• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Funny books you regret selling in 2014

31 posts in this topic

Every now and then I terribly regret selling a comic at a certain time or price or at all for that matter, but that usually takes a while to kick in. Some times books sell for ridiculously less than what I paid for them, some times books just skyrocket into pricey and never before known atmospheres right after I sell them for much less (I am usually very lucky in selling comics right before a blockbuster movie about them/ the character is announced), some times I just regret letting go of them, because I would have liked to keep them a little longer after all. I parted with some of my most beloved books this year, which took me years and much persuasion to acquire and I immediately regretted letting go of them the moment I put them up for sale.

Let's see some 2014 selling regrets :ohnoez:

I'll post my regrets a little later :gossip:

George :hi:

No selling regrets this year but the two that still kick me are:

Cap 3 CGC 4.0 (in 2004)

Action 14 13 CGC 4.0 (in 2007)

Blah.

I remember that book :cloud9: had an interesting color variation

yep the 13 (not the 14) and the blue logo had a printing error so the color was a faded blue. I never was able to track it down. I have not seen it public or private since it left my hands at Wondercon 2007.

Cap 3 CGC 4.0 (in 2004)

Blah.

yep the 13 (not the 14) and the blue logo had a printing error so the color was a faded blue. I never was able to track it down. I have not seen it public or private since it left my hands at Wondercon 2007.

Wondercon yes it was great being in SF

Cap 3 CGC 4.0 (in 2004)

Blah.

Wondercon yes it was great being in SF

miss it in SF/oakland for sure

Traded my Action 7 and Tec 27 coverless for resto work

Sold VG sup 1 missing back cover for under a grand.

Sold my MPFW covers for 100 bucks numbers 2-3 and 4

Now that's a tough year! :o

I find it best not to allow too many regrets, but instead to focus on the future. Collecting is a search - hopes, wishes, aspirations. Perhaps it is compensation for the absence of fulfillment in life; for some it is control, power and wealth - you can decide that for yourself.

When my collection becomes a dead letter office, it feels more like a mummy's tomb...

...okay, that last part? I've no idea what that feels like. I was just waxing poetical.

I'm always selling to buy and try not to miss any book too much. I try to look at the overall shape of my collection and watch it evolve. Otherwise my collection, such as it is, would have stagnated long ago. I've sold entire collections several times over the years for that reason.

"See - want - buy" does not necessarily translate into "keep" for me. I flip far more than I hold onto. (I usually find I need a book in my hands, and if it falls through, I flip.)

There are some books I have not so far gotten bored with, but few that have been with me more than a decade.

Sometimes a sale is forced - usually a bigger book to raise a war chest. A couple of those I regret. i.e Planet #1 in 8.5 this year. But I was happier with what it bought me than if I'd kept it.

There is also the anticipation of replacing a sold book with another - perhaps better - copy later on. I love that. I have a far smaller collection than I used to - but grades are much higher overall. The nicer the book, the less likely it will outstay it's welcome. But not always...

Great idea for a thread btw.

I find it best not to allow too many regrets, but instead to focus on the future. Collecting is a search - hopes, wishes, aspirations. Perhaps it is compensation for the absence of fulfillment in life; for some it is control, power and wealth - you can decide that for yourself.

When my collection becomes a dead letter office, it feels more like a mummy's tomb...

...okay, that last part? I've no idea what that feels like. I was just waxing poetical.

Poetic waxing is less painful than the other kind I'm told, and when mummies get mad they tend to unravel.

I'm disinclined from selling these because an ancient curse might be involved. :eek:

1aa09d8b-aec0-402d-a299-e924f827c14e_zpsb393810a.jpg62c1a7f5-7ae7-413e-9a18-8d8824edde2a_zps37306741.jpg

I'm always selling to buy and try not to miss any book too much. I try to look at the overall shape of my collection and watch it evolve. Otherwise my collection, such as it is, would have stagnated long ago. I've sold entire collections several times over the years for that reason.

"See - want - buy" does not necessarily translate into "keep" for me. I flip far more than I hold onto. (I usually find I need a book in my hands, and if it falls through, I flip.)

There are some books I have not so far gotten bored with, but few that have been with me more than a decade.

Sometimes a sale is forced - usually a bigger book to raise a war chest. A couple of those I regret. i.e Planet #1 in 8.5 this year. But I was happier with what it bought me than if I'd kept it.

There is also the anticipation of replacing a sold book with another - perhaps better - copy later on. I love that. I have a far smaller collection than I used to - but grades are much higher overall. The nicer the book, the less likely it will outstay it's welcome. But not always...

Great idea for a thread btw.

I can't imagine getting bored with the GA comics I collect, but when upgrading opportunities arise reality kicks in & new romances develop. :luhv:

My guess is Ben and woohoo didn't adhere to the very specific nature of this thread. Regrets "this" year!

I am going to bend the rules a little as well. Per my original plans, I was going to sell off all my Batman and Detectives in 2014 to fund a new business venture. I had started listing some stuff at the end of 2013 and getting counter offers on some stuff but sold nothing. At the very end on 2013, we got the news that the company I worked for was being bought which did wonders for my bank account. End result, I got the cash needed and didn't have to sell off my stuff ! :banana:

I am going to bend the rules a little as well. Per my original plans, I was going to sell off all my Batman and Detectives in 2014 to fund a new business venture. I had started listing some stuff at the end of 2013 and getting counter offers on some stuff but sold nothing. At the very end on 2013, we got the news that the company I worked for was being bought which did wonders for my bank account. End result, I got the cash needed and didn't have to sell off my stuff ! :banana:

:applause: To paraphrase Freewheelin' Franklin (Fab. Furry Freak Bros.), "Comics will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no comics." (thumbs u

My guess is Ben and woohoo didn't adhere to the very specific nature of this thread. Regrets "this" year!

I did understand the thread its just my regrets go woohoo back.