• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

I hope that ASM129 comes back 9.0 then what will everyone say

That would be a good thing, but what if it comes back a 7.5? You know as well as anyone else who flips that you need to have that margin for error built into your business model.

What is the margin of error percentage?

The margin of error is lets say you're buying a book for $100 and you submit it thinking it has a good shot at a 9.8 which will then be worth $300. Look up what that book goes for in 9.6 or potentially 9.4. Maybe at 9.6 you break even and at 9.4 it will be a small loss. If you've subbed enough books you start to get a general idea of what CGC is looking for in certain grades, so you have to develop your grading eye so you have some sort of confidence that a book will come back in the grade range you believe it to be.

There's nothing wrong with taking a gamble now and then as long as you can afford to do so, but you should always try to mitigate your losses, especially now as you're trying to build up your cash.

I like the way you laid it out and I do think that way sometimes but not often.

You need to think that way all the time right now. Grind it out, build your cash up and eventually you will be able to take risks on bigger books. Always think about building your cash up, you will take some losses, that happens to everyone, but you want to minimize them as much as possible.

To be honest I don't know how to begin with finding 100 dollar comics I remember the comics that I do because they are key issues and in mist cases easier to flip.

On this forum alone there are threads discussing "hot" books in both the Copper and Bronze sections. Take some of that information and start looking on eBay, other web retailers or scour the local LCS's. Most of the guys I personally know have to hustle a little to find books, they're not just going to drop out of the sky.

To be successful at this you're going to have to work at it. I think there are a lot of people here who are willing to share information and knowledge, but no one wants to hold your hand. Do your research, do your work, build slowly within your means.

I didn't think it was possible to lose $1,000 in selling books. You may not make a fortune but there are enough deals floating around the sales thread any given week you should be able to make money each week (as long as Hector is not around to grab them first)

That would be a good thing, but what if it comes back a 7.5? You know as well as anyone else who flips that you need to have that margin for error built into your business model.

The margin of error is lets say you're buying a book for $100 and you submit it thinking it has a good shot at a 9.8 which will then be worth $300. Look up what that book goes for in 9.6 or potentially 9.4. Maybe at 9.6 you break even and at 9.4 it will be a small loss. If you've subbed enough books you start to get a general idea of what CGC is looking for in certain grades, so you have to develop your grading eye so you have some sort of confidence that a book will come back in the grade range you believe it to be.

There's nothing wrong with taking a gamble now and then as long as you can afford to do so, but you should always try to mitigate your losses, especially now as you're trying to build up your cash.

You need to think that way all the time right now. Grind it out, build your cash up and eventually you will be able to take risks on bigger books. Always think about building your cash up, you will take some losses, that happens to everyone, but you want to minimize them as much as possible.

To be honest I don't know how to begin with finding 100 dollar comics I remember the comics that I do because they are key issues and in mist cases easier to flip.

On this forum alone there are threads discussing "hot" books in both the Copper and Bronze sections. Take some of that information and start looking on eBay, other web retailers or scour the local LCS's. Most of the guys I personally know have to hustle a little to find books, they're not just going to drop out of the sky.

To be successful at this you're going to have to work at it. I think there are a lot of people here who are willing to share information and knowledge, but no one wants to hold your hand. Do your research, do your work, build slowly within your means.

I checked and I was overwhelmed by how much info there was do you how any tips?

I didn't think it was possible to lose $1,000 in selling books. You may not make a fortune but there are enough deals floating around the sales thread any given week you should be able to make money each week (as long as Hector is not around to grab them first)

The 1100 is me being scammed twice and what I overpaid in comics I paid off not too long ago except for the recent asm 129 mistake.

All the comic buying/selling/trading shenanigans aside, here's one part I can't get past.

The OP keeps saying that he wants to get a job that offers more hours, yet he has a job.

When I managed a restaurant, I never gave hours to anyone...employees earned their hours.

My superstars...the ones that went above and beyond by either covering a last minute call-off, cleaning in between other jobs, or just having great attitudes were the ones I took care of. I always made sure they had the hours they were looking for. I couldn't do my job well without them.

Even the people a step down from my superstars...the people that were always on time for their shift, who followed directions well, and had good attitudes were sure to get 30-40 hours a week depending on their needs. I'd work with them because they made my life easier.

But the bums...the ones that showed up late for shifts, never covered a shift outside of their schedule, people with bad attitudes who obviously took no pride in what they did, these people would generally get 15 hours or less. Even the people who were good at a specific job but had poor attitudes, they are bums to me. I'd take an unskilled hard-worker over a skilled diva with a poor attitude any day.

What I'm saying to the OP is that if you're not getting enough hours at work, it's nobody's fault but yours.

Do a self-assessment:

• Are you there early every day? No exceptions? Remember, if you're "on-time", you're late. Be 5 minutes early for every shift.
  • Is your uniform clean, nails clean and trimmed, hair washed, combed and out of the way? I don't care if you work in the back, you need to look presentable at work at all times.
  • Check your attitude. When you're assigned a job, do you grumble and meander over to it, or is your response a peppy "sure thing!" with physical enthusiasm to match?
  • What are you doing during slow times? If you're a dishwasher, what do you do between trays of dishes to be done? Is your station spotless? If not, clean it. If the area is perfect, grab something like a pot or a board and give it a deep cleaning. Make it like new again. Things like this is restaurants get dingy after time. A little elbow grease goes a long way.
  • Are you smiling? I don't care if you hate the job. SMILE! It goes a LOOOOOONG way.

First off I don't smiled if I don't like something I don't fake my feelings. I was always there about 30 minutes early, my hygiene was so-so when I came to facial hair, I was eager to help others and I had a good attitude until you pissed me off. Everything was so busy there's not really anytime for anything else.

Smiling isn't a feeling. It's a physical expression. You can not like something and still smile. It's a skill, and a useful one if you want to move up in any job/career. I can't think of a single job out there where you're not going to have to put up with something/someone you don't especially like. It doesn't mean you have to grimace your way through it. If nothing else, consider it a form of training for voice acting. Your character's emotion won't always match up with your personal emotion. Despite what you're feeling inside, you need to be able to convey a positive outward appearance.

And having a good attitude "until you pissed me off"? Give me a break. A while back in this thread, before you found your current job, people were telling you that in an entry-level position you don't have the luxury of being "pissed off" if you want to succeed. You take your lumps and use your dissatisfaction with the job as motivation to improve to eventually EARN your way to a better position. Remember that bosses don't give more hours/promotions/raises...employees EARN them. When you stop trying to blame your boss and realize that you hold all the cards when it comes to improving yourself, you will vastly improve your station.

As far as it being so busy that you don't have time for anything else, make time! Go above and beyond. Tell yourself "I'm going to wash these dishes so fast that I'll have 10 minutes at the end of the night to deep scrub that pot until I can see myself in it". Wow your boss.

And if your hygiene was only "so-so" in any area and you work in a restaurant, that needs to be addressed IMMEDIATELY. In my experience, customers will give you a second chance if the service is bad or the food isn't perfect, but they will never come back if they think the restaurant or the people who worked it were dirty.

Re-read what I bulleted in my previous post. These aren't things where you can do them part-way. You're either doing them or you're not. Comics won't break the cycle of poverty you claim to be in, but your job might. It will take a lot of effort on your part, though.

Voice acting is something that I haven't fully done yet. Well my hygiene was really my fingers nail and facial hair and yeah that needs to improve. I had a couple times where I finished before I was supposed to and that felt good and I did that a few times and I tried to ask my boss for different hours and she cut them that was a nice thanks I got.

I'm not sure what you mean "haven't fully done yet". (shrug)

If it's a passion of yours, you should be practicing constantly. If you like video games so much, try your best to imitate the voices in the games you hear. You don't need to be taught by a professional be to good at something. There are plenty of people who succeed because their passion carries them through endless practice. Don't wait for lessons. Just practice.

And if you recognize your hygiene isn't where it needs to be to meet the minimum standards for your job, FIX IT!!! To clean and cut your fingernails takes, what, 2-3 minutes if you want to be thorough. And if your facial hair isn't neat and trimmed, you should be clean-shaven. ESPECIALLY if you're marketing yourself for future employment. I've had people with scraggily facial hair hand an application to me and ask if I'm interviewing. I would take their application, look them square in the eye and ask: "are you willing to shave your beard/mustache"? The question often catches people by surprise and I often get an honest look into who they really are instead of them being on their best behavior temporarily.

If they say yes without hesitating, I know they are serious and I give them an interview. If they say no, I tell them that we'll let them know if we have any openings. They don't get called back. To be clear, neat facial hair is fine.

Bottom line: hygiene is non-negotiable. If you are admitting that there are some basic things you need to do to improve, do them before you leave the house next. There is absolutely no excuse not to.

Regarding your hours, you should be thankful for every hour you get to be clocked in. If you finally got done ahead of schedule only to go over to your boss to ask for different hours, why would she do anything but cut them? What was wrong with the hours you were getting?

You should have been finishing early and then approaching your boss and asking if there was anything else she'd like you working on. Do that enough times and you'll find you'll have any hours you want. Guaranteed!

And for the last time, in your position, your paycheck is your thanks. Yes, a good manager will take the time to show appreciation for a job well done, but it's certainly not required. Stop expecting any type of thanks at your job. It seems to be a pattern.

To be frank, you seem to be a below-average employee (based solely on information gathered from this thread) with a lot of physical and emotional limitations and you expect your bosses to kiss your feet the second you do a single job well.

Do all your jobs well with clean nails, neat (or no) facial hair, and a smile on your face and the thanks you're looking for will come. Not sooner.

All the comic buying/selling/trading shenanigans aside, here's one part I can't get past.

The OP keeps saying that he wants to get a job that offers more hours, yet he has a job.

When I managed a restaurant, I never gave hours to anyone...employees earned their hours.

My superstars...the ones that went above and beyond by either covering a last minute call-off, cleaning in between other jobs, or just having great attitudes were the ones I took care of. I always made sure they had the hours they were looking for. I couldn't do my job well without them.

Even the people a step down from my superstars...the people that were always on time for their shift, who followed directions well, and had good attitudes were sure to get 30-40 hours a week depending on their needs. I'd work with them because they made my life easier.

But the bums...the ones that showed up late for shifts, never covered a shift outside of their schedule, people with bad attitudes who obviously took no pride in what they did, these people would generally get 15 hours or less. Even the people who were good at a specific job but had poor attitudes, they are bums to me. I'd take an unskilled hard-worker over a skilled diva with a poor attitude any day.

What I'm saying to the OP is that if you're not getting enough hours at work, it's nobody's fault but yours.

Do a self-assessment:

• Are you there early every day? No exceptions? Remember, if you're "on-time", you're late. Be 5 minutes early for every shift.
  • Is your uniform clean, nails clean and trimmed, hair washed, combed and out of the way? I don't care if you work in the back, you need to look presentable at work at all times.
  • Check your attitude. When you're assigned a job, do you grumble and meander over to it, or is your response a peppy "sure thing!" with physical enthusiasm to match?
  • What are you doing during slow times? If you're a dishwasher, what do you do between trays of dishes to be done? Is your station spotless? If not, clean it. If the area is perfect, grab something like a pot or a board and give it a deep cleaning. Make it like new again. Things like this is restaurants get dingy after time. A little elbow grease goes a long way.
  • Are you smiling? I don't care if you hate the job. SMILE! It goes a LOOOOOONG way.

Supposedly, the OP says he "wants" another income, but apparently just not - ya' know... a JOB.

Jobs get in the way of his super-valuable sleep/game/money-losing-comic-addiction time.

Maybe he does want a second job (like everyone's been telling him to get) but he doesn't want a job nearly as much as he wants to regularly pay full-market-value for comicbooks that cost more than his monthly rent.

He kinda sorta a little bit wants to work (not really though, work is hard n'stuff), and he really doesn't want a SECOND job (ya' know - another income stream) - so instead he just wants buy nearly thousand-dollar books that he doesn't even know what he's buying.

So OP..... what's your next great comic money-pit you're looking at hitching on to? We all know you're nowhere near done buying big yet, and you're clearly still not completely out of money yet ,and we all know you're probably already got an idea of your next "big score", so.... do tell. It's most interesting.

A second job is not something I'm comfortable with managing and please don't give me this "hard work n stuff" bull. I worked hard for my previous job lifting groceries for other people in all kinds of weather some things over 50 pounds and do you know what my boss told me when I said I couldn't handle lifting anymore? Go find another job. So that was the thanks I got for working my off for him? Never again.

I have to give you credit. You reply to everybody and you keep coming back for more.

God, if your definition of a tough job is lifting groceries you're clearly not a motivated, hard worker. You seriously think that's a tough job?

For me lifting was hard since I didn't have the strength to keep doing it for hours and no it's not the hardest job in the world but to me physically I found it hard as I have a bad back. You'll probably think I'm making this all up just to have people's pity right? WRONG if I only had one wish in the world it'd be to be perfectly healthy.

Let's look at this recent post:

"First off I don't smiled if I don't like something I don't fake my feelings. I was always there about 30 minutes early, my hygiene was so-so when I came to facial hair, I was eager to help others and I had a good attitude until you pissed me off. Everything was so busy there's not really anytime for anything else."

So an employer gets an employee who can't or won't lift bags of groceries. An employee who won't smile if he doesn't want to and who's attitude goes bad once he's mad. An employee with so-so hygiene - in other words an employee who doesn't look clean. An employee with a learning disability. The only positive attribute is that you come in early so that the employer has to deal with you longer.

Face it tiger, there isn't an employer in the galaxy who would want to hire you after reading your post. And if he did hire you he would soon start to cut your hours because all you're gonna do is drive away customers and complain that you can't do the job you applied for.

You're the man with a thousand excuses and you can't see or admit that your attitude is the problem. I wish you luck but luck isn't enough.

Tips on what, books? Or tips on how to organize information?

Wow...:facepalm: Either you didn't read what was written or you are just really lazy.

Wow...:facepalm: Either you didn't read what was written or you are just really lazy.

If only someone here would provide some tips or some advice.

Or an abstract of the thread so that it's a quicker read. Making money is really difficult so some quick one-liners or bullet points would be great. Don't really have time for stuff like details...

I'm trying. I figure since he's not going to stop flipping, ( though many believe that's the best course of action right now ) I might as well try to impart some basic stuff to help him in the right direction.

What about this whole experience has you saying you are good or getting better at selling books? If I was you I'd be inclined to say I hate selling books and not like it in the least. Just curious why you think you have talent in this portion of the business world?

Don't give him any of that "hard work n stuff" bull !! :sumo:

Can't you just give him $1200 for his ASM129 8.5 and quit overwhelming him with advice? :insane:

Geez. :makepoint:

Or an abstract of the thread so that it's a quicker read. Making money is really difficult so some quick one-liners or bullet points would be great. Don't really have time for stuff like details...

I will give you an abstract:

24 year-old lives at home with his parents. He claims to have a learning disability and health issues. He collects government assistance. He can't hold a job bagging groceries and blames it on the aforementioned problems with mind and body. He also apparently struggles with even the most basic forms of hygiene, such as trimming nails and facial hair. He can't seem to form even a basic grasp of the comic business, yet insists upon spending what little money he has on bad deals. To make things worse, he has recently gotten a credit card. He makes the most convoluted, ridiculous deals that you can imagine and always seems to screw things up. People here have given top-notch advice over the last several months (or more) and he continues to ignore everyone. He is the single-most helpless SOB that I've ever encountered. At first, it was easy to feel sorry for him. But not anymore. You can lead a horse to the water, but you can't force one to drink.

Details are a big part of this business.

If you cannot be bothered with them or don't have the time for them, therein lies the problem

This is not a good business for you. Sorry but that's the truth

I think we can all agree that if you WANT something bad enough, you don't need anything else, even if you don't have the right talent, knowledge, experience, education, work ethic, resources, geographic location, family, and/or related skill set. The only thing you need is the willingness to blindly throw money at the situation without doing math or research and the ability to ignore the well-meaning advice of literally every single person who is more successful than you at your desired activity.

I think in business school they taught us that Warren Buffet made all his money that way. Same with Wayne Gretzky or Sidney Crosby (Candians!). They came out of the womb, sat around for 20 years playing video games, watching hockey and thinking they'd be voice actors, but since they saw how much money other people made playing hockey and how much fun other hockey players were having, they decided to go to be NHL superstars instead. They didn't even need to take time to learn to skate forwards and backwards or stop, they just figured they'd learn from the best at the NHL level by trial and error. In fact, I think that's how most hockey legends get their start, they just start scoring NHL goals even though they can't skate with a stick.

You should be learning to skate, but instead you're getting blasted in the face by the Sedin twins (not as fun as it sounds).

And make no mistake, if you're buying $1,000 comic books, you're in the top elite level of comic people. I know it seems like there's tons of people who do that based on what you see here on the boards and auction sites, but the truth is that people who are WILLING and ABLE to buy $1,000 comics are actually quite rare. I would bet that the vast majority of people in the larger world comic community who make more than $100,000 per year at a stable job have not bought more than a $1K comic in their lifetime. It is a lot to spend on a hobby, even one where there is occasionally some money to be made. You're not ready for it.

Another thing, it sounds like you're getting 'easy comic to sell' confused with 'easy comic to SELL FOR LARGE PROFIT'. Yes 'hot' comics should be easier to sell, but they're also much less likely to be bought for a price where there's profit to be made. Do you actually see the distinction?

Would you rather buy? ten $1 comics you can sell for $10 each?

Or one $900 comic you can sell for $1,000?

Which one and why? Feel free to show your work.

Or take a business class. Or take multiple business classes. You said you took one already, did you master it? Why do people even take them anyways? I bet Darth Vader never took a business class and he was second in command of the whole Empire.

Edited by Revat

24 year-old lives at home with his parents. He claims to have a learning disability and health issues. He collects government assistance. He can't hold a job bagging groceries and blames it on the aforementioned problems with mind and body. He also apparently struggles with even the most basic forms of hygiene, such as trimming nails and facial hair. He can't seem to form even a basic grasp of the comic business, yet insists upon spending what little money he has on bad deals. To make things worse, he has recently gotten a credit card. He makes the most convoluted, ridiculous deals that you can imagine and always seems to screw things up. People here have given top-notch advice over the last several months (or more) and he continues to ignore everyone. He is the single-most helpless SOB that I've ever encountered. At first, it was easy to feel sorry for him. But not anymore. You can lead a horse to the water, but you can't force one to drink.

:D Awesome.

Now how about one about one for the "Moderns that are heating up" thread or the threads about "hot" Copper and Bronze books, because the OP doesn't have time to read up on that due to how overwhelming it is.

:D Awesome.

Now how about one about one for the "Moderns that are heating up" thread or the threads about "hot" Copper and Bronze books, because the OP doesn't have time to read up on that due to how overwhelming it is.

Actually, it totally can be overwhelming, and its good to acknowledge how vast and diverse the market is, and how much information one needs to sift through. BUT most rational people, upon such acknowledgement, would pull back and try to learn about a more manageable (informationally and financially) comic area. Of course, its clear now we're not dealing with 'most' rational people.

Details are a big part of this business.

If you cannot be bothered with them or don't have the time for them, therein lies the problem

This is not a good business for you. Sorry but that's the truth

I think we can all agree that if you WANT something bad enough, you don't need anything else, even if you don't have the right talent, knowledge, experience, education, work ethic, resources, geographic location, family, and/or related skill set. The only thing you need is the willingness to blindly throw money at the situation without doing math or research and the ability to ignore the well-meaning advice of literally every single person who is more successful than you at your desired activity.

I think in business school they taught us that Warren Buffet made all his money that way. Same with Wayne Gretzky or Sidney Crosby (Candians!). They came out of the womb, sat around for 20 years playing video games, watching hockey and thinking they'd be voice actors, but since they saw how much money other people made playing hockey and how much fun other hockey players were having, they decided to go to be NHL superstars instead. They didn't even need to take time to learn to skate forwards and backwards or stop, they just figured they'd learn from the best at the NHL level by trial and error. In fact, I think that's how most hockey legends get their start, they just start scoring NHL goals even though they can't skate with a stick.

You should be learning to skate, but instead you're getting blasted in the face by the Sedin twins (not as fun as it sounds).

And make no mistake, if you're buying $1,000 comic books, you're in the top elite level of comic people. I know it seems like there's tons of people who do that based on what you see here on the boards and auction sites, but the truth is that people who are WILLING and ABLE to buy $1,000 comics are actually quite rare. I would bet that the vast majority of people in the larger world comic community who make more than $100,000 per year at a stable job have not bought more than a $1K comic in their lifetime. It is a lot to spend on a hobby, even one where there is occasionally some money to be made. You're not ready for it.

Another thing, it sounds like you're getting 'easy comic to sell' confused with 'easy comic to SELL FOR LARGE PROFIT'. Yes 'hot' comics should be easier to sell, but they're also much less likely to be bought for a price where there's profit to be made. Do you actually see the distinction?

Would you rather buy? ten $1 comics you can sell for $10 each?

Or one $900 comic you can sell for $1,000?

Which one and why? Feel free to show your work.

Or take a business class. Or take multiple business classes. You said you took one already, did you master it? Why do people even take them anyways? I bet Darth Vader never took a business class and he was second in command of the whole Empire.

I'm not sure if this advice is for me or Gabe

hm

:banana:

8 8