• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

Oh! I didn't know that 9.6 was the same one that recently sold . Didn't notice the serial #s until now lol. So the guy is trying to just flip the book?

Were you the original owner RMA? I thought you were joking lol

Yup, that was my book that I bought in a bulk variant lot about 5 years ago. I had set it aside to get signed by Campbell at some point, and it never happened. I knew it wasn't a 9.8, and you know how most moderns go...if it's not 9.8, it's trash.

Forgot I had it until recently, ran across it, pressed it, subbed it onsite at Baltimore...and Voila!

Yes, he's just trying to flip the book. More power to him. What he does with it after me ain't my concern. I just wish the results of the MCS sale had been known to me; I would have been less willing to let him talk me down. ;)

"ALL SERIOUS OFFERS CONSIDERED." Someone should send him an offer of $1,150 lol I see that seller all the time, I've often wondered if he's a collector or flipper, now I know.

Jerome

You could have just asked. ;) Martin's well known 'round these parts. He may even be a member.

But, by all means, the information isn't private. It's right there on GPA, serial number and all.

I just wish I hadn't let him talk me down. ;)

He's always got great books for sale. My first AF15 I got talked 'down' to 9K from 9.5K back in like 2010 only to get flipped on fleabay as well. He was insistent he was a fan, blah blah yada yada.

Jerome

Oh! I didn't know that 9.6 was the same one that recently sold . Didn't notice the serial #s until now lol. So the guy is trying to just flip the book?

Yup, that was my book that I bought in a bulk variant lot about 5 years ago. I had set it aside to get signed by Campbell at some point, and it never happened. I knew it wasn't a 9.8, and you know how most moderns go...if it's not 9.8, it's trash.

Forgot I had it until recently, ran across it, pressed it, subbed it onsite at Baltimore...and Voila!

Yes, he's just trying to flip the book. More power to him. What he does with it after me ain't my concern. I just wish the results of the MCS sale had been known to me; I would have been less willing to let him talk me down. ;)

Uh....that MCS copy was on both eBay and MCS for a higher price for about a month or two prior to you listing your copy on just eBay. He had it listed first for $2000 and then for $1690, and then $1500.

It's interesting that your copy sat for a couple of weeks for less, at full ask than the MCS/eBay copy, and yet someone opted to ignore your copy and pay $350 more than what you allowed yourself to get "talked down to".

I wouldn't lose any sleep over your sale, you did better than fine with it.

Gotta love those oddball, outlier MCS sales and flippers though.

-J.

Gotcha. $1150 is still a very strong price for a 9.6.

Too be honest, I don't know how my copy was graded a 9.8. I won't be cracking mine for a signature for sure. :roflmao:

Your copy sold about 5-10min before the other one.

Actually, we don't know that. The MCS listing was simply taken down a half hour after RMA accepted his offer. But RMA's sale is recorded by GPA as the later completed sale, and, regardless , both copies were available for weeks on eBay at the same time.

-J.

Actually, we don't know that. The MCS listing was simply taken down a half hour after RMA accepted his offer. But RMA's sale is recorded by GPA as the later completed sale, and, regardless , both copies were available for weeks on eBay at the same time.

-J. [/quote

Maybe the sale of the MCS copy triggered the sale of RMA's copy on eBay? Who knows.

Uh....that MCS copy was on both eBay and MCS for a higher price for about a month or two prior to you listing your copy on just eBay. He had it listed first for $2000 and then for $1690, and then $1500.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. How do you think I came up with my asking price?

It's interesting that your copy sat for a couple of weeks for less, at full ask than the MCS/eBay copy, and yet someone opted to ignore your copy and pay $350 more than what you allowed yourself to get "talked down to".

$395, but who's counting? Not sure why the quotes around "talked down to."

The copy sold at MCS, not on eBay. They are different markets, with different clientele.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over your sale, you did better than fine with it.

I haven't and won't. My copy sold to a flipper, after all, not a collector...that's not a good indicator of a strong market. I got a price I was happy with, and that's all that matters. I have very little doubt that, should I so choose, I'll be able to buy a similar copy for far less in the future.

The MCS sale took place first through MCS's website, after which it was removed from eBay manually by MCS.

I received an offer of $1,000 at 6:14 (PDT) the evening before. I countered at $1300 at 9:19. The next morning, I had a counter of $1150, and accepted it.

The timing of the MCS sale is a coincidence. Had I known about it, I would have stuck to my original offer, but $1150 was acceptable to me, so I took it.

The MCS sale took place first through MCS's website, after which it was removed from eBay manually by MCS.

I received an offer of $1,000 at 6:14 (PDT) the evening before. I countered at $1300 at 9:19. The next morning, I had a counter of $1150, and accepted it.

The timing of the MCS sale is a coincidence. Had I known about it, I would have stuck to my original offer, but $1150 was acceptable to me, so I took it.

Which is what makes it odd since your copy, even at full ask, was cheaper than the MCS copy by more than $200.

While it "might" be somewhat plausible that a comics shopper on eBay does not know they can buy direct from MCS, it is not so much to believe that an MCS shopper wouldn't know that you can buy comics on ebay- hence why MCS cross lists virtually all of their listings on eBay.

I call shenanigans.

-J.

Which is what makes it odd since your copy, even at full ask, was cheaper than the MCS copy by more than $200.

While it "might" be somewhat plausible that a comics shopper on eBay does not know they can buy direct from MCS, it is not so much to believe that an MCS shopper wouldn't know that you can buy comics on ebay- hence why MCS cross lists virtually all of their listings on eBay.

I call shenanigans.

-J.

Yes, somebody, or two somebodys, decided to buy both copies, pay for both copies, and......?

It's not reasonable to assume someone shopping MCS would also know about eBay. Believe it or not, there ARE people in the world who don't shop on eBay. Some have never (GASP!) even heard of it!

As I already explained, the sale of my copy was already in the works the evening before. The timing of the sales was a complete coincidence, because the timing of MY sale was in MY hands.

And, I have quite a lengthy blocked bidder list, so it's possible, if not necessarily probable, that my copy was not available to the buyer of the MCS copy.

Who knows?

But "calling shenanigans" without bothering to explain how or why is silly and irresponsible.

Sometimes the cigar is just a cigar.

That's really quite ridiculous. If I were an artist, I would have it contractual that I get copies of the books whose covers I actually drew, regardless of any other concerns.

so who's fault is it then? Its seems like its pretty standard practice, so I don't know if I'd blame JSC for assuming he'd get some copies. On the other hand, the company didn't agree to it and its not in the contract, so you can't really blame them.

On the other hand the company will probably suffer a bit of a PR hit, and might have a tougher time getting artists in the future, so they should probably just give him some.

But on the other other hand, maybe ALL of their copies are spoken for, and they're actually sticking tightly to their print run.

both end up looking kinda cheap IMO as a result, the company for not providing copies, and JSC for airing it out.

That's really quite ridiculous. If I were an artist, I would have it contractual that I get copies of the books whose covers I actually drew, regardless of any other concerns.

so who's fault is it then? Its seems like its pretty standard practice, so I don't know if I'd blame JSC for assuming he'd get some copies. On the other hand, the company didn't agree to it and its not in the contract, so you can't really blame them.

On the other hand the company will probably suffer a bit of a PR hit, and might have a tougher time getting artists in the future, so they should probably just give him some.

But on the other other hand, maybe ALL of their copies are spoken for, and they're actually sticking tightly to their print run.

both end up looking kinda cheap IMO as a result, the company for not providing copies, and JSC for airing it out.

Right, which is why I would have it as a contractual obligation. No assumptions necessary. If they can't be bothered, I don't draw. Simple. Contracts are two-way streets, after all.

Right, which is why I would have it as a contractual obligation. No assumptions necessary. If they can't be bothered, I don't draw. Simple. Contracts are two-way streets, after all.

Well said, totally agree.

Jerome

Totally agree! Why didn't JSC have this built into his agreement/contract ? A big artist , has a tremendous fan following, yet can't get any copies for his site?