• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Personal Comic Book/Original Art Acquisitions of 2014!

315 posts in this topic

That Toth story is spectacular!

My big three this year was all art (I don't really buy comics for myself anymore). It must have been a good year when A prime George Perez splash page doesn't make the "Top 3" cut.

This is what did make it:

Wally Wood THUNDER Agents #8, full page pinup.

TkOsVi5s_1404141014551_zps44fa1866.jpg

Joe Kubert - Brave & Bold #34, the first ever appearance of the Silver Age Hawkman and Hawkgirl

sbEUNYdJ_0311141027341_zpsd3e66c02.jpg

JLA #21 - The first ever appearance of the JSA in JLA, and the first Silver Age appearances of Dr. Fate and Hourman.

SZg3ocvO_0311141038591_zps596ecb62.jpg

Custom Sideshow Spider-woman.

Cause that's how I roll. :cool:

large.jpg

Tex Wolverine page :headbang:

large.jpg

And Spider-woman #9, a nothing book to most, but it finished off my 9.8 run. I was so excited when saw the grade when it arrived. :whee:

large.jpg

Glenn… that Texeira Wolverine page is wonderful!

On my part it‘s pretty easy, they are surely the lowgrade FF#2 and #5… I am very happy although I would love to have a raw #5 to replace the signed one, as I don’t like signatures on cover… even if it is Stan! :D

J8almMuh.jpg

g3tyjVAh.jpg

Glenn… that Texeira Wolverine page is wonderful!

On my part it‘s pretty easy, they are surely the lowgrade FF#2 and #5… I am very happy although I would love to have a raw #5 to replace the signed one, as I don’t like signatures on cover… even if it is Stan! :D

J8almMuh.jpg

g3tyjVAh.jpg

Thanks! Hard to pick between the two I have. lol

Great books! I love the cover of FF2, don't see it enough. :cloud9:

Custom Sideshow Spider-woman.

Cause that's how I roll. :cool:

large.jpg

Tex Wolverine page :headbang:

large.jpg

And Spider-woman #9, a nothing book to most, but it finished off my 9.8 run. I was so excited when saw the grade when it arrived. :whee:

large.jpg

Damn that custom portrait is nice. How much did that cost you?

Pretty much what the exclusives go for now. :grin:

That's cool - I didn't know you had gotten one of those!

Fun video done by the Customizer.

Still can't embed a video from my phone :ohnoez:

It's been another vintage year in the OA hobby for me - picked up a lot of great pieces, only a fraction of which have been posted in my CAF gallery. Out of those acquisitions that I've made public, I'll go with these three for my Acquisitions of the Year:

1. Paul Smith - Uncanny X-Men #172 Cover Art - *The* cover to the comic a friend lent to me which got me hooked on comics in 1983. The most nostalgic and meaningful piece of original art I could ever hope to attain in this hobby! (Note: the personalization in the UPC box has been masked to conceal the former owner's identity. He offered to have Paul Smith remove the personalization, but I refused - I feel the personalization adds charm, character and an interesting backstory/provenance to the piece).

photo PaulSmithUncannyX-Men172CoverMasterredacted-1.jpg

2. John Romita, Jr. - Uncanny X-Men #176 Cover Art - UXM #172 was the issue that hooked me on comics, but it was a friend's copy. When I decided to become a regular reader/collector, the first comic I bought off the stands at the local 7-11 with my own six dimes was this one, UXM #176. These two covers are like my childhood memories distilled onto two 11 x 17" sheets of art board. :cloud9:

photo JohnRomitaJrUncannyX-Men176coverresized.jpg

3. Alan Davis - Uncanny X-Men #213 pp. 19-20 - The Mutant Massacre was the last really great X-Men storyline for me. I mean, sure, there were still some good stories to come in the following years, but none that have really stuck with me as much as those in the GSXM1 to UXM 213 run. I'm very happy to have secured the best two pages from the last issue of the storyline, UXM #213, featuring Wolverine and Sabretooth going at it in one of their earliest battles!

photo AlanDavisUncannyX-Men213p19.jpg

photo AlanDavisUncannyX-Men213p20.jpg

Love the 172 cover. Great story too.

Didn't see you had picked up the 213 interior page. Another sweet one.

Yeah!! Let's keep quoting it so that we can wear out the scroll bars!!

Or, instead of being such a bad tempered mess all the time you could just send someone a PM and explain how they can prevent it or just politely do it here. Some people have no idea.

:makepoint:

Well to be fair Roy you used to get bent of shape telling people about the search button function all the time. :makepoint:

But Yes Mike should lighten up.

Or, instead of being such a bad tempered mess all the time you could just send someone a PM and explain how they can prevent it or just politely do it here. Some people have no idea.

Well to be fair Roy you used to get bent of shape telling people about the search button function all the time. :makepoint:

But Yes Mike should lighten up.

Actually, you have to get that right. I used to help people figure out how to use the search button by posting suggestions (including a link to Gemma's post on how to use it)

If I was telling people to use the search button it was usually a :baiting:

Unless it was you. Then I would just put the boots to you. :cloud9:

I spent '14 putting together early Marvel runs. No keys to speak of, but some really nice mid-grade early issues of every title. My favorites would be:

ASM #6-CGC 4.5 OWW

FF #12-CGC 4.5 OW (courtesy of Quality Comics) Looks more like a 5.5.

Incr. Hulk #5-CGC/CVA 5.5. Blazing copy bought here on the boards.

Really a fun collecting year for me. Hope it was for everyone else as well.

I filled all of my ASM holes this year besides #1 and AF 15. The best being:

ASM 2 CGC 4.0. The most I spent on any one collectible this year, and the second most I've ever spent on a collectible behind TMNT #1. But it was worth it, this book's a beaut.

34e9po9.jpg

Also my only Spidey OA purchase this year, good ol' Peter and Aunt May from the comic strip 1983:

24zlkxe.jpg

As a lifelong TMNT fan, it was very cool to finally meet Kevin Eastman this year at the Gem City Comic Con. I couldn't pass up the chance to get a custom drawing for $50. I just made it in at 18/20:

21j0pc2.jpg

Honorable mentions: ASM 14 raw VG, ASM 10 raw VG, TMNT #1 6th printing hardcover.

I'm currently in the state of laying low. Planning to attack the big ones in 2015 (or at least one of them).

Not my job to mollycoddle the noobs.

But it is to act like a bad tempered mess?

I'm fairly sure this is not the road you really want to travel. You stop and I won't have to take you to the woodshed.