• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens Dec, 18, 2015

1,516 posts in this topic

J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars: The Force Awakens awoke to a record-breaking $57 million in Thursday night previews at the North American box office.

The previous champ was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows’ Part 2, the final film in the franchise, which earned $43.5 million in Thursday previews in July 2011. The Dark Knight Rises took in $30.6 million in 2012, and Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 took in $30.4 million, also in 2012.

I never knew that about the Twilight movies.

The Twilight flicks were very front loaded. The opening day's were phenomenal, but the dropoff was immediate. Only the super fans were interested.

Saw it twice today, once in 2d and once in RealD3D. The 3D did nothing for me. The movie was still fantastic, but don't think you need to see it in 3D, so feel free to save the extra 2 bucks.

I saw it Liemax 3D, and I thought the presentation was good. The sound was spectacular. I'd really like to see it in true 70mm or true IMAX, but I don't know of any local theaters showing it that way. The movie itself was outstanding.

$250MM to $275MM weekend. Avatar's domestic reign may be over.

You don't have to be one with the force to obviously foreseen this.

$250MM to $275MM weekend. Avatar's domestic reign may be over.

Yea.... that is a pretty aggressive amount. To hit 275 million it's gotta do $72 million a day (in addition to the 57 million we can already account for) That means each theater has to clear $18,461 per day With an average ticket price of $15, that means EVERY theater showing the movie (3900 of them) has to sell 1,231 tickets per day. I REALLY don't see that happening. Definitely think it will top 208 million though, easily.

Over on Boxoffice.com's message forum, this has been posted:

Force Awakens Friday –which includes that $57M it made in Thursday previews– is between $130M-$145M per industry estimates (not Disney). This puts Force Awakens in an opening weekend range of $250M-$275M...

:whatthe:

I just got back from seeing it.

I've never been the biggest diehard Star Wars fan. I've seen the originals several times, and always liked them. But I can't quote stuff, and if you bring up too many little details, I'll be lost.

But this was hands down my favorite movie this year.