• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Lego Thread - Yes, Comic Book Related
2 2

408 posts in this topic

Aaaaaaaand just took a look...

Millennium Falcon: 7965 Sold Out

Lego has sold out of the current incarnation of the Falcon. Whatever is at retail is all that will exist. Why is this kind of important?

Rumors abound that they will re-release the monster UCS Millennium Falcon set that retailed for $500 a few years ago containing 5,195 parts.

That obviously may or may not be true, but with new movies coming out, there is a strong chance that we will get a new Falcon and X-Wing which will probably be revealed by SDCC.

Lego has sold out of the current incarnation of the Falcon. Whatever is at retail is all that will exist. Why is this kind of important?

Rumors abound that they will re-release the monster UCS Millennium Falcon set that retailed for $500 a few years ago containing 5,195 parts.

That obviously may or may not be true, but with new movies coming out, there is a strong chance that we will get a new Falcon and X-Wing which will probably be revealed by SDCC.

I wonder if that would tank the current market for the originals? hm

Oh absolutely...

I will publicly state the dirty little secret that all the MIB collectors do not want to acknowledge. Once a set is discontinued, it is cheaper to source the parts to build the set than it is to buy it on the secondary market. The only thing that I feel maintains longterm growth are sets that have retired parts in them or sets of a specific color. The Statue of Liberty is a good example of that. However there are accounts of people who have been ordering the parts from Bricklink over the years to build their own UCS Millennium Falcon with the only real expensive piece being the radar dish as that was exclusive to that set. The only sets I have in the box are sets in storage that I have not had the time to do anything with and an extra Death Star since I still believe that is the best SW Lego set ever produced.

I missed out on the original Dark Knight Tumbler. I wanted one and was not going to pay $200-$300 that people are asking for it since the set contained very common parts. I sourced the parts together for around $60 if I remember correctly.

Edited by Buzzetta

The Lego Movie sets are outstanding. When visiting my company's HQ two weeks ago, I had a chance to run over to the local Lego store and they had them all on display. Talk about tempting you to buy everything.

Even the little Build-Your-Own bins where you assemble your own three figures is so tempting. They have all sorts of fantastic pieces for hats, coats, tools and faces.

:cloud9:

Oh absolutely...

I will publicly state the dirty little secret that all the MIB collectors do not want to acknowledge. Once a set is discontinued, it is cheaper to source the parts to build the set than it is to buy it on the secondary market. The only thing that I feel maintains longterm growth are sets that have retired parts in them or sets of a specific color. The Statue of Liberty is a good example of that. However there are accounts of people who have been ordering the parts from Bricklink over the years to build their own UCS Millennium Falcon with the only real expensive piece being the radar dish as that was exclusive to that set. The only sets I have in the box are sets in storage that I have not had the time to do anything with and an extra Death Star since I still believe that is the best SW Lego set ever produced.

I missed out on the original Dark Knight Tumbler. I wanted one and was not going to pay $200-$300 that people are asking for it since the set contained very common parts. I sourced the parts together for around $60 if I remember correctly.

This, big time.

I collect mainly the mid-80s and early 90s Castle sets, and sealed box sets are insane. Sets that you can source for $20 or less in parts go for well over $100. I just built a Blacksmith Shop that I had back in 1984 when it came out (set 6040) for maybe $10 in parts. Sealed box sets on eBay have sold for $145 and up, and there's a couple of sets listed right now at $244 and $425. If sealed box is your thing, have at it, but I just want to build and display :screwy:

Age of Ultron sets have made their way into the latest Lego catalog.

gJBYPnb.png

Nice to finally see these new sets. The Jan-June 2015 catalogs in our local shops didn't have these. First thing I noticed is the Quinjet, it's pretty different from the earlier released Quinjet. And now we have another motorcycle for Cap, that's now the 3rd one if I'm not mistaken. :insane:

Nice to finally see these new sets. The Jan-June 2015 catalogs in our local shops didn't have these. First thing I noticed is the Quinjet, it's pretty different from the earlier released Quinjet. And now we have another motorcycle for Cap, that's now the 3rd one if I'm not mistaken. :insane:

Lego is very savvy with little kit tweaks in order to drive new purchases.

I have a guy at work that collects all the Lego Movie kits. In order to have every version of Unikitty, he's had to purchase five kits now as they came out with different expressions and colors.

140519b-lego-movie-unikitty-compared.jpg

And now he found out there is a new Unikitty coming out soon.

:ohnoez:

Because while comic books ask you to get lost in their world, Lego asks you to create the world yourself. If you can envision it and figure out how to best put what you see in your mind together, you can build anything.

Think of it as an artistic medium.

Kav I want you to check this guy's stuff out. His name is Nathan Sawaya.

http://brickartist.com/

You know I would understand the appeal of creating stuff yourself but when these sets all come with custom pieces that can only be put together one way, that explanation doesn't work to me. Not that it really needs explaining , I'm sure lots of people don't get the stuff Im into, but yeah Lego is a bit if a mystery to me too

I was into Lego's when I was young, and enjoyed them. Grew out of them long ago, but our kids love them. I love looking at the different sets (esp. the superhero sets) and minifigures. We took our kids to the Lego Kid Fest in Raleigh, NC a couple of years ago - the exhibits were great.

We took the kids to see "The LEGO Movie" and we all liked it, and we bought it on DVD. Oh, and the different Lego video games are a LOT of fun if you're into the characters/movies (Batman, Marvel, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc.).

I've had my eye on this set for the last two months but was waiting for it to dip below $110. I think it will come back in stock after the holiday season. A lot of parent out there are buying up Legos for there kids.