• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is X-Men #1 graded CGC 9.2 underrated (Value)?

286 posts in this topic

The difficult part in making a definitive statement is finding two visually comparable books, one with white other lessor.

But I would hazard a guess (not so much a guess but you know what I'm doing here) that virtually any two books , same grade and same visual appeal, 99/100 would choose white pager over lessor paged book. And regarding price , I suspect they (the 99/100) would pay some small premium if the market for that book warranted (supply of white pages vs demand of book etc)

The empirical data is flawed , for the most part, in that the comparable quality can't readily or with a large enough sample size, validate a statement either way (IMO).

From my perspective I would always price a white paged example vs comparable lessor pq example at least a 5% premium (maybe more)

I agree with everything you just wrote rick, including the possibility of a book with "white pages" on the label anecdotally selling for more on occasion. The crux of my point however is that if one person on one day decides to pay more for a book with "white pages" on comic connect, and then two days later somebody clicks a "buy it now" on ebay for the same book in grade but with "cr/ow" pages, what exactly can be gleaned from that ?

I say "nothing" because unless you are in both buyers' heads, you have no idea what caused them to make their buying decision and what price they decided to pay. And it only takes one person to pay more for a book with out "white pages" to completely undermine the notion that books with "white pages" ever really commanded a "premium" in the first place. A dealer such as yourself can say "I price books with 'white pages' 5% higher", higher than what exactly ? What exactly is the baseline ? What about the guy on ebay who's shooting for the moon on price with his same copy in grade, but with non "white pages" book? Are you pricing 5% above him? Okay so then you sell your "white pages" book. Your buyer isn't the only person shopping for that book. So tomorrow an entirely different person buys an "off white" pages book for what you just got for your "white pages" book. Did the second guy get "screwed"? Or do u question whether or not you sold your "white pages" book too low? Or, and more likely, do you not give it a second thought because at the end of the day, it really just doesn't matter all that much, since (and because) you can never know either way?

-J.

The market is always moving. And for a myriad of reasons one buyer might value or pay more than another for any of those reasons. That's why I said no one statement regarding is more valid than the next, relative to empirical support. But in common sense support, if a better pq is a differentiating quality within a given grade then it very likely commands or deserves a premium

And I wasn't even referring, necessarily to graded copies. Just that in any moment, you offer virtually any buyer a choice of a book they want at that particular moment in time, and the only differentiating quality is page condition, in virtually every instance the better pq book will be desired and purchased , even if priced higher.

Just to get back on track so the person who purchased this 9.2 with white pages paid to much or was it a descent buy......trying to understand the market for this type of book in this condition.

Can anyone actually answer this poor guy's original question ?

(shrug)

-J.

Just to get back on track so the person who purchased this 9.2 with white pages paid to much or was it a descent buy......trying to understand the market for this type of book in this condition.

Can anyone actually answer this poor guy's original question ?

(shrug)

-J.

I can't fathom that kind of dough.

What I mean is it a fair price if someone where to hold onto such a book for say 15 to 20 years I do not mean sell it in a year or two? So over pay now and gain later.

If you're not planning on selling for 20 years, there's probably no real harm in "overpaying" a little for a book that you really want. (thumbs u

-J.

Jaydogrules

Thanks. And if I happen to find another X-Men CGC 9.2 white pages for sale would paying the same price the person who purchased this one for be a reasonable price? I mean from now to say a year from now (based on the overstreet value during that time frame).

A "reasonable price" is subjective. If you're basing it on what the last guy paid, it could be argued that you paid "fair market value" if you paid the same price. But if the book hits a hot streak you may end up having to pay even more, and that may also be considered "fair market value". It just comes down to what you feel comfortable paying and how bad you want it. Even the most pure of pure collectors who never sell anything (such as myself and oakman) don't want to "overpay" for a book. But if you don't plan on selling for a long time, or ever, then that should embolden you to get a little more aggressive with your buying strategy, especially if it's a book you really, really want.

-J.

I think it's worth mentioning that many of my most valuable books were books I had to overpay for at the time of purchase. When you are looking at high end keys you are competing against people of means. You almost have to overpay to get it.

bomber-bob

Thank you this is what I was wondering. And have you gotten a pretty good return on those type of books? I hate talking about investment when talking about comic books I truly love this hobby but when thinking of spending this type of money I kinda have to.

If you hold a key book like an X-Men 1 in high grade for a long time, I think you can safely say you will get a good return on your investment. For a book like an X-Men 1, eye appeal is very important and I would overpay for a copy that has a bright, white cover. Avoid copies with browning near the edges, avoid Marvel chipping, and avoid any with staple problems like rust or tears. Staple problems, in particular, tend to get worse over time. At 9.2, the book will be structurally sound but you want the eye appeal. To get the eye appeal you may have to overpay but it will be worth it in the long run. Good luck in your quest.

oakman29

I know time is not on my side (even do I am in my mid thirties when it comes to the top 10 silver age comics even a few years can make me a non player) five years from now a 9.2 X-Men # 1 will most likely be out of my price range. In the end I will probably never own such a high grade copy but hey the search is always fun so they say.....lolllll.

I fully respect your opinion as I only collect 9.2 graded books or higher with off-white pages or better. That being said you started this thread asking if X-Men #1 was undervalued. This implies by your own admission you think it may be. What happens if while waiting for a white paged copy the price starts to dramatically increase much like what happened with Hulk #1 in the example I provided? The first off-white copy or better I found I would make an offer if I was you.

Just some humble advice.

Kind Regards,

Mint

It's sometimes a slippery slope when buying hg silver xmen 1

Look at one grade higher...9.4. 3 years ago a copy sold for 137k. Go back 5 years and Most copies routinely sold for more than 100k

Today, the avg copy sells for 85k. Roi is a big fat negative for the last 5+ years. It might take 5+ years just to get back to 100k , leaving the 137k overplayer still well into the negative

The same can be said about 9.2s. With copies actually having declined in price (always an exception) for the last 5 years.

Is it a good long term investment? No one knows. Any comic at any price should be purchased with disposable income. Then, while still a component , roi doesn't really matter

Why has X-Men # 1 fluctuated so much value wise since 2010? They are by far one of the most popular comic book series of all time with millions of followers.

Has this been the only key silver age comic to fluctuate like this?

Xmen 1 is perhaps the most common early sa key (along with spidey 1)

Seems like more hg copies exist and more and more are available every year, diluting the high end pool and thus resulting in dropping prices