• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,172 posts in this topic

On 6/6/2022 at 10:21 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

1.jpg.d595ede999a53e34ce012138124265b5.jpg

...but how would that help?  The graders don't encapsulate...

On 6/6/2022 at 11:45 PM, Axe Elf said:

Yeah, the person who posted this on FB didn't realize graders don't encapsulate, but the picture speaks for itself. 

• Administrator
On 6/6/2022 at 10:26 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I'd suggest joining some of the CGC Facebook groups.  There are more examples posted there than I can keep up with. 

Other than this forum, I don't visit any social media sites or groups.  Although, I have asked marketing to send me examples they see each week.  With that said, I am thankful for anyone posting the ones they find here.  He is specifically looking for books that have been graded fairly recent.  

On 6/6/2022 at 8:46 PM, CGC Mike said:

There are 2 graders per comic.  Also, the graders don't encapsulate the books.

Mike, I'm curious how this works?
Do the 2 graders submit a grade independently? What happens when the graders are not in alignment? Is the book handed over to another 2 graders?

• Administrator
On 6/7/2022 at 9:29 AM, WilliamLunt said:

Do the 2 graders submit a grade independently? What happens when the graders are not in alignment? Is the book handed over to another 2 graders?

Hi:

I am not sure we reveal our grading procedures.

Mike

On 6/7/2022 at 8:29 AM, WilliamLunt said:

Do the 2 graders submit a grade independently?

For a couple of the books in the last grading contest, I think they added both grades together.

On 6/7/2022 at 9:29 AM, WilliamLunt said:

Years ago, it was commonly reported that if the two graders couldn't come to an agreement, a third, more senior grader would review the comic and make a decision.  Again, this was several years ago and may not still be the policy but it seems reasonable.  In fact, it may have never been the policy, just boardie speculation.

On 6/6/2022 at 11:45 PM, Axe Elf said:

If a grader's hair fell onto the book, I have 0% faith the encapsulators would notice, or care.

Everyone there should wear hairnets.

And glasses.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 6/6/2022 at 7:54 PM, CGC Mike said:

The new QC manager has asked me for weekly updates for any recently graded books that have QC issues.  I will be keeping an eye on this thread for examples that fit the criteria above.  

Not sure if this is "recent" enough for the QC manager's concerns, but it is from 2022. This book was submitted under the correct title (EverQuest Online Adventures: The Quest for Darkpaw), but slabbed with the title of a different book entirely -- albeit one based on the same franchise (EverQuest: The Ruins of Kunark). Note that this was not a label swap: there was no copy of EverQuest: The Ruins of Kunark in this submission.

I'm fairly sure that the problem occurred during the onboarding process. At the time this was submitted, Quest for Darkpaw had not been previously graded; I had to enter the title in my submission form as a new book. If I tried to use the form to "autocomplete" the title, Ruins of Kunark was what it "thought" I wanted. When the submission was received at CGC and viewable through the tracking tool, it appeared as Ruins of Kunark. I assumed that the form's behavior was exactly what happened to the onboarding employee. The disappointing issue is that it wasn't corrected at the grading stage, nor was it detected as an obviously mislabeled slab by the QC team.

In the interests of full disclosure, this did go back under an ME submission and has now been corrected.

This is what I got back the first time. Despite my VG+ photography skills, it's clear that the label title doesn't match the book title at all. If I was better at photographing slabs, it would also be clear that the creator information at left is contradicted by the large credits text at the bottom of the cover.

PXL_20220328_204611623.thumb.jpg.aa0d9d299c54bec4ba2e338952d900b9.jpg

This is the correct labeling, and is how the slab appears following the ME resub:

1783316916_PXL_20220607_2013564942.thumb.jpg.a2a00e7aa9f2ce7534b68797029f8de8.jpg

For reference, here's what a copy of EverQuest: The Ruins of Kunark actually looks like:

4156424_Full_Obv.jpg.647c28a1a83380bc1035b34ac5ef6c0c.jpg

On 6/6/2022 at 5:42 PM, Axe Elf said:

I'd like to make a suggestion with the goal of improving quality control.

Instead of having one grader per comic, why not have two?

Because an upside down comic book is something that a second-grader would catch.

Thank you; I'll be here all week.  Enjoy the buffet!

What you're proposing isn't more graders, it's more quality control people.

On 6/6/2022 at 8:42 PM, Axe Elf said:

I'd like to make a suggestion with the goal of improving quality control.

Instead of having one grader per comic, why not have two?

Because an upside down comic book is something that a second-grader would catch.

Thank you; I'll be here all week.  Enjoy the buffet!

On 6/8/2022 at 4:26 PM, ExNihilo said:

What you're proposing isn't more graders, it's more quality control people.

It was a joke.

On 6/8/2022 at 4:12 PM, JJ Speederman said:

Top right. I assume it was damaged during encapsulation.

asm323.jpg

asm-crunch-2.jpg

Is there visible damage to the bottom edge of the back cover as well?  Looks like the book passes through the inner well seal....C3C63B87-81AC-44DB-8DB9-11A4908E0F97.jpeg.aeeddbc6ec23ba0dd4cfc354606191b3.jpeg

• Administrator
On 6/8/2022 at 3:19 PM, Qalyar said:

Not sure if this is "recent" enough for the QC manager's concerns, but it is from 2022.

Thank you.  It will be added to next weeks e-mail.  

On 6/8/2022 at 3:12 PM, JJ Speederman said:

Top right. I assume it was damaged during encapsulation.

asm323.jpg

asm-crunch-2.jpg

This looks like an example of a book where the cover overhangs the pages and then when the book moves during shipping the overhang is crushed against the inner well. It sucks and has seemingly always been a problem that is difficult to avoid.

Edited by Red84