• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stolen Comics in the San Antonio area this week

85 posts in this topic

yup

or say they know a guy that would be interested-lemme get yo phone # then the police can do a sting

or get they license #

They should have told the guys to bring in what they have, and then call the police when they verified the cert number matches up.

Lots of ways to handle this situation. Buy what they have at a cheap price and hope they bring more, call the cops immediately and stall, take a picture, get a license plate number, anything. Matt didn't say if they did any of those or not but it sounded like they just didn't want to get involved too deep. Not everyone in our business wants the police around very much. At least they called the other store, I guess. By the way, it was the same store that told Matt that if they bought the books, they would sell them back to him at a discount and Matt confirmed it was the owner that said that to him, not an employee.

My friend Matt just called and said the people that are trying to sell his stolen comics went back to the store they visited yesterday and brought all the graded books they had. The serial numbers matched perfectly to the list that was circulated to all the stores and here on the boards but the store chose to let them walk away without calling the cops or making an offer. They did take a picture of the truck they were in, got a license plate number and a fuzzy picture of the two guys. They called Matt only after the guys had left. As a shop owner, I just don't understand what they are thinking but at least they got a plate number.

My friend Matt just called and said the people that are trying to sell his stolen comics went back to the store they visited yesterday and brought all the graded books they had. The serial numbers matched perfectly to the list that was circulated to all the stores and here on the boards but the store chose to let them walk away without calling the cops or making an offer. They did take a picture of the truck they were in, got a license plate number and a fuzzy picture of the two guys. They called Matt only after the guys had left. As a shop owner, I just don't understand what they are thinking but at least they got a plate number.

Unless these thieves are complete they are probably getting the idea that shops have been alerted to the theft. I hope these get recovered before the thieves decide to just dump them somewhere and forget about trying to sell.

Hey guys, sorry about the late update. Matt called last night and he did get all the comics back. He answered a craigslist ad yesterday afternoon in which he recognized some of his comics and scheduled a meeting with the people in a Best Buy parking lot. He contacted the detective from the case and they were there as well. When Matt confirmed the comics were his, the cops came in an arrested both men. Turns out, the truck they were driving was stolen and there were tools and other items in the truck that were stolen as well. They are looking for a female that is part of the group and they are getting a search warrant for the apartment, so maybe Matt can get his other items back as well. Matt and I both want to thank everyone for their help and support throughout this. It's nice to know there is a community out there that is willing to keep their eyes and ears open and help one another in their time of need.