• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Just skimming the thread for the first time, and I must say, I agree with Metal and Web-Crawler. You seem like a lost cause, but I'll give some advice anyway, because you remind me of myself at your age. Lazy.

1. Sell your remaining comics and put the money aside, or at the very least, don't plan on buying any books until you get your mess together.

2. Give up gaming completely for the foreseeable future. Spend every minute you would be playing video games looking for a job. There are 168 hours in a week, you work 25, that leaves 143. I'm assuming you sleep about 10 hours a day, that leaves 73 hours awake and not working. 5 hours a week out of 73 available is not nearly enough time spent searching for work.

3. Sleep 6-7 hours a night, your body gets used to it, trust me.

4. Consider going back to community college or taking night courses, there's only so far you can get without a degree. Some people become very successful without one, but they work very hard and are extremely driven. You don't and you're not.

5. This is based mostly on my own past, and may not apply, but if you smoke weed, stop.

6. Work your off and save money. Once you're in a good place, consider adding things back into your life such as occasional video games and flipping books.

I know this sounds harsh, but it's life. I wasted my time after high school hanging around, sleeping all day, not working enough, and barely scraping by in community college. Next thing you knew I was 25 still living with my parents and miserable. I made the decision to join the Coast Guard, and it was the best decision I ever made. It gave me a stable career and the discipline I was lacking. I did my 4 years and used the G.I. Bill to finish college on their dime.

I moved to Ireland only to learn that there are no entry level jobs for someone with a Bachelors degree in Environmental Science, and having U.S. military service on my C.V. doesn't mean or give you a leg up like it can in the States. What am I doing now? I work in a call center making €22,000 a year and am working on a masters at night. Do I enjoy my work? hell no, does it pay well? absolutely not, but its all I can get at the moment so I work hard and have a good attitude about it. Maybe I can progress with my current company or maybe I'll find something better when my masters is done, but you get out what you put in.

If you're not happy with your current situation, do something about it. Don't play video games, catch up on sleep, and whine about it on a comic book forum.

Get your mess together while you're still young enough so you don't end up wishing you did things differently the first time around like I sometimes do.

Very cool background story. I can only guess there was a woman involved to make you move to Ireland from the States with no job.

Revat should modify quotes and I should clean up. I'm a hillbilly and apologize

I deleted my previous comment and replaced it with a long winded diatribe.

I can pass on a pic of the book. I am more interested in knowing how this "deal" ACTUALLY worked. Not that I will get a straight answer or deserve one but the OP opened the door.

The way I took the deal is that Gabe found the B&B for $1200, and committed to purchase it.

He was going to put in $500, and his friend was going to put in the remaining $700. The book would subsequently be sold for FMV (around $1800-1900 or so), and the profits would be split according to the amount of money each person put up (so Gabe would get 42%, while his friend would get 58% of the profits).

However, his friend agreed to front the full purchase price of $1200, with the caveat that if the slab was damaged, Gabe would have to deal with the original seller on a return. (Since Gabe was so honest and upfront about the deal).

So, assuming all of the above is correct, his friend now has the book and will try to sell it for FMV, and when that's done, Gabe gets 42% of the profits for his end of the deal. Hopefully his friend is honest and will report the actual sales price and associated expenses so that they both can agree on the profits to be split.

Maybe I am "slow" but I am still trying to understand the nature of the deal on the BB#28.

Gabe, you made it sound like you bought the book outright on your own. We learn this is not the case.

So, what we know now (and correct me if I am wrong), you put in $500 of your own money.

Your "friend" puts in $700. This = $1200 bucks for the cost of the book.

Side Question: How did your "friend" pay the $700? Did the "friend" pay directly to the seller or did the "friend" give you a wad of cash or Paypal it to you?

The BB#28 arrives and you say this:

Pics will come tomorrow as I need to ship the comic tomorrow anyway.

Ok, so you now have the book in hand and now you are shipping it to someone else. Who are you shipping the book to? Are you shipping the book to your friend who paid the $700 or a different/new buyer? If a different/new buyer, how much did it sell for?

I'm not sure if I would provide a pic if I were you, at least not if you have already sold the book to someone else, especially if you've already accepted the money for the book. While we're all curious, it would probably be a better business practice to get the consent of your customer first before posting a picture of THEIR book.

They may hope to sell it someday (maybe soon), and may not appreciate all the information (especially cost info) already posted about the book to be publicly available to a future potential buyer.

So what's the over/under that said book actually exists? lol

That UPS story is twilight zone bizarre too.

Unfortunately, this anecdote is going to bounce right off the OP like dozens of other posts filled with good life advice. I'm betting there will be a sentence or two of lip service, a promise to consider what you've written, followed by absolutely no change. It's been the pattern so far.

But I read the whole thing and I want to say "Good for you!". This is certainly the attitude the OP needs to adopt. You were fortunate to recognize an issue at the age of 25, relatively early compared to some.

Thanks very much, I appreciate the kind words. I really wish all the good advice in this thread would have an effect on the OP. He frustrates me a lot, but I think that's because I was very similar at his age. It's like I'm wanting to slap some sense into my younger self.

Very cool background story. I can only guess there was a woman involved to make you move to Ireland from the States with no job.

Indeed there was. We met my first year in the Coast Guard while I was stationed in Rhode Island. Long distance for almost 7 years before I moved over. Looking back I don't know how we managed for so long.

Okay, OP, you really have to explain this.

What do you mean I'm struggling with the 1000 dollar purchase? The BB28? Actually it went smoothly till UPS was playing games with the package but in the end I did get it after I said I'd report him to his manger to get him fired because honestly I've had it with him, I've been a pushover for a long time and I've made many mistakes and learned from most of them. I should have listened to the advice Rick gave me to not be so kind and believing with others because business is business well I'm learning the hard way for sure.

You said in a previous post that you never even saw the UPS driver, your dad did, which by the way, I don't believe for a second. You now state that you told the UPS driver that you would report him to his manager to get him fired, which I also don't believe, but even if these statements are true, which is it? It can't be both. You need to understand that the people on this board are educated and knowledgeable not only about comic books, but about life. Your days of people taking anything you say at face value are pretty much over. Because of that, anything you post is going to get analyzed, picked apart, and you will be questioned on it, as you should be. Since you're obviously going to keep doing what you want, regardless of any advice given to you that doesn't happen to jive with whatever pipe dreams you're currently pursuing (like becoming a voice actor), here is a tip that you might try: Before you post something, read it first. Not only will you fix the majority of your spelling and grammar errors, but you should ask yourself, "does this make sense?" A lot of what you post is so jumbled up, it's hard, if not impossible, to tell what you are trying to say. Also, you can ask yourself if what you are about to post is likely to be questioned, and if it is, have a reasonable answer ready or consider not posting it. Otherwise, you'd better be prepared to have the BS flag thrown up.

Well, I've done it .. I've managed to read this (at the moment) 163 page thread .. in one day.

At first, I was rooting for Gabe, but as I read more and more into the thread and noticed that he didn't take advice (actually, he said he did and then .. erm .. didn't .. many, many times) .. I got frustrated, like a lot of people on this thread.

I've only got a couple of things to pitch in ..

Gabe, I'm an old fart .. I'm coming-up 53 in January, but life has taught me that to get what I want, I've had to put effort into it (your disabilities have been noted). I've taken jobs, for many years; that I've absolutely hated. Why? .. because it kept the money flowing in .. and ergo: kept a roof over my head and food in the fridge.

Working hard has not gotten me that $1,000,000 comic or even elevated me to be my own boss, but what it has given me is an appreciation that working hard = happiness and a good feeling of self. I'm happy with my lot.

All I see in you after 163 pages (like I wrote above: disabilities noted) is a sense of Entitlement.

I'm not going to turn this into "Kenners Rant For Getting Gabe To See The Error Of His Ways", (because I don't think anyone here can help you) but .. I think you have issues (certainly not comic-related ones) that need Professional help. I sincerely hope you find yourself soon.

Indeed there was. We met my first year in the Coast Guard while I was stationed in Rhode Island. Long distance for almost 7 years before I moved over. Looking back I don't know how we managed for so long.

I know the girl is gone and it sucks to make only enough to scrape by.... But please tell me at least that Ireland is awesome.

My dad's family is Irish and it's been a long-term goal to vacation there, but I've always thought it would be cool to live there too. Please tell me I'm not totally delusional.

I know the girl is gone and it sucks to make only enough to scrape by.... But please tell me at least that Ireland is awesome.

My dad's family is Irish and it's been a long-term goal to vacation there, but I've always thought it would be cool to live there too. Please tell me I'm not totally delusional.

In the interest of leaving this thread about the OP, check out my response over here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9519424#Post9519424

I might get in trouble for some of what I am going to say but...OP has officially pissed me off.

You have patience that I will never attain because I'd never work at a place I hate for 10 years.

And that, ladies and gentleman, is the essence of the problem right there. OP, are you still on social assistance and/or living with your parents? You talk about wanting to get out of "generations of poverty" but you are not willing to do whatever it takes to elevate yourself. You are not even doing the minimum.

Doing mess you don't like is a part of being an adult.

I don't blame things on everyone else many of those are my fault but not all of them.

Do you even read what you type before you post it?

Yeah but I didn't know how to phrase it better

Yes most give great advice but I have conflicting answers for example I have a job now but I've been told three things: 1.This isn't your thing quit 2. Start small and work your way up 3. Come back later when I have more stability

You work 20-25 hours a week. You barely have a job. You are not even really looking for another one. Regardless of the 'conflicting advice' the one thing everyone has said that you continue to ignore is to stop chasing 'the big score'. I vote you quit until you can stand on your own two feet,when you are not subsidized.

:facepalm:

I missed the part about voice acting classes...

What's wrong with that? It's lucrative as well.

You have "Peter Pan" syndrome. You don't want to grow up and you are just looking to invest minimal time in the hopes to land a "kewl" job. Have you done any kind of research into how hard it is to break into the business or even how to? Do you know how many talented actors are out there working other jobs while they chase their dream? Tell me, what was your "plan" for this? You admittedly stated you lack some essential skills. Your time and money would be better spent developing basic skills.

I spend 5 hours a week looking for other jobs and I enjoy looking for deals.

5 hours a week? That's it? You work a mere 20-25 hours per week, if you REALLY wanted to better your situation you should be looking a hell of a lot more than 5 hours a week.

Truth be told many things I'm not motivated for.

That is abundantly clear to everyone. That is a great thing to admit to publicly, especially someone feeding off the government teat.

I have passed high school and did some college and what I do in my spare time is play video games, look for deals and catch up on sleep.

You have nothing but spare time. Catch up on sleep? Are you freaking serious? Why? From staying up too late playing video games and cruising online? And you wonder why nothing is getting better for you.

I know you have some "challenges" but seriously, everything you outlined above is a recipe for failure. People who plan their life around "winning the lottery" usually don't end up too well.

You can say whatever you want I can take it.

I don't fully agree with that just because your a adult doesn't mean you should take because that's what you've been told you should do. I do believe you need a certain amount of tolerance which I don't have. Looking for another job is something I do 5 hours a week yes. Nothing but spare time? I look for deals and look for another job. I don't plan on winning the lottery but it's a good fantasy.

For voice acting I know it takes about 7-10 years of hard work to at least get noticed in most cases.

His signature states to buy and sell a million dollar book, to buy and sell a million dollar coin.

The link for his kudos page is the front page of the forum.

I have no idea what his condition is, but living in reality is part of it. Waste of breath.

The link to my kudos leads to the front page? That's not where it takes me and about my condition they don't know what it is either but basic cognitive function and memory problems are two of the biggest things there.

Just skimming the thread for the first time, and I must say, I agree with Metal and Web-Crawler. You seem like a lost cause, but I'll give some advice anyway, because you remind me of myself at your age. Lazy.

1. Sell your remaining comics and put the money aside, or at the very least, don't plan on buying any books until you get your mess together.

2. Give up gaming completely for the foreseeable future. Spend every minute you would be playing video games looking for a job. There are 168 hours in a week, you work 25, that leaves 143. I'm assuming you sleep about 10 hours a day, that leaves 73 hours awake and not working. 5 hours a week out of 73 available is not nearly enough time spent searching for work.

3. Sleep 6-7 hours a night, your body gets used to it, trust me.

4. Consider going back to community college or taking night courses, there's only so far you can get without a degree. Some people become very successful without one, but they work very hard and are extremely driven. You don't and you're not.

5. This is based mostly on my own past, and may not apply, but if you smoke weed, stop.

6. Work your off and save money. Once you're in a good place, consider adding things back into your life such as occasional video games and flipping books.

I know this sounds harsh, but it's life. I wasted my time after high school hanging around, sleeping all day, not working enough, and barely scraping by in community college. Next thing you knew I was 25 still living with my parents and miserable. I made the decision to join the Coast Guard, and it was the best decision I ever made. It gave me a stable career and the discipline I was lacking. I did my 4 years and used the G.I. Bill to finish college on their dime.

I moved to Ireland only to learn that there are no entry level jobs for someone with a Bachelors degree in Environmental Science, and having U.S. military service on my C.V. doesn't mean or give you a leg up like it can in the States. What am I doing now? I work in a call center making €22,000 a year and am working on a masters at night. Do I enjoy my work? hell no, does it pay well? absolutely not, but its all I can get at the moment so I work hard and have a good attitude about it. Maybe I can progress with my current company or maybe I'll find something better when my masters is done, but you get out what you put in.

If you're not happy with your current situation, do something about it. Don't play video games, catch up on sleep, and whine about it on a comic book forum.

Get your mess together while you're still young enough so you don't end up wishing you did things differently the first time around like I sometimes do.

Unfortunately, this anecdote is going to bounce right off the OP like dozens of other posts filled with good life advice. I'm betting there will be a sentence or two of lip service, a promise to consider what you've written, followed by absolutely no change. It's been the pattern so far.

But I read the whole thing and I want to say "Good for you!". This is certainly the attitude the OP needs to adopt. You were fortunate to recognize an issue at the age of 25, relatively early compared to some.

I want to ask you one thing, how old are you now?

So what is the deal with the book? Have it in hand yet? What is the hold up exactly?

The comic came in today but UPS was playing stupid games and today the guy knocked once, dropped the package and ran off I'm just thankful the guy packed so well

So what were "the stupid games" that UPS was playing? Are you saying the guy literally DROPPED the package and literally "ran off"?

IS your friend satisfied with the book? Care to share some pics?

The games that UPS was playing was claiming they knocked on the door and no one was there all three times which is bs and finally he can again and kocked once,and literally dropped the package and ran off. What pissed me off most is he said he couldn't understand my sign that said "Knock on door #1" Pics will come tomorrow as I need to ship the comic tomorrow anyway.

Can we see a scan of the book?

When I get the chance yes

Maybe I am "slow" but I am still trying to understand the nature of the deal on the BB#28.

Gabe, you made it sound like you bought the book outright on your own. We learn this is not the case.

So, what we know now (and correct me if I am wrong), you put in $500 of your own money.

Side Question: How did your "friend" pay the $700? Did the "friend" pay directly to the seller or did the "friend" give you a wad of cash or Paypal it to you?

Ok, so you now have the book in hand and now you are shipping it to someone else. Who are you shipping the book to? Are you shipping the book to your friend who paid the $700 or a different/new buyer? If a different/new buyer, how much did it sell for?

Originally it was supposed to be a split purchase but my friend decided to buy all of it and give me 700 as a thanks because how it would have worked it I would have gotten exactly what I invested as profit since I like to make things fair and he agreed to those terms. So long story short the comic arrived, I shipped it to my friend and I have the 700 dollars in my account so I suppose you can say I sold it for 1900.

I'm not sure if I would provide a pic if I were you, at least not if you have already sold the book to someone else, especially if you've already accepted the money for the book. While we're all curious, it would probably be a better business practice to get the consent of your customer first before posting a picture of THEIR book.

They may hope to sell it someday (maybe soon), and may not appreciate all the information (especially cost info) already posted about the book to be publicly available to a future potential buyer.

I never thought of it that way but I'll ask but they said it will be in their collection to keep.

8 8