• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Everyone here knows what his problem is - it's himself. Even he admits it.

He lacks self-control and he lets his emotions and impulses run his decisions.

Call it whatever you will, but it has nothing to do with comicbooks.

So no amount of comic industry or buying/selling "education' will change any of the core problem that affects EVERYTHING in his life, from his job, to his attitude to his spending.

It's not an excuse, so if you object to calling it a compulsion or an addiction or simply being lazy - fine whatever - no matter what you call it none of those names are an excuse in any way whatsoever.

So you all can try to help him be a "smarter" comicbook flipper, but that does nothing for what is keeping him near poverty with a part-time job and a pisspoor "it's not my fault" attitude.

That's not an addiction. He just repeatedly makes very bad decisions.

A rose by any other name smells just as sweet, and a compulsion by any other name ruins just the same.

It's not a compulsion. He already established that he has set a limit on his spending. His limit is just too high and his purchases are stupid. That's not an addiction. Calling it such does him a disservice as it gives him another excuse as to why he is failing so miserably.

That's why I gave him a limit that HE isn't comfortable with and asked him to agree yes or no to it.

If he says yes, he has no excuse for overspending.

If he says no, he still has no excuse overspending.

Buying a ragged-raw Stormwatcher #3 for $6 is a "stupid" purchase - but it doesn't risk destroying him financially. He can still learn about comics while on a VERY tight and uncomfortable budget and make the inevitable mistakes that come with learning along the way.

I'm not giving him an excuse by explaining the reality of his own current inability to control his impulses. He says he set a limit - just that the limit is too high. Then that's not a limit.

At this point, he has no real limit because, as you said, it's still WAY too high for his income and his situation (near poverty).

And WHY is it still way too high?

Because he won't control himself.

Now is his chance to either admit that he WON'T control himself (take the hours-worth-of-pay/week budget) or that he WILL control himself even when he's uncomfortable with it.

Let me ask you - do YOU think he has good self-control when it comes to comic-spending?

What is more important for his whole life, learning to control his impulses, or learning to buy better books?

He's not going to limit himself to 1 hour of minimum wage per week to spend on comics. Jus not going to happen.

I don't think he has good self-control in ANY aspect of his life. He has already admitted an unwillingness to even groom himself properly. He gets mad and loses jobs if people don't "treat him right."

He is not living in poverty. He is living at home being enabled.

The only thing that would show self control would be for him to stop buying comics entirely because he is awful at it.

I was defending him when he first got here. I'm not anymore. At some point you have to realize what is and is not working for you. He refuses to do that.

He gets tons of advice on here and he ignores it. Does he delete his disastrous linkedin profile as previously suggested? No. Does he stop posting inane right wing videos? No. Does he remove his full actual name from youtube? No. Does he bother to read the hot books threads to find inexpensive books to hunt for and flip? No. Instead he does whatever he wants. There is no addiction here. There are just MANY BAD DECISIONS!!!

He's not going to limit himself to 1 hour of minimum wage per week to spend on comics. Jus not going to happen.

I don't think he has good self-control in ANY aspect of his life. He has already admitted an unwillingness to even groom himself properly. He gets mad and loses jobs if people don't "treat him right."

He is not living in poverty. [technically, given his income, he probably falls near the poverty level for a single person, but that's beside the point] He is living at home being enabled.

The only thing that would show self control would be for him to stop buying comics entirely because he is awful at it.

I was defending him when he first got here. I'm not anymore. At some point you have to realize what is and is not working for you. He refuses to do that.

He gets tons of advice on here and he ignores it. Does he delete his disastrous linkedin profile as previously suggested? No. Does he stop posting inane right wing videos? No. Does he remove his full actual name from youtube? No. Does he bother to read the hot books threads to find inexpensive books to hunt for and flip? No. Instead he does whatever he wants. There is no addiction here. There are just MANY BAD DECISIONS!!!

I agree 100% and like I said - call it what you want, it's all on him.

I just want to see him say "Yes" or "No" to what I asked him.

Say it.

SAY IT!!!

DID YOU ORDER THE CODE RED???!!!!

:gossip: A fool and his money are soon parted.

:gossip: Unless they learn self-control.

THAT is what this is all about. It's not about becoming a better buyer, it's about him learning how to control his emotions and his impulses, period.

It doesn't matter how much money he has. It doesn't matter how much knowledge he has. If he can't learn to control his impulses and emotions - it doesn't matter how knowledgeable about comics he becomes.

There is a LCS in the area run by a greedy lying owner who is very knowledgeable and experienced about buying/grading/selling comics, but his emotions and his lack of character are ruining him and his business.

You are trying to teach Gabe about the comics business, I'm trying to teach him about himself.

Everything you're saying is going to fall on deaf ears. The bottom line is he says he isn't going to stop. As long as he's going to continue, isn't it better to point him in the right direction? Telling him to spend $7 a week is the same as telling him to stop and he already said he isn't going to stop.

Everything you're saying is going to fall on deaf ears. The bottom line is he says he isn't going to stop. As long as he's going to continue, isn't it better to point him in the right direction? Telling him to spend $7 a week is the same as telling him to stop and he already said he isn't going to stop.

I agree.

If he wants to impose his own dysfunctional limit on himself, all he as to do is say he doesn't want to improve the ONE thing in his life that will affect EVERYTHING in his life.

GABE.....

You're not going to make a living flipping "flavor o' the month" keys at 1K a pop. Sure, they're cool and someone will buy it.... but it's the profit that counts. Where you're going to find opportunities for a healthy profit is in sales at the $20 to $200 level (give or take...). One thing I've found that helps me is to research an item before I sink any capital into it. If there's 3 copies in every Auction, Metro has 6 copies, and eBay has 19 copies, it likely isn't going to be a viable option for the laptop warrior like yourself. The census was mentioned earlier as a resource tool..... a good simple application is to take 3 or 4 titles that you like, and go through the BA and CA eras looking for issues that have no copies slabbed in 9.8.... or even better, copies that have no issues slabbed at all. Find them in the wild in high grade and slab them. Rinse and repeat. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

GABE.....

You're not going to make a living flipping "flavor o' the month" keys at 1K a pop. Sure, they're cool and someone will buy it.... but it's the profit that counts. Where you're going to find opportunities for a healthy profit is in sales at the $20 to $200 level (give or take...). One thing I've found that helps me is to research an item before I sink any capital into it. If there's 3 copies in every Auction, Metro has 6 copies, and eBay has 19 copies, it likely isn't going to be a viable option for the laptop warrior like yourself. The census was mentioned earlier as a resource tool..... a good simple application is to take 3 or 4 titles that you like, and go through the BA and CA eras looking for issues that have no copies slabbed in 9.8.... or even better, copies that have no issues slabbed at all. Find them in the wild in high grade and slab them. Rinse and repeat. GOD BLESS...

This assumes one has the ability to perform the research, interpret and analyze the research, and make well reasoned decisions based on that research. It relies on a certain level of basic math and accounting that just can't be assumed in this case.

GABE.....

This assumes one has the ability to perform the research, interpret and analyze the research, and make well reasoned decisions based on that research. It relies on a certain level of basic math and accounting that just can't be assumed in this case.

He was asking for tips on how to organize data so he wouldn't be overwhelmed. While the above is not a bad idea, I think it might be a little too advanced for him at this time.

The answer to the problem is simple. Crack it out, and list it on ebay as a nm.

You think so? But people would get angry if it wasn't unless I would say it's my opinion.

He was joking. Don't do this.

That's correct.

I'll get it pressed and regraded because I have a presser that assured me that he can do it but in that case something happens he'll pay for the comic.

Show your math for this please. Just because you can press a book doesn't mean its worth while. Show all costs you will have to pay.

OK

ASM 129 CGC 8.0

Paid $956

Expected grade 8.5

Last sale $1200

90 day average $1075

Costs of cpr

Shipping $30

Pressing $15

Grading $75

Total

956+30+15+75 = 1076 which is 1 dollar over the 90 gpa average of a 8.5

Expected value

Now I would take the expected value and take it away from how much everything cost me

1200-1075 = $125 profit

Does the cost of grading above (75$) include return shipping to Canada? Selling for 1200 =/= (does not equal 1200 in your PayPal, but rather 1153.20 at 3.9% fee).

Gabe your presser may tell you he can get you a bump but what happens if it stays an 8.0? What happens if drops are you financially safe to lose another 150 for an 8.0 or like 350 if it drops to a 7.5?

I would have to check again as I believe he would cover the difference should that happen. The 75 would cover shipping and the return cost to Canada. Would I be able to handle the financial loss? I would but I wouldn't like it.

CGC's base rate for return shipping to Canada is via FedEx international @ $60 USD. You can't grade this book for $15. What grading tier are you planning to submit this book under? Economy? I don't think that will fly with CGC but you can try...mean it has to go standard which is $53 with a 20% dealer discount (do you get the 20% discount?). Leaving you with $22 for return shipping...Not sure that's possible.

I would submit this comic under the standard tier which is $60 usd and though I'm not a dealer the presser I would use has a 20% discount and it's been a while since I used cgc but I know there's a cheaper shipping option I'll check my invoices as the closest comparable would be my ba12 cgc 9.6

If you're flipping books, you should know all of the costs involved with pressing & grading like the back of your hand.

You should also know that a presser has no control over CGC's grading and as such, will not "cover the difference" if a book drops in grade after it is re-subbed.

The only conceivable way a presser in his right mind would cover a drop in grade is if he damaged the book, while working on it, or while the book was in his possession.

Books that have been CPR'd by competent pressers rarely drop in grade, however they do, on some occasions...be it a change in grading standards since the book was originally graded or something along those lines.

As if all of this wasn't ridiculous in the first place....you do realize that no competent presser will press a book with a FMV of around $1000 for fifteen bucks, without a lag time of several months?

I would not touch this book for less than $50, but that's besides the point.

CCS charges $60 for pressing books of this sort of FMV, with an actual turn around time of about one month.

The best case scenario is that you ship this slab to your presser...after paying over $100 (or more), you are able to sell this book for a profit of less than $100....if you get an 8.5

Assuming the book is actually a good pressing candidate...overlooking the fact you bought it off eBay and were not able to see subtle bends etc up close/in hand...even then, you have to have a very good eye (and understand the mechanics of paper, humidification, heat and pressure) to see pressable defects.

Even if you have such a good eye, it is hard to tell the extent of such defects when the book is encapsulated.

By some strange feat of luck and beating the lofty odds involved with this CPR project of yours, let's say that you get back an 8.5.

That will take about 4 months of having a $1000 tied up, to make a profit of about fifty bucks.

....and that is if you are lucky, and you don't get back an 8.0...or a 7.5.

I don't see where 4 months is coming from but what I see getting is a 8.5. I went over the comic when I got it and saw lots of pressable defects and also cgc didn't note the staple tear for whatever reason.

Which means it may have happened after the book was encapsulated.

So how would I prove that it happened before I got it?

8 8