• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,152 posts in this topic

On 7/21/2023 at 6:01 AM, Domo Arigato said:

There is no way that I could do Mike's job and hold onto it for more than a day.

The first thing I would do is make a large print of this......walk into Matt Nelson's office and throw it on his desk while yelling "How the f*** am I suppose to make excuses for this?".

:facepalm:

What's really going to bake your noodle later on is, how many slabbed regular cover comics are out there with this slip tucked inside that we will never know about? 

edit: wait, I just figured out a perfect solution to all this!!!! CGC just has to start printing all its slips and office documents directly on microchamer paper! That way it's never a quality control issue if anything gets encapsulated - they can just say it was done to preserve the book (and provide detailed handling history during the CGC process...*cough*) :D

Edited by Sauce Dog

Looks like some of the books from one of my magazine submissions is going to back to CGC to get the correct labels put on.  The books have been shipped and on their way by now. 
Here's an example....and there are a few more..

PRY12VS.jpg

Edited by musicmeta

On 7/21/2023 at 10:31 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I don't think this is a 95¢ Canadian Price Variant.

img_1_1689949742849.jpg.4b47338c4bcdd0ae1ddc9e0de4158759.jpg

Whoever submitted their actual Canadian price variant is going to be pretty angry when it comes back to them...  hm

On 7/21/2023 at 12:58 PM, wombat said:

CGC will never admit it, but we know that every book is not going through QC. 

Simple solution - just sit Mike in a chair right there. If I remember right, he said he watched them for two straight hours once and they inspected every single book. It's like they were thinking, "Shoot, it's him! We better crease our pants and do everything right." Heck, CGC can even get him a laptop and he can do his forum thing there.

On 7/21/2023 at 10:31 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I don't think this is a 95¢ Canadian Price Variant.

img_1_1689949742849.jpg.4b47338c4bcdd0ae1ddc9e0de4158759.jpg

As I wrote for another comic book with the same issue, perhaps this comic book visited Canada.

On 7/21/2023 at 6:09 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Yes, the employees are missing things.  Lots and lots (and lots) of things.  But as they are so often very obvious things I can only imagine it's the management creating the struggle. They are probably just overloaded with work and need help....that they aren't getting.

So it's most likely overloaded employees or horrible training.

One or the other.

Yep. I’m not saying these things didn’t happen before, they did, but ever since the blackstone takeover and the grading process went from hundreds of days to warp speed these problems seem to have become more frequent. This is likely the cost of pressure on staff to move at lightning speed coupled with new staff thrown into the fire if I had to guess.

Below are images of the back cover spine and bottom of one of the two modern magazines I'll be receiving on Monday, July 27, 2023. The back cover of the other copy does not show the damage and debris. Thus, it does not appear to be an issue with the scanner that was used (unless two different ones were used). Hopefully as with one of the comic books I received on July 17, CGC corrected this problem prior to shipping the magazines to me.

image.thumb.png.d588a2b96694a751fef6b826cff02870.png

image.thumb.png.d6fdbf6ac41fea2e0e451b3a022fd4b3.png

On 7/22/2023 at 8:49 AM, wiparker824 said:

Yep. I’m not saying these things didn’t happen before, they did, but ever since the blackstone takeover and the grading process went from hundreds of days to warp speed these problems seem to have become more frequent. This is likely the cost of pressure on staff to move at lightning speed coupled with new staff thrown into the fire if I had to guess.

The question all submitters should be asking themselves: How did they go from hundreds of days to warp speed?

On 7/22/2023 at 9:39 AM, Gaard said:

The question all submitters should be asking themselves: How did they go from hundreds of days to warp speed?

Captain Kirk or, more likely, Khan Noonien Singh took charge? :blush: