• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Hey, I just found this thread and first want to say how amazed I am that this community will take the time to help each other and provide a wealth of assistance, guidance, and support to a struggling member regardless of how that help is received. It is incredibly admirable and reaffirms my love for this hobby and its members.

Gabriel, I sincerely empathize with you. I have spent the last 10 years working toward a dream job that I focused on so much that I not only stopped looking for viable alternatives, I convinced myself that this dream was the only possibility for me to be successful. This thought process has led to some positive times where I felt close to acheiving what I wanted and there have been incredibly negative times that were caused by my inability to adapt to the changing environment. This fixation impacted friendships and relationships as well as caused me to pass over opportunities that had the potential for being extremely beneficial to me in the long term. I lied to myself and said that this was the only thing that I was good at. I thought that there was only one way to achieve what I wanted no matter how many times I hit a barrier. I stopped listening to advice that I didn't agree with or differed from my developed plan.

Ultimately, I was unsuccessful.

It was hard to accept. I didn't think that I could accept it. It really tore me up for a long time and you know what? The realization and the acceptance didn't happen immediately or even quickly, it happened in stages over time. It didn't matter what any individual friend said or did to try to help me but it was the general, persistent support from my support network that guided me, over time, to the realization that my worth is more than just this one facet.

This realization prompted me to broaden my horizons and refocus my efforts to find an occupation where I could achieve a level of enjoyment comparable to what I thought my dream job would give me. Actually exploring opportunities outside of what I had previously limited myself to was very reassuring and boosted my confidence. Once again, it didn't happen over night and it wasn't easy, but I found a job that I would have previously not thought was achievable and am on track for both progression and upward mobility.

I can't offer you advice on comic sales. I am only a buyer for nostalgia and appreciation for the medium. You already have a wealth of information from the others on this board. What I can offer though, if you want and are comfortable, is advice and assistance with resumes, job interviews, and tools to use that set you up for success when looking for a job. I have been through this process for the past 8 months and have acquired some assets and knowledge that might be beneficial if you are interested. I am willing to help so PM me if you want to. Even if you don't, I sincerely wish you success and encourage you to stay positiveand don't give up. Don't let "not giving up" turn into not adapting though. Situations change and successful people adapt to that change. They also seek multiple routes to success.

my 2 cents

Outstanding post, even in a thread that's seen a lot of them. Hope you'll stick around. (thumbs u

Agree awesome advice. :applause:

This is a small thing, but your YouTube/Kijiji stuff indicates you are near the USA border, your board ID location says you live in Alberta, and your eBay listings say your books are located north of Toronto.

If I was looking to buy one of your books off eBay and discovered your YouTube/Kijiji/Board locations were different from your eBay location, then I would not go forward with the purchase.

I have a friend in the us that I ship comics to and the kijiji would be the most up to date address I'm currently using.

Hey, I just found this thread and first want to say how amazed I am that this community will take the time to help each other and provide a wealth of assistance, guidance, and support to a struggling member regardless of how that help is received. It is incredibly admirable and reaffirms my love for this hobby and its members.

Gabriel, I sincerely empathize with you. I have spent the last 10 years working toward a dream job that I focused on so much that I not only stopped looking for viable alternatives, I convinced myself that this dream was the only possibility for me to be successful. This thought process has led to some positive times where I felt close to acheiving what I wanted and there have been incredibly negative times that were caused by my inability to adapt to the changing environment. This fixation impacted friendships and relationships as well as caused me to pass over opportunities that had the potential for being extremely beneficial to me in the long term. I lied to myself and said that this was the only thing that I was good at. I thought that there was only one way to achieve what I wanted no matter how many times I hit a barrier. I stopped listening to advice that I didn't agree with or differed from my developed plan.

Ultimately, I was unsuccessful.

It was hard to accept. I didn't think that I could accept it. It really tore me up for a long time and you know what? The realization and the acceptance didn't happen immediately or even quickly, it happened in stages over time. It didn't matter what any individual friend said or did to try to help me but it was the general, persistent support from my support network that guided me, over time, to the realization that my worth is more than just this one facet.

This realization prompted me to broaden my horizons and refocus my efforts to find an occupation where I could achieve a level of enjoyment comparable to what I thought my dream job would give me. Actually exploring opportunities outside of what I had previously limited myself to was very reassuring and boosted my confidence. Once again, it didn't happen over night and it wasn't easy, but I found a job that I would have previously not thought was achievable and am on track for both progression and upward mobility.

I can't offer you advice on comic sales. I am only a buyer for nostalgia and appreciation for the medium. You already have a wealth of information from the others on this board. What I can offer though, if you want and are comfortable, is advice and assistance with resumes, job interviews, and tools to use that set you up for success when looking for a job. I have been through this process for the past 8 months and have acquired some assets and knowledge that might be beneficial if you are interested. I am willing to help so PM me if you want to. Even if you don't, I sincerely wish you success and encourage you to stay positiveand don't give up. Don't let "not giving up" turn into not adapting though. Situations change and successful people adapt to that change. They also seek multiple routes to success.

my 2 cents

Thanks I'll pm you about the job stuff and some other things I appreciate it :)

Hey guys you've done a lot for me and put in lots of effort into helping me and I do appreciate it even though some don't believe me. I want your opinions on if you want to hear a story about me? I will hold nothing back and will be kind of graphic not in the sense of pictures but what I write about. I want you people to understand why I do things the way I do and will take a couple of days to write so lets hear your thoughts

Gabe,if its what weve talked about in pm,id leave it out..some people may be harsh and or judgemental.

But if it helps YOU at all to get it off your chest...

It would have been one of the things I talked about but seeing their reactions and how they handle me making mistakes they wouldn't be able to not judge me on it :(

I don't see it as people judging you as much as they are encouraging you to more actively and honestly judge your own actions, take responsibility, and modify your behavior accordingly as best as you can.

I have been very impressed with your openness and ability to share and take the advice here. But there are few safer places on this board than this journal; it's a jungle out there!

I don't see it as people judging you as much as they are encouraging you to more actively and honestly judge your own actions, take responsibility, and modify your behavior accordingly as best as you can.

I have been very impressed with your openness and ability to share and take the advice here. But there are few safer places on this board than this journal; it's a jungle out there!

Thanks people have better memories then I do since I forget but I've mentioned that I have a lot to learn and the comics general is a jungle I think that was the first places I posted :)

Gabe IMO seems like a good egg just trying to find himself. I hasten to think what life would have been like for him in the pre internet days, but I applaud him for his lack of shyness and willingness to accept criticism from others. Hang in there pal, your ride has only just begun.

It's often extremely difficult to attempt to rationalize with an irrational individual. Many here should realize that much of what is posted on this thread will likely fall on deaf ears.

Gabe IMO seems like a good egg just trying to find himself. I hasten to think what life would have been like for him in the pre internet days, but I applaud him for his lack of shyness and willingness to accept criticism from others. Hang in there pal, your ride has only just begun.

It's often extremely difficult to attempt to rationalize with an irrational individual. Many here should realize that much of what is posted on this thread will likely fall on deaf ears.

A compliment with a insult eh? ;) I wouldn't say I'm irrational just stubborn because with the comics I have I honestly don't want to sell them at a loss so I'd rather wait but sell for a profit but if I need more advice on anything it'd be shipping lots of raw comics and slabs since I'm a visual learner it'd help it if was a video or pics with descriptions and double boxing whoever thought of that either isn't good at packing or didn't put effort in it because all the double box slabs I got all broke :(

Shipping is one piece of advice I'd immediately put to use because it'd help me grow because right now I can ship 10 raw comics and 3 slabs as my max.

I get the fixation with the big ticket items...... they appeal to all of us. Unfortunately, the higher the price tag, the smaller the buying pool. Many, many collectors can drop 100 bucks on something they want and I dare say that if you actually want to make a living selling comics, you should focus on acquiring books in the 20 -200 neighborhood that can be sold at a 25% mark up. You mention studying the market, but this can be deceiving..... mainly because by the time market trends become obvious, the ship has often sailed. Many new dealers look at their customers as serving the dealer's goals..... but successful dealers quickly learn that it is the dealer who serves the customer's goals. Learn about your customers and find ways to serve their needs. Without repeat business, success will be elusive.I would also suggest developing a professional network..... other dealer's that you know and trust..... attending shows is crucial for this. If you're strictly an Internet Jockey, you're just basically panning for the same gold in the same stream that your customer is. I think we'd all like to sell a million dollar book, providing, of course, that we didn't pay a million and a half for it..... but folks who buy million dollar books are often going to be extremely loyal to certain venues were trust has been built up over decades of transactional growth. Steve Fishler, a seller of million dollar books, started out working the show circuit for other dealers. I would suggest going to www.metropoliscomics.com and checking out the Comic Zone Radio archives, with a focus on the interviews with notable dealers. A valuable lesson that I've learned.... and I'm still FAR from what I'd call successful, is that there are glass ceilings for price levels, with fewer "playas" the higher the level gets. Understanding the dynamics of disposable income and buying power of the average collector will save you a lot of heartache. Many, many collectors are just not participating in the 1000 dollar pool...... and significantly less than that will drop 2500 on a book. It's been my experience that the buying pool begins to thin significantly at the 500 dollar level. Understand the economy of the market, and know that a customer is not just a wallet with legs. They have families, mortgages, car payments, grocery bills, etc...... and comics are far down the list. Cultivate "want lists" and take note when items show up for multiple customers. Also there are two markets, the national one that is like viewing Shangri-La through binoculars, and YOUR market.... which is what your actual customers are seeking and acquiring.... those are the ones that matter. It's a long hard road..... and I, for one, have been failing to become a professional dealer for 25 years now. I may not be able to share what works.... but I can certainly share what DOESN'T (thumbs u ........GLWTS .......GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...... for every Ferrari you sell, you'll need to sell 50 Chevettes.

Edited by jimjum12

I get the fixation with the big ticket items...... they appeal to all of us. Unfortunately, the higher the price tag, the smaller the buying pool. Many, many collectors can drop 100 bucks on something they want and I dare say that if you actually want to make a living selling comics, you should focus on acquiring books in the 20 -200 neighborhood that can be sold at a 25% mark up. You mention studying the market, but this can be deceiving..... mainly because by the time market trends become obvious, the ship has often sailed. Many new dealers look at customers as serving the dealer's goals..... but successful dealers quickly learn that it is the dealer who serves the customer's goals. Learn about your customers and find ways to serve their needs. Without repeat business, success will be elusive.I would also suggest developing a professional network..... other dealer's that you know and trust..... attending shows is crucial for this. If you're strictly an Internet Jockey, you're just basically panning for the same gold in the same stream that your customer is. I think we'd all like to sell a million dollar book, providing, of course, that we didn't pay a million and a half for it..... but folks who buy million dollar books are often going to be extremely loyal to certain venues were trust has been built up over decades of transactional growth. Steve Fishler, a seller of million dollar books, started out working the show circuit for other dealers. I would suggest going to www.metropoliscomics.com and checking out the Comic Zone Radio archives, with a focus on the interviews with notable dealers. A valuable lesson that I've learned.... and I'm still FAR from what I'd call successful, is that there are glass ceilings for price levels, with fewer "playas" the higher the level gets. Understanding the dynamics of disposable income and buying power of the average collector will save you a lot of heartache. Many, many collectors are just not participating in the 1000 dollar pool...... and significantly less than that will drop 2500 on a book. It's been my experience that the buying pool begins to thin significantly at the 500 dollar level. Understand the economy of the market, and know that a customer is not just a wallet with legs. They have families, mortgages, car payments, grocery bills, etc...... and comics are far down the list. Cultivate "want lists" and take note when items show up for multiple customers. Also there are two markets, the national one that is like viewing Shangri-La through binoculars, and YOUR market.... which is what your actual customers are seeking and acquiring.... those are the ones that matter. It's a long hard road..... and I, for one, have been failing to become a professional dealer for 25 years now. I may not be able to share what works.... but I can certainly share what DOESN'T (thumbs u ........GLWTS .......GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...... for every Ferrari you sell, you'll need to sell 50 Chevettes.

That's a long post filled with info I'll read it later and thanks.

Today's Thoughts

Yes I sold my nyx #3 need to sell the other comics.

Comics sold today

NYX #3

Plans

Sell my copies of JLA #1'S, TT 44 and IM 282 then get the ba12 pressed and graded.

See guys I'm listening I'm selling my comics worth more chunks of money to get more cashflow :)

Today's Thoughts

Comics sold today

NYX #3

Plans

Sell my copies of JLA #1'S, TT 44 and IM 282 then get the ba12 pressed and graded.

See guys I'm listening I'm selling my comics worth more chunks of money to get more cashflow :)

Seems like you're just listening to yourself. For the past couple days everyone has been suggesting you take a break from selling and just appreciate the hobby more by taking your time and just collect. Its great that someone actually turned to you to sell their book but even with the boost in your confidence from that you really lack experience and any business and common sense to be successful.

Seriously, you should check out David Cross's show The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret. You might find a lot of similarities between your decision and Todd's life decisions.

Today's Thoughts

Comics sold today

NYX #3

Plans

Seems like you're just listening to yourself. For the past couple days everyone has been suggesting you take a break from selling and just appreciate the hobby more by taking your time and just collect. Its great that someone actually turned to you to sell their book but even with the boost in your confidence from that you really lack experience and any business and common sense to be successful.

Seriously, you should check out David Cross's show The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret. You might find a lot of similarities between your decision and Todd's life decisions.

I'll check that out sometime :)

Today's Thoughts

Yes I got a asm 300 triple signed

JLA #1 CGC 1.8 Update

I traded my jla #1 cgc 1.8 for a asm 300 cgc 9.2 tripled signed by stan lee, mcfarlane and david something and 150 cash which I think is a great deal

My strategy

I'm going to start trading away the comics that are harder for me to sell for comics that are quick to sell :)

Not sure I would've made that trade, but it's better than your last one. So progress (I guess).

I know I would because I can make a profit with this trade and it's easier to sell two birds with one stone.

8 8