• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,172 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2023 at 9:12 PM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Perhaps CGC is experimenting with:

"Grade and Name Your Own Comic Book.

Grade it and Name it whatever you like despite the actual grade and title. Who cares? No one!!!!! Have fun! be creative! Tell your family, friends, even strangers, that you graded and named your own comic book! Others can also join in the the fun! Yes, fun despite what others may say. Ignore those naysayers.

Go ahead, DO IT!!!"

Given my performance in recent grading contests, I'm pretty sure I would undergrade my own books! lol

On 7/25/2023 at 11:55 PM, ExNihilo said:

LOL!  What a f'in joke.  @CGC Mike, just admit it, CGC's QC department is non-existent.  Books go from grader to encapsulation and directly to shipping.  Pretending QC exists is just embarrassing.

CDN media

Beyond there being no QC there’s literally nobody even looking at the book for this to go out. Encapsulation, QC, finalizing/imaging, shipping. Anyone who even looks at this book for a second would see this. A lot of things in this thread I can see how they miss from time to time, but something like this is damning on the entire process and essentially ensures them having 0 eyes on book after grading. 

Although I will say this book’s last sale in a 9.8 was barely above case cost at $35 on eBay. So, a fill-in-your own grade is probably the only way to be profitable on the book. Not a bad score for whoever submitted. :roflmao:

On 7/26/2023 at 8:55 AM, ExNihilo said:

LOL!  What a f'in joke.  @CGC Mike, just admit it, CGC's QC department is non-existent.  Books go from grader to encapsulation and directly to shipping.  Pretending QC exists is just embarrassing.

CDN media

This is really hard to believe

Is the serial number available on the CGC invoice? I would check It on the verification Page, maybe, just maybe, the info is there.

Between this one and the restored mix up I posted a week or so ago. I really am wondering just how much of these types of errors are going out these days that we never hear about. I mean how many do you think actually get posted online? 5%? CGC has a stranglehold on the market, and have had one even though their prices are higher, even when their TAT’s were insanely long, didn’t matter… but these keep coming and this is the type of thing that can destroy the brand. I already am generally trying to buy slabs that were in the old holders if I can as I trust the process more back then and generally think the grading was more consistent, but things like this take that to a new level.

On 7/26/2023 at 2:55 AM, ExNihilo said:

The CGC name means pretty much nothing to me now.

On 7/26/2023 at 6:12 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Perhaps CGC is experimenting with:

"Grade and Name Your Own Comic Book.

Grade it and Name it whatever you like despite the actual grade and title. Who cares? No one!!!!! Have fun! be creative! Tell your family, friends, even strangers, that you graded and named your own comic book! Others can also join in the the fun! Yes, fun despite what others may say. Ignore those naysayers.

Go ahead, DO IT!!!"

:facepalm:(shrug):eyeroll:2clol

Since this book is not worth that much and you can just buy another one off the shelf, I'd keep this slab as a talking piece.

On 7/26/2023 at 1:54 AM, Gaard said:

I swear I heard he was gone. Maybe he's just real slow at updating his page?  (shrug)

ms.png

I remember a year ago Mike mentioned that there was a new Quality control guy that was supposed to come in and work on improving the system.  Was that this guy?  He's gone already?  Why would you leave such a cush position?  He clearly did absolutely nothing other than collect checks.

On 7/26/2023 at 2:55 AM, ExNihilo said:

CDN media

lol

On 7/26/2023 at 2:20 PM, ExNihilo said:

I remember a year ago Mike mentioned that there was a new Quality control guy that was supposed to come in and work on improving the system.  Was that this guy?  He's gone already?  Why would you leave such a cush position?  He clearly did absolutely nothing other than collect checks.

This is the guy...

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10227/michael-saucerman/

Then, a few months ago, we got this...

cgcm.thumb.jpg.107f47e9bffa44b0f80eee62fb0368d6.jpg

On 7/26/2023 at 4:00 PM, Gaard said:

This is the guy...

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10227/michael-saucerman/

Then, a few months ago, we got this...

cgcm.thumb.jpg.107f47e9bffa44b0f80eee62fb0368d6.jpg

I wonder what the Director role pays.  Sure sounds like I could easily balance his existing workload on top of my own and probably be able to provide a marked improvement to CGC while simultaneously doubling my take home.  Because you know what they say, improving upon nothing is still improving.

HEY MIKEY! NyUCK nYuck 

I hope it does better with two Mike's! Remaining hopeful, but other than the exits and proof of product, we have no "why?" I wonder what the miscommunication is. :shy:

Spoiler

f25c28bb-abdd-4ffd-8aa5-08f1aedc4dd0_text.gif

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/26/2023 at 6:13 PM, ExNihilo said:

I wonder what the Director role pays.  Sure sounds like I could easily balance his existing workload on top of my own and probably be able to provide a marked improvement to CGC while simultaneously doubling my take home.  Because you know what they say, improving upon nothing is still improving.

Kidding aside, I remember the flux when they hired new graders in recent years, and it seemed they stuck with them to learn the ropes, over all being decent.

Is it alarming to say they're going through QC managers so quickly? To be on the job learning to not be canned, while learning the "new managers" expectations and operations?

That said the surface part of it seems contained. Probably no percentages taken of good and bad other than what's been posted.... Kind of rambling but to make sure I've got the memo. :shy:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/26/2023 at 1:35 AM, oakman29 said:
On 7/26/2023 at 12:19 AM, StillOnly25Cents said:

special appearance of the Wasp?

Exactly! A yellow jacket wasp.

Why are there Yellow Jacket Wasps in the encapsulation room? 

On 7/27/2023 at 12:45 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Why are so few of them entombed along with our comic books? :smile:

On 7/27/2023 at 5:45 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

They passed the recruitment process. 

acbe2205f28b90b506d9ee412a879518.jpg.a428b722dea5b4a212ceebecbd7c964f.jpg