• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Today's thoughts

Yay the ba12 I got looks awesome

Thoughts and plans

I'm going to get my ba12 signed, pressed and graded by a presser/cgc witness and hopefully the comic will be signed by Bruce Timm at a con somewhere :)

Why? You are going to be reselling it. Having it signed by Bruce Timm will decrease the number of potential buyers. Most people don't know who he is.

Really? SS copies of this book consistently sell for higher than their blue label counterparts.

Even if it can sell for a little more, there's no question that the pool of buyers is significantly reduced; especially since he said it's not a 9.8 candidate. I think he's better off with a quick flip than taking the extra time and expense of SS and then finding that specialized buyer who wants a SS 9.0.

Today's thoughts

Thoughts and plans

I'm going to get my ba12 signed, pressed and graded by a presser/cgc witness and hopefully the comic will be signed by Bruce Timm at a con somewhere :)

Why? You are going to be reselling it. Having it signed by Bruce Timm will decrease the number of potential buyers. Most people don't know who he is.

Really? SS copies of this book consistently sell for higher than their blue label counterparts.

Even if it can sell for a little more, there's no question that the pool of buyers is significantly reduced; especially since he said it's not a 9.8 candidate. I think he's better off with a quick flip than taking the extra time and expense of SS and then finding that specialized buyer who wants a SS 9.0.

Bruce Timm is very popular at comic shows - this a great example of a book where getting it SS'ed makes it both more desirable and more valuable. It's a no-brainer considering the book isn't currently slabbed.

The modern/copper SS market isn't the same as the SS market for older books - for the vast, vast majority of hot modern/copper books, having the book SS'ed is a net positive in every regard.

Today's thoughts

Thoughts and plans

Bruce Timm is very popular at comic shows - this a great example of a book where getting it SS'ed makes it both more desirable and more valuable. It's a no-brainer considering the book isn't currently slabbed.

The modern/copper SS market isn't the same as the SS market for older books - for the vast, vast majority of hot modern/copper books, having the book SS'ed is a net positive in every regard.

Good to know. Definitely not my area.

Today's thoughts

Thoughts and plans

Thanks those were along the same lines that I was thinking on to add to that he's the co-creator of harley quinn and the suicide squad movie is coming soon.

Today's thoughts

Thoughts and plans

But is the risk, additional cost and time worth the increase in value? Especially given the canadianness of the situation (dollar issues, additional shipping times, etc). Your realized price might be higher, but the turnaround time might be longer for to get your comic back as well as selling time once in hand.

Please please consider these issues before getting the signature. It's not always about pure dollar value return either, percentage return is a consideration too as well as turnaround time.

Today's thoughts

Thoughts and plans

But is the risk, additional cost and time worth the increase in value? Especially given the canadianness of the situation (dollar issues, additional shipping times, etc). Your realized price might be higher, but the turnaround time might be longer for to get your comic back as well as selling time once in hand.

Please please consider these issues before getting the signature. It's not always about pure dollar value return either, percentage return is a consideration too as well as turnaround time.

THIS.

Sure, a Timm signature is cool and all but factor in our dollar right now, the exchange rate is about $1.31 CDN for $1 USD - It is going to cost you that much more for the sig, it is going to cost you cash for pressing (I'm assuming your presser is Canadian?), that much more for grading, that much more for shipping then you have to wait to line up the sig then you have to wait to get it back. How long are you willing to wait to be able to flip it when you could just spend a bit more to fast track it, get it back waaay sooner and just sell it?

Also, where did you get it from? I'm assuming the seller had some idea as to its value so by the time you factor in your up front costs, costs to get it signed, shipped, the exchange rate, etc and the waiting are you SURE it is really "worth it"?

With the dollar and wait times I am being far more selective in what I opt to even get graded at all...

Good luck!

Sure, a Timm signature is cool and all but factor in our dollar right now, the exchange rate is about $1.31 CDN for $1 USD - It is going to cost you that much more for the sig, it is going to cost you cash for pressing (I'm assuming your presser is Canadian?), that much more for grading, that much more for shipping then you have to wait to line up the sig then you have to wait to get it back. How long are you willing to wait to be able to flip it when you could just spend a bit more to fast track it, get it back waaay sooner and just sell it?

Also, where did you get it from? I'm assuming the seller had some idea as to its value so by the time you factor in your up front costs, costs to get it signed, shipped, the exchange rate, etc and the waiting are you SURE it is really "worth it"?

With the dollar and wait times I am being far more selective in what I opt to even get graded at all...

Good luck!

Hey - this is real sound advice -

Looking over GPA - the very best bump you will get for this book as a SS would be ~ 100 to 300, and this is somewhat based on grade. There is not a ton of SS data - but the 9.8 is in the 300 range - 9.0 may be closer to 100 (though not any real data on 9.2 and below for timm only) .

What is the cost for the sig/extra shipping for the sig? - and when will he be signing next at a location that you can get a SS (does not look like he is currently listed anywhere)?.....

Also have to consider if you will only press/slab IF it gets a sig - or no matter what.

Will the book jump in value by at least $75 for slabbing alone (cost of a press and standard submission if this is indeed a 9.0+ candidate) ? - or would it be better to get a good raw price out of it and get that $$$ back into more books. At $75 - you are really just breaking even (or worse with shipping) for the investment required.

Get into a habit of really examining the numbers for slabbing any books (SS or otherwise). Some books - are well worth it and this one may be in that ballpark, but you really need to set a strategy for this. If you are going to continue to keep focusing on single issues - the margins are TIGHT as you do not have volume to deal with (if you but a 3000 book collection - you can lose money on some books as you will make it ip on others) . Something like-- (I am using some ballpark estimates for the BA 12)

cost of book: $400

estimated grade: 9.0

what I can sell for now : $500 (use ebay as a reference for similar books)

seller fees: 65

potential profit: 35

slab/press costs: 85 (press/standard and shipping)

cgc range 9.0-9.4

slabbed sales - 528/600/725 (use reasonable GPA average numbers - not just the highest)

seller fees 70/78/95

potential profit -27/ 37/ 145

keep in mind - pretty much estimating all the numbers here - you will need to fill in your own "blanks" (and then track to these numbers so you can see if your estimating correctly)

For the example - you are investing $85. If the book stays the same grade - you lose money - if it gets a good bump you may make 145 total. At a 9.2 --- you make the same as an unslabbed book- PLUS - you cannot sell the book until it is back in your hands.

The numbers - have to be your own here - the most accurate ones I have above are the slabbed selling from GPA. If you have many books you want to analyze - then put them into a spreadsheet to see what is slabworthy.

The more you trust your ability to predict CGC grades - and how much a press may improve the grade - the more risk you can take. This example (as I laid out - not the exact book you have) - I would not slab unless I was going to keep for my collection. I would sell raw - it can turn quick - and moderns are easier to grade raw. Plus - while the book is HOT now - the closer you get to the movie, the more likely you will see a lot of these come out both graded and raw - than can quickly deflate that price. /

Good luck!

Hey - this is real sound advice -

Looking over GPA - the very best bump you will get for this book as a SS would be ~ 100 to 300, and this is somewhat based on grade. There is not a ton of SS data - but the 9.8 is in the 300 range - 9.0 may be closer to 100 (though not any real data on 9.2 and below for timm only) .

What is the cost for the sig/extra shipping for the sig? - and when will he be signing next at a location that you can get a SS (does not look like he is currently listed anywhere)?.....

Also have to consider if you will only press/slab IF it gets a sig - or no matter what.

Will the book jump in value by at least $75 for slabbing alone (cost of a press and standard submission if this is indeed a 9.0+ candidate) ? - or would it be better to get a good raw price out of it and get that $$$ back into more books. At $75 - you are really just breaking even (or worse with shipping) for the investment required.

Get into a habit of really examining the numbers for slabbing any books (SS or otherwise). Some books - are well worth it and this one may be in that ballpark, but you really need to set a strategy for this. If you are going to continue to keep focusing on single issues - the margins are TIGHT as you do not have volume to deal with (if you but a 3000 book collection - you can lose money on some books as you will make it ip on others) . Something like-- (I am using some ballpark estimates for the BA 12)

cost of book: $400

estimated grade: 9.0

what I can sell for now : $500 (use ebay as a reference for similar books)

seller fees: 65

potential profit: 35

slab/press costs: 85 (press/standard and shipping)

cgc range 9.0-9.4

slabbed sales - 528/600/725 (use reasonable GPA average numbers - not just the highest)

seller fees 70/78/95

potential profit -27/ 37/ 145

keep in mind - pretty much estimating all the numbers here - you will need to fill in your own "blanks" (and then track to these numbers so you can see if your estimating correctly)

For the example - you are investing $85. If the book stays the same grade - you lose money - if it gets a good bump you may make 145 total. At a 9.2 --- you make the same as an unslabbed book- PLUS - you cannot sell the book until it is back in your hands.

The numbers - have to be your own here - the most accurate ones I have above are the slabbed selling from GPA. If you have many books you want to analyze - then put them into a spreadsheet to see what is slabworthy.

The more you trust your ability to predict CGC grades - and how much a press may improve the grade - the more risk you can take. This example (as I laid out - not the exact book you have) - I would not slab unless I was going to keep for my collection. I would sell raw - it can turn quick - and moderns are easier to grade raw. Plus - while the book is HOT now - the closer you get to the movie, the more likely you will see a lot of these come out both graded and raw - than can quickly deflate that price. /

I usually add it all together in one big bunch instead of separating all these numbers but I'll try it this way too thanks

Today's thoughts

Thoughts and plans

I did think about that but according to how the trade went I'll be breaking even if it would get a 9.0 blue label so I'm getting is signed to get more money out of it plus no one even gave it a grade yet :(

Ok...

So you traded for it and you say that you will only be breaking even on it (what all did you trade?)...Maybe it is time to just get it pressed and graded, forget the sig and just recoup your "costs" ASAP and move on. I mean, it is a great book but if you are at a break even now, every bit of extra cash + wait time you throw into it for a potential bump is costing you the longer it "sits".

Today's thoughts

Thoughts and plans

I did think about that but according to how the trade went I'll be breaking even if it would get a 9.0 blue label so I'm getting is signed to get more money out of it plus no one even gave it a grade yet :(

Ok...

So you traded for it and you say that you will only be breaking even on it (what all did you trade?)...Maybe it is time to just get it pressed and graded, forget the sig and just recoup your "costs" ASAP and move on. I mean, it is a great book but if you are at a break even now, every bit of extra cash + wait time you throw into it for a potential bump is costing you the longer it "sits".

I'm thinking your right about this and what I traded for this ba12 is a asm 129 cgc 9.0

I'm thinking your right about this and what I traded for this ba12 is a asm 129 cgc 9.0

Am I missing something? You traded a CGC 9.0 ASM #129 for a raw potential 9.0 BA #12? That sounds like an absolutely terrible trade for you.

Am I missing something? You traded a CGC 9.0 ASM #129 for a raw potential 9.0 BA #12? That sounds like an absolutely terrible trade for you.

This thread is so unbelievable. It reminds me of a "real life version" of the show "The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret" but with comic books instead of energy drinks.

Today's thoughts

Thoughts and plans

Ok...

:o:facepalm:

Today's thoughts

Thoughts and plans

Ok...

:o:facepalm:

Holy cow are you kidding me? Dude maybe you should collect for fun and enjoyment. This business is not for you.

Today's thoughts

Thoughts and plans

Ok...

You mean an ASM #121, right?

Yes on my part it wasn't a good trade

Today's thoughts

Thoughts and plans

Ok...

You mean an ASM #121, right?

no I mean a asm 129

This thread is so unbelievable. It reminds me of a "real life version" of the show "The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret" but with comic books instead of energy drinks.

haha yeah I do make lots of mistakes but I'm getting better.

8 8