• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM AF 15

26 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I wasn't really in the market for one of these, but my LCS got one in at a price I couldn't ignore. Cover is attached, but is split at the spine down to the first staple. No pieces or pages are missing other than what you see here. Page quality is decent, with some tanning around the edges on some pages, but no brittleness. Thankfully there is no tape, nor have I spotted any CT. But I don't normally deal with SA books, so I defer to the wiser folks here.

I'm really tickled to have this. I have my thoughts about a grade, but I'll save them until I hear from you all.

154y3vp.jpg

2i228v8.jpg

bil4r4.jpg

2agjnnb.jpg

2uzb09s.jpg

1zqdldv.jpg

Jaydog, with all due respect that is poor advice. The press may cause the spine to split completely. It's not like the press would regenerate the missing pieces either. This is a perfect example of a book having non-pressable defects.

That's a good point if the book is brittle at all. But if the spine is completely split it could still be a 1.5. The book looks wavy though and if it laid flat even with a split cover it could be a 1.5. Ultimately it would be up to the presser who has the book in hand to decide if the risk is worth the potential reward. (thumbs u

-J.

1.5/8 and insanely nice for the grade. Spidey is untouched.

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing. I know it's beat, but when it comes to 1.0/1.5 range I was really happy with it because the central image on the cover was unharmed, the cover is still attached, there is no tape, there's no color touch, etc. I think it's about as nice a copy as I could hope to get for that grade/price range.

Thanks again to every single one of you for your input. It makes me feel very good about my initial impressions of the book and the price I paid. Now to decide what to do with it! I never even considered a day when I'd own this book, so I am pretty happy to have it, but now I don't know if I should just put it in a nice mylar and lock it away, or get it slabbed and frame it, or just sell it before I get hooked and decide to start collecting Spidey. Seems like a dangerous road to start down!

Oh, and as for the pressing discussion, with the book in hand my thinking was that it wasn't a good idea to press it. I had some concern about the cover, though I wonder if the bottom righthand corner that raises up a bit could be, I dunno, "spot pressed" or something? I think the book would benefit from a nice dry-cleaning at least. I'm in the anti-resto crowd, so the most that I'd ever do to the book is have it cleaned and MAAAAAYBE pressed if Joey or Matt said it was safe and beneficial. But at this exact moment, I'm leaning towards leaving it be.

Ok, enough rambling from me. This has been fun, thanks again everyone!

Although I'm at 1.0, the most important componants of the book are intact. There are some savvy graders on here that believe this is a 1.5. I respect their opinion. Hopefully they respect mine. This could go either way. What I am certain of is this is worth getting slabbed. Take a chance and send it in for the one day walk through. The slab will help preserve the book and make it more marketable. Good luck, buddy.