• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2022 at 10:09 PM, Qalyar said:

I feel like someone inserted an object -- maybe even a screwdriver -- to pry that case open and instead slipped it against the cover. Inexcusable 

:facepalm:

On 5/13/2022 at 11:09 PM, Qalyar said:

I feel like someone inserted an object -- maybe even a screwdriver -- to pry that case open and instead slipped it against the cover. Inexcusable 

That is what our consensus is on our end as well :cry: 

Edited by Iceman399

On 5/13/2022 at 10:09 PM, Qalyar said:
On 5/13/2022 at 9:15 PM, Iceman399 said:

At this point that mobile press guy using brute force to explode the case is making whoever did this deslabbing look like an amateur. 

On 5/13/2022 at 10:36 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

At this point that mobile press guy using brute force to explode the case is making whoever did this deslabbing look like an amateur. 

Only because he got lucky. Do that twisty thing a bunch of times and sooner or later you're gonna put a shard of plastic through the book.

Here is a box I received recently. There was no cardboard protecting two of the ends of the box. So the books there were completely mangled. Fortunately, they were not bent, just destroyed cases.

Also, I too have been getting about 30%-95% of the books received with scratches, scuffs, Newton rings, debris, etc. Even when I get this boxes back it has been about 50% of the same problem. This has all picked up in the last year. Frustrating when I am trying to sell the books. Having to wait 6-8 months for the books, which are now no longer 'hot', and then another 1-2 months to send them back in due to errors, and then again because of same or differing errors.

Lastly, I was also told by one of the CSRs that there is only a two week grace period for a person to contact CGC to get them reholdered for scratches, debris, etc. Has anybody else heard that? Some errors I don't recognize the first time around until I am scanning the books. I shouldn't have to inspect each book with a magnifying glass, and I didn't have to do that just a year ago. Back then any flaws I came across were minor and/or somewhat rare.

IMG_8833.jpeg

IMG_8834.jpeg

On 5/14/2022 at 12:52 AM, Robert_L said:

Here is a box I received recently. There was no cardboard protecting two of the ends of the box. So the books there were completely mangled. Fortunately, they were not bent, just destroyed cases.

Also, I too have been getting about 30%-95% of the books received with scratches, scuffs, Newton rings, debris, etc. Even when I get this boxes back it has been about 50% of the same problem. This has all picked up in the last year. Frustrating when I am trying to sell the books. Having to wait 6-8 months for the books, which are now no longer 'hot', and then another 1-2 months to send them back in due to errors, and then again because of same or differing errors.

Lastly, I was also told by one of the CSRs that there is only a two week grace period for a person to contact CGC to get them reholdered for scratches, debris, etc. Has anybody else heard that? Some errors I don't recognize the first time around until I am scanning the books. I shouldn't have to inspect each book with a magnifying glass, and I didn't have to do that just a year ago. Back then any flaws I came across were minor and/or somewhat rare.

IMG_8833.jpeg

IMG_8834.jpeg

As other posters have noted for other CGC QC or related failures, that is disgraceful.

• Administrator
On 5/13/2022 at 10:15 PM, Iceman399 said:

@CGC Mike I know this isn't on you but this is just wrong.

Please forward me the last e-mail exchange so I can see what has taken place and follow the progress and outcome.  

mgreenwood@cgccomics.com

I am done with CGC. That have reduced their turn around time however it appears at the expense of quality control and consistency in grading. 

Good luck to all who continue to use them from grading.

ed

Edited by TheEbner

On 5/13/2022 at 10:15 PM, Iceman399 said:

CGC is really making me frustrated. 

Creep Engine reholder

grade dropped from 9.8 to 9.4.  Notes updated to include tear on back cover.  CGC never bothered to contact me saying the book was damaged, almost like they hoped I wouldn't notice it.

Looks like a screwdriver went through the back by the staple.

It's taken 6 emails to CGC and we are currently at the stage of can you send us more pictures of the book before you sent it to us (not sure why they need more photos) it was sent to CGC still encapsulated so the only and I mean ONLY place it could have been damaged was by CGC when they removed it from their already damaging holder.

@CGC Mike I know this isn't on you but this is just wrong.

CGC dun screwed up and should be like hey we dun screwed up we'll make it right.  Instead we are over a week into this saga with emails that have just asked for more and more photos to "investigate".

pred 1 back damage.jpg

pred 1 reholder.jpg

pred 1 creep.jpg

Seriously, isn't CGC obligated to at least let you know when something like this happens? I know there is that stupid waiver which absolves them of any responsibility when something like this happens  :facepalm: , but you would think they'd give you a call at least.

When I mess up at work, the first thing out of my mouth is, "Hey boss, I messed up." I seriously wonder if kids these days are taught to keep their mouths shut (or if this is just a CGC thing).

Edited by Gaard

Just had 7 come in yesterday and of those, 1 had plastic debris (looked like a popped post but can't find any damage to make that make sense), 1 had a significant scratch down the face, and the rest were fine.  

The grades on the other hand were ALL over the place.  1 was my fault and the others, I truly can't find any defects for the grades make sense.  Things I thought were no better than 9.2 hit 9.8 and things I thought were a slam-dunk 9.8 hitting 9.2.  (shrug)

We'll see what happens with the other 15 or so coming in next week.  

On 5/14/2022 at 9:09 AM, Gaard said:

Have you ever wondered...

if all this kind of carp happened over at PGX, how many "I told you so"s we'd hear?

Have to get buddy to stop signing books with a jiffy marker first