• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

midtown comics two books bought to restored and trimmed

31 posts in this topic

I am asking those who have been to midtown comics. They have changed and I bought I fine to vf xmen 2..I sent it to cgc got back a 4.5 with glue on center page. And an xmen 94 that got a 7.5 but right side trimmed. I will call them but sold as unrestored. Now I'm one of many that I've heard have delt with this. ...buyer beware but should I ask for money back and ship them the comic? I tend to lean toward lesson learned never again. But just your thoughts. Happy Thanksgiving

Glue on a center-page one is a little weird (not sure how obvious it was), but they should have definitely caught trimming.

Was the language in the listing "unrestored?"

I would return them, but I would expect your shipping costs to/from CGC their slabbing fees to be sunk...

Sorry!

Glue on a center-page one is a little weird (not sure how obvious it was), but they should have definitely caught trimming.

I would return them, but I would expect your shipping costs and CGC fees to be sunk...

Sorry!

Actually, with restoration, the shipping costs...both ways...should be at the expense of the dealer.

I know that's what we offer.

I would return them, but I would expect your shipping costs and CGC fees to be sunk...

Sorry!

Actually, with restoration, the shipping costs...both ways...should be at the expense of the dealer.

Sorry, I meant shipping costs to and from CGC...

If you cover that, I would say you are more generous than what I have experienced.

A few years ago I looked at some of there wall books, I pointed out what I saw as restoration to the guy working.

And?

And what, he put them back on the wall. His job description looked like running the till and putting comics in bags for customers.

Not too long ago I was looking at a nice Silver Age wall book at their Times Square location, and I asked the clerk whether they had a return policy for books that a third party grader (CGC) determines to be restored, and he responded no, there was no guarantee on resoration, and that the book was being sold "as is.". I put the book back.

I think some just don't realize the amount of books that are trimmed and or color touched in our hobby.

A short example is a local buyer that has a huge collection. His problem is he is very OCD to the point of its a serious problem he has had to deal with for many years. I am quite sure its a documented mental condition with this person because its that bad.

When he was a younger man his obsession extended to his collection as well. He would routinely color touch his books to make them visually appear nicer. Back then(70s&80s) not a big issues. Again this person did this because it was his personal collection he wasn't selling them. When those books are sold and they will be eventually it will flood my local market with color touch and trimmed books.

Its one thing to buy them knowing, but I am quite sure many don't know it.

Buying an older collection has a lot of perils, but the one that always worries me now is restoration on raw books.

Sorry!

If you cover that, I would say you are more generous than what I have experienced.

....... and that's exactly what he is.

When I had an ASM # 9 that I bought from Nick come back with a fraction of colour touch, I got a full refund of all my expenses for the book. Nick always has been the most classy and honest of dealers.

Sorry!

....... and that's exactly what he is.

When I had an ASM # 9 that I bought from Nick come back with a fraction of colour touch, I got a full refund of all my expenses for the book. Nick always has been the most classy and honest of dealers.

Very cool (thumbs u