• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valuation

157 posts in this topic

It makes a lot more sense to pay attention to the people who actually deal with those books on a regular basis.

Really? You take the word of someone on an item's value that is selling you something that you have no basis of comparison? Really?

Reminds me of the old joke of the woman who walks in on her husband caught red handed in the act of cheating on her in their marital bed:

"Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?"

lol

-J.

It makes a lot more sense to pay attention to the people who actually deal with those books on a regular basis.

Really? You take the word of someone on an item's value that is selling you something that you have no basis of comparison? Really?

Reminds me of the old joke of the woman who walks in on her husband caught red handed in the act of cheating on her in their marital bed:

lol

-J.

Who wold you trust more - someone you deal with on a regular basis or somebody you don't know?

lol

-J.

Who wold you trust more - someone you deal with on a regular basis or somebody you don't know?

That's the point of the joke.

Trust yourself. (thumbs u

-J.

Where does he say he has no basis of comparison?

Where does he say he has no basis of comparison?

I paraphrased and simplified. In the original quote he said he had little other reliable data. Net, no good basis of comparison so he should trust the dealer...

lol

-J.

I don't think the choice was between two people: one you know and one you don't. The point was to trust yourself.

Besides, just because you have dealt with someone for a long time and have built a "relationship" with them doesn't mean you haven't been getting fleeced for years...

What are you arguing again?

lol

-J.

I don't think the choice was between two people: one you know and one you don't. The point was to trust yourself.

Besides, just because you have dealt with someone for a long time and have built a "relationship" with them doesn't mean you haven't been getting fleeced for years...

I asked a question relevant to this discussion. That OK with you?

lol

-J.

I asked a question relevant to this discussion. That OK with you?

(thumbs u Sure, but I'm not in charge.

lol

-J.

What dealer gave you that royal fleecing?

A person shouldn't rely on just one source but on every available data. However,they should weigh up just how much experience that data is drawn from.

You don't take Nick's word at face value? That's fine though you may want to take into account how he has managed to gain a reputation as one of the most trusted and ethical sellers on the boards. You should however listen to the reasons why the small amount of data pertaining to pence copies on GPA is skewed by where it's coming from. If you understand the market for pence copies then you know that ones on eBay are usually random offerings that aren't aimed directly at the main collectors of them as a UK dealers would be.

Then again, I'm a UK dealer who regularly sells them so I don't expect you to take my word for it either as you probably think I'm biased. They were selling very well at the London mart that I set up for yesterday.

A person shouldn't rely on just one source but on every available data. However,they should weigh up just how much experience that data is drawn from.

You don't take Nick's word at face value? That's fine though you may want to take into account how he has managed to gain a reputation as one of the most trusted and ethical sellers on the boards. You should however listen to the reasons why the small amount of data pertaining to pence copies on GPA is skewed by where it's coming from. If you understand the market for pence copies then you know that ones on eBay are usually random offerings that aren't aimed directly at the main collectors of them as a UK dealers would be.

Then again, I'm a UK dealer who regularly sells them so I don't expect you to take my word for it either as you probably think I'm biased. They were selling very well at the London mart that I set up for yesterday.

Again GPA reports its sales from a GLOBAL market place. Do British dealers sell nothing on ebay ? Nothing on any of the major auction houses for comic books ? Is that the claim being made here now ? (shrug)

-J.

So they don't report?

George just puts their names up for no apparent reason?

Three things:

1) He puts their names up there because they have reported at least one data entry at some point and it makes for a good business move. Hell, I have no idea how many any one of them provide their data or how often. He has no way of knowing if they report every sale so from his prospective he is safe and validating his business. Without being able to claim they report to him would mean the loss of a ton of business as eBay and most auction data is readily available without GPA.

2) Your statement is silly and inflammatory, similar to most of your arguments thus far. You are simply making assertions claiming they are facts because you either call someone's honor into question :o or your own :o and continue to rant as if everyone should just believe what you say is fact.

3) Clearly these dealers do not report every single sale. I will not speculate as to why, but it is obvious to anyone with a GPA subscription and spends more than 15 minutes on the internet that this is true.

:hi:

My arguments have been based 100% around facts...

(1) My own sales data from many years of dealing.

(2) The much smaller percentage (per capita) of pence copies being slabbed in comparison to their US counterparts. I know this because we're CGC authorised dealers and I know the breakdown of the submissions we make on behalf of customers.

(3) The complete lack of GPA data from UK dealers - other than eBay UK - whereas many US dealers report.

Now, until anybody can refute any of those facts, I'll continue to assert that pence copies trade between 70-80% of their US counterparts and certainly a small sample of a very small sample of a niche market...GPA recorded pence copy sales...is not going going to sway me, for the reasons I have already stated.

Okay so your position is essentially that all pense copies have an FMV of 70-80% of cents when you "don't" count all the sales that have actually occurred and are reported publicly which show the FMV to be closer to 60%.

And you're complaining about GPA using selective data points ?

Got it. (thumbs u

-J.

Actually, GPA doesn't appear to show a FMV closer to 60%. You looked at Hulk #1 and AF #15. I'll look at Avengers #1.

A 7.0 sold in 2012 for $3,875. The 2012 average for cents copies was $5,222.

So that's 74%

A 6.5 sold in March 2014 for $2,995. The 12 month average for cents copies is $3,980.

So that's 75%.

A 5.5 sold in May 2014 for $1,733. The 12 month average for cents copies is $3,269.

So that's 53%.

A 5.0 sold in 2013 for $1,650. The 2013 average for cents copies was $2,286.

So that's 72%.

A 4.5 sold in April 2014 for $1,400. The 12 month average for cents copies is $1,972.

So that's 71%.

Now, putting all that together, it would appear that the average is actually 69%.

However, there is a case to be made that the 5.5 sale is possibly an outlier and that the average is really 73%.

So...make of that what you will.

Again GPA reports its sales from a GLOBAL market place. Do British dealers sell nothing on ebay ? Nothing on any of the major auction houses for comic books ? Is that the claim being made here now ? (shrug)

-J.

It never was.

What was being said was that the vast majority of pence copy sales are not reported on GPA.

Therefore, GPA was an unreliable source for making sweeping generalisations.

lol

-J.

He who shall not be named. Let's call him: Boardie Member A.

I don't take anyone's word at face value when they are selling what they are pitching.... Dealers are out to make profit and the market is volatile, if they are selling on a regular basis then they are generally selling for more than what they paid for a book, which means they are selling books over current market values. Now is this because the data hasn't been reported, someone made them an offer without knowing the data, someone just wanted the book bad and had the cash, because they sold them that only "they know the true market value," or something else...probably depends on the person and situation.

Don't know Nick at all, could be a great guy, probably is.

And yes, being a dealer from the UK does give me the impression you could be bias about Pence copies. Not saying you are, but it would come to mind if we were striking a deal.

lol

-J.

He who shall not be named. Let's call him: Boardie Member A.

And you've decided to trust noone now because of it? ???