• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

So, to be clear, you currently have a job right?

No shame in minimum wage work, but are you pulling decent hours?

How many hours per week would you "guesstimate" that you spend scouring the internet and other venues looking for "deals"?

To be clear I have a job but my hours have been cut so I won't be working there much longer. I never checked how long I search for deals but at least 10 hours a week.

Also, I'm not sure if you look at it this way, but there is an old saying, time is money. Even at minimum wage, those 10 hours per week, spent looking for deals "cost you" about $450 per month.

$11.25 minimum wage in Ontario x 10 hours per week x 4 (roughly) weeks in a month

That equation only works if you are passing up making money by spending time online. He is missing out on time spent researching job boards, thinking about ways to make money doing stuff he likes (spending time on the computer) that doesn't involve risks.

Fair point. Completely agree time would be better spent looking for other work...

maybe he's looking while on the job.

I would be. He doesn't strike me as the motivated type though

Truth be told many things I'm not motivated for.

There is always manual labor. It pays well, and you have to sweat, but if you want something bad enough, you will sweat. That money you put away to do what your passion is will not be in vain.

It's the unwillingness to buckle down and do something you don't like that sets apart those that succeed with those that don't.

I spent 10 years doing a job in an industry I loathed. I dealt with people that disgusted me.

It bought me a house, I met my wife, and while I am currently unemployed, it gave me the skills to better myself and the chance to think about what direction I want my retirement to take.

All it took was a little sweat and perseverance.

:gossip: Not going to happen. OP stated awhile ago that he can't do physical labour - Can't remember the reason might be legit physical issue but don't want to crawl through a million pages.

There is a pattern though, everything is always someone else's fault, from being scammed to crappy employment counselor to horrible bosses, etc., etc., etc.

I don't doubt the OP has real challenges, but the OP has received TONS of kind advice ranging from job prep and search help, even buying advice (start small) and the OP chooses to ignore it and to continue his pursuit of "the big score" while not yet having a secure and independent foundation established for himself nor the knowledge to truly be successful in this.

That is what irks a lot of people. We all want the OP to succeed, just all the signs point to this comic dealing as more of a distraction than a real benefit at this time, but the OP is going to do what the OP is going to do.

Yes, I've noticed that trend since OP first posted here. Damaged case, too common these days

I wouldn't say that just lots of things I need to deal with.

It's called life

How many hours per week would you "guesstimate" that you spend scouring the internet and other venues looking for "deals"?

To be clear I have a job but my hours have been cut so I won't be working there much longer. I never checked how long I search for deals but at least 10 hours a week.

Also, I'm not sure if you look at it this way, but there is an old saying, time is money. Even at minimum wage, those 10 hours per week, spent looking for deals "cost you" about $450 per month.

$11.25 minimum wage in Ontario x 10 hours per week x 4 (roughly) weeks in a month

That equation only works if you are passing up making money by spending time online. He is missing out on time spent researching job boards, thinking about ways to make money doing stuff he likes (spending time on the computer) that doesn't involve risks.

Fair point. Completely agree time would be better spent looking for other work...

That is very apparent. What exactly is it that you want to do with your life?

boobies?

be careful what you ask for.....

636973c9cafa230cb57d6a1acad5faf1.jpg

on the more serious side -

Gabriel -

If you need a secondary income - get that second REAL part time job. Mix it up - and try to get at least one of them in an area that can turn into full time.

Honestly - food service is actually a great area. I believe you have a job as a dishwasher, right? - are you the BEST dishwasher they have? if not - what will it take to get there AND ATTITUDE IS INCLUDED in that aspect. If you are ( or become) one of their better performers and have a working relationship with your boss - you can ask for more hours. If they say no - ask them what needs improvement in order for you to get more hours. If more hours at that position are not available - you can then ask if there are other areas where you can help out. If you make yourself a VALUABLE employee - there will be opportunities - or at least you will be able to jump in to a different restaurant with skills and experience.

as for comics....

You have repeatedly ignored sound advice from those with a LOT of knowledge.

You keep trying to make the big scores - without understanding the nuances of the business. Buying collections and breaking them up --- HELPS YOU LEARN.

The model you keep chasing will burn you and probably already has.

In one of the posts - you had a bank account of 20K+ - now in the 3K range.

Was this the same timeline as your comic book speculations???? - look at what the accounts were when you started and now - if you do not have real overall profit - then you have to realize what you are doing is NOT working.

recommendations -

I would steer clear from comics until AFTER you have a stable working situation that can support you. Comics - should NOT be something you depend on for income. If it is not providing a significant % of your income now (from PROFIT - not just sales) - then it is hurting you - not helping.

when you RETURN to comics

1. Do not do third party deals. The description of the BATB deal - really seems to be a recipe for disaster.

2. If you cannot afford to make a purchase 100% on your own - do not do it.

3. Never put more than 20% of your working cash into a single deal ( one book or a collection - does not matter).

4. LEARN TO GRADE. Seriously - your TEC in ebay - still has up to 4 grades associated with it ( 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 and 4.0) ...... pick one and price appropriately. This is a skill you need to buy and sell comics. You do not have to be the best - but the better you get - the bigger margins you will be able to maintain.

5. START SMALL SO YOU CAN LEARN.... mistakes on a $10 book hurt a lot less than a $1000 book. If you buy collections - the inventory costs are spread out. If you cannot figure out how to turn a profit hunting down groups of $5 - $10 books that you will not be able to do so with the big ones.

I will probably copy and past that last one many more times as you continue to progress. Buying collections and breaking them apart - is one of the very best ways to start. Yes - profits are small in the beginning - but you learn how to evaluate purchases. How to identify the better books. How to process all of it for sale. How and where are the best locations to sell the various tiers of books. When you get the routine and process down to what works for you - the profits go up as you can increase your buy/sell rate with confidence and experience. Right now - it seems more like you are guessing at what to do with $1000+ at a time........

Yeah I'll be done with Kelsey soon I'm not very happy with it.

The timeline is what I spent on college and comic books and I used what grades were given to me when I asked the boardies here. A update on the bb28 is that it arrived and I already shipped it to my friend. As for the money that I can spend it varies but wouldn't it be better as all the risk isn't on you anymore?

Grading I know is a important skill that I work on but this is a perfect example because I graded it a 2.0/2.5 and I got many answers so I went with the most used ones which were 2.0/2.5 and 3.0 I got told that it's better to be general on ebay then give a exact grade as people then can't say it's not as described.

I have small comics that I bought and the thing that's selling are my bigger comics and it's the same thing with my video games the big ones are already gone but I understand what you're saying with minimizing the risk investment.

What do you mean I'm struggling with the 1000 dollar purchase? The BB28? Actually it went smoothly till UPS was playing games with the package but in the end I did get it after I said I'd report him to his manger to get him fired because honestly I've had it with him, I've been a pushover for a long time and I've made many mistakes and learned from most of them. I should have listened to the advice Rick gave me to not be so kind and believing with others because business is business well I'm learning the hard way for sure.

There is always manual labor. It pays well, and you have to sweat, but if you want something bad enough, you will sweat. That money you put away to do what your passion is will not be in vain.

It's the unwillingness to buckle down and do something you don't like that sets apart those that succeed with those that don't.

I spent 10 years doing a job in an industry I loathed. I dealt with people that disgusted me.

It bought me a house, I met my wife, and while I am currently unemployed, it gave me the skills to better myself and the chance to think about what direction I want my retirement to take.

All it took was a little sweat and perseverance.

:gossip: Not going to happen. OP stated awhile ago that he can't do physical labour - Can't remember the reason might be legit physical issue but don't want to crawl through a million pages.

There is a pattern though, everything is always someone else's fault, from being scammed to crappy employment counselor to horrible bosses, etc., etc., etc.

I don't doubt the OP has real challenges, but the OP has received TONS of kind advice ranging from job prep and search help, even buying advice (start small) and the OP chooses to ignore it and to continue his pursuit of "the big score" while not yet having a secure and independent foundation established for himself nor the knowledge to truly be successful in this.

That is what irks a lot of people. We all want the OP to succeed, just all the signs point to this comic dealing as more of a distraction than a real benefit at this time, but the OP is going to do what the OP is going to do.

Yes, I've noticed that trend since OP first posted here. Damaged case, too common these days

I wouldn't say that just lots of things I need to deal with.

It's called life

No exactly what I meant by that I meant with myself.

That is very apparent. What exactly is it that you want to do with your life?

No clue but I can tell you two things I like and that's helping people and making money.

Well common sense dictates that those actually are polar opposites. While I imagine you can do both, just stating that isn't at all helpful.

Do you have any skills whatsoever? Have you passed high school?

What do you do with your time? Do you spend all your time doing stuff that other people tell you to do?

Well common sense dictates that those actually are polar opposites. While I imagine you can do both, just stating that isn't at all helpful.

Do you have any skills whatsoever? Have you passed high school?

What do you do with your time? Do you spend all your time doing stuff that other people tell you to do?

Yeah I figured someone would say that and it's true I have thought about being a therapist or doctor but those didn't turn out, so then I decided on counselor but you need psychology to get that job.

I have passed high school and did some college and what I do in my spare time is play video games, look for deals and catch up on sleep.

I might get in trouble for some of what I am going to say but...OP has officially pissed me off.

You have patience that I will never attain because I'd never work at a place I hate for 10 years.

And that, ladies and gentleman, is the essence of the problem right there. OP, are you still on social assistance and/or living with your parents? You talk about wanting to get out of "generations of poverty" but you are not willing to do whatever it takes to elevate yourself. You are not even doing the minimum.

Doing mess you don't like is a part of being an adult.

I don't blame things on everyone else many of those are my fault but not all of them.

Do you even read what you type before you post it?

Yes most give great advice but I have conflicting answers for example I have a job now but I've been told three things: 1.This isn't your thing quit 2. Start small and work your way up 3. Come back later when I have more stability

You work 20-25 hours a week. You barely have a job. You are not even really looking for another one. Regardless of the 'conflicting advice' the one thing everyone has said that you continue to ignore is to stop chasing 'the big score'. I vote you quit until you can stand on your own two feet,when you are not subsidized.

:facepalm:

I missed the part about voice acting classes...

What's wrong with that? It's lucrative as well.

You have "Peter Pan" syndrome. You don't want to grow up and you are just looking to invest minimal time in the hopes to land a "kewl" job. Have you done any kind of research into how hard it is to break into the business or even how to? Do you know how many talented actors are out there working other jobs while they chase their dream? Tell me, what was your "plan" for this? You admittedly stated you lack some essential skills. Your time and money would be better spent developing basic skills.

I spend 5 hours a week looking for other jobs and I enjoy looking for deals.

5 hours a week? That's it? You work a mere 20-25 hours per week, if you REALLY wanted to better your situation you should be looking a hell of a lot more than 5 hours a week.

That is abundantly clear to everyone. That is a great thing to admit to publicly, especially someone feeding off the government teat.

I have passed high school and did some college and what I do in my spare time is play video games, look for deals and catch up on sleep.

You have nothing but spare time. Catch up on sleep? Are you freaking serious? Why? From staying up too late playing video games and cruising online? And you wonder why nothing is getting better for you.

I know you have some "challenges" but seriously, everything you outlined above is a recipe for failure. People who plan their life around "winning the lottery" usually don't end up too well.

His signature states to buy and sell a million dollar book, to buy and sell a million dollar coin.

The link for his kudos page is the front page of the forum.

I have no idea what his condition is, but living in reality is part of it. Waste of breath.

Just skimming the thread for the first time, and I must say, I agree with Metal and Web-Crawler. You seem like a lost cause, but I'll give some advice anyway, because you remind me of myself at your age. Lazy.

1. Sell your remaining comics and put the money aside, or at the very least, don't plan on buying any books until you get your mess together.

2. Give up gaming completely for the foreseeable future. Spend every minute you would be playing video games looking for a job. There are 168 hours in a week, you work 25, that leaves 143. I'm assuming you sleep about 10 hours a day, that leaves 73 hours awake and not working. 5 hours a week out of 73 available is not nearly enough time spent searching for work.

3. Sleep 6-7 hours a night, your body gets used to it, trust me.

4. Consider going back to community college or taking night courses, there's only so far you can get without a degree. Some people become very successful without one, but they work very hard and are extremely driven. You don't and you're not.

5. This is based mostly on my own past, and may not apply, but if you smoke weed, stop.

6. Work your off and save money. Once you're in a good place, consider adding things back into your life such as occasional video games and flipping books.

I know this sounds harsh, but it's life. I wasted my time after high school hanging around, sleeping all day, not working enough, and barely scraping by in community college. Next thing you knew I was 25 still living with my parents and miserable. I made the decision to join the Coast Guard, and it was the best decision I ever made. It gave me a stable career and the discipline I was lacking. I did my 4 years and used the G.I. Bill to finish college on their dime.

I moved to Ireland only to learn that there are no entry level jobs for someone with a Bachelors degree in Environmental Science, and having U.S. military service on my C.V. doesn't mean or give you a leg up like it can in the States. What am I doing now? I work in a call center making €22,000 a year and am working on a masters at night. Do I enjoy my work? hell no, does it pay well? absolutely not, but its all I can get at the moment so I work hard and have a good attitude about it. Maybe I can progress with my current company or maybe I'll find something better when my masters is done, but you get out what you put in.

If you're not happy with your current situation, do something about it. Don't play video games, catch up on sleep, and whine about it on a comic book forum.

Get your mess together while you're still young enough so you don't end up wishing you did things differently the first time around like I sometimes do.

Just skimming the thread for the first time, and I must say, I agree with Metal and Web-Crawler. You seem like a lost cause, but I'll give some advice anyway, because you remind me of myself at your age. Lazy.

1. Sell your remaining comics and put the money aside, or at the very least, don't plan on buying any books until you get your mess together.

2. Give up gaming completely for the foreseeable future. Spend every minute you would be playing video games looking for a job. There are 168 hours in a week, you work 25, that leaves 143. I'm assuming you sleep about 10 hours a day, that leaves 73 hours awake and not working. 5 hours a week out of 73 available is not nearly enough time spent searching for work.

3. Sleep 6-7 hours a night, your body gets used to it, trust me.

4. Consider going back to community college or taking night courses, there's only so far you can get without a degree. Some people become very successful without one, but they work very hard and are extremely driven. You don't and you're not.

5. This is based mostly on my own past, and may not apply, but if you smoke weed, stop.

6. Work your off and save money. Once you're in a good place, consider adding things back into your life such as occasional video games and flipping books.

I know this sounds harsh, but it's life. I wasted my time after high school hanging around, sleeping all day, not working enough, and barely scraping by in community college. Next thing you knew I was 25 still living with my parents and miserable. I made the decision to join the Coast Guard, and it was the best decision I ever made. It gave me a stable career and the discipline I was lacking. I did my 4 years and used the G.I. Bill to finish college on their dime.

I moved to Ireland only to learn that there are no entry level jobs for someone with a Bachelors degree in Environmental Science, and having U.S. military service on my C.V. doesn't mean or give you a leg up like it can in the States. What am I doing now? I work in a call center making €22,000 a year and am working on a masters at night. Do I enjoy my work? hell no, does it pay well? absolutely not, but its all I can get at the moment so I work hard and have a good attitude about it. Maybe I can progress with my current company or maybe I'll find something better when my masters is done, but you get out what you put in.

If you're not happy with your current situation, do something about it. Don't play video games, catch up on sleep, and whine about it on a comic book forum.

Get your mess together while you're still young enough so you don't end up wishing you did things differently the first time around like I sometimes do.

Unfortunately, this anecdote is going to bounce right off the OP like dozens of other posts filled with good life advice. I'm betting there will be a sentence or two of lip service, a promise to consider what you've written, followed by absolutely no change. It's been the pattern so far.

But I read the whole thing and I want to say "Good for you!". This is certainly the attitude the OP needs to adopt. You were fortunate to recognize an issue at the age of 25, relatively early compared to some.

So what is the deal with the book? Have it in hand yet? What is the hold up exactly?

The comic came in today but UPS was playing stupid games and today the guy knocked once, dropped the package and ran off I'm just thankful the guy packed so well

So what were "the stupid games" that UPS was playing? Are you saying the guy literally DROPPED the package and literally "ran off"?

IS your friend satisfied with the book? Care to share some pics?

The games that UPS was playing was claiming they knocked on the door and no one was there all three times which is bs and finally he can again and kocked once,and literally dropped the package and ran off. What pissed me off most is he said he couldn't understand my sign that said "Knock on door #1" Pics will come tomorrow as I need to ship the comic tomorrow anyway.

Can we see a scan of the book?

Maybe I am "slow" but I am still trying to understand the nature of the deal on the BB#28.

Gabe, you made it sound like you bought the book outright on your own. We learn this is not the case.

So, what we know now (and correct me if I am wrong), you put in $500 of your own money.

Your "friend" puts in $700. This = $1200 bucks for the cost of the book.

Side Question: How did your "friend" pay the $700? Did the "friend" pay directly to the seller or did the "friend" give you a wad of cash or Paypal it to you?

The BB#28 arrives and you say this:

Pics will come tomorrow as I need to ship the comic tomorrow anyway.

Ok, so you now have the book in hand and now you are shipping it to someone else. Who are you shipping the book to? Are you shipping the book to your friend who paid the $700 or a different/new buyer? If a different/new buyer, how much did it sell for?

I actually went through a lot of this stuff with a friend recently who seems to have got off track in a life 'rut' recently. He's in a place where he's not happy, feels like he deserves more, can't get more, and seems willing to work but doesn't know where to start. I think financially he's a bit better off, but I think the advice is pretty similar.

Set some realistic goals, maybe short term first, and don't do ANYTHING that doesn't either help you meet those goals OR improve you as a person. Like nothing.

If you're a dishwasher making $10/hr, try to get to $15/hr 18th months. This might mean being very detailed while on the job, doing exercises to strengthen your hands arms, feet, legs while you're off the job. You might ask to watch other people wash dishes in your free time (maybe at different restaurants) to learn tricks, or look up videos on youtube, etc. Be the best dishwasher you can be, and you can move to better restaurants if you have to.

Or if you want to be a waiter, do everything it takes to be a waiter. In your freetime, learn about the menu and all the dishes and how they're prepared, try everything on the menu and practice describing things. Run mock waitering situations at home with your family and friends. Practice smoothly carrying things around the room. Get in shape for stamina and strength. TALK to the best waiters and learn tips and tricks, learn how they approach things.

And if you still have long term dreams of dealing comics, actively LEARN everything you can about comics and business, which is more than just hanging on these boards and reading a few new titles per month. Write letters to respected dealers, find out how they got in, what makes them tick, what tips they have for you. Make friends with your local LCS owners. Go to the library to read graphic novels for free, talk about what you like and don't like with friends. Look at deals that are made on the boards or on heritage or ebay, talk about why you think they're good deals or bad deals with other comic-savvy individuals. Don't invest money in comics during this time.

If you have any other free time, work out, learn foreign languages, learn practical skills, or READ. Learn woodworking or painting, or Chinese and French (Canada!), learn to type faster or take excel classes, around the house stuff like basic carpentry or plumbing or electrician stuff, only things that will improve your life. If you need 'fun', read REAL books, not just facebook clickbait or short articles. Preferably self improvement or strategy books or business books.

It may or may not be fair that you need to do all this stuff to move up in life when so many people seem to have it better or easier. But so many people also seem to have it worse, and have made it much farther than you. So don't think about that either way. Just do what you need to do to get better. You're still young, but all of us will tell you that it goes by in flash and you'll wish you had done more while you were young.

You don't have to do any of this or anything else anyone tells you if you're happy where you are. Plenty of people live their whole lives that way, just getting by. Pay your taxes, don't commit crimes, just surviving satisfied at whatever level they're at. Nothing wrong with that. But when you take government assistance AND claim to want MORE out of life and keep 'investing' in comics against advice, your signals come out very mixed and can be frustrating for people who are genuinely trying to help.

Fair or not, you don't have a head start in life or your career. With some of the limitations you've shared with us, its very clear it won't be easy for you to move up. But it can be done, but for someone like you, it can't be done without going ALL IN. Every ounce of energy or dollar spent is spent on survival or improving yourself in some way. You might get by, but you won't truly succeed aand advance otherwise. You might think you can get by on being nice and having heart, but Mexican immigrants in California are picking grapes and sending their kids to ivy league schools. I don't know if they're nice, I don't know if they have learning disorders or generational poverty, but I know the heart they have is punching your heart in the nuts.

Edited by Revat

Maybe I am "slow" but I am still trying to understand the nature of the deal on the BB#28.

Gabe, you made it sound like you bought the book outright on your own. We learn this is not the case.

So, what we know now (and correct me if I am wrong), you put in $500 of your own money.

Side Question: How did your "friend" pay the $700? Did the "friend" pay directly to the seller or did the "friend" give you a wad of cash or Paypal it to you?

Ok, so you now have the book in hand and now you are shipping it to someone else. Who are you shipping the book to? Are you shipping the book to your friend who paid the $700 or a different/new buyer? If a different/new buyer, how much did it sell for?

I'm not sure if I would provide a pic if I were you, at least not if you have already sold the book to someone else, especially if you've already accepted the money for the book. While we're all curious, it would probably be a better business practice to get the consent of your customer first before posting a picture of THEIR book.

They may hope to sell it someday (maybe soon), and may not appreciate all the information (especially cost info) already posted about the book to be publicly available to a future potential buyer.

I'm not sure if I would provide a pic if I were you, at least not if you have already sold the book to someone else, especially if you've already accepted the money for the book. While we're all curious, it would probably be a better business practice to get the consent of your customer first before posting a picture of THEIR book.

They may hope to sell it someday (maybe soon), and may not appreciate all the information (especially cost info) already posted about the book to be publicly available to a future potential buyer.

I can pass on a pic of the book. I am more interested in knowing how this "deal" ACTUALLY worked. Not that I will get a straight answer or deserve one but the OP opened the door.

8 8