• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

As much of a goofus as Gabe has proven to be in this thread, I'm not sure I agree with some of the posts regarding him living at home. He's 20 (or 21). How many people were on their own at that age? He does pay them some rent (I paid my parents rent too, but I know it wasn't an "even up" split). Which is probably more than most 20 year olds living at home do. That's actually good on his parents for "teaching" him that responsibility (ie, bills to pay!).

Pretty sure I moved out for good when I was 22/23. So, he's close, but most parents (I think) are going to help their kid out that way. I'm sure they aren't thrilled with how he spends his money (rightfully so!).

My wife's younger brother lives with us. He just turned 18 and graduated HS. We've told him he could continue living with us (rent free) as long as he's in school full time. If he decides he doesn't want to do school anymore, he will have to pay his share to live in our house. He's got a part time job to cover his car payment, insurance and spending money.

I can buy all of this. I know guys who still live at home in their 30s and if it works for them and their parents that's great. But Gabe is on a public forum complaining about his parents,,and he's showing absolutely no gratitude for what they have done for him. I'm willing to bet Gabe doesn't pay much rent, doesn't do much around the house, never cooks meals for his parents and never thanks them. And I admit, it's a sore spot for me as I have a sister in law who does everything for her daughter, and I mean everything, and her daughter constantly goes on facebook and about her.

And Gabe, I don't mean to be harsh. I think you're an ok guy but I see a continuous pattern of problems and a lot of denial. If your parents and your friends don't help you they're sending a clear message - you should listen.

I thank my parents what they need to be thanked for and don't tell me I'm a ungrateful brat it's what I used to be when I took things for granted but after getting kicked out twice I don't and about cooking I'd love to help but not good with tools.

One last piece of advice. You talk about buying and selling comics like it's a business, but then you talk about how you hate moderns and variants. If it's a business than what you like or don't like DOES NOT MATTER! If it's a business then you buy what you can sell for a profit. That's why I commented on your Man Thing 2 purchase earlier. I don't care that it's a $2 comic. What I care about is no one wants a Man Thing 2. That means you bought it because you liked it.

Let's review your ASM 129 purchase. You paid the 90 day average of an 8.5 and got an 8.0. You have already paid more for your 8.0 than it is worth. You now want to offer it for sale on Facebook at a 20% premium on the idea that someone will pay more if you allow for time payments. Even if this works out, your money is now tied up for months while you wait for the time payments to be completed. If it doesn't sell in a couple months you then want to crack it out, pay to press it, pay to grade it, and hope it grade higher. Now you are adding another 2-3 months minimum. Looking at your situation, the best case scenario is you find someone on Facebook to pay you a 20% premium over gpa and you make $200 in 3 months. (Not going to happen).

More likely scenario. You can't find a buyer at your price, you send it for pressing and regrading, get the same grade back or maybe an 8.5 and in 6 months you still have the book. Then you sell it for less than you paid and with all the shipping, pressing fees, grading fees, and overpaying for it originally, you end up losing $300 on the book and have your money tied up for more than 6 months.

This is madness. Sell your books. Stop buying. Focus on something else more productive. We are not being mean here. We are trying to help you.

I'm out.

No I don't like man thing at all and where all you getting all your time evaluations? The way I would send it would be about a month's time but I'll count it since I'm curious. Also yes my plan is to sell the comic as quickly as I can if not I'll have it pressed, cleaned and regarded.

What you are NOT acknowledging is that there has NOT been a sale of an ASM #129 CGC 8.0 over $1000.00 - You paid $956 by the time you account for taxes and shipping to you. The HIGHEST sale of a 8.0 was $943. Your costs are already over the highest amount paid for this book to date.

What you are not answering is HOW do you think you are going to get $1100 or $1200 for this book? Are you counting on setting the next GPA high?

There are PLENTY of sellers offering this book and many who also offer time payments without a buyer having to pay a "premium" for the privilege of time payments.

Now, if you pay to send it to CGC to get pressed and graded, provided you don't pay for fast track (which costs more) you are either going to A) have your money tied up for a long time or B) spend more to get it back sooner.

Say to ship the slab to CCS is what, $15 USD to ship to USA properly insured. To have it have it pressed is another $25 USD (Value?). So say roughly another $40. Then another $35 USD for Economy grading tier. Then another what, $40 to $50 to have it FedEx back? So roughly another $100 MINIMUM to have ship it out, pressed, graded, shipped back. You would be looking at a total investment hovering around $1,100.00 USD or so.

Here is the $1,100 question...What if after all this time and extra expenses it DOES NOT get a grade bump?

Did you even LOOK at the book using the scan feature on the site to check for imperfections? I did. Did you not see the staple tear? The spine ticks? What do the graders notes say? What makes you so certain that it will get a bump? Even if it gets a .5 bump you will likely still be in the hole after selling fees.

BIG, poorly conceived and irresponsible purchase.

I looked at all the things that would make this comic better after pressing, multiple creases, dirty front and back cover, corners that can be pressed out a bit, waviness and also spine roll. I acknowledge that I paid the most for a 8.0 but that was because I thought I was getting a 8.5 and yes if no one buys outright or time payments in 1-2 months time I'll review the graders notes and decide what to do because I asked 5 pressers if the staple tear is a problem and one 1 said he can do it without making it worse and I already sent comics to him before.

I think this thread has gotten to the point where it is doing more harm than good. I would suggest that the moderators close this thread.

This is my journal and I never forced you to come here at all. So don't barge in here saying this is a bad idea this is my learning tool.

One last piece of advice. You talk about buying and selling comics like it's a business, but then you talk about how you hate moderns and variants. If it's a business than what you like or don't like DOES NOT MATTER! If it's a business then you buy what you can sell for a profit. That's why I commented on your Man Thing 2 purchase earlier. I don't care that it's a $2 comic. What I care about is no one wants a Man Thing 2. That means you bought it because you liked it.

Let's review your ASM 129 purchase. You paid the 90 day average of an 8.5 and got an 8.0. You have already paid more for your 8.0 than it is worth. You now want to offer it for sale on Facebook at a 20% premium on the idea that someone will pay more if you allow for time payments. Even if this works out, your money is now tied up for months while you wait for the time payments to be completed. If it doesn't sell in a couple months you then want to crack it out, pay to press it, pay to grade it, and hope it grade higher. Now you are adding another 2-3 months minimum. Looking at your situation, the best case scenario is you find someone on Facebook to pay you a 20% premium over gpa and you make $200 in 3 months. (Not going to happen).

More likely scenario. You can't find a buyer at your price, you send it for pressing and regrading, get the same grade back or maybe an 8.5 and in 6 months you still have the book. Then you sell it for less than you paid and with all the shipping, pressing fees, grading fees, and overpaying for it originally, you end up losing $300 on the book and have your money tied up for more than 6 months.

This is madness. Sell your books. Stop buying. Focus on something else more productive. We are not being mean here. We are trying to help you.

I'm out.

No I don't like man thing at all and where all you getting all your time evaluations? The way I would send it would be about a month's time but I'll count it since I'm curious. Also yes my plan is to sell the comic as quickly as I can if not I'll have it pressed, cleaned and regarded.

What you are NOT acknowledging is that there has NOT been a sale of an ASM #129 CGC 8.0 over $1000.00 - You paid $956 by the time you account for taxes and shipping to you. The HIGHEST sale of a 8.0 was $943. Your costs are already over the highest amount paid for this book to date.

What you are not answering is HOW do you think you are going to get $1100 or $1200 for this book? Are you counting on setting the next GPA high?

There are PLENTY of sellers offering this book and many who also offer time payments without a buyer having to pay a "premium" for the privilege of time payments.

Now, if you pay to send it to CGC to get pressed and graded, provided you don't pay for fast track (which costs more) you are either going to A) have your money tied up for a long time or B) spend more to get it back sooner.

Say to ship the slab to CCS is what, $15 USD to ship to USA properly insured. To have it have it pressed is another $25 USD (Value?). So say roughly another $40. Then another $35 USD for Economy grading tier. Then another what, $40 to $50 to have it FedEx back? So roughly another $100 MINIMUM to have ship it out, pressed, graded, shipped back. You would be looking at a total investment hovering around $1,100.00 USD or so.

Here is the $1,100 question...What if after all this time and extra expenses it DOES NOT get a grade bump?

Did you even LOOK at the book using the scan feature on the site to check for imperfections? I did. Did you not see the staple tear? The spine ticks? What do the graders notes say? What makes you so certain that it will get a bump? Even if it gets a .5 bump you will likely still be in the hole after selling fees.

I looked at all the things that would make this comic better after pressing, multiple creases, dirty front and back cover, corners that can be pressed out a bit, waviness and also spine roll. I acknowledge that I paid the most for a 8.0 but that was because I thought I was getting a 8.5 and yes if no one buys outright or time payments in 1-2 months time I'll review the graders notes and decide what to do because I asked 5 pressers if the staple tear is a problem and one 1 said he can do it without making it worse and I already sent comics to him before.

So the other four pressers warned you about the tear?

Spine roll on that book? lol

I'm out.

So the other four pressers warned you about the tear?

Spine roll on that book? lol

I wouldn't say warned me but they didn't want to press it for me because of the staple tears.

This thread is like watching your best friend ruining his life, and you can't do anything about it. :cry:

A nightmare wrapped in a daydream

Keith doesn't want the book he already has an 8.0 not to mention he isnt going to pay 20% over market. If he really wanted it that badly I would have sourced him one. Heck I have an 8.5 I'll be bringing into his shop in 2 weeks time ;)

Is it wrong to say I'm going to laugh when you cpr the book and it doesn't get a grade bump... You don't have the knowledge or the funds to gamble on a grade bump. Many have said cgc us tight atm coupled that with if it doesn't go up a full point (9.0 you are still losing!!!)

If you want to sell comics and make money I have some short boxes filled with $1 books I would gladly sell for $0.33c a unit and heck I would even drive them over just to free some space.

So, you say you're learning. What have you learned?

No offense but you just bought an 8.0 thinking it was an 8.5 and overpaid for it. I don't understand how this can happen when you don't have a large margin for error with your flipping.

A second job is not something I'm comfortable with managing and please don't give me this "hard work n stuff" bull. I worked hard for my previous job lifting groceries for other people in all kinds of weather some things over 50 pounds and do you know what my boss told me when I said I couldn't handle lifting anymore? Go find another job. So that was the thanks I got for working my off for him? Never again.

Well what in the hell would you expect!? Your boss hired you to do a certain job, you said you didn't want to - there's the door g'bye!

Your "thanks" for doing the job you were hired and trained to do was called your "paycheck". What the hell else did you want, a trophy? A cake? An invite to his house for Thanksgiving dinner? Grow the hell up!

You are the living embodiment of the "Entitlement Mentality".

Calling hard work "bull" and blaming your boss for telling you to go find another job when you told him you didn't want to do the job that he hired you to do is simply pathetic.

You are 24 going on 12.

It's one thing to be handicapped or disabled and acknowledging it as a limitation to what work you can do - but you don't do that - you actually call hard work "bull" and blame your boss for not letting you NOT do your job!

That's not disabled, that's just a pisspoor attitude that will keep you living in poverty FOR-EV-ER.

All the comic buying/selling/trading shenanigans aside, here's one part I can't get past.

The OP keeps saying that he wants to get a job that offers more hours, yet he has a job.

When I managed a restaurant, I never gave hours to anyone...employees earned their hours.

My superstars...the ones that went above and beyond by either covering a last minute call-off, cleaning in between other jobs, or just having great attitudes were the ones I took care of. I always made sure they had the hours they were looking for. I couldn't do my job well without them.

Even the people a step down from my superstars...the people that were always on time for their shift, who followed directions well, and had good attitudes were sure to get 30-40 hours a week depending on their needs. I'd work with them because they made my life easier.

But the bums...the ones that showed up late for shifts, never covered a shift outside of their schedule, people with bad attitudes who obviously took no pride in what they did, these people would generally get 15 hours or less. Even the people who were good at a specific job but had poor attitudes, they are bums to me. I'd take an unskilled hard-worker over a skilled diva with a poor attitude any day.

What I'm saying to the OP is that if you're not getting enough hours at work, it's nobody's fault but yours.

Do a self-assessment:

• Are you there early every day? No exceptions? Remember, if you're "on-time", you're late. Be 5 minutes early for every shift.
  • Is your uniform clean, nails clean and trimmed, hair washed, combed and out of the way? I don't care if you work in the back, you need to look presentable at work at all times.
  • Check your attitude. When you're assigned a job, do you grumble and meander over to it, or is your response a peppy "sure thing!" with physical enthusiasm to match?
  • What are you doing during slow times? If you're a dishwasher, what do you do between trays of dishes to be done? Is your station spotless? If not, clean it. If the area is perfect, grab something like a pot or a board and give it a deep cleaning. Make it like new again. Things like this is restaurants get dingy after time. A little elbow grease goes a long way.
  • Are you smiling? I don't care if you hate the job. SMILE! It goes a LOOOOOONG way.

Supposedly, the OP says he "wants" another income, but apparently just not - ya' know... a JOB.

Jobs get in the way of his super-valuable sleep/game/money-losing-comic-addiction time.

Maybe he does want a second job (like everyone's been telling him to get) but he doesn't want a job nearly as much as he wants to regularly pay full-market-value for comicbooks that cost more than his monthly rent.

He kinda sorta a little bit wants to work (not really though, work is hard n'stuff), and he really doesn't want a SECOND job (ya' know - another income stream) - so instead he just wants buy nearly thousand-dollar books that he doesn't even know what he's buying.

So OP..... what's your next great comic money-pit you're looking at hitching on to? We all know you're nowhere near done buying big yet, and you're clearly still not completely out of money yet ,and we all know you're probably already got an idea of your next "big score", so.... do tell. It's most interesting.

A second job is not something I'm comfortable with managing and please don't give me this "hard work n stuff" bull. I worked hard for my previous job lifting groceries for other people in all kinds of weather some things over 50 pounds and do you know what my boss told me when I said I couldn't handle lifting anymore? Go find another job. So that was the thanks I got for working my off for him? Never again.

I have to give you credit. You reply to everybody and you keep coming back for more.

God, if your definition of a tough job is lifting groceries you're clearly not a motivated, hard worker. You seriously think that's a tough job?

I think this thread has gotten to the point where it is doing more harm than good. I would suggest that the moderators close this thread.

I have to agree with Red here regarding the thread doing more harm than good. I think we've past the point where good advice is going to have any impact whatsoever. Gabe is either too stubborn or too ignorant to take any of this advice onboard, this has been proven over and over.

I'm not saying that he makes these constant mistakes on purpose or for our entertainment, but he must be enjoying the attention to some extent.

I wonder if we all completely stopped posting here what the effect would be. At the very least it would free up the time Gabe spends responding to every post with his insightful, well thought out, rational and coherent replies. This would give him more time to "look" for a job.

No the one piece of advice I can think I don't listen to is people telling me to stop buying and selling comics.

And there is the problem. At this stage that is the one price of advice you should be taking. Why do you think you shouldn't take this advice?

All the comic buying/selling/trading shenanigans aside, here's one part I can't get past.

The OP keeps saying that he wants to get a job that offers more hours, yet he has a job.

When I managed a restaurant, I never gave hours to anyone...employees earned their hours.

My superstars...the ones that went above and beyond by either covering a last minute call-off, cleaning in between other jobs, or just having great attitudes were the ones I took care of. I always made sure they had the hours they were looking for. I couldn't do my job well without them.

Even the people a step down from my superstars...the people that were always on time for their shift, who followed directions well, and had good attitudes were sure to get 30-40 hours a week depending on their needs. I'd work with them because they made my life easier.

But the bums...the ones that showed up late for shifts, never covered a shift outside of their schedule, people with bad attitudes who obviously took no pride in what they did, these people would generally get 15 hours or less. Even the people who were good at a specific job but had poor attitudes, they are bums to me. I'd take an unskilled hard-worker over a skilled diva with a poor attitude any day.

What I'm saying to the OP is that if you're not getting enough hours at work, it's nobody's fault but yours.

Do a self-assessment:

• Are you there early every day? No exceptions? Remember, if you're "on-time", you're late. Be 5 minutes early for every shift.
  • Is your uniform clean, nails clean and trimmed, hair washed, combed and out of the way? I don't care if you work in the back, you need to look presentable at work at all times.
  • Check your attitude. When you're assigned a job, do you grumble and meander over to it, or is your response a peppy "sure thing!" with physical enthusiasm to match?
  • What are you doing during slow times? If you're a dishwasher, what do you do between trays of dishes to be done? Is your station spotless? If not, clean it. If the area is perfect, grab something like a pot or a board and give it a deep cleaning. Make it like new again. Things like this is restaurants get dingy after time. A little elbow grease goes a long way.
  • Are you smiling? I don't care if you hate the job. SMILE! It goes a LOOOOOONG way.

First off I don't smiled if I don't like something I don't fake my feelings. I was always there about 30 minutes early, my hygiene was so-so when I came to facial hair, I was eager to help others and I had a good attitude until you pissed me off. Everything was so busy there's not really anytime for anything else.

It seems like you don't exhibit the behaviors that an employer would find desirable and your attitude about your job is pretty bad. If you don't learn to control your emotions then you will never succeed in a job where you either work with other people or with the public. Your employer is paying you for your time to not only do a job but to also contribute to a team environment. If all you do is give people your attitude, don't smile, complain about the work you have to do, and come in with poor hygiene then you only have to blame yourself for not being able to move ahead in the workplace.

Do a self-assessment:

First off I don't smiled if I don't like something I don't fake my feelings. I was always there about 30 minutes early, my hygiene was so-so when I came to facial hair, I was eager to help others and I had a good attitude until you pissed me off. Everything was so busy there's not really anytime for anything else.

Smiling isn't a feeling. It's a physical expression. You can not like something and still smile. It's a skill, and a useful one if you want to move up in any job/career. I can't think of a single job out there where you're not going to have to put up with something/someone you don't especially like. It doesn't mean you have to grimace your way through it. If nothing else, consider it a form of training for voice acting. Your character's emotion won't always match up with your personal emotion. Despite what you're feeling inside, you need to be able to convey a positive outward appearance.

And having a good attitude "until you pissed me off"? Give me a break. A while back in this thread, before you found your current job, people were telling you that in an entry-level position you don't have the luxury of being "pissed off" if you want to succeed. You take your lumps and use your dissatisfaction with the job as motivation to improve to eventually EARN your way to a better position. Remember that bosses don't give more hours/promotions/raises...employees EARN them. When you stop trying to blame your boss and realize that you hold all the cards when it comes to improving yourself, you will vastly improve your station.

As far as it being so busy that you don't have time for anything else, make time! Go above and beyond. Tell yourself "I'm going to wash these dishes so fast that I'll have 10 minutes at the end of the night to deep scrub that pot until I can see myself in it". Wow your boss.

And if your hygiene was only "so-so" in any area and you work in a restaurant, that needs to be addressed IMMEDIATELY. In my experience, customers will give you a second chance if the service is bad or the food isn't perfect, but they will never come back if they think the restaurant or the people who worked it were dirty.

Re-read what I bulleted in my previous post. These aren't things where you can do them part-way. You're either doing them or you're not. Comics won't break the cycle of poverty you claim to be in, but your job might. It will take a lot of effort on your part, though.

No the one piece of advice I can think I don't listen to is people telling me to stop buying and selling comics.

.. and there you have it, Gabe. You have brought your problem home in one sentence .. and it's not like it's the casual poster in this thread offering this advice to you .. it's virtually everyone .. because we can see what a mess you are slowly (but surely) getting in to.

Please don't reply with " .. what mess? .. " .. as there's 206 pages of your

up

deals, trades, whatever. You have got lucky on a couple. That's not the norm for you.

LISTEN TO THAT ONE PIECE OF ADVICE! You might not like hearing it being repeated ad infinitum .. but, maaaan .. you do need to act on it.

8 8