• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens Dec, 18, 2015

1,516 posts in this topic

BOX OFFICE: TFA May Become Highest Grossing Movie Ever With $3 Billion

Paul Dergarabedian, Rentrak's senior box office tracker has even gone as far as to say, "Are we looking at the first $3 billion movie ever? I think we could be." Big things are also expected for next weekend, with Exhibitor Relations's Jeff Bock stating: "I could certainly see it landing north of $200 million this weekend. This is all uncharted territory, but you look at what ‘Avatar’ and ‘Titanic’ did in their second weekends and you have think, why not? This was a unique situation with so many people wanting it to be better than the prequels, and it delivered, and these numbers were the result. I don’t see anything topping this, not even ‘VIII."

:o

it's one thing to make this prediction after it's taken in $600MM+ in 4 days. EW predicted $3BB about 6 months ago- that was a good call.

Saw it this afternoon with my 2 sons, 6 and 10

It is the first film I've been to with my kids I didn't fall asleep in - so a big thumbs up!

I saw the 1st Star Wars in 1978 age 6 so interesting parallel to my youngest

he stayed attentive throughout and loved the light-saber battles

My views: a good film

Thought the new girl was fantastic

Also good: baddie with hair, Jedi pilot

Best bit: the ending, crikey, looking around I could see grown men crying!

So it apparently took in 39 million on Tuesday…40 million on Monday…if it continues this trend, it will be half way to Titanic's domestic numbers after today and half way to Avatar's domestic numbers by this weekend.

Impressive…most impressive!

So it apparently took in 39 million on Tuesday…40 million on Monday…if it continues this trend, it will be half way to Titanic's domestic numbers after today and half way to Avatar's domestic numbers by this weekend.

Impressive…most impressive!

it's going to be a lot closer to Avatar's domestic #'s after this weekend then halfway

Avatar. Good golly that movie sucked.

It was visually spectacular.

Just because it was visually spectacular doesn't make it a great film

Tree of Life is a beautiful looking film but a bit hard to digest

Here is something to consider, GOTG made $333 million domestically in 2014. TFA passed that number sometime Wednesday morning, in only its 6th day of release! In fact TFA has made more domestically than every movie last year!