• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A.K.A. Jessica Jones on Netflix (11/20/15)
3 3

840 posts in this topic

Episode 3 finally introduces a mystery super to counter Jessica Jones. NOW it gets interesting.

By the way, anyone hearing this show is like Pippi Longstocking? People have been making that comparison with the strong yet strange female that likes to be alone. Even the amazing James Gunn is making the comparison.

Edited by Bosco685

Just finished the series.  I loved JJ season 1... and while I’m not sure this is exactly that?  It’s really really good.

For the most part it avoids that big mid-run lull that many Netflix series can be guilty of.  Here it’s just episode 5 that’s a bit slow... then, starting with episode 6 everything goes “cray, cray”.  (Once you’ve watched episode six, you’ll especially enjoy my word play. lol )

Again, it’s all in the Jessica Jones style of being personal, emotional and her brand of snarky dark humor.

But the best thing about this series is that the whole roster of characters are interesting and well-drawn out.  In other series, when the lead is off screen those moments are really dragging.  But here, you’re happy to follow Trish, Hogarth, or Malcom’s story.

7 hours ago, fmaz said:

For the most part it avoids that big mid-run lull that many Netflix series can be guilty of.  Here it’s just episode 5 that’s a bit slow... then, starting with episode 6 everything goes “cray, cray”.  (Once you’ve watched episode six, you’ll especially enjoy my word play. lol )

I'm close to that episode.

I disagree Episode 5 is the only one that lags, though. As do review sites stating the early episodes really drag on with character development. Harper's health situation kicking off with her conducting a female prostitute party, and goes on for three more episodes before she reveals what is going on. And even the reminder why Jessica Jones is such a darker, brooding character requires an anger management group scene in Episode 4 where she mentions the death of her family in a car crash and that she was controlled by Kilgrave and raped repeatedly. If this had DC or WB on the intro screen, people would be complaining "THIS IS SO DARK!"

At least in Episode 5 we see a positive where Jessica Jones is locked up in jail, and Harper is helping her out. That scene between Jessica where the detective shares the turmoil he has been dealing with when Kilgrave forced him and other police officers to hold guns to their heads in Season One. He wanted Jessica to know what she did to Kilgrave gave him some comfort. It was a touching scene. And really made you feel for the characters what they have dealt with.

It does feel like by Episode 5 it starts to pick up. Which for a thirteen-episode show could feel a little too long. But you do feel the shift.

On 3/11/2018 at 12:44 PM, kagenish said:

i gotta say this season is a big improvement over last season but DD s1 & s2 are still the top dogs to beat.

I think season 1 had a much better villain, while season 2 had much more character development for Jessica.

Spoiler

I realize Jessica is a loner, but I was kind of disappointed that there was no follow up at all from the Defenders story arc . . . not one mention.  And felt that Trish's story arc was rather hypocritical.

I'm up to Episode 11, and can safely say once you get past Episode 5 the series really starts to take off. As has been pointed out, without a central antagonist to keep you watching to see how Jessica takes them out. But more the influences of her past, and how she will overcome those. But it does improve as you progress through the early episodes.

6 hours ago, Doc McCoy said:

I think season 1 had a much better villain, while season 2 had much more character development for Jessica.

Hide contents

I realize Jessica is a loner, but I was kind of disappointed that there was no follow up at all from the Defenders story arc . . . not one mention.  And felt that Trish's story arc was rather hypocritical.

Spoiler

yeah, this season had a better character development for her, but I think the whole mom thing dragged for too long.

4 minutes ago, kagenish said:
  Reveal hidden contents

yeah, this season had a better character development for her, but I think the whole mom thing dragged for too long.

Amen to that!

I had a feeling the show had to end the way it did with Jessica's mother

Spoiler

But what a way to go out.

Nice wrap-up to the show with where Jessica ended up, and Patsy Walker. I'm assuming the latter could land her own show next.

9 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I had a feeling the show had to end the way it did with Jessica's mother

Hide contents

But what a way to go out.

Nice wrap-up to the show with where Jessica ended up, and Patsy Walker. I'm assuming the latter could land her own show next.

hm  Not sure they left Trish likable enough to have her own show after this, did they?  

16 minutes ago, Doc McCoy said:

hm  Not sure they left Trish likable enough to have her own show after this, did they?  

Oh, definitely not. I agree on that. But remember when Jessica Jones first started out in Season 1. An episode or two, and they can potentially turn around the character.

My Marvel-Netflix ranking at this point:

- Daredevil Season 2

- Daredevil Season 1

- The Punisher Season 1

- Luke Cage Season 1

- Jessica Jones Season 1

- The Defenders

- Jessica Jones Season 2

- Iron Fist Season 1

30 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I want to see Malcolm back. 

56 minutes ago, Doc McCoy said:

I think one of the things that makes Jessica Jones such a great series (and I’m speaking of both series #1 and #2), is that all three of the main  “heroes” - Jessica, Trish and Malcolm are, in their own ways, trying to do what they think is the right thing.  It’s just because each of them is severely flawed and broken, these actions they take make them seem — to us and to each other — pretty unlikeable at times. 

I mean really, this season ends in as optimistic a place as possible for Jessica, as she is trying to integrate herself into the world both as a person and a hero... but for Trish and Malcolm, they’ve both gone down very unlikeable paths but for reasons they both think were for the right reason.   That’s exactly why Doc wonders if Trish is likeable enough still, but Sky wants Malcolm back I believe... because we DO like all these characters at heart and root for them... DESPITE the unlikeable decisions they make. 

My main problem with the Netflix series is that they require SO much more of a time commitment than the movies, yet for that additional time commitment we're getting less compelling content than the movies.  I'd love to watch some of these given infinite time, but this one doesn't seem more compelling than my current watch list (Gotham, X-Files, Walking Dead) so I just can't.

Television is the one place where DC is really kicking Marvel's booty.  I'd much rather watch Gotham than any Marvel series aside from Daredevil.

Edited by fantastic_four

Stan Lee's Cameo In Season 2 Of JESSICA JONES Revealed

jessica-jones-stan-lee-cameo-1089495.jpe

In episode nine of the second season which is titled "AKA Shark in the Bathtub, Monster in the Bed," we see Jessica attempting to help Oscar who is played by J.R. Ramirez sort out a family issue. The mission would then lead the two individuals to the bus station in the hope of catching up with Oscar's ex-wife.

At the 33:21 mark the two arrive, a green bus is pulling away when suddenly we see Lee's face stamped on the back of the bus.

I was not enjoying this season a ton when it started, but it got way stronger towards the end.  Much deeper character development for everyone.  I see bad things ahead for the super, if things hold true to form for Jessica.  I was a little confused by the seemingly abrupt character arc of Patsy/Trish, but clearly she is destined to become Hellcat, deviating from the comic origin.  Malcolm stole the show this season. 

I'm 4 episodes in and it's ok but nothing great.  I liked the 1st season better at this point but it's keeping me entertained enough to keep it in the rotation.  Right now Altered Carbon is a much better show and I'm alternating watching that show and Alias whcn I have time.