• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

I saw that mentioned in the other thread about the ASM 700. An animated movie rumor isn't going to push these books to the prices they are reaching.

The Superior book is the only raw one on the market right now. Simply a matter of a couple of bidders wanting it and the seller being at the right place at the right time. There are 2 9.8's that are CURRENTLY lower in price than the raw.

I saw that mentioned in the other thread about the ASM 700. An animated movie rumor isn't going to push these books to the prices they are reaching.

The Superior book is the only raw one on the market right now. Simply a matter of a couple of bidders wanting it and the seller being at the right place at the right time. There are 2 9.8's that are CURRENTLY lower in price than the raw.

Do I have the wrong search settings for this book? (shrug) I can only see a 9.6 at $600 and a green label 9.8 German reprint in the $200's... if there are 2 9.8s sub $400 bins on the bay... give me the item numbers... I'll snag them up right now...

Do I have the wrong search settings for this book? (shrug) I can only see a 9.6 at $600 and a green label 9.8 German reprint in the $200's... if there are 2 9.8s sub $400 bins on the bay... give me the item numbers... I'll snag them up right now...

Auctions, one jumped $100 after the raw sale, one is about to cross $400.

Auctions, one jumped $100 after the raw sale, one is about to cross $400.

You got my hopes up lol... :sorry:

Wasn't worth the investment to me at $200 + shipping. If you're lucky, you can get $300 + shipping on the bay. Leaves you with $54 profit. $200 to POSSIBLY make $54 is not a wise investment, IMO.

I would like to think that Campbell hopes this happens with this sale and that more of these books get into collectors hands as opposed to flippers. However, at the end of the day, he gonna bank regardless.

I think the majority of the customers who buy direct from Campbell are indeed the "flippers" who see it as an opportunity to get online and act fast to then turn around and sell them at a mark up after they've sold out.

It's the historical sales precedent and sales that the flippers do that actually keeps that part of the industry alive, so in a way, for Campbell's own economic interests, his books are better off going to the flippers than the fans first, then the "frenzy" to buy (laws of supply and demand) will continue and he can also continue to push the envelope from selling at $9.99 to $14.99 to $19.99 to $24.99 to $49.99, then as in the case of the Venom issue, go from $150 up to $200 and have it still sell out within the hour. That in-itself may have him ponder... sell 1/2 of the inventory first, then hold back the 2nd half and price it at market value or start remarking them and charging a grip of cash.

It's not exploitation or greed, it's simple business for both flippers and JSC. If the fans/collector's who want 'em stop buying and paying premiums, the laws of supply and demand may dictate a far different marketplace where short prints and variants cease to exist as they did not in the pre-Y2K era of collecting.

Easy to track. There are 5 for sale and two sold as of now. Estimated about 80-90 of them sold total. So less than 10% flippers. They have not shipped yet and I know many wait until they have it in hand.

Estimated 80-90 sold.

2-4-17 bay update:

9 currently listed

5 sold

14 total

Going to start getting into the grey area of people buying and then reselling the same issue.

Any idea at how much people will be charging for 9.6-9.8 graded ones? Should be interesting to see.

Also wonder if any green labels will make it to the bay.

I'm personally sending my signed copy for a green label, don't plan on ever selling it though.

Green label?

CGC's Qualified Grading label. It's the label they use on books with "defects" or unauthorized signitures. CGC needs a representitive to witness all signitures in order for a book to qualify for the gold SS label. Signed books from Campbell's website don't qualify. Unfortunately.

After buying a couple times directly from his website, I am not going to order anymore. While I liked the product, these prices are getting insane. To be honest, all his female characters look the same, like seeing Gen 13 over and over again. Not too much creativity either. It's not worth the chase or the price point.

After buying a couple times directly from his website, I am not going to order anymore. While I liked the product, these prices are getting insane. To be honest, all his female characters look the same, like seeing Gen 13 over and over again. Not too much creativity either. It's not worth the chase or the price point.

What comics are you referring to? Venom #3 was cheaper than buying on eBay and it was signed.

What comics are you referring to? Venom #3 was cheaper than buying on eBay and it was signed.

I stopped and did not order the Venom #3. The shenanigans with the delay and price increase did not sit well with me. Just because it is cheaper than E-Bay does not mean it's a bargain. I'm not a flipper. I just like a copy for my personal collection. He has lost my business.

I stopped and did not order the Venom #3. The shenanigans with the delay and price increase did not sit well with me. Just because it is cheaper than E-Bay does not mean it's a bargain. I'm not a flipper. I just like a copy for my personal collection. He has lost my business.

Haha, what? So you want to pay what you think is fair, not market value?

Haha, what? So you want to pay what you think is fair, not market value?

Technically, those are all just asking prices. Market value is when buyer(s) agree to pay those prices. Granted, JSC certainly seems to have a big enough fan base willing to pay high prices.

Mind, I've got no love for ebay flippers and would happily see them get screwed over by their greed.

Edited by aerischan