absolutely love them.

I just don't see a large market for Pence copies, or at least not enough to command the same pricing (even on Mega/Ultra/Monolithic Keys).

Out of curiosity: do you have any sales data to show where higher grade Pence keys match US versions? Or it just your personal collecting style?

down

I might concede on Hulk 1, but in reality I struggle with the resale value. Ultimately I have my collection because it makes me happy but I will sell it someday if my kids don't absolutely love them.

I just don't see a large market for Pence copies, or at least not enough to command the same pricing (even on Mega/Ultra/Monolithic Keys).

Out of curiosity: do you have any sales data to show where higher grade Pence keys match US versions? Or it just your personal collecting style?

Just my personal beliefs,but in reality they are MUCH harder to find.

down

Gotcha. They are harder to find, but obviously that doesn't automatically make them valuable.

My guidance would be to collect what you love, but tread with caution when it comes to non-mainstream if you are ever worried about resale.

down

Gotcha. They are harder to find, but obviously that doesn't automatically make them valuable.

My guidance would be to collect what you love, but tread with caution when it comes to non-mainstream if you are ever worried about resale.

As far as collecting I'm in the here and now,not really caring about resale.

down

As far as collecting I'm in the here and now,not really caring about resale.

(thumbs u

Coolio

Speaking from the anti-pence crowd, it just doesn't look right to have a pence copy in the middle of some cents copies. It's as simple as that. Rarity doesn't matter, it just doesn't fit. I'd actually rather have a Golden Record Reprint than a pence copy, even though it's worth far less.

Speaking from the anti-pence crowd, it just doesn't look right to have a pence copy in the middle of some cents copies. It's as simple as that. Rarity doesn't matter, it just doesn't fit. I'd actually rather have a Golden Record Reprint than a pence copy, even though it's worth far less.

Really?

Really?

Really. It's not always about the money.

Let's see....on the census it shows:

There are 209 copies of FF 1 in 5.5 and above.

There are 314 copies of the FF 1 Golden record reprint in 5.5 and above.

There is 1, just 1 copy of the UK FF 1 above 5.0. Do you see why, especially the high grade copies of these UK copies, might realize a price that is very close to the US copies.

High grade UK copies are the rarest of the rare and I think it's a niche that more people are going to be looking at.

I'm kicking myself for selling my 7.5 UK TOS 39. I got 80% of the US version, but I now have regrets.

down

Depending on your age and reasons for collecting, for some North American collectors, the pence issues do not speak to their childhood experience of comic book reading.