• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How common is pressing a 9.6 to a 9.8

12 posts in this topic

I am trying to gauge members success rate with pressing and resubmiting a 9.6 and it returning a 9.8. Has anyone had success doing this? Has it backfired and returned a lower grade? Thanks for any information. Using this data for an article I am writing for a blog.

It is probably more common than any other grade level.

Really can't say in general. Each book is different and it depends on the flaws.

If there is any color break then pressing will not help.

+1,000,000

pressing does not make books magically into a 9.8

the important thing to remember is how good of a 9.6 and/or how strict/poor the grading is on the second submission

I've submitted books that I thought for sure were 9.8s and came back 9.6 and vice versa

sometimes it doesn't even matter if the book has been pressed or not.

Like many have said, there really isn't that much of a difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8

I am trying to gauge members success rate with pressing and resubmiting a 9.6 and it returning a 9.8. Has anyone had success doing this? Has it backfired and returned a lower grade? Thanks for any information. Using this data for an article I am writing for a blog.

In the last three months I sent in 7, 9.6 books and 5 of them got bumped up to a 9.8 and the other two remained 9.6. Hope that helps.

-J.

In the last three months I sent in 7, 9.6 books and 5 of them got bumped up to a 9.8 and the other two remained 9.6. Hope that helps.

-J.

Damn what books I wonder. You certainly are beating the odds. I have a streak going of HG books that the notes say should press up come back the same grade. In most cases a 9.6 has a defect that keeps it from a 9.8 IMO you are so close to perfection with a 9.6 that a 9.8 is hard to achieve.

Hell I had 1 with 5 non color breaking creases as a 9.0 looked like a sure fire 9.4 when pressed came back same grade

Down grades, up grades, staying the same grade. All three can happen. It's really about having submitted enough books to CGC to have an idea how they grade and having a good, experienced eye for books that have defects that pressing will fix.

If you just picked up 100 books graded 9.6 at random, pressed and resubbed them I doubt your success rate would be very high. 15-20% I would (pure speculation) guess. I base that estimate on the fact that when purchasing such books, I discard 7-8 out of 10 that I look at.

Once you get good at looking for the defects, no reason to restrict yourself to 9.6. There are 9.8 candidates out there in the 9.0-9.4 grades too.