• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Next CLINK auction is starting to stack up some interesting pieces

556 posts in this topic

The Thing vs Hulk would seem to be the driver of price here so I don't think you can compare it apples to apples to other good Buckler FF or even Avengers covers.

And if I am recalling correctly, the Thing vs Hulk FF #112 panel page by Buscema sold for much more than a comparable FF Buscema page.

And while that other Buckler-Hulk splash didn't perform overly well, I personally didn't think it was that strong a page and plus this is a cover. I don't collect Buckler FF covers but I also wonder how fresh this is to market and how much that will impact price.

And while I would have thought that $40k is in fact already somewhat high (especially to be at the low range of that estimate), we'll all seen some "wow" prices over the last year so who knows. On the other hand, close to $100k--just cannot see that under any scenario.

Isn't the huge unknown also whatever sentimental value the piece has for some dude. If this was the first comic they ever read or its what their dad gave them the last time they saw him....sky's the limit!

Yup, nostalgia can certainly factor into some of the "wow" prices we've all seen in the past year or so and makes predicting auction price that much harder (and I personally can think of several examples where collectors I know bid up 3x and 4x over what the majority view of price would be because of nostalgia/personal attachment--I've been known to do it myself on occasion :) ).

I will say a couple of things about this cover that make me think it will hammer at a strong price.

1. Not mine but wish it were

2. Even though it is "just" Rich Buckler, it is an extremely strong piece. Look at the quality of the artwork. I would say it is on par with many John Buscema covers and better than a lot (and I love John Buscema's work).

3. The cover includes the entire Fantastic Four team in action.

4. The cover includes a large dynamic image of the Hulk

5. The Hulk and the Thing are in an imminent battle pose.

6. It is a Fantastic Four bronze age cover.

I will say a couple of things about this cover that make me think it will hammer at a strong price.

1. Not mine but wish it were

2. Even though it is "just" Rich Buckler, it is an extremely strong piece. Look at the quality of the artwork. I would say it is on par with many John Buscema covers and better than a lot (and I love John Buscema's work).

3. The cover includes the entire Fantastic Four team in action.

4. The cover includes a large dynamic image of the Hulk

5. The Hulk and the Thing are in an imminent battle pose.

6. It is a Fantastic Four bronze age cover.

OK, time for some disclosure here.

1. I'm not a fan of the FF (or team books in general) so this particular issues holds no sentimental value for me. In fact, I've never even read the issue.

2. I do love Hulk vs Thing battles and covers featuring an image of the two battling is something I gravitate towards

3. Not a fan of Buscema or Buckler, but this is a great image and its definitely something that I would have bid aggressively on six months ago

4. However, with the Canadian dollar tanking and the cost of a $ US dollar hovering near $1.30 Canadian, I can't justify pursuing this cover so I've decided to pull out of the race before its even started

5. I'm not sure I would have taken this cover to $40K, but in the heat of an auction, one never knows when adrenalin takes over your self-imposed max bid

That's my 5 cents (Canada no longer mints pennies)

There's not that many THING VS HULK covers that are pre-copper age, and Rich Buckler is like Keith Pollard, Sal Buscema, Don Heck and many others, a recognizable name in art, albeit not on top of everyone's list, still a solid artist and the rendering here is nice.

I'm guessing this Fantastic Four cover goes for $63,000

This FF cover sat in the For Sale section of Comiclink for a while last year. I want to say it was listed around 60K, and it obviously didn't sell. In fact, I don't even remember it receiving an offer...

The Hobgoblin ripping SM's costume is over 40k....is this the first appearance of the Hobgoblin? It seems to me a very very strong start....

Yes, it's his first appearance.

The Hobgoblin ripping SM's costume is over 40k....is this the first appearance of the Hobgoblin? It seems to me a very very strong start....

71K :o

Reserve Not Yet Met (shrug)

Thanks, that explains it. This was originally a no-reserve auction, wasn't it?