• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Crossing streams :cloud9:

I think I joined this site about 3 years ago. I don't remember what my first thread was but I do know I had a lot more spending money. If you don't mind me asking what is your job?

My short term goals are pretty simple

Get a job with more hours

Sell of my comics

Decide or at least have a idea of what I want as a career

I do like how you worded that last paragraph I have the power of choice to end this cycle. That makes me feel good.

I work as a courier, the company term is a Field Services Technician, for a water testing lab. I drive around the Eastern and Northern part of Kentucky, going to different drinking water plants and waste water plants that contract us out to do their testing.

My job consists of

driving, driving and more driving. I drive around 8 hours every day just for the job. My travel time to and from work is about an hour round trip so I get around 9 hours window time every day. I take empty bottles for the testing, coolers, bags of ice, pH, chlorine, and dissolved oxygen meters and of course paper work with me.

Some places are simple. I pull in, take paperwork for the location and bottles to replace theirs that have sample in them and just exchange them out. I take their full bottles and filled out paperwork, note my arrival time and vehicle mileage, and put the sample bottles in a specified cooler, put ice on them and drive to my next place. Some place is just exchanging bottles and papers like that.

Some I actually have to collect the sample, which isn't bad, can be smelly though. I might have to fill up all their bottles at the designated sampling sites, which may be by a river or down some steps near a stream but nothing real strenuous. It is a very easy job and anyone can do it. I work for the largest lab in my state so the pay is very good, for the area I live in anyway.

Those are real good goals to have, Gabe, they really are. You also need to add

Don't buy anymore comics for flipping, no matter the cost

Don't buy anymore games for flipping, no matter the cost

You DO have the power to end the cycle but the way you are going you won't. People here are trying to direct you towards ending it but you keep veering yourself around and around in the cycle. Don't buy stuff to flip. No matter if it is $1, don't look for deals, focus all that deal searching on getting a better paying job and helping yourself. Following this hope, the purpose that you created this thread for, isn't what you need to do.

This thread isn't about buying and selling a million dollar comic anymore. It is about setting you on the path of success in life.

Those are big things to think about and I don't know my path yet and equally important is proving to myself that I can succeed at something with effort.

Yes, proving to yourself that you can succeed at something is good but you are going about it wrong. Succeeding at life is FAR more important than flipping comics and games. You need to work your way up to a good job and get a place of your own first. Those things are way more important even if you don't think they are. Getting a job that pays well and being out on your own is a huge confidence booster.

Then later, after you are settled down and successful, you can start flipping books as a hobby. That way you can continue to learn using your extra money and maybe then you can turn it into a "career" or at least a side job. It really does need to be on the back burner now though. You need to learn how to manage your priorities. Stop buying books, no matter how good of a deal and put all of that energy into finding a better job or getting a second job.

I don't know what I want out of my life career wise but I do know what I want. Another thing I want is having more then one stream of income which even people with well paying jobs do as well.

That is smart having multiple streams of income.

You are onto something there.

I think you're teasing here. He does have multiple streams, one is incoming and the other is outgoing.

Ane one is a tiny creek while the other is a raging river.

Sadly, nothing you say will ever stick with Gabe. He has been left to drift aimlessly by his parents, and to some degree every teacher he has had (who knows. maybe someone did try and came to the same realization he is going to do his own thing regardless).

More than a job you need a mentor Gabe. It should be your parents, but I fear they themselves lack the skill set to help themselves, let alone another human being. Try to find someone who can help provide direction and structure. I am certain you lack both, and while it may be difficult at first, eventually you will develop good habits and a routine in your life. If not, I fear you will become another sad statistic.

My parents don't care about helping me unless there's something in it for them I even had times where my mom wouldn't drive my to the post office because she didn't feel like it :( I do have some people I ask for help but when I ask someone to teach me they can't because their always busy or as soon as I mention I have a learning disability they shut me down.

Here you're blaming everyone else. Your parents don't help, people you know don't help, nobody helps. Perhaps your parents are devil spawn, but it's much more likely they've tried to help you, over and over, and you didn't really make any effort or learn or grow. Couple that with 'some people I ask for help' don't help and there's a crystal clear pattern. It's human nature to stop helping someone who doesn't listen or learn and doesn't help them self.

You live at home. That means your parents are continually helping you. Can you honestly say you pay 1/3 of the mortgage, food, utilities,internet and other costs of living in that home? Can you honestly say you do 1/3 of the cooking, yard work and house work? Can you honestly say your parents never drive you anywhere and have never helped you?

And regarding your specific example; perhaps your mother thinks comics are silly - most do, perhaps she's driven you many times and is tired of being a cab driver, or perhaps she thinks that you should be able to get around without help - you're an adult start acting like one.

As much of a goofus as Gabe has proven to be in this thread, I'm not sure I agree with some of the posts regarding him living at home. He's 20 (or 21). How many people were on their own at that age? He does pay them some rent (I paid my parents rent too, but I know it wasn't an "even up" split). Which is probably more than most 20 year olds living at home do. That's actually good on his parents for "teaching" him that responsibility (ie, bills to pay!).

Pretty sure I moved out for good when I was 22/23. So, he's close, but most parents (I think) are going to help their kid out that way. I'm sure they aren't thrilled with how he spends his money (rightfully so!).

My wife's younger brother lives with us. He just turned 18 and graduated HS. We've told him he could continue living with us (rent free) as long as he's in school full time. If he decides he doesn't want to do school anymore, he will have to pay his share to live in our house. He's got a part time job to cover his car payment, insurance and spending money.

As much of a goofus as Gabe has proven to be in this thread, I'm not sure I agree with some of the posts regarding him living at home. He's 20 (or 21). How many people were on their own at that age? He does pay them some rent (I paid my parents rent too, but I know it wasn't an "even up" split). Which is probably more than most 20 year olds living at home do. That's actually good on his parents for "teaching" him that responsibility (ie, bills to pay!).

Pretty sure I moved out for good when I was 22/23. So, he's close, but most parents (I think) are going to help their kid out that way. I'm sure they aren't thrilled with how he spends his money (rightfully so!).

My wife's younger brother lives with us. He just turned 18 and graduated HS. We've told him he could continue living with us (rent free) as long as he's in school full time. If he decides he doesn't want to do school anymore, he will have to pay his share to live in our house. He's got a part time job to cover his car payment, insurance and spending money.

Yeah, but he is getting some type of government subsidy payments. If I were Canadian, I would be pissed. If I got money every month for doing nothing, I would probably kick it in someone's basement, too.

Yeah, but he is getting some type of government subsidy payments. If I were Canadian, I would be pissed. If I got money every month for doing nothing, I would probably kick it in someone's basement, too.

I think he is off of welfare now, but was on it less than a year ago. And yes Canadians should be mad

I think he is off of welfare now, but was on it less than a year ago. And yes Canadians should be mad

Can someone explain how a 20-21 ( I thought he was mid 20's ) year old living at home can be eligible for welfare in the first place? I'm sure the laws are different in Canada, but this just seems odd to me.

Can someone explain how a 20-21 ( I thought he was mid 20's ) year old living at home can be eligible for welfare in the first place? I'm sure the laws are different in Canada, but this just seems odd to me.

In Ontario, there are two "streams" of income support. Ontario Works and the Ontario Disability Support Program.

Ontario Works helps people who are supposed to be in financial need. The Ontario Disability Support Program helps people who have disabilities with income and employment supports. Both have their own separate eligibility requirements. I believe the minimum age requirement for these programs is 18 years of age but I am not 100% as it might be dependent upon the situation.

Receiving such services, in and of itself, is not a bad thing. Only if it is abused, but as Gabe said, he is no longer receiving any such assistance so I guess we need to take him at his word.

There are LOTS of younger people staying at home for longer...I don't think that is wrong in and of itself, so long as they are actively working, looking for work, going to school, saving for a house or any other proactive activity that is leading them to independence. The example of allowing a brother-in-law to stay rent free while going to school but still having to be responsible for his own car, etc. is a great example of how it SHOULD work.

Gabe on the other hand, well, he has Peter Pan syndrome. I know he has learning challenges, but he only wants to do stuff he likes and not "put up with any bs", he has admitted to not having any patience and to being unmotivated to work. He deflects blame that either a) others don't want to help him or b) he minimizes his actions and lack of actions with "I'm learning", when in reality, he is not learning anything. He fancies about voice acting and selling a million dollars worth of comics when he can't even see that buying a ASM #129 CGC 8.0 (that he thought was an 8.5) at over FMV is not a good business decision if he wants to flip it.

Bottom line, he needs get his mess together and put the funnybook dream on hold.

I can buy all of this. I know guys who still live at home in their 30s and if it works for them and their parents that's great. But Gabe is on a public forum complaining about his parents,,and he's showing absolutely no gratitude for what they have done for him. I'm willing to bet Gabe doesn't pay much rent, doesn't do much around the house, never cooks meals for his parents and never thanks them. And I admit, it's a sore spot for me as I have a sister in law who does everything for her daughter, and I mean everything, and her daughter constantly goes on facebook and about her.

And Gabe, I don't mean to be harsh. I think you're an ok guy but I see a continuous pattern of problems and a lot of denial. If your parents and your friends don't help you they're sending a clear message - you should listen.

Edited by thehumantorch

This thread has turned into a real guilty pleasure. Maybe this is mean, I've only seen a few pages of posts so far, but damn, I can't look away now.

Like I said, it's like watching a plane crash into a trainwreck.

Over and over and over....

This thread has turned into a real guilty pleasure. Maybe this is mean, I've only seen a few pages of posts so far, but damn, I can't look away now.

Isn't this the second transaction that he came up short on an ASM #129?

Just click to any random page, they're all pretty good

I think he is off of welfare now, but was on it less than a year ago. And yes Canadians should be mad Are quite pissed at his parasitic lifestyle

Fixed

You "saved" it by the enormous generosity of a fellow boardie who just gave you $700 for finding a book for them.

And you're STILL trying to figure out a way to pay off your LAST mistakes which put you over a thousand dollars in the hole so at best, maybe some day in the future you MIGHT sell the 129 and get your money back - or not.

But you're so full of your addiction/obsession that you've become blind to that which is truly valuable and that which no one on this board has ever been given more of than you - for FREE.

Imagine someone giving you a nice copy of FF1 for FREE! Would you line the bottom of a birdcage with it or wipe your arse with it? Because that's exactly what you're doing with all the FAR more valuable professional advice, career counseling, personal help and industry expertise that everyone here has given you - and you just continue to wipe your arse with it and wonder where your next triple-digit dumbarse mistake will come from.

You've been given free gifts here - and you spit on them. Gee, why don't people give you more chances? Why doesn't your boss or coworkers treat you well? Look at this thread - and look at the professionals, dealers and experienced comic collectors and sellers who've spent HOURS trying to give you tailored advice only to see you f-up by throwing their most sincere advice right into the gutter.

You don't need a mentor - you'd be wasting their time, just like you wasted all the advice every "mentor" in this thread has given you for the past year or two.

You need a major attitude adjustment and massive step-up in maturity. And that's all on you.

No the one piece of advice I can think I don't listen to is people telling me to stop buying and selling comics.

8 8