• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is X-Men #1 graded CGC 9.2 underrated (Value)?

286 posts in this topic

G.A.tor

X-Men # 1

cgc 9.2 = 15

cgc 9.4 = 12

cgc 9.6 = 3

cgc 9.8 = 2

That is a total of 32 (excluding multiple issues that have been regraded over the years...so even less than 32 exist in reality) ever graded 9.2 or higher that have not been restored seems like a very very small number of the total ever graded adding to that there are millions of X-Men fans out there. This does not seem to make any sens to me. I imagine this would be a lot compared to gold age comics of key issues but to me seems pretty normal for silver age comics.

Still seems pretty rare to me based on demand versus a tiny supply.

On the OP's question. I would be very wary of putting retirement money into this "market". I love my comics, but my investments are all in stocks. While "key" comics may be outperforming the stock market right now they are nowhere near as liquid and much more volatile in the long run.

And welcome to the boards.

thunsicker

Thanks......so confusing when you look at the performance over the last 20 years and continuous records been set in the comic book world it just seems that there is no end in site. I mean a action # 1 9.0 white pages just sold for over 3 million dollars no one would have ever thought that say back in 1990. Some people I have spoken to think that that 9.0 will be the 1st 10 million comic one day if so I can only imagine that books like amazing fantasy 15 in 9.0 and above will sell for way way more than they do today......I would have figured the same would be the case with such a popular series as the X-Men.

G.A.tor

X-Men # 1

cgc 9.2 = 15

cgc 9.4 = 12

cgc 9.6 = 3

cgc 9.8 = 2

That is a total of 32 (excluding multiple issues that have been regraded over the years...so even less than 32 exist in reality) ever graded 9.2 or higher that have not been restored seems like a very very small number of the total ever graded adding to that there are millions of X-Men fans out there. This does not seem to make any sens to me. I imagine this would be a lot compared to gold age comics of key issues but to me seems pretty normal for silver age comics.

Compare to census 5 years earlier that number has doubled to current. The fact that there are multiple copies in those grades available for sale seems to dictate supply exceeds demand at current asking prices.

G.A.tor

makes sens but still any of the top silver age comics over the last 20 years have gone up in value multiple times. I collect many things (since the early 1990's.....sports cards, coins and other stuff) and I have to say I have NEVER EVER seen a market as solid as key golden age and silver age comics. Maybe a cooling down period but with soooooo many movies and kids falling in love with our favorite super heroes seems like things in the future seem bright compared to stamp collecting or say coin collecting with most collectors been much older and very few young people getting into to it.

Plus comics are a global thing coin collection most people stick to their own country same with stamps. I mean 2 billion Chinese (and other culture of course to but hey they have 2 billion so I will point that one out 1st) people and most are lovers of comic art and movies.

Anyhow I will take all your guys information (And I do appreciate it believe me) and ponder what my next move will be.

G.A.tor

X-Men # 1

cgc 9.2 = 15

cgc 9.4 = 12

cgc 9.6 = 3

cgc 9.8 = 2

Compare to census 5 years earlier that number has doubled to current. The fact that there are multiple copies in those grades available for sale seems to dictate supply exceeds demand at current asking prices.

Also compare the census of X-men 1 to other top silver keys and you will see what Rick is saying that its "common".

Check out the census:

AF15 has 9 @ 9.2 or above (3.5x more X-men 1)

IH1 has 5 @ 9.2 or above (6.4x more X-men 1)

Showcase 4 has 5 @ 9.2 or above (6.4x more X-men 1)

FF1 has 7 @ 9.2 or above (4.5x more X-men 1)

iceman399

Yeah numbers don't lie. Just hard to imagine millions and millions of X-Men fans globally and only 32 (minus multiple re grades) grade 9.2 and above. Ah well we will see what the future holds. I guess I love the X-Men and figured it should be a top silver age book and should continue to grow in value. I figured if the 1st Ant-Man can reach 32 000$ in 9.2 in overstreet anything is possible for X-Men with a much much larger fan base. I have nothing against Ant-man just never understood the hype of that character. To each his own like they say.

Jaydogrules

But you would think that since so few cgc 9.2 or higner of any key comics come up for auction (most been in long long term collections) in a 1 year period and some times many years that the chance for some collectors that have been waiting sooooo long to jump on one before they miss the boat would be far to temping to resist.

Ah well nothing is ever easy I guess always soooooo many variables to consider in a equation.

Less copies, less people who can or want to spend that much money on one copy, means fewer "comps", means it only takes one low sale to kill your value for awhile. Or only one high sale to make you feel like you hit a home run. The very definition of "volatile".

-J.

And much of the run up over the last ten to twenty years can be attributed to three factors:

1) Introduction of CGC and standardization of grading.

2) Superhero movies popularity and the bringing back into the fold of people who collected in the 70's and 80's.

2b) Many of those people who collected in the 70's and 80's and are getting back into it are in their peak earning years.

3) EBay and the Auction houses taking comic collecting from local stores to global audiences.

Some people think comics are currently in a bubble and prices are due for a major correction. Some people think the factors I mentioned above have had their impact and prices will level off. Some people think prices will continue to grow in the short term at these 10-20% year-on-year rates. Some people think prices will continue to grow in the long term at these 10-20% year-on-year rates. Its nowhere near as safe as putting your money in the stock market which is nowhere near as safe as putting your money into bonds. I'm not saying to not put any money into comics, I do because I love them. I'm just saying not to take to big a position in comics because it is much riskier than any other form of investment.

And much of the run up over the last ten to twenty years can be attributed to three factors:

1) Introduction of CGC and standardization of grading.

2) Superhero movies popularity and the bringing back into the fold of people who collected in the 70's and 80's.

2b) Many of those people who collected in the 70's and 80's and are getting back into it are in their peak earning years.

3) EBay and the Auction houses taking comic collecting from local stores to global audiences.

Some people think comics are currently in a bubble and prices are due for a major correction. Some people think the factors I mentioned above have had their impact and prices will level off. Some people think prices will continue to grow in the short term at these 10-20% year-on-year rates. Some people think prices will continue to grow in the long term at these 10-20% year-on-year rates. Its nowhere near as safe as putting your money in the stock market which is nowhere near as safe as putting your money into bonds. I'm not saying to not put any money into comics, I do because I love them. I'm just saying not to take to big a position in comics because it is much riskier than any other form of investment .

+1.

And I'm probably a big hypocrite for agreeing with you. lol

-J.

A lot of people use to say in the baseball card realm that is that the famous t206 Honus Wagner will never surpass 80 000$ in the lowest possible grade (PSA 1 out of a possible 10) then 10 years later they easily sell for 400 000$ or more when one hits the auction block. I guess there is no crystal ball for anyone looking to invest.

If this field of collecting is not stable geez I am glad I quit collecting stamps over a decade ago lolllll because if comics fall in price then all other collectibles are in for a even more major down turn.

I guess the only sure collectible is a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle rookie card.

One of the best decision I made in this hobby is selling my X-men 1 CGC 9.0 for $28.5k in a private deal 4 years ago. There are many investments that have double that amount today while that book is about the same? (shrug)

I love the X-men very much but can't recall the last time I equate good investment with X-men books. Buy a few copies with AF 15, in 10 years, flip them for profit and then buy your X-men 1 for about the same price today with the profits....yup, I am making a call that it is likely dead money or slower appreciation compared to AF 15, Hulk 1 and many other silver age keys.

I guess I love the X-Men and figured it should be a top silver age book and should continue to grow in value.

Guess again. Seriously, you think it should be a good investment b/c you love the X-men and they're so popular, etc., but the market appears to disagree with you. Don't invest based on emotion.

There's a nice Hulk 1 in 9.0 ending in the ComicConnect auction this evening that will probably outperform a 9.2 X-men 1 in the coming years, and I'm not just saying that b/c the Hulk is my favorite character (but it doesn't hurt). lol

A lot of people use to say in the baseball card realm that is that the famous t206 Honus Wagner will never surpass 80 000$ in the lowest possible grade (PSA 1 out of a possible 10) then 10 years later they easily sell for 400 000$ or more when one hits the auction block. I guess there is no crystal ball for anyone looking to invest.

Interesting, what has happened to the high-end (>$10K items) stamp and baseball card market over the last 10 years? Not the top-of-the-hobby items like the Honus Wagner card, but the next 5-10% of items? (shrug)

The only thing I can add is just buy the books you like,the prices rising or falling is just a byproduct.Even if you lose money,you still have a book you love to own. (thumbs u