• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Keith doesn't want the book he already has an 8.0 not to mention he isnt going to pay 20% over market. If he really wanted it that badly I would have sourced him one. Heck I have an 8.5 I'll be bringing into his shop in 2 weeks time ;)

Is it wrong to say I'm going to laugh when you cpr the book and it doesn't get a grade bump... You don't have the knowledge or the funds to gamble on a grade bump. Many have said cgc us tight atm coupled that with if it doesn't go up a full point (9.0 you are still losing!!!)

If you want to sell comics and make money I have some short boxes filled with $1 books I would gladly sell for $0.33c a unit and heck I would even drive them over just to free some space.

The best I see the asm 129 getting is a 8.5 and I didn't expect him to overpay since he's in the business to make money. I don't want any more 1 dollar comics I don't even know what to do with the ones I have.

You've been told often enough. Sell them. Ebay, Craigslist, etc

No one is even looking or asking questions about my dollar comics and I can't really go less then a dollar for them

Keith doesn't want the book he already has an 8.0 not to mention he isnt going to pay 20% over market. If he really wanted it that badly I would have sourced him one. Heck I have an 8.5 I'll be bringing into his shop in 2 weeks time ;)

Is it wrong to say I'm going to laugh when you cpr the book and it doesn't get a grade bump... You don't have the knowledge or the funds to gamble on a grade bump. Many have said cgc us tight atm coupled that with if it doesn't go up a full point (9.0 you are still losing!!!)

If you want to sell comics and make money I have some short boxes filled with $1 books I would gladly sell for $0.33c a unit and heck I would even drive them over just to free some space.

The best I see the asm 129 getting is a 8.5 and I didn't expect him to overpay since he's in the business to make money. I don't want any more 1 dollar comics I don't even know what to do with the ones I have.

Why have a small profit on a dollar book when you can have a large loss on an expensive book! #winning

Because I won't have a loss on the comic even though you don't see it that way.

How will you not have a loss on this book? The 8.0 won't sell for 1050 (what you need to sell it at to not have a loss).

Don't say time payments because no one will pay 20% overmarket when places offer time payments on GPA priced books.

Don't say cpr cause you don't know it will go up... You hope but it's not a sure thing. Most if not all books Walt (ICE) sends down are pressed already.

Edited by iceman399

You do realize that you have just a big if not bigger chance of making the tear worse and having a grade drop, right?

Yeah I realize that but the presser I found says he can handle it so I have to trust him with that.

actually you DON'T have to trust him. You WANT to, because it fits your narrative. You've justified it to yourself, very similar to the way a gambler would justify placing another bet that isn't really worth it or the odds don't support. But the logic doesn't hold up.

The roulette wheel has come up red 11 times in a row, I HAD TO BET BLACK on the twelfth time.

The Warriors were up 3-1 in the finals, I had to bet $1000 to make an extra $20

The craps table was so hot and everyone was making so much money and so happy, I HAD to put it all down on a Hard Eight.

BTW, go back to my post on the previous page and show us the math, if you can. If you can't take a class at a junior college, watch youtube lectures, something.

So, you say you're learning. What have you learned?

No offense but you just bought an 8.0 thinking it was an 8.5 and overpaid for it. I don't understand how this can happen when you don't have a large margin for error with your flipping.

I only overpaid 30 dollars for it currently but with the graders notes I'd be able to get a 8.5 max that means that my margin will be razor thin but I'd be able to do it.

You've overpaid by 90$ based on 90 day gpa. Your the same guy that sets up at a con and says :whee: I did 5,000 this weekend and booth fees were only $2500 I made 2500 :banana: but you don't account for everything like product cost, transportation, food, parking, time.

Ok I did overpay for this comic and it was a great deal at 825 but I didn't realize that it would be taxed which was my fault so I'll be more careful next time.

You've been told often enough. Sell them. Ebay, Craigslist, etc

No one is even looking or asking questions about my dollar comics and I can't really go less then a dollar for them

I haven't seen you make a thread here with a list and pics and grades of each book you're selling for a buck.

No offense but you just bought an 8.0 thinking it was an 8.5 and overpaid for it. I don't understand how this can happen when you don't have a large margin for error with your flipping.

I only overpaid 30 dollars for it currently but with the graders notes I'd be able to get a 8.5 max that means that my margin will be razor thin but I'd be able to do it.

What are you talking about?!?! You paid $956 for an 8.0. 90 day average on an 8.0 is $863. You overpaid by almost $93. Your purchase would be bad if you were buying it to keep in your collection. Your purchase is horrible as a book to flip. There is zero profit to be made. Sell it for $900 and take your loss like an adult. But you won't because you know far more about this then all of the people giving you advice. You'd rather spend $100+ on pressing and grading and hold the book for months and then take a $200 or $300 loss. And that's assuming you don't get a popped staple during the press or the book just happens to grade out as a 7.5. Do what you want, but don't kid yourself into thinking you are doing this correctly.

and paid over ANY recent GPA sale.......

and paid for graders notes......

Has the comic store owner specifically told you what we will pay for the 8.0? or for an 8.5? note that they do NOT work off of razor thin margins......... that is almost impossible to do for any business......

Seriously - this latest "mistake" admitted to - is a PATTERN. It shows that you lack the experience to do this now - and also that you potentially will never have the potential to do this in the future.

Your computer crashed - you have a decent windfall - a lower end laptop would have been a GOOD use of that money. Putting that $$ into a high value book that will need luck and more $$$ to possibly break even? - poor decision making for someone who is not independent......

At times I get the impression that the boards should be egging you on instead of trying to save you from yourself. That will accelerate the inevitable crash.

I think this thread has gotten to the point where it is doing more harm than good. I would suggest that the moderators close this thread.

I have to agree with Red here regarding the thread doing more harm than good. I think we've past the point where good advice is going to have any impact whatsoever. Gabe is either too stubborn or too ignorant to take any of this advice onboard, this has been proven over and over.

I'm not saying that he makes these constant mistakes on purpose or for our entertainment, but he must be enjoying the attention to some extent.

I wonder if we all completely stopped posting here what the effect would be. At the very least it would free up the time Gabe spends responding to every post with his insightful, well thought out, rational and coherent replies. This would give him more time to "look" for a job.

I don't enjoy the attention and I never have what I enjoy is getting advice and experience from those that are smarter and better off then I am.

So, why don't you act on the good advice that you're given?

I do act on some of the advice I've been given.

What are you talking about?!?! You paid $956 for an 8.0. 90 day average on an 8.0 is $863. You overpaid by almost $93. Your purchase would be bad if you were buying it to keep in your collection. Your purchase is horrible as a book to flip. There is zero profit to be made. Sell it for $900 and take your loss like an adult. But you won't because you know far more about this then all of the people giving you advice. You'd rather spend $100+ on pressing and grading and hold the book for months and then take a $200 or $300 loss. And that's assuming you don't get a popped staple during the press or the book just happens to grade out as a 7.5. Do what you want, but don't kid yourself into thinking you are doing this correctly.

Yes I do overpay for the comic and that was my fault and no it wasn't the best deal I agree but my presser assured me nothing would happen as he would handle the comic carefully. If you're right I'll admit it but I see this getting a 8.5 with all the pressable defects that it does have and the pressers agreed with me however what turned them off was the staple tear at the top.

Also, here's some unrelated advice. Change your youtube name. You should not use your actual full name as your youtube name. You don't want employers looking you up.

Good point and I've already tried and it's not letting me.

Am I the only one wondering if Gabe bought the ASM 129 off of eBay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-129-CGC-8-5-1ST-Punisher-First-No-reserve-/222219767166

This one would explain the 8.5/8.0 confusion and the price paid, as opposed to the glossed over questions regarding the icomiCExchange copy.

I did look at that comic yes

At this point it just sounds like someone w a gambling addiction

Yep. Exactly.

It's an addiction. He CAN'T stop himself.

He doesn't have the self-control to take the ONLY bit of advice that is nearly unanimous from dozens of longtime experts and professionals in the field for the past year or more in this thread.

Comics are his crack. They are his craps table. He is addicted to the possibility of finding that next big score - exactly how a gambler is addicted to the next round of betting.

He hasn't hit rock bottom yet, he might in a year or two. But he's not there yet. So downward he goes continuing to dig ignoring everyone who's telling him to stop digging.

I continue because I know I can fix this.

3 years and $1100 in the hole is not halfway decent and you continue to make mistakes.

No matter what anyone says you will not stop trying to flip books correct? If that's the case the best advice I can give you is to stop going after high 3 figure books or low 4 figure books. Even though there might be greater reward, there is greater risk and frankly you cannot afford to waste time/ money to potentially squeeze a tiny profit on a $1000 book, especially considering your margin for error is razor thin right now. There are a lot of books you can buy for $100 or less and make a profit on them if you're willing to grind it out and work at it. It's better to make a mistake on a $20 book than on a $900 book.

Work at this, build slowly and eventually you'll be able to go after the higher dollar books and absorb potential mistakes. Keep climbing the ladder and do it step by step.

ok, so you've done a full analysis of the costs involved with pressing, including shipping back and forth, grading, insurance, translation fees, any custom or border fees.

And OF course you've calculated some EDUCATED estimated probabilities of receiving a 8.5, 8.0, and 7.5.

And OF course you've calculated some CONSERVATIVE expected realized values per grade upon selling, after selling fees, translation, shipping, insurance, customs duties, and taxes.

And with this information, you've OBVIOUSLY used the probabilities and expected values to calculated a reasonable conservative expected value of return WITH PRESSING, and one WITHOUT PRESSING. And obviously, you've determined that its more worth it through all this math that PRESSING and RESUB is worth it.

Not that you owe an explanation to anyone, but IF you could do this calculation and show your work and estimates and assumptions, I think most of us would be much more supportive. And if you don't know what I'm talking about or can't do the math, there is literally ZERO chance YOU will ever be successful in buying and selling comics, and certainly not with this comic. (Which is not to say every successful dealer can do this kind of math, but those dealers are at least smart enough to buy with such obviously large margins that the math is somewhat moot.)

I can do that math but I would have to get back to you on that because that would require me to think things through but I will show my work.

I hope that ASM129 comes back 9.0 then what will everyone say

That would be a good thing, but what if it comes back a 7.5? You know as well as anyone else who flips that you need to have that margin for error built into your business model.

That would be a good thing, but what if it comes back a 7.5? You know as well as anyone else who flips that you need to have that margin for error built into your business model.

As fun as it would be Hector let's be real with Gabe.

Back to basics Gabe with dollar books . Have you ever done a comic sale at your house (yard sale)? Have you ever listed them on Kijiji what sets and issues you have? Have you thought about a Facebook page where you can post the lots etc? Have you thought about setting up at a toy/comic show where a table only costs $50? You really need to stop looking for the grand slam and making 300$ and work at landing a single.

At this point it just sounds like someone w a gambling addiction

Yep. Exactly.

It's an addiction. He CAN'T stop himself.

He doesn't have the self-control to take the ONLY bit of advice that is nearly unanimous from dozens of longtime experts and professionals in the field for the past year or more in this thread.

Comics are his crack. They are his craps table. He is addicted to the possibility of finding that next big score - exactly how a gambler is addicted to the next round of betting.

He hasn't hit rock bottom yet, he might in a year or two. But he's not there yet. So downward he goes continuing to dig ignoring everyone who's telling him to stop digging.

I continue because I know I can fix this.

3 years and $1100 in the hole is not halfway decent and you continue to make mistakes.

No matter what anyone says you will not stop trying to flip books correct? If that's the case the best advice I can give you is to stop going after high 3 figure books or low 4 figure books. Even though there might be greater reward, there is greater risk and frankly you cannot afford to waste time/ money to potentially squeeze a tiny profit on a $1000 book, especially considering your margin for error is razor thin right now. There are a lot of books you can buy for $100 or less and make a profit on them if you're willing to grind it out and work at it. It's better to make a mistake on a $20 book than on a $900 book.

Work at this, build slowly and eventually you'll be able to go after the higher dollar books and absorb potential mistakes. Keep climbing the ladder and do it step by step.

It was going fine until I got scammed twice and I should have known better but I didn't I learned from it but I'm paying for the mistakes I've made. I agree with the risk being higher as the comics become more valuable but if I found comics that I can easily flip that I smaller I would do that as I've only done it a handful of times before.

Gabe - you wouldn't try to sell sand in a desert would you? You have to know your market and flipping books from Canada seems like you are fighting an up-hill battle since shipping cost are higher, import fees get in the way of some deals and so forth. There are some successful Canadian book dealers on the boards and in general but I'd think they would agree it's a lot tougher then flipping books from the States.

You live near the Falls, right? Can't you get a job working at a shop on Lundy Lane or selling maple to the tourists?

What is the margin of error percentage?

What is the margin of error percentage?

Things don't always turn out the way you want so always factor in the negatives when making a deal. Buying one slab in the hopes of doing a press and flip when you have high shipping cost and expenses is a receipt for disaster. Now if you had 10 raw $100 books that could press up to be $300 if you get lucky then the margin of error would be in your favor since you only need a few to hit the 9.8 to make some good money. All of your eggs in one big basket gives you no option but to be right all the time which none of us are.

8 8