• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

I thought he and his friend were playing Pokemon Go when at some point a UPS driver joined in the game. OP got mad at one of them, unfriended the supposed friend, but offered him a pre-paid Visa card for his troubles.

I thought he and his friend were playing Pokemon Go when at some point a UPS driver joined in the game. OP got mad at one of them, unfriended the supposed friend, but offered him a pre-paid Visa card for his troubles.

Damn! I was way off. I've been having even more trouble than I thought following this thread.

"You want to get a credit card? You who makes part-time minimum wage with little education and no realistic prospects in the short term and a learning disability? You who was on government assistance less than a year ago? You with the self-professed generational poverty? Are you *#^$(* kidding me?!!What do you need the card for? You don't need it, it will TRAP you in poverty. Show that you can save 15% of your paycheck for 2 years to actually fund your future dreams, then ask me again if you should get a credit card."

THIS x $1,000,000 :makepoint:

Debt is NEVER a pathway out of poverty!

Standard Excuse #2675893 ... " .. I know I have problems, and I listen to your advice; because I read every one of your comments, but my friend says he'll help me after I've spent my 2 hours a week looking for work, or after I've played video games. I'll find a trade or good deal to help the cashflow out with the card .. " :whatev:

His "friend" received the book and likes the book. I do trust his friend not to screw Gabe over but like many others the details on this transaction were very outthere.

Totally agree. Details very sketchy. I would still be interested to know what the actual profit was on the book...I can't see someone handing over $700 for a "brokerage fee".

I can pass on a pic of the book. I am more interested in knowing how this "deal" ACTUALLY worked. Not that I will get a straight answer or deserve one but the OP opened the door.

The way I took the deal is that Gabe found the B&B for $1200, and committed to purchase it.

He was going to put in $500, and his friend was going to put in the remaining $700. The book would subsequently be sold for FMV (around $1800-1900 or so), and the profits would be split according to the amount of money each person put up (so Gabe would get 42%, while his friend would get 58% of the profits).

However, his friend agreed to front the full purchase price of $1200, with the caveat that if the slab was damaged, Gabe would have to deal with the original seller on a return. (Since Gabe was so honest and upfront about the deal).

So, assuming all of the above is correct, his friend now has the book and will try to sell it for FMV, and when that's done, Gabe gets 42% of the profits for his end of the deal. Hopefully his friend is honest and will report the actual sales price and associated expenses so that they both can agree on the profits to be split.

My friend wanted to explain so I copied and pasted it but yes you understand what I said.

I approached the buyer to ask if he wanted to split $500 (me) and $700 (him), so a 42/58 split, to purchase the $1200 book. He asked what I'd be selling the book for after the purchase, I said around $3k in the future. He decided there was a win win situation for us both as he wanted the book. The max profit I could earn at selling it for $3k down the road was:

(3000-1200) * 42% = $756

So he offered to send me $1950 goods and services. This put the required funds in my PayPal balance. I then sent $1200 to the owner of the bb28.

Prior to funds being transferred, I asked the seller of the bb28 to send a picture with a personalized note next to the book to prove he had it since the price was too good to be true. He did so so we went forth with the purchasing via goods and services.

I received a tracking number. I received the book on Thursday. Took a picture of the bb28 and sent it to my friend who should receive it today.

At the end of the day we both come out ahead. I get my max profit quickly. He gets a book at the price that the last 2.5 sold for which had two hole punches in it from a heritage auction recently.

Maybe I am "slow" but I am still trying to understand the nature of the deal on the BB#28.

Gabe, you made it sound like you bought the book outright on your own. We learn this is not the case.

So, what we know now (and correct me if I am wrong), you put in $500 of your own money.

Your "friend" puts in $700. This = $1200 bucks for the cost of the book.

Side Question: How did your "friend" pay the $700? Did the "friend" pay directly to the seller or did the "friend" give you a wad of cash or Paypal it to you?

The BB#28 arrives and you say this:

Pics will come tomorrow as I need to ship the comic tomorrow anyway.

Ok, so you now have the book in hand and now you are shipping it to someone else. Who are you shipping the book to? Are you shipping the book to your friend who paid the $700 or a different/new buyer? If a different/new buyer, how much did it sell for?

I'm not sure if I would provide a pic if I were you, at least not if you have already sold the book to someone else, especially if you've already accepted the money for the book. While we're all curious, it would probably be a better business practice to get the consent of your customer first before posting a picture of THEIR book.

They may hope to sell it someday (maybe soon), and may not appreciate all the information (especially cost info) already posted about the book to be publicly available to a future potential buyer.

So what's the over/under that said book actually exists? lol

That UPS story is twilight zone bizarre too.

I have no reason to lie and my friend got the comic.

I actually went through a lot of this stuff with a friend recently who seems to have got off track in a life 'rut' recently. He's in a place where he's not happy, feels like he deserves more, can't get more, and seems willing to work but doesn't know where to start. I think financially he's a bit better off, but I think the advice is pretty similar.

Set some realistic goals, maybe short term first, and don't do ANYTHING that doesn't either help you meet those goals OR improve you as a person. Like nothing.

If you're a dishwasher making $10/hr, try to get to $15/hr 18th months. This might mean being very detailed while on the job, doing exercises to strengthen your hands arms, feet, legs while you're off the job. You might ask to watch other people wash dishes in your free time (maybe at different restaurants) to learn tricks, or look up videos on youtube, etc. Be the best dishwasher you can be, and you can move to better restaurants if you have to.

Or if you want to be a waiter, do everything it takes to be a waiter. In your freetime, learn about the menu and all the dishes and how they're prepared, try everything on the menu and practice describing things. Run mock waitering situations at home with your family and friends. Practice smoothly carrying things around the room. Get in shape for stamina and strength. TALK to the best waiters and learn tips and tricks, learn how they approach things.

And if you still have long term dreams of dealing comics, actively LEARN everything you can about comics and business, which is more than just hanging on these boards and reading a few new titles per month. Write letters to respected dealers, find out how they got in, what makes them tick, what tips they have for you. Make friends with your local LCS owners. Go to the library to read graphic novels for free, talk about what you like and don't like with friends. Look at deals that are made on the boards or on heritage or ebay, talk about why you think they're good deals or bad deals with other comic-savvy individuals. Don't invest money in comics during this time.

If you have any other free time, work out, learn foreign languages, learn practical skills, or READ. Learn woodworking or painting, or Chinese and French (Canada!), learn to type faster or take excel classes, around the house stuff like basic carpentry or plumbing or electrician stuff, only things that will improve your life. If you need 'fun', read REAL books, not just facebook clickbait or short articles. Preferably self improvement or strategy books or business books.

It may or may not be fair that you need to do all this stuff to move up in life when so many people seem to have it better or easier. But so many people also seem to have it worse, and have made it much farther than you. So don't think about that either way. Just do what you need to do to get better. You're still young, but all of us will tell you that it goes by in flash and you'll wish you had done more while you were young.

You don't have to do any of this or anything else anyone tells you if you're happy where you are. Plenty of people live their whole lives that way, just getting by. Pay your taxes, don't commit crimes, just surviving satisfied at whatever level they're at. Nothing wrong with that. But when you take government assistance AND claim to want MORE out of life and keep 'investing' in comics against advice, your signals come out very mixed and can be frustrating for people who are genuinely trying to help.

Fair or not, you don't have a head start in life or your career. With some of the limitations you've shared with us, its very clear it won't be easy for you to move up. But it can be done, but for someone like you, it can't be done without going ALL IN. Every ounce of energy or dollar spent is spent on survival or improving yourself in some way. You might get by, but you won't truly succeed aand advance otherwise. You might think you can get by on being nice and having heart, but Mexican immigrants in California are picking grapes and sending their kids to ivy league schools. I don't know if they're nice, I don't know if they have learning disorders or generational poverty, but I know the heart they have is punching your heart in the nuts.

I don't mean to be rude but there is no way I can get 15 a hour washing dishes I already asked. I like how you wrote "read" in caps letters and I used to read a lot before I kinda stopped caring about everything. I'm not on government assistance anymore I don't know why you all keep saying that :P But you're right there are a lot of things that I should do to improve on and yes I do realize it's a long road ahead but I will NOT be satisfied with only getting by and do you know why? Generations before me in my family have done that and you know where it got them? Nowhere at all !! I have a lot of problems which I'm sure you all know and don't worry I read everything that's said here. As for being nice it sucks you get used and abused because you have a heart, taken advantage of which is why I don't wear my heart on my sleeve. For exercises, I'm not fat but the last time I worked out is about 7 years ago so I think it'd be a good idea to get to start again. Oh for those wondering I had a job helper

or whatever you like to call them and he kept trying to send me off to do construction when I told him multiple times I can't do that and he wouldn't even help me with job results I got. He was like "Oh well I don't really know since you don't have any A rank jobs (best suited for me) 'How about a construction job?"

You stated before you were receiving social assistance I believe? I think people were under the assumption that you still were.

How do you support yourself then only working 20-25 hours a week at a minimum wage gig?

I don't receive assistance anymore and I live under my means so I usually save around 200 a month.

Updates

I've been approved and signed up for the visa with a limit of 2k

My laptop got fried but I managed to get the files out of it so if you think I'm ignoring you guys I'm not.

BB28

The comic has been shipped so all I'm waiting for is that my friend is happy with the comic.

Why did you apply for a visa? Credit can be very dangerous!

I didn't they kept bugging me about it

Updates

My laptop got fried but I managed to get the files out of it so if you think I'm ignoring you guys I'm not.

BB28

The comic has been shipped so all I'm waiting for is that my friend is happy with the comic.

If you've applied for this, purely to get deals on comics (how stupid of me .. of course that's why) .. what happens when you go over the credit limit? If you go crazy .. expect a knock on the door from people who will want to claim that money back. Your prized, high-item books .. $5 each .. that's probably what value they'll put on each one to get their money back .. a comic book is a comic book to anyone who doesn't know the different values, right?

Your stock AND personal comics will be WIPED OUT!

Let's face it, you've made less money on comics than you've laid-out. You have a minimal wage job to support your lifestyle .. adding a card to the mix is potentially (no real potentially about it) dangerous and irresponsible if you have issues with money and not budgeting etc

.. this is not a good move for you.

I've laid out everything I've made so far and I have nothing to hide or lie about like you assume I do and I've asked what happens if you go over your limit, you get charged and the put on bigger interest rates.

Updates

BB28

Gabe, be very, very careful with a credit card.

Neither a borrower nor a lender be. Research the Rothchilds, the London Stockmarket debacle causing a panic by selling off his stock, making people think Napolean had won at Waterloo,,etc. etc., then gaining control of the Bank of England, and that's just the one son (of 3?) . Actually, go all the way back to Constantine. 300 A.D. Who did finally make it safe to be a Christian,he being one himself. The Vatican got money. I'm getting off topic. The Fed Reserve Board has no accountability....

He who dies the deepest in debt, wins.

I don't feel like fact checking but I can tell you I don't plan on using the visa yet and I have no intention of being in debt.

Just skimming the thread for the first time, and I must say, I agree with Metal and Web-Crawler. You seem like a lost cause, but I'll give some advice anyway, because you remind me of myself at your age. Lazy.

1. Sell your remaining comics and put the money aside, or at the very least, don't plan on buying any books until you get your mess together.

2. Give up gaming completely for the foreseeable future. Spend every minute you would be playing video games looking for a job. There are 168 hours in a week, you work 25, that leaves 143. I'm assuming you sleep about 10 hours a day, that leaves 73 hours awake and not working. 5 hours a week out of 73 available is not nearly enough time spent searching for work.

3. Sleep 6-7 hours a night, your body gets used to it, trust me.

4. Consider going back to community college or taking night courses, there's only so far you can get without a degree. Some people become very successful without one, but they work very hard and are extremely driven. You don't and you're not.

5. This is based mostly on my own past, and may not apply, but if you smoke weed, stop.

6. Work your off and save money. Once you're in a good place, consider adding things back into your life such as occasional video games and flipping books.

I know this sounds harsh, but it's life. I wasted my time after high school hanging around, sleeping all day, not working enough, and barely scraping by in community college. Next thing you knew I was 25 still living with my parents and miserable. I made the decision to join the Coast Guard, and it was the best decision I ever made. It gave me a stable career and the discipline I was lacking. I did my 4 years and used the G.I. Bill to finish college on their dime.

I moved to Ireland only to learn that there are no entry level jobs for someone with a Bachelors degree in Environmental Science, and having U.S. military service on my C.V. doesn't mean or give you a leg up like it can in the States. What am I doing now? I work in a call center making €22,000 a year and am working on a masters at night. Do I enjoy my work? hell no, does it pay well? absolutely not, but its all I can get at the moment so I work hard and have a good attitude about it. Maybe I can progress with my current company or maybe I'll find something better when my masters is done, but you get out what you put in.

If you're not happy with your current situation, do something about it. Don't play video games, catch up on sleep, and whine about it on a comic book forum.

Get your mess together while you're still young enough so you don't end up wishing you did things differently the first time around like I sometimes do.

Unfortunately, this anecdote is going to bounce right off the OP like dozens of other posts filled with good life advice. I'm betting there will be a sentence or two of lip service, a promise to consider what you've written, followed by absolutely no change. It's been the pattern so far.

But I read the whole thing and I want to say "Good for you!". This is certainly the attitude the OP needs to adopt. You were fortunate to recognize an issue at the age of 25, relatively early compared to some.

I want to ask you one thing, how old are you now?

Not sure why it matters but I'm 36

Just curious for now.

Maybe I am "slow" but I am still trying to understand the nature of the deal on the BB#28.

Gabe, you made it sound like you bought the book outright on your own. We learn this is not the case.

So, what we know now (and correct me if I am wrong), you put in $500 of your own money.

Side Question: How did your "friend" pay the $700? Did the "friend" pay directly to the seller or did the "friend" give you a wad of cash or Paypal it to you?

Ok, so you now have the book in hand and now you are shipping it to someone else. Who are you shipping the book to? Are you shipping the book to your friend who paid the $700 or a different/new buyer? If a different/new buyer, how much did it sell for?

Originally it was supposed to be a split purchase but my friend decided to buy all of it and give me 700 as a thanks because how it would have worked it I would have gotten exactly what I invested as profit since I like to make things fair and he agreed to those terms. So long story short the comic arrived, I shipped it to my friend and I have the 700 dollars in my account so I suppose you can say I sold it for 1900.

This still isn't clear in my mind.

You and your "friend" went in on a $1200 book together. You put up $500, he put up $700.

At one point you said something about "unfriending"...is this a real friend; someone you know personally? Or is this someone you know through facebook comic chats? How well do you know this guy?

Back to the deal, the book was shipped to you but it took a long time for you to receive it because UPS was "playing games" with you.

You receive the book in-hand and now your friend decides he wants to be the sole owner of the book? To do this, he should be giving you $500 just for you to not take a loss. Realistically, you should be given a finder's fee if this is a client...something on the order of 10%.

But you say he gave you $700. Is this on top of the $500 he needed to give you to buy you out of your ownership of the book? Or was it $500 to buy you out plus a $200 finder's fee?

You say you "sold" it for $1,900...so it sounds like he bought you out for $500 and then gave you a $700 finder's fee. $500 (your initial investment) + $700 (friend's initial investment) + $700 (finder's fee) = $1900?

Is this how it went down?

I approached the buyer to ask if he wanted to split $500 (me) and $700 (him), so a 42/58 split, to purchase the $1200 book. He asked what I'd be selling the book for after the purchase, I said around $3k in the future. He decided there was a win win situation for us both as he wanted the book. The max profit I could earn at selling it for $3k down the road was:

(3000-1200) * 42% = $756

So he offered to send me $1950 goods and services. This put the required funds in my PayPal balance. I then sent $1200 to the owner of the bb28.

Prior to funds being transferred, I asked the seller of the bb28 to send a picture with a personalized note next to the book to prove he had it since the price was too good to be true. He did so so we went forth with the purchasing via goods and services.

I received a tracking number. I received the book on Thursday. Took a picture of the bb28 and sent it to my friend who should receive it today.

At the end of the day we both come out ahead. I get my max profit quickly. He gets a book at the price that the last 2.5 sold for which had two hole punches in it from a heritage auction recently.

Originally it was supposed to be a split purchase but my friend decided to buy all of it and give me 700 as a thanks because how it would have worked it I would have gotten exactly what I invested as profit since I like to make things fair and he agreed to those terms. So long story short the comic arrived, I shipped it to my friend and I have the 700 dollars in my account so I suppose you can say I sold it for 1900.

You and your "friend" went in on a $1200 book together. You put up $500, he put up $700.

At one point you said something about "unfriending"...is this a real friend; someone you know personally? Or is this someone you know through facebook comic chats? How well do you know this guy?

Back to the deal, the book was shipped to you but it took a long time for you to receive it because UPS was "playing games" with you.

You receive the book in-hand and now your friend decides he wants to be the sole owner of the book? To do this, he should be giving you $500 just for you to not take a loss. Realistically, you should be given a finder's fee if this is a client...something on the order of 10%.

But you say he gave you $700. Is this on top of the $500 he needed to give you to buy you out of your ownership of the book? Or was it $500 to buy you out plus a $200 finder's fee?

You say you "sold" it for $1,900...so it sounds like he bought you out for $500 and then gave you a $700 finder's fee. $500 (your initial investment) + $700 (friend's initial investment) + $700 (finder's fee) = $1900?

Gabe, please answer the following questions and then go from there...

How much did the book cost?

How much did YOU pay for the book? As in money out of your own pocket?

How much did your "FRIEND" pay for the book?

Who sent the money to the original seller and how was it paid for?

Thanks.

The comic cost 1200

I paid 0 for the comic

He paid 1200 for the comic and I sent money to the original seller with paypal

Neither a borrower nor a lender be. Research the Rothchilds, the London Stockmarket debacle causing a panic by selling off his stock, making people think Napolean had won at Waterloo,,etc. etc., then gaining control of the Bank of England, and that's just the one son (of 3?) . Actually, go all the way back to Constantine. 300 A.D. Who did finally make it safe to be a Christian,he being one himself. The Vatican got money. I'm getting off topic. The Fed Reserve Board has no accountability....

He who dies the deepest in debt, wins.

I don't feel like fact checking but I can tell you I don't plan on using the visa yet and I have no intention of being in debt.

Once you have a credit card you'll find it difficult not to use it. An emergency will crop up, or perhaps an investment/comic, or something you've always wanted to buy. Once you've run it up you'll find it almost impossible to pay off with your current wage. Credit cards are a great tool but they're also very dangerous. Credit card companies love to get their cards into the hands of young people so that they're trapped for years paying off high interest rates and never paying off the actual debt.

Gabe, please answer the following questions and then go from there...

How much did the book cost?

How much did YOU pay for the book? As in money out of your own pocket?

How much did your "FRIEND" pay for the book?

Who sent the money to the original seller and how was it paid for?

Thanks.

From what I have read let me guess as to the answers - and also test my Gabe comprehension skills. Gabe found and bought a BB 28 CGC 2.5 (which has a GPA price of $1,900) for a crazy low $1,200. He was going to split the cost of the book with a buddy (since I assume he didn't have the cash because who would not grab a $1,900 book for $1,200 by yourself). The next part is a bit murky but I think the buddy decided he wanted the book so he paid Gabe $1,400 for the book (initial $700 to buy the book and an extra $700 to get the book. So Gabe spent $500 to buy the book (since his buddy paid for the other $700) and now has $200 in profits since now he has $700 in his account (but paid $500 to buy the book). If that is the case its not too shabby a deal for everyone involved. Buddy makes $300 when he sells it for $1,900 (minus fees) and Gabe gets the $200.

I made 700 but you did quite nice if I say so myself.

I'll make this as clear as I can. I wanted to buy the comic for 1200 but didn't have the money so I wanted to pay 500 and my friend 700 but we went back and forth and he wanted to buy the whole thing but gave me a finders fee for my trouble instead which is what I would have made after we split profits. This is how the calculation would have went

500/1200 = 41.6% profit

I suggested the idea of getting out of the comic in profit exactly what we invested and he agreed this was fair,

Updates

BB28

If you've applied for this, purely to get deals on comics (how stupid of me .. of course that's why) .. what happens when you go over the credit limit? If you go crazy .. expect a knock on the door from people who will want to claim that money back. Your prized, high-item books .. $5 each .. that's probably what value they'll put on each one to get their money back .. a comic book is a comic book to anyone who doesn't know the different values, right?

Your stock AND personal comics will be WIPED OUT!

Let's face it, you've made less money on comics than you've laid-out. You have a minimal wage job to support your lifestyle .. adding a card to the mix is potentially (no real potentially about it) dangerous and irresponsible if you have issues with money and not budgeting etc

.. this is not a good move for you.

Agree times infinity.

This is trouble waiting to happen.

What is the interest rate on the card you were approved for?

19.99%

8 8