• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you buy from a dealer with dishonest business practices?

180 posts in this topic

We probably do it every day without realizing it, but if you knew someone had done something dishonest for financial gain while trampling others in their path, would you still do business with them? Has this hobby become so cut throat that people will sink to new lows for financial gain?

Thoughts?

I for one would not, will not regardless of what the said dealer has. And I feel that these type of practices are severely hurting the hobby.

Interesting topic. I definitely avoid dealers that I consider to be on the 'shady' side. The problem is differentiating the rumors and stories from actual fact. However, if I hear enough stories from others I trust, I will avoid those dealers. There are certain dealers whose names seem to come up more often, best to simply avoid.

Absolutely. I won't buy from Mark Wilson, period, because of his spine-moving shenanigans. Wouldn't matter if he had my #1 grail. He's had a number of books on my want list for sale on eBay during the past 2 years; I pass them by like they don't exist.

I also wouldn't buy from Dave Anderson (not that he ever sells any of his good stuff) due to the Hawkeye/fake-Mile-High-coding issue.

Sometimes I suspect dishonest practices (like shill bidding, which in an online auction is felony wire fraud) but don't have any real proof.

Absolutely. I won't buy from Mark Wilson, period, because of his spine-moving shenanigans. Wouldn't matter if he had my #1 grail. He's had a number of books on my want list for sale on eBay during the past 2 years; I pass them by like they don't exist.

He has a book (consignment item I guess) I'd be very interested in but his asking price is beyond :screwy:

I also wouldn't buy from Dave Anderson (not that he ever sells any of his good stuff) due to the Hawkeye/fake-Mile-High-coding issue.

The Dentist ? Did not know this.

It's no surprise that I have a long list of dealers with whom I'll never do business with again. Avoiding them is actually quite liberating.

The angst of interacting with such schmucks isn't worth it anymore, no matter what books they offer for sale that I would normally want.

It's no surprise that I have a long list of dealers with whom I'll never do business with again. Avoiding them is actually quite liberating.

The angst of interacting with such schmucks isn't worth it anymore, no matter what books they offer for sale that I would normally want.

Based on some of your previous comments, I'm guessing that both Bob Beerbohm and Metropolis are on that list. :insane:

I've never bought from Bob, but he's always been gracious to me in online interactions. (I've picked his brain a couple of times on Platinum-Age comics & Reilly books.)

As for Metro, well...they have some practices I don't care for, like ignoring stains when grading, scooping up tough books & holding them hostage at twice FMV, etc., but I don't know of them doing anything that I'd label dishonest. I sort of reserve that term for people like Wilson, Anderson, & Ewert.

We probably do it every day without realizing it, but if you knew someone had done something dishonest for financial gain while trampling others in their path, would you still do business with them? Has this hobby become so cut throat that people will sink to new lows for financial gain?

Thoughts?

I for one would not, will not regardless of what the said dealer has. And I feel that these type of practices are severely hurting the hobby.

Sounds like you may have a recent experience in mind. hm

The Dentist ? Did not know this.

Before I knew what restoration was, he sold me a restored Action on ebay 10 years ago. It was described in caps as unrestored. Do to my ignorance at the time, he got away with it. Never again.

Thoughts?

I buy from MArvel and DC all the time. SO happy I get a box discount from my LCBS.

The key question when deciding on a transaction should be 'how will this play out if a problem comes up'? If you can't be confident that the other party will treat you right, don't go there. And that rules out dishonest people from the start (as well as cranks, people with short fuses etc). 2c