• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CHURCH COPY ACTION COMICS #1

157 posts in this topic

"And the comics. Bob's books were available for the first time and I saw a feeding frenzy in Steve's office. It was an unbelievable sight."

It was, at times, more than a frenzy. Civility out the window....people were trading with books they had not purchased but were in their hands within the room, ....becoming proprietary about boxes..elbowed out of the way...Frankly, I simply went to the corner and sat down....jon

that was the "air rights" phenomenon! If you grabbed a box off the cart first, you "owned the rights" to first refusal on all the books within. It was an unspoken rule, like waiting for someone to finish looking in a particular bin before you start in at a convention... but turned upside down when later on, certain delaers just said they wanted the entire box and began to "trade" them for books in others "possession" that they wanted. And since the books were in title order, certain boxes contained a full run of Cap, or Detective ....

madness!!!!

That wasn't the Church copy it was Geppi's. He was asking 75K for it.

EDIT: It was a VG/F sold for 75K. hail.gif

Thanks for clarifying, Rip. I was confused. That book looks a lot nicer than VG/FN.

"And the comics. Bob's books were available for the first time and I saw a feeding frenzy in Steve's office. It was an unbelievable sight."

It was, at times, more than a frenzy. Civility out the window....people were trading with books they had not purchased but were in their hands within the room, ....becoming proprietary about boxes..elbowed out of the way...Frankly, I simply went to the corner and sat down....jon

Jon,

Have you ever seen the Church Action Comics #1? Do you know if there's a picture of it anywhere?

tth2:

Sorry, I can't remember those details, but I do remember Chuck Rozanski's display of Edgar Church artwork. I thought it was very cool that Chuck kept and displayed the art to show a side of the guy that many of us never knew.

From what I was told by a Canadian collector/dealer who attended the Grand Opening of Diamond Int'l Galleries:

Friday was the unveiling of the gallery in the evening.

Many East Coast dealers went home after the dinner. Geppi did not pre-announce he was bringing in skids of boxes full of the Overstreet collection after the Sat. breakfast.

Some collectors lucked out & grabbed a box full of Timely's or GA Detectives. Other had dibs on a box of GA Spirits. crazy.gif

I have seen the Church copy of Action # 1 and it is SWEEEEEEEEET! cloud9.gif

Blows away the 8.5!

Does it have White pages? cloud9.gif

Was there a Church Detective Comics #1?

What about Detective #27?

Blows away the 8.5!

Pages, from what I remember, were white.

The Tec 1 was offered to me at one time but, because I felt it would only grade between 6 and 7, I felt it was too low grade for my collection foreheadslap.gif

The Tec 27, if I remember correctly, has some glue on the spine. I think it was a 7.5. I passed on it (without asking the price first makepoint.gif) and told Rogovin about it. During the deal the guy offered it for a real reasonable price and I wanted to kill myself frown.gif I now ALWAYS ask a price before turning something down....

I did get some Wonder Woman Penn copies from him though thumbsup2.gif

Blows away the 8.5!

The Tec 1 was offered to me at one time but, because I felt it would only grade between 6 and 7, I felt it was too low grade for my collection foreheadslap.gif

The Tec 27, if I remember correctly, has some glue on the spine. I think it was a 7.5. I passed on it (without asking the price first makepoint.gif) and told Rogovin about it. During the deal the guy offered it for a real reasonable price and I wanted to kill myself frown.gif I now ALWAYS ask a price before turning something down....

you sure it has glue? The Superman#1 has glue plus other stuff (blue label) but not the Tec 27....

Blows away the 8.5!

you sure it has glue? The Superman#1 has glue plus other stuff (blue label) but not the Tec 27....

Rob Rogovin and Dave Anderson both told me the MH Tec 27 has a large crease on the FC. Otherwise it's sharp.

A number of the Mile High books have double slash marks which were written in pencil in the top left corner of the cover. These books were bought secondhand by Edgar Church.

The Tec 27 has (had?) some glue on the spine. The Supe 1 has a little bit of color touch but the 2 small pieces that were re-attached to the 2 pages are now gone.

I think there are 2 pencil marks on the Tec 27 because it is a second hand Church copy. But I also remember a crease...........

Jon,

Have you ever seen the Church Action Comics #1? Do you know if there's a picture of it anywhere?

Nope , never had the pleasure.....