• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Hey guys you've done a lot for me and put in lots of effort into helping me and I do appreciate it even though some don't believe me. I want your opinions on if you want to hear a story about me? I will hold nothing back and will be kind of graphic not in the sense of pictures but what I write about. I want you people to understand why I do things the way I do and will take a couple of days to write so lets hear your thoughts

Uhmm...Airing your personal life story and tragedy may not be the best thing to do on an Internet message board.

Besides those two days to write would be better spent hitting the pavement looking for work or going to a job resource center.

Speaking of that, you say you want a regular job. What are you doing to get one? And for gosh sakes listen to others and drop this poorly conceived consignment idea and just focus on getting your mess together.

Edited by Wall-Crawler

I think you would have been fine if you had just declined the deal instead asking for more money. Asking for more money was your mistake and I think he was right to be upset with your behavior. Being called a scammer might be a little extreme but you were definitely being a little greedy by asking for more. .

I know that now and I keep being repeated the same thing I know that asking for more money was greedy when I already agreed to the terms I won't make that mistake again.

Hey guys you've done a lot for me and put in lots of effort into helping me and I do appreciate it even though some don't believe me. I want your opinions on if you want to hear a story about me? I will hold nothing back and will be kind of graphic not in the sense of pictures but what I write about. I want you people to understand why I do things the way I do and will take a couple of days to write so lets hear your thoughts

I would not do that if I were you. It'll come back and bite you eventually. If you need to open up them pm the members you trust. You're not the only one with a disability and you shouldn't think that by letting people know about your disadvantages that people will give you a pass.

Ok I won't write the story then if people are interested then they can pm me. I don't except people to give me a free pass in anything and yes I have disadvantages but I wouldn't ask for handouts or anything like that.

Uhmm...Airing your personal life story and tragedy may not be the best thing to do on an Internet message board.

Besides those two days to write would be better spent hitting the pavement looking for work or going to a job resource center.

Speaking of that, you say you want a regular job. What are you doing to get one? And for gosh sakes listen to others and drop this poorly conceived consignment idea and just focus on getting your mess together.

Ok I won't say the story them and I do look for jobs what pisses me off the most is people saying they hire but don't give a rats about it and I think I have a pretty good resume considering that I'm applying for entry level jobs.

+1

You have said, repeatedly, that getting a job is a priority. I don't think this is true at all. I think you applied to a couple of comic stores, got turned down, and then convinced yourself that your "comic business" Is a substitute for a real job. Throwing money down the rabbit hole is not a job, it's simply throwing money away, no matter how hard you are working at it. What you should be saying is that there are no jobs that appeal to you. Are you actually asking us to believe that there are no restaurants, stores or warehouses in your area? You don't need any experience to flip hamburgers, run a cash register or unload trucks. It's called supporting yourself and paying your dues. And stop blaming your learning disability for your problems. Lots of people have disabilities way worse than yours, and the successful ones found a way to overcome or compensate for them.

+1

You have said, repeatedly, that getting a job is a priority. I don't think this is true at all. I think you applied to a couple of comic stores, got turned down, and then convinced yourself that your "comic business" Is a substitute for a real job. Throwing money down the rabbit hole is not a job, it's simply throwing money away, no matter how hard you are working at it. What you should be saying is that there are no jobs that appeal to you. Are you actually asking us to believe that there are no restaurants, stores or warehouses in your area? You don't need any experience to flip hamburgers, run a cash register or unload trucks. It's called supporting yourself and paying your dues. And stop blaming your learning disability for your problems. Lots of people have disabilities way worse than yours, and the successful ones found a way to overcome or compensate for them.

No that's wrong about the jobs part I have applied to any and all jobs that I can I've applied to comic book stores yes that's true but I'm not only applying to them I'm going wherever I can find a job. I know people have worse disabilities then I do I never said I did. I don't know what I have and neither do the psychologists so unless I know what I have I don't know what to do about it since doctors don't believe me when I say I have a learning disability.

+1

No that's wrong about the jobs part I have applied to any and all jobs that I can I've applied to comic book stores yes that's true but I'm not only applying to them I'm going wherever I can find a job. I know people have worse disabilities then I do I never said I did. I don't know what I have and neither do the psychologists so unless I know what I have I don't know what to do about it since doctors don't believe me when I say I have a learning disability.

:facepalm: I give up.

"Possible 4-figure deal"

:facepalm:

I would venture that most everyone here genuinely wants to see others find happiness and success in pursuing ventures that they truly believe in and are passionate about. And they'll do whatever they can to encourage and support that success. I think most of the comments and advice here have been offered in that spirit.

But there's a fine line between helpful encouragement and enabling. And I think we're pretty close to crossing that line if we haven't already.

I sincerely wish you the best. But at this point, for me, to offer anymore advice or encouragement would be like handing an alcoholic another beer.

I don't know what I have and neither do the psychologists so unless I know what I have I don't know what to do about it since doctors don't believe me when I say I have a learning disability.

So you're using this as an excuse for your actions? Its pretty sad that your psychologist don't know what you have and that doctors don't even believe you have a learning disability. Earlier you mentioned people tell you you're lazy and that you throw out the "disability card" to change the way they think of you. That is pretty sad kid.

I don't know what I have and neither do the psychologists so unless I know what I have I don't know what to do about it since doctors don't believe me when I say I have a learning disability.

So you're using this as an excuse for your actions? Its pretty sad that your psychologist don't know what you have and that doctors don't even believe you have a learning disability. Earlier you mentioned people tell you you're lazy and that you throw out the "disability card" to change the way they think of you. That is pretty sad kid.

Yes and no I'd be lying if I said it doesn't affected my thinking and yes because it does effect my thinking. The doctors don't believe me because they saw they don't see anything wrong with me. I was lazy when I was moving from place to place to list my comics nothing more. I don't throw out the disability card because it's something I have and mention it to people because when I say it they think I'm lying that I have something wrong with me. I'm here to learn and succeed nothing more because as much as some people say they want me to succeed they have conflicting ideas about that when I mess something up.

We should probably lay off the comments either way on his disability. He's gonna be responsible for himself the rest of his life regardless, whether he's hindered, making excuses, really trying, or any combination thereof.

But know that everything you report and every question you (op) ask can affect how your potential market (consigners and customers) view you. But seriously, no I mean seriously, your geography is currently absolutely crippling for someone who doesn't already have significant comic stock or connections or travel to the US regularly. Even the smartest and most educated members of the board would have a near impossible time building a comic business from your position.

You got no other choices, take out a loan and go to trade school and learn a skill (welding, auto, medical assistant, plumbing, etc). Got a learning disability? work four times harder. Maybe it's not fair, but it's life. There's always gonna be someone smarter, richer, more connected, hotter, more spoiled, who has it easier than you or me. You're lucky to be in a country that will kinda take care of you while you get your junk together, so get it together or give up your dream. You want to buy a million dollar comic, it's a million times easier to go to school, get a job, move up, work hard, be smart, make smart investments, marry well$$, and use your $$ to buy the comic. How many comic dealers in the world today do you think can buy and sell a million dollar comic? What are their stories? Do you know how they began? Do you know who they are? If not, why not?

back to comics in your 30s when everything is more stable. Comics will still be here.

We should probably lay off the comments either way on his disability. He's gonna be responsible for himself the rest of his life regardless, whether he's hindered, making excuses, really trying, or any combination thereof.

But know that everything you report and every question you (op) ask can affect how your potential market (consigners and customers) view you. But seriously, no I mean seriously, your geography is currently absolutely crippling for someone who doesn't already have significant comic stock or connections or travel to the US regularly. Even the smartest and most educated members of the board would have a near impossible time building a comic business from your position.

You got no other choices, take out a loan and go to trade school and learn a skill (welding, auto, medical assistant, plumbing, etc). Got a learning disability? work four times harder. Maybe it's not fair, but it's life. There's always gonna be someone smarter, richer, more connected, hotter, more spoiled, who has it easier than you or me. You're lucky to be in a country that will kinda take care of you while you get your junk together, so get it together or give up your dream. You want to buy a million dollar comic, it's a million times easier to go to school, get a job, move up, work hard, be smart, make smart investments, marry well$$, and use your $$ to buy the comic. How many comic dealers in the world today do you think can buy and sell a million dollar comic? What are their stories? Do you know how they began? Do you know who they are? If not, why not?

back to comics in your 30s when everything is more stable. Comics will still be here.

I think your right about most things you've said but instead of working harder I need to work smarter imagine how far ahead I'd be if I didn't make any mistakes. I still need to sell my comics I have any I'll give consignments a try and if it fails I'll take a break from it and come back when I'm more stable but if I try anything I'll let you guys review it especially when it comes to legalese :)

Stumbled on this post and I think the advice the boardies are dropping here is priceless. Seriously, I'm starting from page 1 and reading. Some good folks on these boards.

I know they have awesome advice here :)

I think your right about most things you've said but instead of working harder I need to work smarter imagine how far ahead I'd be if I didn't make any mistakes. I still need to sell my comics I have any I'll give consignments a try and if it fails I'll take a break from it and come back when I'm more stable but if I try anything I'll let you guys review it especially when it comes to legalese :)

-- to succeed at consignments - you REALLY need to have an established business.

Small consignments - what this translates into - " I found someone to sell all my dollar drek for me". This will translate into a lot of work for little profit. You would be better off doing this for your own good - instead of someone else. Larger commissions - you have to really look at what you bring to the table vs Comiclink, HA, Comicconnect - or any one of the dozens of board member WHO HAVE THEIR OWN STORES bring to the table. There are plenty of hard workers that are established and can maximize the return for their consignees.

Step back ---- start selling a MIX of what you have - some small and some bigger books. Stick to ebay as this is the LARGEST audience out there. USE THIS MONEY AS SEED MONEY TO PURCHASE SMALL COLLECTIONS. If you are unable to find a good cost to resale value when buying in bulk from someone - you will never be able to accurately consign anything.

Even HA has some good BULK deals - you will not make a ton of $$$ back on them - but if you choose carefully you will get some cash back buying and splitting up for resale - but more importantly you will get more EXPERIENCE!!!!.

You keep trying to skip 100 or so steps on the way to success. If you mess up your own sales - your learn a great lesson and have an opportunity to develop great customer service. If you mess up consignments - you are in a lose lose situation as you have no experience to guide you.

This is a small thing, but your YouTube/Kijiji stuff indicates you are near the USA border, your board ID location says you live in Alberta, and your eBay listings say your books are located north of Toronto.

If I was looking to buy one of your books off eBay and discovered your YouTube/Kijiji/Board locations were different from your eBay location, then I would not go forward with the purchase.

Hey, I just found this thread and first want to say how amazed I am that this community will take the time to help each other and provide a wealth of assistance, guidance, and support to a struggling member regardless of how that help is received. It is incredibly admirable and reaffirms my love for this hobby and its members.

Gabriel, I sincerely empathize with you. I have spent the last 10 years working toward a dream job that I focused on so much that I not only stopped looking for viable alternatives, I convinced myself that this dream was the only possibility for me to be successful. This thought process has led to some positive times where I felt close to acheiving what I wanted and there have been incredibly negative times that were caused by my inability to adapt to the changing environment. This fixation impacted friendships and relationships as well as caused me to pass over opportunities that had the potential for being extremely beneficial to me in the long term. I lied to myself and said that this was the only thing that I was good at. I thought that there was only one way to achieve what I wanted no matter how many times I hit a barrier. I stopped listening to advice that I didn't agree with or differed from my developed plan.

Ultimately, I was unsuccessful.

It was hard to accept. I didn't think that I could accept it. It really tore me up for a long time and you know what? The realization and the acceptance didn't happen immediately or even quickly, it happened in stages over time. It didn't matter what any individual friend said or did to try to help me but it was the general, persistent support from my support network that guided me, over time, to the realization that my worth is more than just this one facet.

This realization prompted me to broaden my horizons and refocus my efforts to find an occupation where I could achieve a level of enjoyment comparable to what I thought my dream job would give me. Actually exploring opportunities outside of what I had previously limited myself to was very reassuring and boosted my confidence. Once again, it didn't happen over night and it wasn't easy, but I found a job that I would have previously not thought was achievable and am on track for both progression and upward mobility.

I can't offer you advice on comic sales. I am only a buyer for nostalgia and appreciation for the medium. You already have a wealth of information from the others on this board. What I can offer though, if you want and are comfortable, is advice and assistance with resumes, job interviews, and tools to use that set you up for success when looking for a job. I have been through this process for the past 8 months and have acquired some assets and knowledge that might be beneficial if you are interested. I am willing to help so PM me if you want to. Even if you don't, I sincerely wish you success and encourage you to stay positiveand don't give up. Don't let "not giving up" turn into not adapting though. Situations change and successful people adapt to that change. They also seek multiple routes to success.

my 2 cents

Edited by jrob29

Gabe,if its what weve talked about in pm,id leave it out..some people may be harsh and or judgemental.

But if it helps YOU at all to get it off your chest...

Hey, I just found this thread and first want to say how amazed I am that this community will take the time to help each other and provide a wealth of assistance, guidance, and support to a struggling member regardless of how that help is received. It is incredibly admirable and reaffirms my love for this hobby and its members.

Gabriel, I sincerely empathize with you. I have spent the last 10 years working toward a dream job that I focused on so much that I not only stopped looking for viable alternatives, I convinced myself that this dream was the only possibility for me to be successful. This thought process has led to some positive times where I felt close to acheiving what I wanted and there have been incredibly negative times that were caused by my inability to adapt to the changing environment. This fixation impacted friendships and relationships as well as caused me to pass over opportunities that had the potential for being extremely beneficial to me in the long term. I lied to myself and said that this was the only thing that I was good at. I thought that there was only one way to achieve what I wanted no matter how many times I hit a barrier. I stopped listening to advice that I didn't agree with or differed from my developed plan.

Ultimately, I was unsuccessful.

It was hard to accept. I didn't think that I could accept it. It really tore me up for a long time and you know what? The realization and the acceptance didn't happen immediately or even quickly, it happened in stages over time. It didn't matter what any individual friend said or did to try to help me but it was the general, persistent support from my support network that guided me, over time, to the realization that my worth is more than just this one facet.

This realization prompted me to broaden my horizons and refocus my efforts to find an occupation where I could achieve a level of enjoyment comparable to what I thought my dream job would give me. Actually exploring opportunities outside of what I had previously limited myself to was very reassuring and boosted my confidence. Once again, it didn't happen over night and it wasn't easy, but I found a job that I would have previously not thought was achievable and am on track for both progression and upward mobility.

I can't offer you advice on comic sales. I am only a buyer for nostalgia and appreciation for the medium. You already have a wealth of information from the others on this board. What I can offer though, if you want and are comfortable, is advice and assistance with resumes, job interviews, and tools to use that set you up for success when looking for a job. I have been through this process for the past 8 months and have acquired some assets and knowledge that might be beneficial if you are interested. I am willing to help so PM me if you want to. Even if you don't, I sincerely wish you success and encourage you to stay positiveand don't give up. Don't let "not giving up" turn into not adapting though. Situations change and successful people adapt to that change. They also seek multiple routes to success.

my 2 cents

Outstanding post, even in a thread that's seen a lot of them. Hope you'll stick around. (thumbs u

8 8