• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

There's a tool here alright.

You think that's me haha no I just say what I mean to others and no one forced red to come here.

No, I don't think. Haha You're pretty insolent for someone in your situation

No you can say what you wish but I don't like being insulted.

You choose to be insulted by criticism. Well deserved criticism in this case, by literally hundreds of years of experience on this subject.

Your "criticisms" border on insulting quite a bit.

I may not personally agree with how the OP is handling his "business", but he's remained fairly even keeled in the face of a lot of people throwing krap his way. I think that's admirable and I don't know a lot of people here who would be able to do that without lashing out. 2c

General updates

I finally got my laptop so I'll be on later and catch up on all this and I'm not on any form of assistance anymore.

ASM 129 Plans

Sell it outright and if it doesn't sell in a month or two I'll try time payments and should that not work I'll get it pressed and regraded because I have a presser that assured me that he can do it but in that case something happens he'll pay for the comic.

just get all the numbers sorted out and in writing as soon as possible. Like what price for what grade, who pays for shipping, grading, insurance, and other fees if applicable. Get everything signed by both parties, give copies, maybe even get a witness. Make sure names are on everything, maybe a phone number too. All on the contract.

I'll get it pressed and regraded because I have a presser that assured me that he can do it but in that case something happens he'll pay for the comic.

Show your math for this please. Just because you can press a book doesn't mean its worth while. Show all costs you will have to pay.

Listen Gabe, if you don't have the capital to be a dealer, then perhaps you can accommodate your life style preferences and love of comics by being a broker - a middleman - a matchmaker.

The cgc registry is a potential gift to anyone willing to work hard. Registry guys, those who go public with their holdings, are what salesmen call motivated buyers. They are telling you what they want, what they have, and what they like (in terms of grade). You can pull up targeted info on the biggest players like the top 100, or just the guys who collect particular titles. You can reach out and talk to them directly through the boards. In sales, this kind of information and direct access is pure gold and it is amazing that it can be had for almost nothing.

Find a need and fill it, Gabe. Locate the books people need and then ask them if they'd buy so and so at price X. If they say yes they would, get that book. If they say yes and you can't afford to buy the book, tell them where they can get it and mention you'd be very grateful for a 2% or 5% or whatever finder's fee. Or $50. Or whatever.

Nobody utilizes the registry in this way. When I have a book to sell, I check the registry first - my hit ratio is maybe 1 out of 4. Guys are amazed to hear from someone through the registry pm. They are usually grateful that someone is trying to help them accomplish their registry goals, even if they don't want what's being offered.

Live your life the way you want. Don't shave, don't bathe, let your fingernails grow like Fu Manchu - it doesn't matter. No girlfriend? Good. Just sit in front of the computer and search to connect the dots for people and their collections. You have a membership to CGC and internet access? Then all it takes is time and effort.

There are too many books out there - that's a problem today that didn't exist 10 years ago. I don't have the time every morning to check Ebay, ComicLink, ComicConnect, Worldwide's site, and all the other dealers who list their inventory for what's new. No one who has a life, has a job, has a family, has friends, has the time. But listen, kid - for better or worse, you don't really have these commitments. So turn that into an asset. Deal in information and see if you can make it pay.

Good luck, kid.

Oh yeh - along the same lines - the WTB thread is also a place to work it.

for instance, this guy within the past week. You like ASM's right Gabe? Hook this guy up. It's never a sure thing, but it's as close as you can get in sales without lifting a finger.

"Hi everyone,

I'm getting very close to completing my 1-50 7.0+ ASM run, but I'm still missing a few and looking to upgrade some others. Feel free to send a PM if you have anything on the list below.

3-10, and 12, all CGC 7.0-7.5, OW/W or W PQ only."

Listen Gabe, if you don't have the capital to be a dealer, then perhaps you can accommodate your life style preferences and love of comics by being a broker - a middleman - a matchmaker.

The cgc registry is a potential gift to anyone willing to work hard. Registry guys, those who go public with their holdings, are what salesmen call motivated buyers. They are telling you what they want, what they have, and what they like (in terms of grade). You can pull up targeted info on the biggest players like the top 100, or just the guys who collect particular titles. You can reach out and talk to them directly through the boards. In sales, this kind of information and direct access is pure gold and it is amazing that it can be had for almost nothing.

Find a need and fill it, Gabe. Locate the books people need and then ask them if they'd buy so and so at price X. If they say yes they would, get that book. If they say yes and you can't afford to buy the book, tell them where they can get it and mention you'd be very grateful for a 2% or 5% or whatever finder's fee. Or $50. Or whatever.

Nobody utilizes the registry in this way. When I have a book to sell, I check the registry first - my hit ratio is maybe 1 out of 4. Guys are amazed to hear from someone through the registry pm. They are usually grateful that someone is trying to help them accomplish their registry goals, even if they don't want what's being offered.

Live your life the way you want. Don't shave, don't bathe, let your fingernails grow like Fu Manchu - it doesn't matter. No girlfriend? Good. Just sit in front of the computer and search to connect the dots for people and their collections. You have a membership to CGC and internet access? Then all it takes is time and effort.

There are too many books out there - that's a problem today that didn't exist 10 years ago. I don't have the time every morning to check Ebay, ComicLink, ComicConnect, Worldwide's site, and all the other dealers who list their inventory for what's new. No one who has a life, has a job, has a family, has friends, has the time. But listen, kid - for better or worse, you don't really have these commitments. So turn that into an asset. Deal in information and see if you can make it pay.

Good luck, kid.

(worship)(worship)(worship)

The Dr is a wise man. (And he has impeccable taste to boot)

Good luck, kid.

(worship)(worship)(worship)

The Dr is a wise man. (And he has impeccable taste to boot)

Interesting I never thought of that I only thought of using heritage auctions and finding comics that people have been trying to sell for a while

There's a tool here alright.

You think that's me haha no I just say what I mean to others and no one forced red to come here.

No, I don't think. Haha You're pretty insolent for someone in your situation

No you can say what you wish but I don't like being insulted.

You choose to be insulted by criticism. Well deserved criticism in this case, by literally hundreds of years of experience on this subject.

Your "criticisms" border on insulting quite a bit.

I may not personally agree with how the OP is handling his "business", but he's remained fairly even keeled in the face of a lot of people throwing krap his way. I think that's admirable and I don't know a lot of people here who would be able to do that without lashing out. 2c

I don't believe in coddling.

Good luck, kid.

Based on this journal do you really think Gabe has the skill set and experience at this point to do this??? The reputation? Where is Gabe going to get the capital to buy some if these books? If he cant buy them he has to rely on the generosity of the boardie? He could potentially put in HOURS of work for what? $50? Not everyone is going to give him a $700 finders fee. This may be good for someone with experience and a certain skill set but Gabe is nowhere near ready to handle and properly deal in this. All this will do is encourage Gabe to continue chasing an unrealistic dream instead of sorting his life out.

2c

Edited by Wall-Crawler

I hope that ASM129 comes back 9.0 then what will everyone say

That would be a good thing, but what if it comes back a 7.5? You know as well as anyone else who flips that you need to have that margin for error built into your business model.

What is the margin of error percentage?

The margin of error is lets say you're buying a book for $100 and you submit it thinking it has a good shot at a 9.8 which will then be worth $300. Look up what that book goes for in 9.6 or potentially 9.4. Maybe at 9.6 you break even and at 9.4 it will be a small loss. If you've subbed enough books you start to get a general idea of what CGC is looking for in certain grades, so you have to develop your grading eye so you have some sort of confidence that a book will come back in the grade range you believe it to be.

There's nothing wrong with taking a gamble now and then as long as you can afford to do so, but you should always try to mitigate your losses, especially now as you're trying to build up your cash.

I like the way you laid it out and I do think that way sometimes but not often.

You need to think that way all the time right now. Grind it out, build your cash up and eventually you will be able to take risks on bigger books. Always think about building your cash up, you will take some losses, that happens to everyone, but you want to minimize them as much as possible.

To be honest I don't know how to begin with finding 100 dollar comics I remember the comics that I do because they are key issues and in mist cases easier to flip.

On this forum alone there are threads discussing "hot" books in both the Copper and Bronze sections. Take some of that information and start looking on eBay, other web retailers or scour the local LCS's. Most of the guys I personally know have to hustle a little to find books, they're not just going to drop out of the sky.

To be successful at this you're going to have to work at it. I think there are a lot of people here who are willing to share information and knowledge, but no one wants to hold your hand. Do your research, do your work, build slowly within your means.

I'll take a look at it and see what's happening.

I didn't think it was possible to lose $1,000 in selling books. You may not make a fortune but there are enough deals floating around the sales thread any given week you should be able to make money each week (as long as Hector is not around to grab them first)

For me it was because my mistakes were overpaying for these comics and the fact that I got scammed three times led me to the situation I'm in now but I'll keep my eyes on the sales threads.

I hope that ASM129 comes back 9.0 then what will everyone say

That would be a good thing, but what if it comes back a 7.5? You know as well as anyone else who flips that you need to have that margin for error built into your business model.

What is the margin of error percentage?

The margin of error is lets say you're buying a book for $100 and you submit it thinking it has a good shot at a 9.8 which will then be worth $300. Look up what that book goes for in 9.6 or potentially 9.4. Maybe at 9.6 you break even and at 9.4 it will be a small loss. If you've subbed enough books you start to get a general idea of what CGC is looking for in certain grades, so you have to develop your grading eye so you have some sort of confidence that a book will come back in the grade range you believe it to be.

There's nothing wrong with taking a gamble now and then as long as you can afford to do so, but you should always try to mitigate your losses, especially now as you're trying to build up your cash.

I like the way you laid it out and I do think that way sometimes but not often.

You need to think that way all the time right now. Grind it out, build your cash up and eventually you will be able to take risks on bigger books. Always think about building your cash up, you will take some losses, that happens to everyone, but you want to minimize them as much as possible.

To be honest I don't know how to begin with finding 100 dollar comics I remember the comics that I do because they are key issues and in mist cases easier to flip.

On this forum alone there are threads discussing "hot" books in both the Copper and Bronze sections. Take some of that information and start looking on eBay, other web retailers or scour the local LCS's. Most of the guys I personally know have to hustle a little to find books, they're not just going to drop out of the sky.

To be successful at this you're going to have to work at it. I think there are a lot of people here who are willing to share information and knowledge, but no one wants to hold your hand. Do your research, do your work, build slowly within your means.

I checked and I was overwhelmed by how much info there was do you how any tips?

Tips on what, books? Or tips on how to organize information?

How to organize information properly

All the comic buying/selling/trading shenanigans aside, here's one part I can't get past.

The OP keeps saying that he wants to get a job that offers more hours, yet he has a job.

When I managed a restaurant, I never gave hours to anyone...employees earned their hours.

My superstars...the ones that went above and beyond by either covering a last minute call-off, cleaning in between other jobs, or just having great attitudes were the ones I took care of. I always made sure they had the hours they were looking for. I couldn't do my job well without them.

Even the people a step down from my superstars...the people that were always on time for their shift, who followed directions well, and had good attitudes were sure to get 30-40 hours a week depending on their needs. I'd work with them because they made my life easier.

But the bums...the ones that showed up late for shifts, never covered a shift outside of their schedule, people with bad attitudes who obviously took no pride in what they did, these people would generally get 15 hours or less. Even the people who were good at a specific job but had poor attitudes, they are bums to me. I'd take an unskilled hard-worker over a skilled diva with a poor attitude any day.

What I'm saying to the OP is that if you're not getting enough hours at work, it's nobody's fault but yours.

Do a self-assessment:

• Are you there early every day? No exceptions? Remember, if you're "on-time", you're late. Be 5 minutes early for every shift.
  • Is your uniform clean, nails clean and trimmed, hair washed, combed and out of the way? I don't care if you work in the back, you need to look presentable at work at all times.
  • Check your attitude. When you're assigned a job, do you grumble and meander over to it, or is your response a peppy "sure thing!" with physical enthusiasm to match?
  • What are you doing during slow times? If you're a dishwasher, what do you do between trays of dishes to be done? Is your station spotless? If not, clean it. If the area is perfect, grab something like a pot or a board and give it a deep cleaning. Make it like new again. Things like this is restaurants get dingy after time. A little elbow grease goes a long way.
  • Are you smiling? I don't care if you hate the job. SMILE! It goes a LOOOOOONG way.

First off I don't smiled if I don't like something I don't fake my feelings. I was always there about 30 minutes early, my hygiene was so-so when I came to facial hair, I was eager to help others and I had a good attitude until you pissed me off. Everything was so busy there's not really anytime for anything else.

Smiling isn't a feeling. It's a physical expression. You can not like something and still smile. It's a skill, and a useful one if you want to move up in any job/career. I can't think of a single job out there where you're not going to have to put up with something/someone you don't especially like. It doesn't mean you have to grimace your way through it. If nothing else, consider it a form of training for voice acting. Your character's emotion won't always match up with your personal emotion. Despite what you're feeling inside, you need to be able to convey a positive outward appearance.

And having a good attitude "until you pissed me off"? Give me a break. A while back in this thread, before you found your current job, people were telling you that in an entry-level position you don't have the luxury of being "pissed off" if you want to succeed. You take your lumps and use your dissatisfaction with the job as motivation to improve to eventually EARN your way to a better position. Remember that bosses don't give more hours/promotions/raises...employees EARN them. When you stop trying to blame your boss and realize that you hold all the cards when it comes to improving yourself, you will vastly improve your station.

As far as it being so busy that you don't have time for anything else, make time! Go above and beyond. Tell yourself "I'm going to wash these dishes so fast that I'll have 10 minutes at the end of the night to deep scrub that pot until I can see myself in it". Wow your boss.

And if your hygiene was only "so-so" in any area and you work in a restaurant, that needs to be addressed IMMEDIATELY. In my experience, customers will give you a second chance if the service is bad or the food isn't perfect, but they will never come back if they think the restaurant or the people who worked it were dirty.

Re-read what I bulleted in my previous post. These aren't things where you can do them part-way. You're either doing them or you're not. Comics won't break the cycle of poverty you claim to be in, but your job might. It will take a lot of effort on your part, though.

Voice acting is something that I haven't fully done yet. Well my hygiene was really my fingers nail and facial hair and yeah that needs to improve. I had a couple times where I finished before I was supposed to and that felt good and I did that a few times and I tried to ask my boss for different hours and she cut them that was a nice thanks I got.

I'm not sure what you mean "haven't fully done yet". (shrug)

If it's a passion of yours, you should be practicing constantly. If you like video games so much, try your best to imitate the voices in the games you hear. You don't need to be taught by a professional be to good at something. There are plenty of people who succeed because their passion carries them through endless practice. Don't wait for lessons. Just practice.

And if you recognize your hygiene isn't where it needs to be to meet the minimum standards for your job, FIX IT!!! To clean and cut your fingernails takes, what, 2-3 minutes if you want to be thorough. And if your facial hair isn't neat and trimmed, you should be clean-shaven. ESPECIALLY if you're marketing yourself for future employment. I've had people with scraggily facial hair hand an application to me and ask if I'm interviewing. I would take their application, look them square in the eye and ask: "are you willing to shave your beard/mustache"? The question often catches people by surprise and I often get an honest look into who they really are instead of them being on their best behavior temporarily.

If they say yes without hesitating, I know they are serious and I give them an interview. If they say no, I tell them that we'll let them know if we have any openings. They don't get called back. To be clear, neat facial hair is fine.

Bottom line: hygiene is non-negotiable. If you are admitting that there are some basic things you need to do to improve, do them before you leave the house next. There is absolutely no excuse not to.

Regarding your hours, you should be thankful for every hour you get to be clocked in. If you finally got done ahead of schedule only to go over to your boss to ask for different hours, why would she do anything but cut them? What was wrong with the hours you were getting?

You should have been finishing early and then approaching your boss and asking if there was anything else she'd like you working on. Do that enough times and you'll find you'll have any hours you want. Guaranteed!

And for the last time, in your position, your paycheck is your thanks. Yes, a good manager will take the time to show appreciation for a job well done, but it's certainly not required. Stop expecting any type of thanks at your job. It seems to be a pattern.

To be frank, you seem to be a below-average employee (based solely on information gathered from this thread) with a lot of physical and emotional limitations and you expect your bosses to kiss your feet the second you do a single job well.

Do all your jobs well with clean nails, neat (or no) facial hair, and a smile on your face and the thanks you're looking for will come. Not sooner.

Voice acting is something I stopped doing because I don't have the equipment anymore and I was terrible at. My hygiene isn't the greatest this I know but it's something that I can improve and as for if you would ask me if I would shave my beard the answer would be yes if it would mean getting the job. The hours that I was getting were very late at night and I don't live in the safest neighborhood so I asked them to be change to a shift earlier and she cut my hours down. I know a paycheck is my thanks but I don't like to be treated like when I'm there.

Details are a big part of this business.

If you cannot be bothered with them or don't have the time for them, therein lies the problem

This is not a good business for you. Sorry but that's the truth

Yeah I admit missing the taxes part before I bought the comic was stupid I'll be more careful next time.

I checked and I was overwhelmed by how much info there was do you how any tips?

Wow...:facepalm: Either you didn't read what was written or you are just really lazy.

Don't give him any of that "hard work n stuff" bull !! :sumo:

Can't you just give him $1200 for his ASM129 8.5 and quit overwhelming him with advice? :insane:

Geez. :makepoint:

No I can sell this comic myself and the advice isn't overwhelming me.

8 8