• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kimik said:

Wow. That is effing horrible quality control by Marvel. If this is how they treat the retailer exclusives, then I wonder how long before the retailers stop doing them?

Is this an issue of QC or is it a packaging/delivery issue?  I imagine each party along the way just blames someone else in the delivery chain.

Comics are shipped from the printer directly to a distributor, or to the store. The books don't get shipped to publishers for QC. It's happening at the printer level. But the printing facility is a factory. People there aren't looking at periodicals as collectibles that need to be coming off the presses and going into shipping boxes in 9.8 mint condition. Crinkled spines like in the photo look good to go to them. In this case it's also Marvel's fault for using the flimsy paper for the cover of a monster book. Retailers are also able to return damaged books, so in the end it mainly hurts Marvel. To a small extent the retailer also because even though they get credit, they still had to put $$ up front for the books

Edited by Oat Willy1

18 hours ago, Oat Willy1 said:

Comics are shipped from the printer directly to a distributor, or to the store. The books don't get shipped to publishers for QC. It's happening at the printer level. But the printing facility is a factory. People there aren't looking at periodicals as collectibles that need to be coming off the presses and going into shipping boxes in 9.8 mint condition. Crinkled spines like in the photo look good to go to them. In this case it's also Marvel's fault for using the flimsy paper for the cover of a monster book. Retailers are also able to return damaged books, so in the end it mainly hurts Marvel. To a small extent the retailer also because even though they get credit, they still had to put $$ up front for the books

Diamond is not the printer. Anything ordered through them would go to them to be shipped.

The only things that don't go through them are smaller independents that contract printing and ship them theirselves.

They probably are not doing anything more than opening the box to confirm what's inside.

Edited by ygogolak

On 6/13/2018 at 12:55 PM, cbalroman said:

True, however I would think they are probably close. JSC seems to use the “limited to” on all his exclusives.  The ASM 800 has similar “limited to” numbers and there are no more on his site  

You would think if the number is double that he would continue to sell until he is sold out.   Why leave money on the table. JSC is a smart business man. Keep the “print run” or “limited to” low and create the demand.  Sell out in minutes and allow flippers to flip out the gate, dust settles and secondary prices come down.  People want to get on the wagon for the next variant by him, knowing it will sell out. Rinse, repeat. 

On 6/13/2018 at 12:58 PM, ygogolak said:

Not yet they aren't. He has been have backstock sales every 3-4 months where more of lower print run ones "appear".

:whistle:

1.jpg

29 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

What's the point of a wait list if you're not going to offer up additional inventory to people on the list?  I wait listed for a set after the initial sale and never received an offer to buy the set.  Now it's going to be on sale publicly again.

The "waitlist" means you are getting in their email system.

9 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I was already in the email system.  So waitlisting literally did nothing then.  doh!

I would agree that the implications of a true waitlist is to prioritize that list 1st one in, 1st one out in terms of if an order is canceled or returned or new inventory emerges, there's a waiting list line for those who came to she online store early but not early enough, and put their names on a "waitlist" hoping to get some sort of priority consideration over the masses behind them, and get the 1st opportunity to be contacted to accept or decline the opportunity to buy once it arises. 

I think tying a wait list to an email blast creates too much ill will.  At the end of the day the $100 charged is the same $100 from the guy on the wait list VS the guy who hears about the re-solicitation and  logs on to jump in and buy it, so as a company it's better to keep loyal customers happy and grab the $100 from the guy who was on the wait list, so he'll come back again as well as feel the system works.

On 6/13/2018 at 10:31 AM, ygogolak said:

:roflmao:

a2643fc8-43b2-43e6-b08d-3d91f32a8141.jpg
The True Exclusive Seal means just that! A product sold EXCLUSIVELY on this store and nowhere else. Our comics sold by other retailers are considered aftermarket, just like eBay. Some of our competitors wholesale and share their “exclusives” with several other retailers, making it no longer a TRUE exclusive. We do not wholesale comics. It’s our belief that this practice drives down pricing and ultimately devalues the book, diminishing its long-term market value. Protect your investment: buy  TRUE Exclusives! 

You gotta love marketing nonsense. 

When comics are marketed according to their potential monetary value, rather than their entertainment value, you know we are in the era of manufactured collectibles, and can guarantee that the vast majority of all this...like those Franklin Mint products...will be worthless. 

After all...ACTUAL pricing according to ACTUAL immutable laws of supply and demand, rather than an artificial propping up of value by controlling the supply...? Heaven forbid! 

Beware, people. Beware.

On 6/13/2018 at 2:22 PM, ExNihilo said:

Just got an email from JSC stating that ASM #800 books are delayed until later this week due to extensive quality control.  Can't say I blame them, a lot of those books were torn up due to the size of it.  It still bothers me that Marvel would go cheap on the cover material for such a large book.  Honestly, if you're gonna charge customers $9.99, give them a solid product.  The same material/binding as Action Comics #1000 would have been so much better.

Every single copy of ASM #800 that I received...and I ordered 100...is shredded. I doubt there's a single 9.8 candidate, and these were brand new, straight out of the Diamond box books.

53 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You gotta love marketing nonsense. 

When comics are marketed according to their potential monetary value, rather than their entertainment value, you know we are in the era of manufactured collectibles, and can guarantee that the vast majority of all this...like those Franklin Mint products...will be worthless. 

After all...ACTUAL pricing according to ACTUAL immutable laws of supply and demand, rather than an artificial propping up of value by controlling the supply...? Heaven forbid! 

Beware, people. Beware.

Also, there boardies who get first crack at them for resale from JSC. Are they paying full retail price?

Edited by ygogolak

48 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Every single copy of ASM #800 that I received...and I ordered 100...is shredded. I doubt there's a single 9.8 candidate, and these were brand new, straight out of the Diamond box books.

Just now, ygogolak said:

Also, aren't there boardies who get first crack at them for resale from JSC?

I admittedly wonder how boardies in the pre-sale threads are able to get 9.8s on books like this or one's that are limited to like 1:200.  I mean, I know they don't guarantee 9.8's, but they seem to have a pretty good track record of delivering on them.

Also, for what it's worth, books sold out before I could even get to the cart page (at least the Ultra set).  I guess I'll just have to settle for the signed Premium set I ordered the first go around.  (was really hoping for an unsigned set)

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

I admittedly wonder how boardies in the pre-sale threads are able to get 9.8s on books like this or one's that are limited to like 1:200.  I mean, I know they don't guarantee 9.8's, but they seem to have a pretty good track record of delivering on them.

Also, for what it's worth, books sold out before I could even get to the cart page (at least the Ultra set).  I guess I'll just have to settle for the signed Premium set I ordered the first go around.  (was really hoping for an unsigned set)

They are experienced and know what to look for. Also, for books like convention issues they get in early to shows or have per-arranged deals with vendors to get first look and pluck the best.

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

They are experienced and know what to look for. Also, for books like convention issues they get in early to shows or have per-arranged deals with vendors to get first look and pluck the best.

Yeah, but in the case of online sales, they're at the mercy of the store to send good copies just like the rest of us.  And in the case of something like the JSC store which limits to 2 orders and sells out quickly, it would seem even more difficult.  But I'm guessing JSC saves copies to sell at conventions and they can go to those (before doors open as you suggested) to find the best copies available in person.  I'm just mesmerized by their ability is all.  :P

52 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Yeah, but in the case of online sales, they're at the mercy of the store to send good copies just like the rest of us.  And in the case of something like the JSC store which limits to 2 orders and sells out quickly, it would seem even more difficult.  But I'm guessing JSC saves copies to sell at conventions and they can go to those (before doors open as you suggested) to find the best copies available in person.  I'm just mesmerized by their ability is all.  :P

I'm not sure that's true with JSC and some of the resellers.

41 minutes ago, Oat Willy1 said:

They send you an email to alert you when the item is back on their site

I did not signup for the waitlist for ASM #800 and yet I received two emails as to when they would be on sale. You are just subscribing to their email list.