• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Or an abstract of the thread so that it's a quicker read. Making money is really difficult so some quick one-liners or bullet points would be great. Don't really have time for stuff like details...

I will give you an abstract:

24 year-old lives at home with his parents. He claims to have a learning disability and health issues. He collects government assistance. He can't hold a job bagging groceries and blames it on the aforementioned problems with mind and body. He also apparently struggles with even the most basic forms of hygiene, such as trimming nails and facial hair. He can't seem to form even a basic grasp of the comic business, yet insists upon spending what little money he has on bad deals. To make things worse, he has recently gotten a credit card. He makes the most convoluted, ridiculous deals that you can imagine and always seems to screw things up. People here have given top-notch advice over the last several months (or more) and he continues to ignore everyone. He is the single-most helpless SOB that I've ever encountered. At first, it was easy to feel sorry for him. But not anymore. You can lead a horse to the water, but you can't force one to drink.

First off I do have a learning disability and health problems, Second I'm not on assistance anymore how many times do I need to say that? Yes I make lots of mistakes and whether you believe I'm learning from them is up to you. If you really think I'm this terrible why are you still here?

Edited by uchiha101

I didn't think it was possible to lose $1,000 in selling books. You may not make a fortune but there are enough deals floating around the sales thread any given week you should be able to make money each week (as long as Hector is not around to grab them first)

For me it was because my mistakes were overpaying for these comics and the fact that I got scammed three times led me to the situation I'm in now but I'll keep my eyes on the sales threads.

You've been doing that for years, your youtube videos prove it. Time after time after time you say in your videos ("I overpaid for this but...")

Years of making the same mistake, over and over and over - and not just with $5-$10 books but with $100-$1000 books. That's insane that you just keep making the same simple mistake over and over and over again.

The very very basic and simple concept of RESEARCHING comicbook values and prices before buying appears to be beyond your ability!

Either that, or you just completely lack any self-control whatsoever and your addiction takes over and STEP #1 of buying comics just goes right out the window. AND the fact that you keep blaming others for your predicament (you didn't "get scammed", you sought out and ALLOWED yourself to get scammed in venues where otherwise-knowledgeable people would know scammers operate and have the advantage. You blame others for your own ignorance.)

THAT is why so many professional dealers here and sellers with years and decades of experience here have been telling you to STOP BUYING AND SELLING COMICS.

Because you can't even do Step #1 consistently even after YEARS of doing this.

Or an abstract of the thread so that it's a quicker read. Making money is really difficult so some quick one-liners or bullet points would be great. Don't really have time for stuff like details...

24 year-old lives at home with his parents. He claims to have a learning disability and health issues. He collects government assistance. He can't hold a job bagging groceries and blames it on the aforementioned problems with mind and body. He also apparently struggles with even the most basic forms of hygiene, such as trimming nails and facial hair. He can't seem to form even a basic grasp of the comic business, yet insists upon spending what little money he has on bad deals. To make things worse, he has recently gotten a credit card. He makes the most convoluted, ridiculous deals that you can imagine and always seems to screw things up. People here have given top-notch advice over the last several months (or more) and he continues to ignore everyone. He is the single-most helpless SOB that I've ever encountered. At first, it was easy to feel sorry for him. But not anymore. You can lead a horse to the water, but you can't force one to drink.

:D Awesome.

Now how about one about one for the "Moderns that are heating up" thread or the threads about "hot" Copper and Bronze books, because the OP doesn't have time to read up on that due to how overwhelming it is.

I never said I don't have time to read it I said that it overwhelms me as that's part of my learning disability. If you think you can memorize over 200 different posts go for it but I know I can't.

Edited by uchiha101

Details are a big part of this business.

If you cannot be bothered with them or don't have the time for them, therein lies the problem

This is not a good business for you. Sorry but that's the truth

I think we can all agree that if you WANT something bad enough, you don't need anything else, even if you don't have the right talent, knowledge, experience, education, work ethic, resources, geographic location, family, and/or related skill set. The only thing you need is the willingness to blindly throw money at the situation without doing math or research and the ability to ignore the well-meaning advice of literally every single person who is more successful than you at your desired activity.

I think in business school they taught us that Warren Buffet made all his money that way. Same with Wayne Gretzky or Sidney Crosby (Candians!). They came out of the womb, sat around for 20 years playing video games, watching hockey and thinking they'd be voice actors, but since they saw how much money other people made playing hockey and how much fun other hockey players were having, they decided to go to be NHL superstars instead. They didn't even need to take time to learn to skate forwards and backwards or stop, they just figured they'd learn from the best at the NHL level by trial and error. In fact, I think that's how most hockey legends get their start, they just start scoring NHL goals even though they can't skate with a stick.

You should be learning to skate, but instead you're getting blasted in the face by the Sedin twins (not as fun as it sounds).

And make no mistake, if you're buying $1,000 comic books, you're in the top elite level of comic people. I know it seems like there's tons of people who do that based on what you see here on the boards and auction sites, but the truth is that people who are WILLING and ABLE to buy $1,000 comics are actually quite rare. I would bet that the vast majority of people in the larger world comic community who make more than $100,000 per year at a stable job have not bought more than a $1K comic in their lifetime. It is a lot to spend on a hobby, even one where there is occasionally some money to be made. You're not ready for it.

Another thing, it sounds like you're getting 'easy comic to sell' confused with 'easy comic to SELL FOR LARGE PROFIT'. Yes 'hot' comics should be easier to sell, but they're also much less likely to be bought for a price where there's profit to be made. Do you actually see the distinction?

Would you rather buy? ten $1 comics you can sell for $10 each?

Or one $900 comic you can sell for $1,000?

Which one and why? Feel free to show your work.

Or take a business class. Or take multiple business classes. You said you took one already, did you master it? Why do people even take them anyways? I bet Darth Vader never took a business class and he was second in command of the whole Empire.

I never said I don't have to work towards my goal and I didn't realize buying a 1k book meant that much I'm so used to people buying high end stuff I didn't even realize that. When I think of a easy to sell comic I think of a key issue people are willing to buy quickly and a hot comic is something people are willing to buy for speculation reasons and sell it quickly or slowly depending on the situation.

:D Awesome.

Now how about one about one for the "Moderns that are heating up" thread or the threads about "hot" Copper and Bronze books, because the OP doesn't have time to read up on that due to how overwhelming it is.

Actually, it totally can be overwhelming, and its good to acknowledge how vast and diverse the market is, and how much information one needs to sift through. BUT most rational people, upon such acknowledgement, would pull back and try to learn about a more manageable (informationally and financially) comic area. Of course, its clear now we're not dealing with 'most' rational people.

Still working on my rational side.

Details are a big part of this business.

If you cannot be bothered with them or don't have the time for them, therein lies the problem

This is not a good business for you. Sorry but that's the truth

I think we can all agree that if you WANT something bad enough, you don't need anything else, even if you don't have the right talent, knowledge, experience, education, work ethic, resources, geographic location, family, and/or related skill set. The only thing you need is the willingness to blindly throw money at the situation without doing math or research and the ability to ignore the well-meaning advice of literally every single person who is more successful than you at your desired activity.

I think in business school they taught us that Warren Buffet made all his money that way. Same with Wayne Gretzky or Sidney Crosby (Candians!). They came out of the womb, sat around for 20 years playing video games, watching hockey and thinking they'd be voice actors, but since they saw how much money other people made playing hockey and how much fun other hockey players were having, they decided to go to be NHL superstars instead. They didn't even need to take time to learn to skate forwards and backwards or stop, they just figured they'd learn from the best at the NHL level by trial and error. In fact, I think that's how most hockey legends get their start, they just start scoring NHL goals even though they can't skate with a stick.

You should be learning to skate, but instead you're getting blasted in the face by the Sedin twins (not as fun as it sounds).

And make no mistake, if you're buying $1,000 comic books, you're in the top elite level of comic people. I know it seems like there's tons of people who do that based on what you see here on the boards and auction sites, but the truth is that people who are WILLING and ABLE to buy $1,000 comics are actually quite rare. I would bet that the vast majority of people in the larger world comic community who make more than $100,000 per year at a stable job have not bought more than a $1K comic in their lifetime. It is a lot to spend on a hobby, even one where there is occasionally some money to be made. You're not ready for it.

Another thing, it sounds like you're getting 'easy comic to sell' confused with 'easy comic to SELL FOR LARGE PROFIT'. Yes 'hot' comics should be easier to sell, but they're also much less likely to be bought for a price where there's profit to be made. Do you actually see the distinction?

Would you rather buy? ten $1 comics you can sell for $10 each?

Or one $900 comic you can sell for $1,000?

Which one and why? Feel free to show your work.

Or take a business class. Or take multiple business classes. You said you took one already, did you master it? Why do people even take them anyways? I bet Darth Vader never took a business class and he was second in command of the whole Empire.

I'm not sure if this advice is for me or Gabe

hm

:banana:

It's obviously me. You are smart.

I agree. There is a lot of information in the other threads, both good information and some misinformation. It will serve the OP some good if he spent more time appreciating the hobby and reading up on it some more before trying to prove to himself that he can be successful in something. Unfortunately, his impatience will continue to hurt him.

What should I read up on?

Listen Gabe, if you don't have the capital to be a dealer, then perhaps you can accommodate your life style preferences and love of comics by being a broker - a middleman - a matchmaker.

The cgc registry is a potential gift to anyone willing to work hard. Registry guys, those who go public with their holdings, are what salesmen call motivated buyers. They are telling you what they want, what they have, and what they like (in terms of grade). You can pull up targeted info on the biggest players like the top 100, or just the guys who collect particular titles. You can reach out and talk to them directly through the boards. In sales, this kind of information and direct access is pure gold and it is amazing that it can be had for almost nothing.

Find a need and fill it, Gabe. Locate the books people need and then ask them if they'd buy so and so at price X. If they say yes they would, get that book. If they say yes and you can't afford to buy the book, tell them where they can get it and mention you'd be very grateful for a 2% or 5% or whatever finder's fee. Or $50. Or whatever.

Nobody utilizes the registry in this way. When I have a book to sell, I check the registry first - my hit ratio is maybe 1 out of 4. Guys are amazed to hear from someone through the registry pm. They are usually grateful that someone is trying to help them accomplish their registry goals, even if they don't want what's being offered.

Live your life the way you want. Don't shave, don't bathe, let your fingernails grow like Fu Manchu - it doesn't matter. No girlfriend? Good. Just sit in front of the computer and search to connect the dots for people and their collections. You have a membership to CGC and internet access? Then all it takes is time and effort.

There are too many books out there - that's a problem today that didn't exist 10 years ago. I don't have the time every morning to check Ebay, ComicLink, ComicConnect, Worldwide's site, and all the other dealers who list their inventory for what's new. No one who has a life, has a job, has a family, has friends, has the time. But listen, kid - for better or worse, you don't really have these commitments. So turn that into an asset. Deal in information and see if you can make it pay.

Good luck, kid.

Great advice for a rational comic seller. Very insightful for someone who knows what they're doing.

However... it is TERRIBLE advice for a learning-disabled, poorly-motivated and virtually ineducable spending-addict who constantly overpays for books and doesn't even know what grade he's buying even when it says so right on the top of the case!!!

TERRIBLE advice for Gabe - it just feeds his addiction even more.

It's like sending a 5-year old to walk around the streets of downtown New York with a wad of $100 bills in his hand and have him go look for a Rolex watch to buy for you while you wait up in a hotel room for him to come back.

doh!

ok, so you've done a full analysis of the costs involved with pressing, including shipping back and forth, grading, insurance, translation fees, any custom or border fees.

And OF course you've calculated some EDUCATED estimated probabilities of receiving a 8.5, 8.0, and 7.5.

And OF course you've calculated some CONSERVATIVE expected realized values per grade upon selling, after selling fees, translation, shipping, insurance, customs duties, and taxes.

And with this information, you've OBVIOUSLY used the probabilities and expected values to calculated a reasonable conservative expected value of return WITH PRESSING, and one WITHOUT PRESSING. And obviously, you've determined that its more worth it through all this math that PRESSING and RESUB is worth it.

Not that you owe an explanation to anyone, but IF you could do this calculation and show your work and estimates and assumptions, I think most of us would be much more supportive. And if you don't know what I'm talking about or can't do the math, there is literally ZERO chance YOU will ever be successful in buying and selling comics, and certainly not with this comic. (Which is not to say every successful dealer can do this kind of math, but those dealers are at least smart enough to buy with such obviously large margins that the math is somewhat moot.)

to add -- some dealers may not go through this level of math - but successful ones - can use their own experience to evaluate deals....

this is what revat is describing -

total investment is what you paid - plus all pressing fees

Left side - is the estimate as to what will happen when regraded - I think I am being generous since 80% of the pressers you spoke with do not want to touch the book for fear of damage.

sales price is based on GPA - the good thing about this book is that there are enough data points that I can snag 30 day average and year high/low and have a reasonable expectation of accuracy. The percentages in this area are the calculation values - 90% of the time the book will sell for average. 5% high. 5% low.

The weighted profit or loss - takes into account the % you will see this book at that grade after CPR. The final number - is a sum of these and represents the average profit or loss from this transaction.

gpa-asm-129.jpg

So - not taking into account fees (ebay, paypal, HA - whatever) - OR OUTBOUND SHIPPING - trying to CPR this book will cost you an extra $100.

Take the project sale price of 8 - remove the extra 110 for CPR --- and you are $100 better trying to sell raw.

not including seller fees

not including shipping of the sale

Awesome chart but how did you get the occurrence percentage and how much I should get value wise? I don't get that complex with my decisions in buying.

Bare estimate on what the CPR will yield. Based on my experience with identifying pressable books and seeing the outcome first hand. This is a skill that has to be developed over time and HUNDREDS of books ( or more). One that is constantly tested - and refined ( and one that MANY other boardies are better than me at)........

That staple tear - is a huge risk so it is very doubtful that you get any bump - so the low "improvement" numbers. I believe I was kind with the drop numbers - as 4/5 pressers did not want to touch the book for fear of the tear.

Seriously - keep the book - hand onto it for a year. Think of it as a keeper not any form of investment. Hopefully the book will continue to increase in value and you can sell in 12 months for a slight loss or gain.

Thanks for explaining it and since I bought the comic I want to sell it just as quickly not hold onto it as that's a lot of my money being tied up.

ok, so you've done a full analysis of the costs involved with pressing, including shipping back and forth, grading, insurance, translation fees, any custom or border fees.

And OF course you've calculated some EDUCATED estimated probabilities of receiving a 8.5, 8.0, and 7.5.

And OF course you've calculated some CONSERVATIVE expected realized values per grade upon selling, after selling fees, translation, shipping, insurance, customs duties, and taxes.

And with this information, you've OBVIOUSLY used the probabilities and expected values to calculated a reasonable conservative expected value of return WITH PRESSING, and one WITHOUT PRESSING. And obviously, you've determined that its more worth it through all this math that PRESSING and RESUB is worth it.

Not that you owe an explanation to anyone, but IF you could do this calculation and show your work and estimates and assumptions, I think most of us would be much more supportive. And if you don't know what I'm talking about or can't do the math, there is literally ZERO chance YOU will ever be successful in buying and selling comics, and certainly not with this comic. (Which is not to say every successful dealer can do this kind of math, but those dealers are at least smart enough to buy with such obviously large margins that the math is somewhat moot.)

to add -- some dealers may not go through this level of math - but successful ones - can use their own experience to evaluate deals....

this is what revat is describing -

total investment is what you paid - plus all pressing fees

Left side - is the estimate as to what will happen when regraded - I think I am being generous since 80% of the pressers you spoke with do not want to touch the book for fear of damage.

sales price is based on GPA - the good thing about this book is that there are enough data points that I can snag 30 day average and year high/low and have a reasonable expectation of accuracy. The percentages in this area are the calculation values - 90% of the time the book will sell for average. 5% high. 5% low.

The weighted profit or loss - takes into account the % you will see this book at that grade after CPR. The final number - is a sum of these and represents the average profit or loss from this transaction.

gpa-asm-129.jpg

So - not taking into account fees (ebay, paypal, HA - whatever) - OR OUTBOUND SHIPPING - trying to CPR this book will cost you an extra $100.

Take the project sale price of 8 - remove the extra 110 for CPR --- and you are $100 better trying to sell raw.

not including seller fees

not including shipping of the sale

Awesome chart but how did you get the occurrence percentage and how much I should get value wise? I don't get that complex with my decisions in buying.

Bare estimate on what the CPR will yield. Based on my experience with identifying pressable books and seeing the outcome first hand. This is a skill that has to be developed over time and HUNDREDS of books ( or more). One that is constantly tested - and refined ( and one that MANY other boardies are better than me at)........

That staple tear - is a huge risk so it is very doubtful that you get any bump - so the low "improvement" numbers. I believe I was kind with the drop numbers - as 4/5 pressers did not want to touch the book for fear of the tear.

Seriously - keep the book - hand onto it for a year. Think of it as a keeper not any form of investment. Hopefully the book will continue to increase in value and you can sell in 12 months for a slight loss or gain.

the issue is barely what the 'odds' are or aren't, or even whether or not a profit or loss is still possible. The issue that you are/were willing to the pressing/regrade WITHOUT KNOWING THE ODDS OR DOING THE ANALYSIS, and DO NOT HAVE THE RELEVANT SKILLS TO DO THE MATH OR JUDGE THE PRESSABILITY of the comic.

The odds? I knew that if I found the right presser I can bump it up to at least a 8.5 and I did the basic calculations of what to expect.

I hope that ASM129 comes back 9.0 then what will everyone say

That would be a good thing, but what if it comes back a 7.5? You know as well as anyone else who flips that you need to have that margin for error built into your business model.

What is the margin of error percentage?

The margin of error is lets say you're buying a book for $100 and you submit it thinking it has a good shot at a 9.8 which will then be worth $300. Look up what that book goes for in 9.6 or potentially 9.4. Maybe at 9.6 you break even and at 9.4 it will be a small loss. If you've subbed enough books you start to get a general idea of what CGC is looking for in certain grades, so you have to develop your grading eye so you have some sort of confidence that a book will come back in the grade range you believe it to be.

There's nothing wrong with taking a gamble now and then as long as you can afford to do so, but you should always try to mitigate your losses, especially now as you're trying to build up your cash.

I like the way you laid it out and I do think that way sometimes but not often.

You need to think that way all the time right now. Grind it out, build your cash up and eventually you will be able to take risks on bigger books. Always think about building your cash up, you will take some losses, that happens to everyone, but you want to minimize them as much as possible.

To be honest I don't know how to begin with finding 100 dollar comics I remember the comics that I do because they are key issues and in mist cases easier to flip.

On this forum alone there are threads discussing "hot" books in both the Copper and Bronze sections. Take some of that information and start looking on eBay, other web retailers or scour the local LCS's. Most of the guys I personally know have to hustle a little to find books, they're not just going to drop out of the sky.

To be successful at this you're going to have to work at it. I think there are a lot of people here who are willing to share information and knowledge, but no one wants to hold your hand. Do your research, do your work, build slowly within your means.

I checked and I was overwhelmed by how much info there was do you how any tips?

If you can't/won't/don't read that stuff and try and decipher the info on these boards, then either:

-You're lazy and you really don't want it bad enough

or

Well, that's it.

Look...everyone is looking for that "one big score". Last year, I got really lucky and had it (and lucky for me, I had the funds to make it happen at the time). A friend and I went in on a collection together and did really, really well. I know guys that have been doing this longer than me and are still waiting for it. It may never happen.

You cannot count on it. In fact, you may have already hit your "big score" with the generous finders fee on the JLA book.

I'm not a big time seller, but I've made some money on books over the years (but I've spent alot more). Most of my "big" profits on particular books have been books that I bought years ago that heated up well after the purchase. You're going to have a near impossible task buying "key" books at/over FMV and trying to flip them quickly.

But, you keep doing what you're doing. Only $1K in the hole after a few years. That should tell you something.

I'm not lazy part of my learning disability is to be easily overwhelmed and when I see 50-200 new posts on the hot comics section I don't read it because I don't know what to follow. I find comics to flip them quickly and as much as I love big scores I try to get consistency as big scores are always a nice bonus.

I'd go work in a comic shop or work for a dealer at a convention to learn about the biz

good advice, I'd put the over/under on 25 times someone has suggested that in this thread.

Pretty sure there's a huge conspiracy in Canada, that comic stores won't pay such a motivated, business savvy, hygienic, non-temperamental, knowledgeable, experienced gentleman to stock comics and run a cashier at a comic book store.

G(abe): Hi, I'd like to work at your comic book store.

O(wner): Thanks for coming in, what books do you read?

G: Mostly ASM 129 and Batman Adventures 12

O: No I mean what series are you reading now?

G: Well I know Harley Quinn is hot. She's in a movie.

O: Have you read the series?

G: Not yet, I need to make some money before I can buy new comics.

O: Well what are your hobbies?

G: I like to buy hot comics and flip them for profit. I've been doing it for about 3 years.

O: Well how much money have you made?

G: -$1,100.

O: Why do you have money to burn on old comics, but don't read new comics? What's the last full run or series you read? Graphic Novels are free at the library.

G: I don't really like reading. Please buy my ASM 129 for 20% over market. And pay me $10 per hour to carry boxes and sort comics until I get tired, then pay me to rest for a few hours.

Haha that's not what I would say and flipping comics isn't my only hobby.

I'd go work in a comic shop or work for a dealer at a convention to learn about the biz

This is a great idea. Get a part time job at a comic shop. Learn to ride a tricycle before you try and ride a Harley.

I'm looking to apply at some.

good advice, I'd put the over/under on 25 times someone has suggested that in this thread.

Pretty sure there's a huge conspiracy in Canada, that comic stores won't pay such a motivated, business savvy, hygienic, non-temperamental, knowledgeable, experienced gentleman to stock comics and run a cashier at a comic book store.

G(abe): Hi, I'd like to work at your comic book store.

O(wner): Thanks for coming in, what books do you read?

G: Mostly ASM 129 and Batman Adventures 12

O: No I mean what series are you reading now?

G: Well I know Harley Quinn is hot. She's in a movie.

O: Have you read the series?

G: Not yet, I need to make some money before I can buy new comics.

O: Well what are your hobbies?

G: I like to buy hot comics and flip them for profit. I've been doing it for about 3 years.

O: Well how much money have you made?

G: -$1,100.

O: Why do you have money to burn on old comics, but don't read new comics? What's the last full run or series you read? Graphic Novels are free at the library.

G: I don't really like reading. Please buy my ASM 129 for 20% over market. And pay me $10 per hour to carry boxes and sort comics until I get tired, then pay me to rest for a few hours.

I'm developing or rather have developed a strange addiction/attraction for this thread......can't stop watching the posts.....

Because it's a train-wreck right?

One thing I found success in was taking advantage of shops who didn't keep up on the latest movie hype or used guide. It's much safer to dig for deals because you aren't wasting money speculating. The market already exists.

For instance in the last two years, here's a few:

Strange adv 187 two copies ($8 each) sold one for $130 one for $80 - one was lower grade

Batman 251 - 2 copies for a total of $20. Sold for $250-300 total - both mid grade well presenting

Iron man 55 - $25 - mid grade copy - traded for jla 1

Iron fist 14 - mid grade - $35

Xmen 101 - mid grade - $35

Those are just off the top of my head.

I do that from time to time but what I mostly go for is comics sites with old pricing

Thanks for explaining it and since I bought the comic I want to sell it just as quickly not hold onto it as that's a lot of my money being tied up.

You should have thought of that before you bought it.

But you didn't. You f'd up - again.

After years of doing this - you're STILL make the same high-$$$$ mistakes you were since you started.

You're NOT learning and you're still blaming others.

There is NO evidence whatsoever that you are learning ANYTHING.

You bought an CGC graded 8.0 and thought it was an 8.5.... and THEN you had the stupidity to say that 0.5 difference was "no big deal".

You bought that 8.0 at GPA high value (no possibility of a quick-flip).

You bought that book with a staple tear that 4/5 pressers won't touch - yet you still cling to the irrational fantasy that this book will press to a higher grade rather than be damaged further.

Uneducable.

I agree. There is a lot of information in the other threads, both good information and some misinformation. It will serve the OP some good if he spent more time appreciating the hobby and reading up on it some more before trying to prove to himself that he can be successful in something. Unfortunately, his impatience will continue to hurt him.

What should I read up on?

Quit being lazy and figure it out yourself. You're an adult and you are responsible for your own actions. Quit blaming others for your failures in life. You are in the position you are in because of the decisions you've made put you where you're at. There are many people out there that have learning and physical disabilities but they don't let that hold them back. They accept their conditions and they adjust and succeed.

While I hope you succeed with your Road to Success, I think you really need to slow down as others have been telling you. Also, I don't think its your "learning disability" that is making things difficult for you but rather it is your total lack of common sense and patience.

Listen Gabe, if you don't have the capital to be a dealer, then perhaps you can accommodate your life style preferences and love of comics by being a broker - a middleman - a matchmaker.

The cgc registry is a potential gift to anyone willing to work hard. Registry guys, those who go public with their holdings, are what salesmen call motivated buyers. They are telling you what they want, what they have, and what they like (in terms of grade). You can pull up targeted info on the biggest players like the top 100, or just the guys who collect particular titles. You can reach out and talk to them directly through the boards. In sales, this kind of information and direct access is pure gold and it is amazing that it can be had for almost nothing.

Find a need and fill it, Gabe. Locate the books people need and then ask them if they'd buy so and so at price X. If they say yes they would, get that book. If they say yes and you can't afford to buy the book, tell them where they can get it and mention you'd be very grateful for a 2% or 5% or whatever finder's fee. Or $50. Or whatever.

Nobody utilizes the registry in this way. When I have a book to sell, I check the registry first - my hit ratio is maybe 1 out of 4. Guys are amazed to hear from someone through the registry pm. They are usually grateful that someone is trying to help them accomplish their registry goals, even if they don't want what's being offered.

Live your life the way you want. Don't shave, don't bathe, let your fingernails grow like Fu Manchu - it doesn't matter. No girlfriend? Good. Just sit in front of the computer and search to connect the dots for people and their collections. You have a membership to CGC and internet access? Then all it takes is time and effort.

There are too many books out there - that's a problem today that didn't exist 10 years ago. I don't have the time every morning to check Ebay, ComicLink, ComicConnect, Worldwide's site, and all the other dealers who list their inventory for what's new. No one who has a life, has a job, has a family, has friends, has the time. But listen, kid - for better or worse, you don't really have these commitments. So turn that into an asset. Deal in information and see if you can make it pay.

Good luck, kid.

Great advice for a rational comic seller. Very insightful for someone who knows what they're doing.

However... it is TERRIBLE advice for a learning-disabled, poorly-motivated and virtually ineducable spending-addict who constantly overpays for books and doesn't even know what grade he's buying even when it says so right on the top of the case!!!

TERRIBLE advice for Gabe - it just feeds his addiction even more.

It's like sending a 5-year old to walk around the streets of downtown New York with a wad of $100 bills in his hand and have him go look for a Rolex watch to buy for you while you wait up in a hotel room for him to come back.

doh!

I agree. This is not good advice for Gabe.

8 8