• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Personal Comic Book/Original Art Acquisitions of 2014!

315 posts in this topic

I mainly focused on Strange Tales and Doctor Strange in my purchases this year, so here are my top 3:

#1: Strange Tales 111 CGC 9.4 OWW, Winnipeg

Just a tough book to get in high grade (only 4 9.4, 3 higher). Key second Doctor Strange, first appearance of Baron Mordo, a great pedegree book with perfect QP and nice PQ, no chipping, nice glossy and bright cover. I love this book.

ST111CGC94_sm.jpg

#2: Strange Tales 115 CGC 9.4 OWW, Pacific Coast

Another early Doctor Strange Ditko key, The Doctor's 4th appearance featuring his origin story. Great eye appeal and QP on this book, plus its a Pacific Coast ;)

ST115CGC94_sm.jpg

#3: Strange Tales 157 CGC 9.6 White, Rocky Mountain

I had several contenders for this spot. I picked this one because its been so elusive to find. Rare in grade, minor key, 1st Living Tribunal in cameo, just a beautiful bright cover and white pages (looks better than the scan). A slight miswrap, but I couldn't pass this copy up, its otherwise perfect.

ST157CGC96_sm.jpg

Thanks for looking!

My grail pickup this year was this Schomburg Classic, have had a couple incomplete/frankencopies of this book but finally got my keeper. Not a big fan of arrival dates, but June, 1944 is sort of relevant to the cover image here. The centerfold splash is awesome, which is why it's sometimes missing. lol

cap37_3_5_zpse47b40aa.jpg

Awesome, awesome book! :cloud9: The June 1944 stamp makes it even cooler!

I mainly focused on Strange Tales and Doctor Strange in my purchases this year, so here are my top 3:

[size=1

#2: Strange Tales 115 CGC 9.4 OWW, Pacific Coast

Another early Doctor Strange Ditko key, The Doctor's 4th appearance featuring his origin story. Great eye appeal and QP on this book, plus its a Pacific Coast ;)

ST115CGC94_sm.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Great book! :applause:

1.) Journey into Mystery #83 CGC 1.5

Nice colors, OW-W pages, and great eye appeal for a 1.5. I'm happy with it! (thumbs u

JIM83CGC15Bestpic-smaller_zps6bea8eef.jpg

2.) Robert Atkins "Firefly" commission on G.I. Joe ARAH 196 CGC SS 9.8

G.I. Joe has a ton of nostalgia for me. I grew up with G.I. Joe toys and the Joe ARAH comics are what got me hooked on comics. The toy figure "Firefly" was always one of my favorites.

Robert Atkins did an awesome job on this commission for me.

It was just crowned the new "Best of the Best" G.I. Joe Sketch cover in the signature room. (thumbs u

Here is a picture of it in progress:

FireflyinprogressbyRobertAtkins_zps2f49cfdc.jpg

Finished cover:

GIJoe196CGCRobertAtkinsFireflysmaller_zps33dc7c83.jpg

3.) Thor #385 CGC SS 9.8 Signed by Stan Lee

One of the few issues written by Stan Lee in the 80's, this book is incredibly tough to find in CGC 9.8. I spent YEARS looking for a copy to get graded.

I loved this comic as a kid and easily read it 1,000 times. Best HULK vs. THOR fight in comics. They beat the hell out of each other. Almost the entire comic is a fight between them. But the story also has a lesson about how pride can cause us to do the wrong thing in life.

Hulk kicks the out of Thor, and Thor keeps coming back for more because he has too much pride to give up or surrender. In the end Hulk is the one who stops fighting claiming victory, and Thor is forced to look at all the destruction and death around him they caused because he kept fighting. If he would have simply said, yeah Hulk you're stronger it would have been avoided. The title of the story was "Be Thou God or Monster!" referring to Thor's revelation at the end.

This is my only comic signed by Stan Lee, and it was the perfect choice since I wanted to get a book he actually wrote that I loved during my childhood.

Thor385CGC98SSCopy_zps90ceffe9.jpg

I wanted to see what unfolded tonight before I posted this....

Top 3 Comics and Top 3 Pieces of Art obtained in 2014.

Comics: I picked up a few early Action Comics this year and other GA books but only wanted to post one book from each character.

Comics:

Action Comics 41 CGC 5.0 - Old Label - Currently sitting in Florida awaiting a regrading. I patiently await its return. Those that know me, know I was looking for one of these for quite some time. Purchased over the boards from Fantasyland. Action 27 (eBay), 33 (Quadman - thx Randy), and 43(Heritage) almost made the cut here but that #41 was on my list for a long time.

Captain America 47 - Another book I was on the hunt for, Cap 47 is the "Missiles to NYC" cover. Purchased through Heritage, this book is also in Florida where it will be taken care of by the Kangaroo and regraded in Franklin's Tower. A small amount of CT didn't bother me but I would like to make the book look as nice as possible.

Batman 20 - Another book that a few knew I was looking for. I recently won this in last month's Heritage auction and I patiently await its arrival. Not much to be said about this book other than it has vibrant yellows and this GA cover really 'pops'.

Going to cheat and add one more before I move onto the art... Finally upgraded my ASM 14. I have a few copies but finally have something a little nicer for my permanent collection.

Art: I picked up a lot of pages of things I liked this year. Nova's 1st Flight, First Eternal Warrior and a few other pages almost made the cut, but these were the pages that meant the most.

First, I had to pick GI Joe 20 Page 17, featuring Clutch, the first GI Joe I ever owned from coincidentally, one of the first Joe comics I ever read. I almost picked the most current Joe page I picked up, or the cover that is on its way... but this had more meaning. I picked this up through Clink.

Second: Raiders of the Lost Ark #3 Page 3. I picked this up on eBay from a boardie who was advertising it here. From the comic series that introduced us to Dr Henry Jones Jr. This page featured a classic sequence in the film with pencils by John Buscema.

Third: Amazing Spider-man #25 / #466 Pg 17 with art by Romita Jr. J.R. Jr. shows another day in the life of Spider-man as he returns from his latest adventure and quickly changes clothes so Peter Parker can stop by and visit his Aunt. I won this off of eBay from a new seller. I rolled the dice on a new seller with 0 feedback and I was very pleasantly surprised.

What am I looking for in 2015? That's for another thread.

ac41a.png

Cap47FC.jpeg

Batman20a.jpeg

asm14.jpg

gijoe20pg17.jpg

Raiders3Page3.jpg

D4A75269-2E22-4BDA-9853-CF5914638611.jpg

My 3 (plus honorable mentions :shy: )

X-MEN #1 signed by Jack "King" Kirby thank you Primetime (worship)

AA552991-8AA2-43D5-AC7E-745F85AF82A1_zpsv7k5ejbg.jpg

Xaime Hernandez L+R Splash Page for 100 Rooms

lf-1_zps011e9725.jpg

Fantastic Four 1-12 (minus #5) thanks to Aces (#4, #6-#12) and Flaming Telepath (#1 + #2) and Rip (#3) (worship)

F5C36072-DE97-4152-89A4-1CC7262FF856_zpsxplberl6.jpg

Honorable Mentions :whee:

SILVER SURFER (thank you dumb luck and Wolff's Flea Market)

B4DED11D-9695-4433-9DA6-4B77C6F839F4_zpskc2bxmpo.jpg

3rd Eye Posters from the only Physician I trust, Dr. Balls (worship)

3RD_MEDUSA.JPG

3RD_THOR.JPG

3RD_ETERNITY.JPG

Are you the guy on Tumblr with the amazing Jaime OA collection?

It's hard to pick, I got very few books this year, but what I did get were some of my favourites in my collection!

I don't have a scanner yet (maybe I will for Christmas?) would be about time! Here are some crappy pics!

arnie_zpsb592794d.jpg

Arnold Schwarzenegger!

D0A61722-749B-4AEC-8044-F6D001537C11_zps3vzvlwbt.jpg

Pre-CGC. It got a 9.8, CGC SS :)

Signed by nearly all the Avengers cast!!

5EB629EB-2A9D-4BCB-9D88-931D73CC366A_zpsoeypvsim.jpg

I had my Tales of Suspense 39, cracked and signed by Stan Lee. Stayed a 1.5 :banana: You can just about see it in the picture.

It would be difficult to narrow it down to 5 let alone 3...I did pick up an uber low grade FF #1 but being graded at this time so no pic but other than that all of mine would be Golden...Nice books so far everyone and congrats (thumbs u

Here are my top books in no particular order...all relatively tough books to locate...and yes I know I cheated but hey everyone likes looking at comics right :grin:

15436864701_8e0e4c7111_c.jpg

15739142375_c82ca8b5fc_z.jpg

14623132230_6ab85712b4_z.jpg

13757239895_6e65eecb1c_z.jpg

15306364793_2d3063f5f9_c.jpg

15495497728_8db59b8140_c.jpg

15738727390_69775f7633_z.jpg

15657169596_c871ca0f70_c.jpg

WOW...I really cheated whoops!! couldn't help myself sorry lol

2014 was a good year for me. I managed to acquire quite a few cool items. Here are my top three:

Weird Fantasy 13 "The Die is Cast" page 3 by Wally Wood.

I have always wanted a Wood EC sf page, but the right one never came along. After a few years of patience the right page finally turned up. It has all the stuff I like in a Wood sf page (except the female, but I hope to get a nice page one day): a space ship, space ship interiors, a lot of characters and some zip-a-tone.

zwood_zps042a6ff8.jpg

Famous Funnies 209 to 214.

I have always been a big fan of the Frazetta Buck Rogers covers and was presented with the opportunity to purchase the first 6 of them. They all present rather nice, ranging from fn+ to vf+.

I hope to get my hands on those that I'm missing some day.

DSC_00011280x1116_zpseb4e2ebe.jpg

Crime SuspenStories 6 "A Toast to Death" page 4 by Johnny Craig.

I have been a huge fan of Craig's EC work since I first discovered it years ago. The market has been lacking nice panel pages for years and I was surprised when a friend (thank you again (worship)) helped me acquire this page. This page features all the things I like about Craig's EC work: a good looking female and a macabre scene, in this case the getting rid of a dead body. And of course some amazing inks.

zcraig_zps502c2bf9.jpg

2014 was a good year for me. I managed to acquire quite a few cool items. Here are my top three:

Crime SuspenStories 6 "A Toast to Death" page 4 by Johnny Craig.

I have been a huge fan of Craig's EC work since I first discovered it years ago. The market has been lacking nice panel pages for years and I was surprised when a friend (thank you again (worship)) helped me acquire this page. This page features all the things I like about Craig's EC work: a good looking female and a macabre scene, in this case the getting rid of a dead body. And of course some amazing inks.

zcraig_zps502c2bf9.jpg

:sumo: this is downright awesome

I wanted to see what unfolded tonight before I posted this....

Raiders3Page3.jpg

:headbang:

Who drew and inked that? Reminds me of Bob Brown pencils and Klaus Janson inks.

I got mixed up and just edited my post while you were typing yours. lol

I recognized the Janson inks but could place them immediately :facepalm:

Reminds me of Daredevil in the #120's and #130's when Brown penciled in a very Buscemaesque style and Janson inked.

it's a great looking piece.