• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stolen Comics in the San Antonio area this week

85 posts in this topic

Maybe check some local pawn shops.

Matt has contacted the Pawn shops around San Antonio and the police have a database they check daily where the Pawn shops are suppose to report what they buy. They are suppose to list items and hold them for a period of time before they are put out for sale.

As I understand it if the shop knowingly buys stolen property they cannot sell it back to the owner-they have to give them back.

As I understand it if the shop knowingly buys stolen property they cannot sell it back to the owner-they have to give them back.

Right, and the cost they paid would be added to the thief's restitution if they get caught. If the thief doesn't get caught, then the shop has to file a claim with their insurance.

Right, and the cost they paid would be added to the thief's restitution if they get caught. If the thief doesn't get caught, then the shop has to file a claim with their insurance.

That is correct. Now, what we did in our case was reimburse the store for any money out of pocket because we needed all the help we could get. I am sure Matt would be willing to do the same but the police can and will seize the property if necessary. I hope it does not come to that.

If they knowingly buy stolen property, they are committing a crime. If they unknowingly buy it, they are out the money they paid for it and the police will take it as evidence.

Matt has already had one store in the San Antonio area tell him that if they bought the merchandise, they would sell it back to him at a discount.

Well that's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

That was a bit odd-like, they'll still make a profit but they'll cut him a deal. All he would have to do is show up with the cops and that dude would be arrested.

Matt has already had one store in the San Antonio area tell him that if they bought the merchandise, they would sell it back to him at a discount.

^^

Knowing all the stores in town, I'd love to know which one this is. If it were me, I'd tell the guy bringing books to me that he needed to leave them for detailed grading and page counting, and call the victim to come see if they were his books.

I'll keep an eye out at the January New Braunfels show. Comics frequently come in there looking to get sold.

^^

Isn't it illegal to sell goods you know were stolen? I would cross that store off my list.

^^

Isn't it illegal to sell goods you know were stolen? I would cross that store off my list.

Come on-he said he'd sell em back at a discount!

^^

Come on-he said he'd sell em back at a discount!

I'll skip a step and just sell you your comics without you having to go through the hassle of having your comics stolen. I'll give you a 50% off discount. So just PayPal me half the value of your collection at your convenience.

^^

Knowing all the stores in town, I'd love to know which one this is. If it were me, I'd tell the guy bringing books to me that he needed to leave them for detailed grading and page counting, and call the victim to come see if they were his books.

I'll keep an eye out at the January New Braunfels show. Comics frequently come in there looking to get sold.

Thanks Roger! Any help would be appreciated. As far as the store goes, I won't call them out on here because I didn't personally hear them say that statement but I don't believe Matt would make that up. I also don't know if the owner told Matt that or it was just an employee. Having said that, I have heard stories about them before and nothing would surprise me.

If that dude buys em and the police make him return them and he tries to make a loss claim on his insurance it's gonna go something like this:

'so you knew they were stolen when you bought them?'

'yes I was trying to get them back to the owner'

'that's very commendable sir however we do not cover a loss if you buy something you knew was stolen'

Update on the stolen books: Matt called today and said that one of the larger stores in the San Antonio area was offered a few of the books that were stolen from his apartment today. Matt said that there were two Hispanic guys in their early to mid 20s. One of them skinny and one of them a little heavier. Neither knew anything about comics. They were shopping some of the raw comics but talked about having a graded 1st Deadpool in 9.4. Sounds to me like they were testing the waters. The store refused to buy them but did alert another larger store that the books were starting to surface. Matt has contacted the police and they are going to get with the store for more details and possibly a video. If I hear anything else, I will update the post.