• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stolen Comics in the San Antonio area this week

85 posts in this topic

That's awesome he got the books back. Although the story doesn't quite play out like above.

The San Antonio Police Department set up a fake buy to purchase the comics after a tip from a nearby comic book store owner.

Police said the pair stole nearly $5,000 worth of comic books.

The owner of the comic books told local comic book stores to be on the lookout for the books.

A store owner recognized the stolen book when Gonzalez and Saenz tried to sell them and called police.

That's awesome he got the books back. Although the story doesn't quite play out like above.

The San Antonio Police Department set up a fake buy to purchase the comics after a tip from a nearby comic book store owner.

Police said the pair stole nearly $5,000 worth of comic books.

The owner of the comic books told local comic book stores to be on the lookout for the books.

A store owner recognized the stolen book when Gonzalez and Saenz tried to sell them and called police.

I agree and I asked Matt about that and he is not sure where the reporter got the info from. I have known Matt for a while and I don't believe he is making anything up on his part. Regardless, the comics were found and the people responsible hopefully get charged.

Well folks, it looks like we have a hero here on the CGC boards. THB, from here on the boards, is the one that contacted Matt about who was selling the comics because he runs a buying ad on craigslist and the thieves contacted him. He and Matt called the cops and they set up the buy. Way go THB!! Thanks for all your help!! :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

Well folks, it looks like we have a hero here on the CGC boards. THB, from here on the boards, is the one that contacted Matt about who was selling the comics because he runs a buying ad on craigslist and the thieves contacted him. He and Matt called the cops and they set up the buy. Way go THB!! Thanks for all your help!! :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

Awesome work, THB!!! :applause::applause::applause:

:applause: Excellent news! Two dirtbags in jail and comics returned to owner! :applause:

This doesn't happen often enough with stolen books. Also glad to her about the other recovered stolen property. Icing on the cake was seeing the faces of these two mopes plastered on the news! :headbang:

Regarding the shop owner not calling the police, the guy was probably scared these two pieces of human debris might retaliate. Nobody likes having their business vandalized or their tires slashed - or having those two crooks show up to throw a beating or worse.

In the end, it worked out fine and I'm very happy to hear that it was all resolved.

Advice to future victims: if you have comics stolen, check CL and see who posts buying comics ads and contact them also to be on the lookout.

Those mopes went all around the city trying to sell those books-nope. Too funny.

Rebecca_DeMornay.jpg

I actually put up ads on craigslist in both Austin and San Antonio listing a bunch of books I was interested in and sprinkled a couple of those in there hoping to get their attention…glad it worked out though!

Awesome. Great job THB!!!!!!

Hey guys, sorry about the late update. Matt called last night and he did get all the comics back. He answered a craigslist ad yesterday afternoon in which he recognized some of his comics and scheduled a meeting with the people in a Best Buy parking lot. He contacted the detective from the case and they were there as well. When Matt confirmed the comics were his, the cops came in an arrested both men. Turns out, the truck they were driving was stolen and there were tools and other items in the truck that were stolen as well. They are looking for a female that is part of the group and they are getting a search warrant for the apartment, so maybe Matt can get his other items back as well. Matt and I both want to thank everyone for their help and support throughout this. It's nice to know there is a community out there that is willing to keep their eyes and ears open and help one another in their time of need.

OUTSTANDING! :golfclap: Put these Scum Bags in Jail and throw away the key!!

The sad part is they probably will spend one night in jail tops.

Knew a dude with warrants-got arrested for stealing a bait bike.

Did one night.

Wonderful, nice to see scum picked up and even better that the comics will be returned to the owner. Would hope these guys will face some jail time. Stolen comics valued at 5k plus stolen car and prohibited weapon are fairly serious crimes.

I did some googling-supposedly theft over $1000 carries a min jail sentence of 1 year. I don't understand how the dude I referenced got one night for stealing a bike worth over $1000, and he had previous warrants. Maybe some lawyers can explain.

I did some googling-supposedly theft over $1000 carries a min jail sentence of 1 year. I don't understand how the dude I referenced got one night for stealing a bike worth over $1000, and he had previous warrants. Maybe some lawyers can explain.

I am by no means a lawyer but, in our experience with our theft, we found that it all depends on how many priors are on their record. Because of overcrowding, a lot punishment goes to time served and probation. Also the nature of the crime. Non-violent thefts tend to be treated with fines and probation. A decent lawyer will extend the time out for months and then point to the fact the client stayed out of trouble while waiting sentencing. Don't get me wrong, I hope they spend plenty of time in jail but the reality it will be a few weeks to a month at best. I just hope they get convicted so that their record keeps piling up and, eventually they will do some significant time.