• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is X-Men #1 graded CGC 9.2 underrated (Value)?

286 posts in this topic

I respect your opinion, but there simply is no regular "premium" paid for books with "white pages" on the label. Whatever differences you have seen in prices paid here and there could have been for other reasons having nothing to fo with "PQ".

-J.

Right, you have confirmed this view by thinking about it. (thumbs u

My experience in 15 years of bidding on books at auction suggests something different.

Ditto.

The lack of consistency means that there is in fact no "premium", and that it all averages out in the end. (Although I do agree the odd BA books you might see with "cr/ow" do tend to sell for less)

-J.

I would like to raise another concern. What if we fart in the proximity of the book ?

degree of degradation will depend on what you had for lunch. if it's Mexican, it could go from w to brittle overnight.

The lack of consistency means that there is in fact no "premium", and that it all averages out in the end.

-J.

No.

Yes.

Pretty much any anecdotal sale result you can produce where you believe it went higher because of "white pages" being on the label, I can show you one suggesting otherwise, as I have already done with two examples in this thread.

I can also point you to recent auction results that set GPA highs where the book in question had "cr/ow" on the label, or "worse". (thumbs u

-J.

The lack of consistency means that there is in fact no "premium", and that it all averages out in the end.

-J.

No.

Yes.

Pretty much any anecdotal sale result you can produce where you believe it went higher because of "white pages" being on the label, I can show you one suggesting otherwise, as I have already done with two examples in this thread.

I can also point you to recent auction results that set GPA highs where the book in question had "cr/ow" on the label, or "worse". (thumbs u

-J.

Start a poll, do White pages command a premium. Be sure to specify Silver or Gold. In the case of Modern,copper, and sometimes Bronze there is no premium.

Personally, I spit on CR/OW books. I will simply NOT buy them.

-J.

No.

Yes.

-J.

Start a poll, do White pages command a premium. Be sure to specify Silver or Gold. In the case of Modern,copper, and sometimes Bronze there is no premium.

What is the point of a poll? Publicly available sales data is readily available for anyone to observe. Then it just comes down to a person's individual tastes. The only difference in opinion is you state or believe that books with "white pages" always sell for a "premium". This is patently false. It isn't even true half the time. And since it is not a 100% or even a 50% truth, that means the results are random and not reliable. And since the results are random and not reliable, there is no actual upside or reason to ever pay a "premium". But buy whatever you like. Books you "spit on" someone else will gladly buy, oftentimes at a greater price than the last book with "white pages" on the label. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

No.

Yes.

-J.

What is the point of a poll? Publicly available sales data is readily available for anyone to observe. Then it just comes down to a person's individual tastes. The only difference in opinion is you state or believe that books with "white pages" always sell for a "premium". This is patently false. It isn't even true half the time. And since it is not a 100% or even a 50% truth, that means the results are random and not reliable. And since the results are random and not reliable, there is no actual upside or reason to ever pay a "premium". But buy whatever you like. Books you "spit on" someone else will gladly buy, oftentimes at a greater price than the last book with "white pages" on the label. (thumbs u

-J.

Regarding 'buy what you like', I totally agree with this statement. I like White pages but I don't try and convince anyone else to buy them. For some reason you go out of your way to point out White pages are not worth a premium. Why? Buy what you like but don't try and convince others to buy what you like.

-J.

No.

Yes.

-J.

-J.

Regarding 'buy what you like', I totally agree with this statement. I like White pages but I don't try and convince anyone else to buy them. For some reason you go out of your way to point out White pages are not worth a premium. Why? Buy what you like but don't try and convince others to buy what you like.

Bob, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I believe it was you who just disparaged every collector in the world who happens to have a book with "cr/ow pages" on the label. lol

I simply object to the statement of absolute that books with "white pages" on the label "always" sell for a "premium", because it is simply not true. And there are almost always other factors going on with a particular book to make the statement impossible to be proven true. The maxim is that we are collecting comic books and not labels, and we are doing so at different times and points in the market, and through many different venues. Hence the variation in prices realized for most books in grade, regardless of the "PQ" on the label. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

No.

Yes.

-J.

White pages always get a premium from me when I am buying. OW/W a nice bump as well

The difficult part in making a definitive statement is finding two visually comparable books, one with white other lessor.

But I would hazard a guess (not so much a guess but you know what I'm doing here) that virtually any two books , same grade and same visual appeal, 99/100 would choose white pager over lessor paged book. And regarding price , I suspect they (the 99/100) would pay some small premium if the market for that book warranted (supply of white pages vs demand of book etc)

The empirical data is flawed , for the most part, in that the comparable quality can't readily or with a large enough sample size, validate a statement either way (IMO).

From my perspective I would always price a white paged example vs comparable lessor pq example at least a 5% premium (maybe more)

I have to agree I would pay a premium for white pages and probbaly would never buy a comic like one of the top 10 silver age unless it had white pages in any grade.......but I do respect other peoples choice I do not want to start a ''all out war here''.

Plan on searching a long time,do ya'. :wishluck:

oakman29

I know time is not on my side (even do I am in my mid thirties when it comes to the top 10 silver age comics even a few years can make me a non player) five years from now a 9.2 X-Men # 1 will most likely be out of my price range. In the end I will probably never own such a high grade copy but hey the search is always fun so they say.....lolllll.

oakman29

I know time is not on my side (even do I am in mi mid thirties when it comes to the top 10 silver age comics even a few years can make me a non player) five years from now a 9.2 X-Men # 1 will most likely out of my price range. In the end I will probably never own such a high grade copy but hey the search is always fun so they say.....lolllll.

No I'm talking about the white pages debate.Trust me cream\off white is very hard to decifer between off white or even white pages.I wouldn't pay a premium for white pages,because it's very little if any difference.