• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

I'll get it pressed and regraded because I have a presser that assured me that he can do it but in that case something happens he'll pay for the comic.

Show your math for this please. Just because you can press a book doesn't mean its worth while. Show all costs you will have to pay.

OK

ASM 129 CGC 8.0

Paid $956

Expected grade 8.5

Last sale $1200

90 day average $1075

Costs of cpr

Shipping $30

Pressing $15

Grading $75

Total

956+30+15+75 = 1076 which is 1 dollar over the 90 gpa average of a 8.5

Expected value

Now I would take the expected value and take it away from how much everything cost me

1200-1075 = $125 profit

Does the cost of grading above (75$) include return shipping to Canada? Selling for 1200 =/= (does not equal 1200 in your PayPal, but rather 1153.20 at 3.9% fee).

Gabe your presser may tell you he can get you a bump but what happens if it stays an 8.0? What happens if drops are you financially safe to lose another 150 for an 8.0 or like 350 if it drops to a 7.5?

I would have to check again as I believe he would cover the difference should that happen. The 75 would cover shipping and the return cost to Canada. Would I be able to handle the financial loss? I would but I wouldn't like it.

CGC's base rate for return shipping to Canada is via FedEx international @ $60 USD. You can't grade this book for $15. What grading tier are you planning to submit this book under? Economy? I don't think that will fly with CGC but you can try...mean it has to go standard which is $53 with a 20% dealer discount (do you get the 20% discount?). Leaving you with $22 for return shipping...Not sure that's possible.

I would submit this comic under the standard tier which is $60 usd and though I'm not a dealer the presser I would use has a 20% discount and it's been a while since I used cgc but I know there's a cheaper shipping option I'll check my invoices as the closest comparable would be my ba12 cgc 9.6

If you're flipping books, you should know all of the costs involved with pressing & grading like the back of your hand.

You should also know that a presser has no control over CGC's grading and as such, will not "cover the difference" if a book drops in grade after it is re-subbed.

The only conceivable way a presser in his right mind would cover a drop in grade is if he damaged the book, while working on it, or while the book was in his possession.

Books that have been CPR'd by competent pressers rarely drop in grade, however they do, on some occasions...be it a change in grading standards since the book was originally graded or something along those lines.

As if all of this wasn't ridiculous in the first place....you do realize that no competent presser will press a book with a FMV of around $1000 for fifteen bucks, without a lag time of several months?

I would not touch this book for less than $50, but that's besides the point.

CCS charges $60 for pressing books of this sort of FMV, with an actual turn around time of about one month.

The best case scenario is that you ship this slab to your presser...after paying over $100 (or more), you are able to sell this book for a profit of less than $100....if you get an 8.5

Assuming the book is actually a good pressing candidate...overlooking the fact you bought it off eBay and were not able to see subtle bends etc up close/in hand...even then, you have to have a very good eye (and understand the mechanics of paper, humidification, heat and pressure) to see pressable defects.

Even if you have such a good eye, it is hard to tell the extent of such defects when the book is encapsulated.

By some strange feat of luck and beating the lofty odds involved with this CPR project of yours, let's say that you get back an 8.5.

That will take about 4 months of having a $1000 tied up, to make a profit of about fifty bucks.

....and that is if you are lucky, and you don't get back an 8.0...or a 7.5.

I don't see where 4 months is coming from but what I see getting is a 8.5. I went over the comic when I got it and saw lots of pressable defects and also cgc didn't note the staple tear for whatever reason.

Which means it may have happened after the book was encapsulated.

So how would I prove that it happened before I got it?

You can't. Even if you could, it wouldn't matter.

I think if he's going to continue to flip the first thing he needs to do is make a realistic budget...some of the best advice yet. Set a aside a percentage of what you make at your job strictly for comics and have enough discipline to not exceed it. ....

And it has to be a very small amount. The point is to train his self-control, not indulge his impulses as much as he can afford.

A small amount like what?

See my Step 1 again:

1. Stop all comic-buying that costs more than you make in one-hour of work a week. Whatever you make per hour, that is your weekly budget for games/comics etc. for the rest of the year. This is the start of training your self-control which you already admit is the core of your problems.

Will you like it? No.

Will it feel good? No.

Is it necessary? Absolutely.

Will you do this? If your answer is "No", then say so and everyone will know that you refuse to restrain your emotions and impulses. "

What is your answer?

No because I don't understand it. My budget can't be anything over what I make in a hour so what I am allowed to spend?

Okay here, it's really this simple:

How much do you make per hour? _____

Look at that number - THAT is how much you can spend per week on comics/games.

Got it?

If you make $9/hr - you can spend $9/week on comics. That allows you to buy nine $1 books, or three $3 books or one $9 book per week. Or you can save it up for a couple of weeks and spend it on a somewhat bigger purchase - but you need to force yourself to spend no more than one-hours worth of work on games/comics.

While doing so, you will see "great deals" come and go and hopefully you'll learn that your world will not fall apart if you don't jump on the next "big deal" that you think you might maybe possibly could flip.

It's called TEACHING you self-control.

TRAINING you to control your impulses.

That will be FAR more important to your whole life than finding any "great deal" that might or might not pan out.

Will you like it? No.

Will it feel good? No.

Will you do this? If your answer is "No", then just say so and everyone will know that you're an addict and you refuse to restrain your emotions and impulses.

ETA: *** The key here is that your weekly comic/game budget is NOT a number that YOU came up with - it's NOT a number that YOU feel comfortable with and that you agree with. It's an uncomfortably tight number that restrains you - and THAT is the whole purpose, to train and teach you to control your impulses. EVERYBODY can live with a budget they "feel comfortable" with - your problem is your feelings of what you "want" to live with and what you "feel comfortable" with are at the whim of your emotions and impulses, which you know you cannot control.

I agree to this as I never heard of this before and I make 11.25 a hour. So I keep doing this until I learn self control and have more spending money? I also have comics I bought before you suggested this idea just to let you know.

I think if he's going to continue to flip the first thing he needs to do is make a realistic budget...some of the best advice yet. Set a aside a percentage of what you make at your job strictly for comics and have enough discipline to not exceed it. ....

And it has to be a very small amount. The point is to train his self-control, not indulge his impulses as much as he can afford.

See my Step 1 again:

1. Stop all comic-buying that costs more than you make in one-hour of work a week. Whatever you make per hour, that is your weekly budget for games/comics etc. for the rest of the year. This is the start of training your self-control which you already admit is the core of your problems.

Will you like it? No.

Will it feel good? No.

Will you do this? If your answer is "No", then say so and everyone will know that you refuse to restrain your emotions and impulses. "

What is your answer?

No because I don't understand it. My budget can't be anything over what I make in a hour so what I am allowed to spend?

Gabe, I know I said I was just going to be reading your journal, but like your comic buying .. I just can't help myself.

If you make $7.00c an hour (just a random figure I made up) .. $7.00c is the amount that you spend on comics a week.

Hopefully you'll understand that and be able to post 'Yes' or 'No' to the question.

It just needed to be worded differently and my answer is yes I'm willing to give this a try.

See my Step 1 again:

Will you like it? No.

Will it feel good? No.

What is your answer?

Gabe, I know I said I was just going to be reading your journal, but like your comic buying .. I just can't help myself.

If you make $7.00c an hour (just a random figure I made up) .. $7.00c is the amount that you spend on comics a week.

Hopefully you'll understand that and be able to post 'Yes' or 'No' to the question.

If it were me I would say no. You can barely buy a couple of moderns for that money. I know he has a problem with impulse purchases, but there are other ways to do this.

Money earned per paycheck, minus bills, the rest that's left over his discretionary income. Anyone that tells him to save is being silly, there's not too much point saving money when you're hardly earning anything. If he can take that extra money and make more money, why not? Of course, he hasn't shown an ability to do this yet, but hopefully he starts taking some of the advice he's been getting and puts it to good use.

My answer to what James suggested is yes and it's going to be hard since I never had a strict budget like this.

Step 1 - Buy comic.

Step 2 - ?

Step 3 - Profit

Step 2 - Sell comic

In an earlier post you mentioned you and a friend were in a competition in selling comics and that he was leading you. Are you still in this competition? Is this also one of the reasons you don't want to give up selling?

That is one of the reasons and the person is smoking me in this competition and it's until 2017.

See my Step 1 again:

Will you like it? No.

Will it feel good? No.

What is your answer?

If it were me I would say no. You can barely buy a couple of moderns for that money. I know he has a problem with impulse purchases, but there are other ways to do this.

Money earned per paycheck, minus bills, the rest that's left over his discretionary income. Anyone that tells him to save is being silly, there's not too much point saving money when you're hardly earning anything. If he can take that extra money and make more money, why not? Of course, he hasn't shown an ability to do this yet, but hopefully he starts taking some of the advice he's been getting and puts it to good use.

You're enabling a gambling addict. You admit he "hasn't shown an ability" to control himself yet - and yet you give him an excuse to not even try.

This has nothing to do with comicbooks - it's about learning self-control and maturity, impulse-control. The point is not to give him a budget to continue buying lots of books - it's to create a habit within himself to CONTROL his emotions and impulses and see that he CAN pass up "great deals" and his world won't collapse. He will learn self-control and THAT will be worth far more in his life in the long run than any money he maybe-coulda-possibly-mighta made on a "deal" in the short term.

And your statement that "there's not too much point saving money when you're hardly earning anything" is utterly stupid and destructive to a spending-addict like Gabe. The less you make, the MORE you should save!!

This is how addictions are enabled and supported. :facepalm:

It's ok James I already agreed to follow the budget strategy you gave me.

See my Step 1 again:

Will you like it? No.

Will it feel good? No.

What is your answer?

You're enabling a gambling addict. You admit he "hasn't shown an ability" to control himself yet - and yet you give him an excuse to not even try.

This has nothing to do with comicbooks - it's about learning self-control and maturity, impulse-control. The point is not to give him a budget to continue buying lots of books - it's to create a habit within himself to CONTROL his emotions and impulses and see that he CAN pass up "great deals" and his world won't collapse. He will learn self-control and THAT will be worth far more in his life in the long run than any money he maybe-coulda-possibly-mighta made on a "deal" in the short term.

And your statement that "there's not too much point saving money when you're hardly earning anything" is utterly stupid and destructive to a spending-addict like Gabe. The less you make, the MORE you should save!!

He's never going to follow your plan, NEVER. Knowing this, I think the best way is for him to just do what he's doing now, only better.

What's he supposed to save up for when he earning minimum wage working 20 hours a week..a new car? Down payment on a house?

Your wrong about me not following James's plan but you have a point as well in making money with comics if I learn how to make money with comics while at the same time following the budget strategy I'll be killing two birds with one stone as my other mistakes are emotion based impulse buys and desperation of not getting in on a deal quick enough.

I'll get it pressed and regraded because I have a presser that assured me that he can do it but in that case something happens he'll pay for the comic.

Show your math for this please. Just because you can press a book doesn't mean its worth while. Show all costs you will have to pay.

OK

ASM 129 CGC 8.0

Paid $956

Expected grade 8.5

Last sale $1200

90 day average $1075

Costs of cpr

Shipping $30

Pressing $15

Grading $75

Total

956+30+15+75 = 1076 which is 1 dollar over the 90 gpa average of a 8.5

Expected value

Now I would take the expected value and take it away from how much everything cost me

1200-1075 = $125 profit

Does the cost of grading above (75$) include return shipping to Canada? Selling for 1200 =/= (does not equal 1200 in your PayPal, but rather 1153.20 at 3.9% fee).

Gabe your presser may tell you he can get you a bump but what happens if it stays an 8.0? What happens if drops are you financially safe to lose another 150 for an 8.0 or like 350 if it drops to a 7.5?

I would have to check again as I believe he would cover the difference should that happen. The 75 would cover shipping and the return cost to Canada. Would I be able to handle the financial loss? I would but I wouldn't like it.

CGC's base rate for return shipping to Canada is via FedEx international @ $60 USD. You can't grade this book for $15. What grading tier are you planning to submit this book under? Economy? I don't think that will fly with CGC but you can try...mean it has to go standard which is $53 with a 20% dealer discount (do you get the 20% discount?). Leaving you with $22 for return shipping...Not sure that's possible.

I would submit this comic under the standard tier which is $60 usd and though I'm not a dealer the presser I would use has a 20% discount and it's been a while since I used cgc but I know there's a cheaper shipping option I'll check my invoices as the closest comparable would be my ba12 cgc 9.6

If you're flipping books, you should know all of the costs involved with pressing & grading like the back of your hand.

You should also know that a presser has no control over CGC's grading and as such, will not "cover the difference" if a book drops in grade after it is re-subbed.

The only conceivable way a presser in his right mind would cover a drop in grade is if he damaged the book, while working on it, or while the book was in his possession.

Books that have been CPR'd by competent pressers rarely drop in grade, however they do, on some occasions...be it a change in grading standards since the book was originally graded or something along those lines.

As if all of this wasn't ridiculous in the first place....you do realize that no competent presser will press a book with a FMV of around $1000 for fifteen bucks, without a lag time of several months?

I would not touch this book for less than $50, but that's besides the point.

CCS charges $60 for pressing books of this sort of FMV, with an actual turn around time of about one month.

The best case scenario is that you ship this slab to your presser...after paying over $100 (or more), you are able to sell this book for a profit of less than $100....if you get an 8.5

Assuming the book is actually a good pressing candidate...overlooking the fact you bought it off eBay and were not able to see subtle bends etc up close/in hand...even then, you have to have a very good eye (and understand the mechanics of paper, humidification, heat and pressure) to see pressable defects.

Even if you have such a good eye, it is hard to tell the extent of such defects when the book is encapsulated.

By some strange feat of luck and beating the lofty odds involved with this CPR project of yours, let's say that you get back an 8.5.

That will take about 4 months of having a $1000 tied up, to make a profit of about fifty bucks.

....and that is if you are lucky, and you don't get back an 8.0...or a 7.5.

I don't see where 4 months is coming from but what I see getting is a 8.5. I went over the comic when I got it and saw lots of pressable defects and also cgc didn't note the staple tear for whatever reason.

Which means it may have happened after the book was encapsulated.

EXACTLY! You may have a book that was damaged in shipping when the cover is locked in place and the interior of the book moves causing a tear. If this is the case then you probably have a 7.0 book sitting in an 8.0 case. Another reason NOT to crack, press, re-submit.

But then again, we all know you're going to do whatever you want, so have fun getting that "8.5"

Like I said before my first thing I'll be doing is selling the comic as is and should I not get any bites it will be cpr'd and should cgc knock it down I'll have a chat with them about it.

He doesn't have an addiction. :eyeroll:

He's just a millennial who wants to make it big doing as little work to get there as possible. He "can't" do things because he's lazy and doesn't want to put in hard work. He "cant" follow the heating up threads because he has a learning disability. meh All he needs to do is put in the time and effort and write stuff down. He doesn't want to work - he wants everyone to do the work for him. You see threads spring up all the time - "what books are hot that no one knows about yet" - because kids like Gabe don't want to put in the work. It's all about instant gratification.

Stop saying he has an addiction because it's insulting to people who actually do have an addiction.

Harvey, please don't assume you know how my learning disability does or doesn't affect me. I ask for tips because people find ways to make things easier on themselves instead of it taking longer for example someone may know how copy all of the thread at the same time. Is that being lazy? No it's thinking smarter and saving time where you can. There are many things that I don't like but if it's something I think I can do I'm determined to do it.

He's just a millennial who wants to make it big doing as little work to get there as possible. He "can't" do things because he's lazy and doesn't want to put in hard work. He "cant" follow the heating up threads because he has a learning disability. meh All he needs to do is put in the time and effort and write stuff down. He doesn't want to work - he wants everyone to do the work for him. You see threads spring up all the time - "what books are hot that no one knows about yet" - because kids like Gabe don't want to put in the work. It's all about instant gratification.

Stop saying he has an addiction because it's insulting to people who actually do have an addiction.

He openly admits he can't control his emotions and impulses when it comes to spending money on comics.

He is extremely impulsive to the point where he buys a 8.0 thinking it's an 8.5.

He has thousands of dollars in the just past couple years worth of these mere "mistakes". And yet he keeps on making them and admits his problem.

Vegas thrives on people like that.

As others have pointed out - he CAN'T stop himself. He gets a rush from finding that "next great deal". When he's surfing the web looking for deals, is brain is probably acting just like a gambler watching for that next roll of the dice and thinking "If only I learn this game better, I'll win even more", all the while - he - keeps -making - huge - blunders... and all these blunders are because he can't control his impulses and his emotions.

So you can dismiss it as just being lazy - and that's your opinion. Just like a gambler or smoker or alcoholic is just too "lazy" to quit.

I'd never thought I'd see the day where you stood up for me like that... Thank you. I don't like how people dismiss addictions or mental problems as something as being "lazy" because they don't understand it and that's the simplest way to get rid of people.

I admitted that I have a problem and I'm doing things to fix that do you truly think someone that's lazy would do this?

He openly admits he can't control his emotions and impulses when it comes to spending money on comics.

He is extremely impulsive to the point where he buys a 8.0 thinking it's an 8.5.

He has thousands of dollars in the just past couple years worth of these mere "mistakes". And yet he keeps on making them and admits his problem.

Vegas thrives on people like that.

As others have pointed out - he CAN'T stop himself. He gets a rush from finding that "next great deal". When he's surfing the web looking for deals, is brain is probably acting just like a gambler watching for that next roll of the dice and thinking "If only I learn this game better, I'll win even more", all the while - he - keeps -making - huge - blunders... and all these blunders are because he can't control his impulses and his emotions.

So you can dismiss it as just being lazy - and that's your opinion. Just like a gambler or smoker or alcoholic is just too "lazy" to quit.

That's not an addiction. He just repeatedly makes very bad decisions.

Yes I do make lots of bad decisions and I'm working on it.

Harvey, please don't assume you know how my learning disability does or doesn't affect me. I ask for tips because people find ways to make things easier on themselves instead of it taking longer for example someone may know how copy all of the thread at the same time. Is that being lazy? No it's thinking smarter and saving time where you can. There are many things that I don't like but if it's something I think I can do I'm determined to do it.

It sure does sound like laziness. Basically you want someone else to do the homework for you because it'll save you time.

GABE.....

You're not going to make a living flipping "flavor o' the month" keys at 1K a pop. Sure, they're cool and someone will buy it.... but it's the profit that counts. Where you're going to find opportunities for a healthy profit is in sales at the $20 to $200 level (give or take...). One thing I've found that helps me is to research an item before I sink any capital into it. If there's 3 copies in every Auction, Metro has 6 copies, and eBay has 19 copies, it likely isn't going to be a viable option for the laptop warrior like yourself. The census was mentioned earlier as a resource tool..... a good simple application is to take 3 or 4 titles that you like, and go through the BA and CA eras looking for issues that have no copies slabbed in 9.8.... or even better, copies that have no issues slabbed at all. Find them in the wild in high grade and slab them. Rinse and repeat. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I have the gist of the idea do you have some example or picture to describe this so that I can understand it fully?

GABE.....

You're not going to make a living flipping "flavor o' the month" keys at 1K a pop. Sure, they're cool and someone will buy it.... but it's the profit that counts. Where you're going to find opportunities for a healthy profit is in sales at the $20 to $200 level (give or take...). One thing I've found that helps me is to research an item before I sink any capital into it. If there's 3 copies in every Auction, Metro has 6 copies, and eBay has 19 copies, it likely isn't going to be a viable option for the laptop warrior like yourself. The census was mentioned earlier as a resource tool..... a good simple application is to take 3 or 4 titles that you like, and go through the BA and CA eras looking for issues that have no copies slabbed in 9.8.... or even better, copies that have no issues slabbed at all. Find them in the wild in high grade and slab them. Rinse and repeat. GOD BLESS...

This assumes one has the ability to perform the research, interpret and analyze the research, and make well reasoned decisions based on that research. It relies on a certain level of basic math and accounting that just can't be assumed in this case.

Maybe but I do better with example of visual aids to help with that.

Step 1 - Buy comic.

Step 2 - ?

Step 3 - Profit

Step 2 - Sell comic

In an earlier post you mentioned you and a friend were in a competition in selling comics and that he was leading you. Are you still in this competition? Is this also one of the reasons you don't want to give up selling?

That is one of the reasons and the person is smoking me in this competition and it's until 2017.

That kind of explains why you're going after higher dollar bills instead of cheaper books. You should just give up on that contest.

It sure does sound like laziness. Basically you want someone else to do the homework for you because it'll save you time.

Again the answer is no I'll explain again.

I ask for other people's advice because they do things quickly and more efficiently then I can so am I being lazy by wanting to save time on things that take longer then they should? I would happily help someone save time if they asked about something I know. I don't believe in being greedy with knowledge unless it's something like a honey hole or trade secret type thing then I understand. Am I to assume you never asked any boardie here for help? You never asked how to do something quicker and more efficiently? I find that hard to believe. You among all people should know this that I'm not being lazy by doing this I'm asking for tips not asking for someone to do everything for me. You yourself admitted that I lack common sense so when I try to ask for help with something I didn't think of yet you call me lazy for doing it.

Step 1 - Buy comic.

Step 2 - ?

Step 3 - Profit

Step 2 - Sell comic

That kind of explains why you're going after higher dollar bills instead of cheaper books. You should just give up on that contest.

That would be a reason yes but I'm not giving up there's more then one way to do this.

Again the answer is no I'll explain again.

I ask for other people's advice because they do things quickly and more efficiently then I can so am I being lazy by wanting to save time on things that take longer then they should? I would happily help someone save time if they asked about something I know. I don't believe in being greedy with knowledge unless it's something like a honey hole or trade secret type thing then I understand. Am I to assume you never asked any boardie here for help? You never asked how to do something quicker and more efficiently? I find that hard to believe. You among all people should know this that I'm not being lazy by doing this I'm asking for tips not asking for someone to do everything for me. You yourself admitted that I lack common sense so when I try to ask for help with something I didn't think of yet you call me lazy for doing it.

I can assure you that I do not go looking for advice on an Internet board. I'm saying you are lazy because you don't want to take the time to read the speculator threads because they're "too overwhelming". If you can read and respond to all of the post in this thread then I'm sure you can read the posts in the other thread.

GABE.....

This assumes one has the ability to perform the research, interpret and analyze the research, and make well reasoned decisions based on that research. It relies on a certain level of basic math and accounting that just can't be assumed in this case.

Maybe but I do better with example of visual aids to help with that.

Like the kind of visual aids found in a textbook? Or the kind of visual aids used in a classroom setting? Sadly Canada has abandoned business classes entirely, and now only teaches classes about poutine, Wayne Gretzky, and Drake.

Even so, you can learn most anything taking free classes online or even watching YouTube videos. The things you DON'T know about business are extremely basic and extremely integral to your success. You can go at your own pace, but you gotta keep moving forward (and I don't mean buying more high value comics). Honestly evaluate why you've lost money so far, identify those reasons, and address those reasons in terms of viable solutions.

Edited by Revat

See my Step 1 again:

Will you like it? No.

Will it feel good? No.

What is your answer?

He's never going to follow your plan, NEVER. Knowing this, I think the best way is for him to just do what he's doing now, only better.

What's he supposed to save up for when he earning minimum wage working 20 hours a week..a new car? Down payment on a house?

Your wrong about me not following James's plan but you have a point as well in making money with comics if I learn how to make money with comics while at the same time following the budget strategy I'll be killing two birds with one stone as my other mistakes are emotion based impulse buys and desperation of not getting in on a deal quick enough.

You're going to flip comics on a budget of $11 per week?

Good luck with that.

8 8