• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CHURCH COPY ACTION COMICS #1

157 posts in this topic

I pretty sure the owner of the Larsen Action #1 also owns the Church Detective #27... but that could be hearsay. If so, its a pretty good one-two punch. Unless you compare it to the Dentists pair. He's got quite a pair, he does!

While we're talking about Action #1s,

why aren't we asking Jon to post his scan of the Larson copy?

Jon...where are you?

I do not have the Larson copy...last i knew it was owned by a collector in NYC.....good guy, who i have not seen much of.....jon

Dave the Dentist DEFINITELY told me it was a 9.8 and he'd never sell it.

Isn't that what Bob Overstreet graded it at a decade or so ago? He may be quoting Bob's grade. Given that some of his MINT95 to MINT99 books from the 1992 Overstreet Grading Guide have been graded by CGC at lower grades, it's not likely they'd give it a 9.8 today.

Given that some of his MINT95 to MINT99 books from the 1992 Overstreet Grading Guide have been graded by CGC at lower grades, it's not likely they'd give it a 9.8 today.

Maybe so, but it'll never be allowed NEAR CGC, so it's a moot point.

I doubt its a "CGC 9.8" It was an early second-hand Church copy, and was handled more than later issues. Has anyone charted the grading of Church copies by year? That is, to try to determine some kind of pattern as to when th e9.6s and 9.8s are grouped, early or late or in particular years for particular titles?

Just a statistically curiousity, but might prove interesting..

Not a moot point given that grading as a whole has gotten tighter over the last decade, including the most recent version of the 2002 Overstreet Grading Guide who cooperated with CGC to create a tighter set of standards.

i have always assumed the middle part (1941-1945) had the cream of the crop...the earlier and later years were not of the same superb quality (but were still quite nice on their own)

makes sense to me... still it would be interesting to see some data, if it were possible...

Not a moot point given that grading as a whole has gotten tighter over the last decade, including the most recent version of the 2002 Overstreet Grading Guide who cooperated with CGC to create a tighter set of standards.

I think it is a moot point as well. If this book is recognized by our hobby as the best existing Action #1 out there, then while it may be a curiousity to know what it grades at, it really doesn't matter. "It's the best there is, and the most valuable comic book in existense". That kind of sums it up. Wheather it is a 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, 9.9 or even a 10 doesn't make it any more valuable, now does it?

Looks like a FFE with the outer cover removed to me.

Interesting that it was posted on a student's site as part of an American Studies program at the University of Virginia. I wonder if he knew it was a reprint.

Here's his Superman project:

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~ug02/superman/home.html

PS- Note the page title and the date "Identity Crisis, 12/00"

Fischler said it'll grade out as a 9.2,...but if he ever had it in his hands,..he'd call it a 9.6. Always easier to jaw-bone down something so u can get it at bargian basement prices. Kinda like he did with the Frankenstein sheet. The poor guy got 20% of real value.

-----------------------

"Fishler said that it was about a 9.2 and Steve B. said it would probably grade out somewhere between a 9.0 and a 9.4."

Just for clarification:

I thought I said: It would grade out AT LEAST 9.0-9.4

I have never graded that book, for all I know it could grade out 9.6 or better confused-smiley-013.gif

As I recall the conversation, which we had as we were walking outside of Moscone Center with Povertyrow (who was talking about old restoration ads touting "trimming for that MINT look!") on the way to the W Hotel bar, it went like this:

Me: Have you seen the Church copy of Action #1?

You: Yes, I have.

Me: Awesome. Can you tell me what you think it would grade out at if you guys graded it? You know, just a general range?

You: Somewhere between 9.0 and 9.4.

That is as close to exact as I recall the conversation, and I have a pretty good recollection of such things. (Not to mention the fact that we were discussing the most important book in the hobby, so the conversation was burned into my brain. cloud9.gif) From the way you said it and in the context of our discussion, I understood that you hadn't actually sat down with the book in the grading room to grade it and that this was just a loose estimate. Lord knows that I've eyeballed books and given them one estimate of a grade range and then reached a higher final grade outside of that range after a full examination of the book. I certainly am not going to pin you down on this statement if you ever do grade the book and give it a 9.6. It isn't like there's a better copy anywhere, so it kind of gets academic at that level as far as I'm concerned. confused-smiley-013.gif

And just as an aside, I think Steve Fishler said once on these forums that he would grade it 9.2. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

maybe... but not in this case. This is a one-of-a-kind book. The owner knows exactly what he's got, and even Steve as sharp as he is cannot work any kind of magic sleight of hand to change the owner's confidence in the comic. And whether its a 9.2 or 9.6 is kinda irrelevant. Its still gonna be, when all is said and done, the best copy of the best book.