• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARVEL'S "STAR WARS" #1 TO SELL OVER ONE MILLION COPIES

191 posts in this topic

there is very little respect either way from the HIPPO's who live on these boards when it comes to posts that new members make , just take a look at the ridicule and belittlement almost all people new to this chatboard are subject too, many are driven away by a select few who believe and treat others as if they are inferior to themselves

Very, very rare.

There are a number of scenarios that happen frequently, however.

(1) Noob barrels in, full of and vinegar, and starts throwing his weight around, having earned zero respect before doing so.

(2) Noob barrels in and does zero homework, breaks numerous written or unwritten board rules, and then dismisses those rules as dumb when they are pointed out.

(3) Noob barrels in with the most dumb-arse and/or inane idea/question and is treated in a similar vein.

(4) Noob barrels in with a pack of lies, is found out, flounces.

(5) Noob barrels in, post 3,182 times in his first three days, all of it vacuous, 95% of it stream-of-consciousness, gets right up many people's noses.

The fact that I've been here over eleven years, and now couldn't tell you who 75% of the posters are, suggests that many people are joining these boards, settling in nicely, and becoming useful members. I'd conclude that these are the people who've slipped in quietly, figured out how things work around here, abided by the rules, done their homework, and then begun to contribute.

You know, rather like in real world situations, like new jobs, or parties where you know very few people.

Which one of these scenerios is Kav hm

Who is kav (shrug) He must be one of the quiet 75%.

"there is very little respect either way from the HIPPO's who live on these boards when it comes to posts that new members make , just take a look at the ridicule and belittlement almost all people new to this chatboard are subject too, many are driven away by a select few who believe and treat others as if they are inferior to themselves"

I have been on many boards. I was in the top ten posters on a few. I know how it works. I know many say post count doesn't matter, but yet it does. The higher the count, the more people know you. If you are cool and actually know what you are talking about, then many people listen and befriend you. I am new here and surprised that, I haven't been slapped around yet. :grin: This alleged bullying you speak of is not actually that. You can state your opinion, but if it is a bit extreme be ready for some ribbing. I have watched the threads you have been posting in and nobody has threaten to rough you up or threaten your life. You just started, a posting avalanche of ribbing. If this makes you, make even more extreme child like posts, then even more will come. If you don't like what the masses are posting best to stay on the golden age threads, post about your love and make friends on those threads. Just some friendly advice. I believe in a bit of what you post, but would never downplay someone else's love for their hobby to try to convert them in what you believe. It will never happen. (tsk)

I swear, post count shouldn't matter. If they got rid of the counter, then all we'd have is sign-up date, although I assume that would be next to be used against us.

"You've been here forever, you're an OTHER!"

(Old-Time Hopeful Eccentric Regurgitator)

:shrug: :lol: ;)

-slym

Ha , you are not an OTHER you are a HIPPO (hi post count professional poster who LIVES and BREATHES on these on-line boards) but I will admit that you are very good at those little video's of spongebob etc. under your posts they are funny

"there is very little respect either way from the HIPPO's who live on these boards when it comes to posts that new members make , just take a look at the ridicule and belittlement almost all people new to this chatboard are subject too, many are driven away by a select few who believe and treat others as if they are inferior to themselves"

I have been on many boards. I was in the top ten posters on a few. I know how it works. I know many say post count doesn't matter, but yet it does. The higher the count, the more people know you. If you are cool and actually know what you are talking about, then many people listen and befriend you. I am new here and surprised that, I haven't been slapped around yet. :grin: This alleged bullying you speak of is not actually that. You can state your opinion, but if it is a bit extreme be ready for some ribbing. I have watched the threads you have been posting in and nobody has threaten to rough you up or threaten your life. You just started, a posting avalanche of ribbing. If this makes you, make even more extreme child like posts, then even more will come. If you don't like what the masses are posting best to stay on the golden age threads, post about your love and make friends on those threads. Just some friendly advice. I believe in a bit of what you post, but would never downplay someone else's love for their hobby to try to convert them in what you believe. It will never happen. (tsk)

Thank you and your post just revealed something to me this morning, if a new member to the NGC numismatic chatboards were to pipe in that it would be very unwise to buy any modern coins off the home shopping network HSN , nobody would get on his case unless in jest and nobody would counter with an answer saying "oh let them buy from HSN if they want its their money they can do whatever they want with it" because any new collector who did buy from HSN would be getingt ripped-off and probably leave the coin hobby with a bad taste and never return. who would suggest that on anybody? the veteran coin collector would attempt to guide the person that rather than buying moderns offered on HSN they should lean towards the classic 18th and 19th century coins that have much more potential and are available in much fewer quantity.

this same logic is what I am applying with the new star wars #1 vs golden age scenario and I realize that those criticizing me must be in jest and I finally get it Ha Ha! even though I dont' understand because what if even ONE new comic collector was misled by conflicting advice and spent a huge chunk of money on modern slabs like the new star wars #1 and then a few years down the road when he wanted to sell them he found out they were virtually worthless because there are a million of them he would leave the hobby with a bad taste

It's when somebody speaks as if for everybody that disagreements can be expected.

Some people love the way a comic book looks encased in a CGC slab, and love to display it that way. To such a person, the slab is enjoyable no matter how common the comic inside. Personally, I'm not one of those people, but would never argue stridently that every collector behave the same.

Diversity is the spice of life, after all.

It's when somebody speaks as if for everybody that disagreements can be expected.

Some people love the way a comic book looks encased in a CGC slab, and love to display it that way. To such a person, the slab is enjoyable no matter how common the comic inside. Personally, I'm not one of those people, but would never argue stridently that EVERY collector behave the same.

Diversity is the spice of life, after all.

You are correct and I have already discussed this in an earlier thread about grading a modern comic vs grading a National Enquirer

but most ALL new collectors especially younger ones hope and dream that their collection will vastly increase in value as they age and maybe be worth big bucks this is major part of the lure of collecting and this is NEVER going to happen with the new star wars #1 or 99% of the modern issues

but most ALL new collectors especially younger ones hope and dream that their collection will vastly increase in value as they age and maybe be worth big bucks this is major part of the lure of collecting

It must be awesome to be clairvoyant.

Why can't people do what they want? When you see folks eating in a pricy restaurant, do you pound on glass and scream at them to go home and cook their own food and save the money?

You are not the daddy. You want to be the daddy, but you are not the daddy.

I want to slab about 50 Star Wars #1s now, just to spite you.

Why do you hate freedom so much, Mao?

Thank you and your post just revealed something to me this morning, if a new member to the NGC numismatic chatboards were to pipe in that it would be very unwise to buy any modern coins off the home shopping network HSN , nobody would get on his case unless in jest and nobody would counter with an answer saying "oh let them buy from HSN if they want its their money they can do whatever they want with it" because any new collector who did buy from HSN would be getingt ripped-off and probably leave the coin hobby with a bad taste and never return. who would suggest that on anybody? the veteran coin collector would attempt to guide the person that rather than buying moderns offered on HSN they should lean towards the classic 18th and 19th century coins that have much more potential and are available in much fewer quantity.

this same logic is what I am applying with the new star wars #1 vs golden age scenario and I realize that those criticizing me must be in jest and I finally get it Ha Ha! even though I don't' understand because what if even ONE new comic collector was misled by conflicting advice and spent a huge chunk of money on modern slabs like the new star wars #1 and then a few years down the road when he wanted to sell them he found out they were virtually worthless because there are a million of them he would leave the hobby with a bad taste

You realize what creates new collectors is good stories, right? New collectors don't get in to the hobby buying books encased in plastic. They get hooked on books. I'd also wager that new readers wouldn't enjoy the pacing and storytelling of some of the older books. Even my daughter has a hard time getting in to AF 15 and the first few ASMs over Ultimate Spider-Man which she ate up. I'll even admit that sometimes the pacing and dialogue heavy 60s Spidey books sometimes are a slog to get through.

You're forgetting that there is still a large part of the hobby buying, reading, and enjoying new books. If they want to buy and slab them, then why can't they? Are they being misled if they want to buy and slab a book? Many of us don't look at books and see dollar signs.

You're also ignoring the fact that while there will be a million printed, there will still be small print runs on variants. Variants drive the modern books too. You don't know this though because you don't know about moderns but speak on it as if you are an expert. Look at Saga as an example. Saga 1 has some value, but the real value is in the RRP. You probably don't even know what an RRP is though, huh?

Go get educated on the hobby before you come at us about the hobby.

this same logic is what I am applying with the new star wars #1 vs golden age scenario and I realize that those criticizing me must be in jest and I finally get it Ha Ha! even though I dont' understand because what if even ONE new comic collector was misled by conflicting advice and spent a huge chunk of money on modern slabs like the new star wars #1 and then a few years down the road when he wanted to sell them he found out they were virtually worthless because there are a million of them he would leave the hobby with a bad taste

Money, money, money... you know some people collect things they enjoy for reason other than money. I even get CGC to slab them when I want, again not make money but for display and protection. It is what I chose to do with my money. I invest my money in gold and the market - I am in this hobby because I enjoy it, not to make money on it...

Relax! How can you even remotely enjoy this hobby if all you think about is making money off comics? And I see people on this site being more hobbyist rather than investors which seems to be the root of the disagreement. Not everyone's concerned about making money off what they purchase/collect.

but most ALL new collectors especially younger ones hope and dream that their collection will vastly increase in value as they age and maybe be worth big bucks this is major part of the lure of collecting

Why can't people do what they want? When you see folks eating in a pricy restaurant, do you pound on glass and scream at them to go home and cook their own food and save the money?

did you not read and comprehend the coin collecting HSN scenario that I posted and how harmful that scenario will end to a would be new collector ?

this same logic is what I am applying with the new star wars #1 vs golden age scenario and I realize that those criticizing me must be in jest and I finally get it Ha Ha! even though I don't' understand because what if even ONE new comic collector was misled by conflicting advice and spent a huge chunk of money on modern slabs like the new star wars #1 and then a few years down the road when he wanted to sell them he found out they were virtually worthless because there are a million of them he would leave the hobby with a bad taste

You realize what creates new collectors is good stories, right? New collectors don't get in to the hobby buying books encased in plastic. They get hooked on books. I'd also wager that new readers wouldn't enjoy the pacing and storytelling of some of the older books. Even my daughter has a hard time getting in to AF 15 and the first few ASMs over Ultimate Spider-Man which she ate up. I'll even admit that sometimes the pacing and dialogue heavy 60s Spidey books sometimes are a slog to get through.

You're forgetting that there is still a large part of the hobby buying, reading, and enjoying new books. If they want to buy and slab them, then why can't they? Are they being misled if they want to buy and slab a book? Many of us don't look at books and see dollar signs.

You're also ignoring the fact that while there will be a million printed, there will still be small print runs on variants. Variants drive the modern books too. You don't know this though because you don't know about moderns but speak on it as if you are an expert. Look at Saga as an example. Saga 1 has some value, but the real value is in the RRP. You probably don't even know what an RRP is though, huh?

Go get educated on the hobby before you come at us about the hobby.

:applause:

As Chris and Silent Master said, comics are not coins. I actually prefer Golden Age books, but War Comics' position demonstrates a lack of understanding of the hobby. It was collectors that loved the books that got the hobby through the hard times. The comic hobby survived because people loved the books, even if they lost money in the 1990's bubble. After that, good comics kept coming and people bought and read them and didn't really care if they became valuable. Many people bought and slabbed their moderns because the books meant something to THEM. Some did become valuable like Walking Dead. If anything, modern books are more akin to GA books because in the early 2000's there were more people buying to read then buying to preserve.

If the sentiment was "Don't slab these books thinking you can retire off of them", then I think we could all get behind that. But, in the end, this is a hobby, not an investment vehicle. Do what you love with your hobby. If comics are your sole source of retirement funds then you need to rethink your strategy.

did you not read and comprehend the coin collecting HSN scenario that I posted and how harmful that scenario will end to a would be new collector ?

Answer my questions. You are setting up straw man arguments. You are what is referred to in legal circles as an officious intermeddler.

I can understand the print run for Star Wars, it appeals to the masses. Spawn and X-Men, back in the day, only to comic folks. Would I invest in this Star Wars #1? No. Will it sell well as an on going monthly? Absolutely.