• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stolen Comics in the San Antonio area this week

85 posts in this topic

I did some googling-supposedly theft over $1000 carries a min jail sentence of 1 year. I don't understand how the dude I referenced got one night for stealing a bike worth over $1000, and he had previous warrants. Maybe some lawyers can explain.

It probably varies (a lot) by state. Often cases are pleaded down to lesser offenses in exchange for the criminal's cooperation. Minimum sentencing times are often considered guidelines and at the judge's discretion. There is also "time served," "mitigation," and "good behavior"... Lawyers are great at haggling.

the thing I noticed in the video was the nonchalant way the books were being handled - although it was a brief shot.

The sooner you can get those books back the better-- I can just see some bored mope in the evidence room deciding to read a book or two and you get NM books back with huge grade drops. Perhaps they are being careful but my guess is they don't know how to handle a book properly -- even if they don't read them. That on top of what the crooks did. The encapsulated books are probably the only safe ones.