• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens Dec, 18, 2015

1,516 posts in this topic

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Set to Overtake Jurassic World in Worldwide Box Office This Weekend

It will only take four weekends for Star Wars: The Force Awakens to pass Jurassic World on the worldwide box office chart, analysts confirm. At some point in the next three days, the December-release juggernaut will defeat last June's own juggernaut to become the #3 all-time highest global grosser. With an estimated less than $70 million to do worldwide to reach the goal, the new ranking should hit sometime Saturday.

Force did about $6 million on Thursday in domestic box office, bringing that total, already an all-time record (without inflation adjustment), to $770 million. International numbers for Thursday were not released at press time, but THR estimates say it was north of $17 million, passing $1.6 billion worldwide.

:o

Record-breaking 'Star Wars' movie opens in China, but far from certain to top 'Avatar'

But internationally, it still has a long way to go to beat "Avatar," James Cameron's science-fiction movie with blue aliens. The international box office of the latest "Star Wars" movie stands at $1.6 billion, compared to the $2.8 billion "Avatar" made in 2009.

Richard Huang, an analyst at Nomura Securities, expects the movie to roughly match the $229 million in Chinese box-office sales that "Jurassic World" generated last year.

Not many Chinese are familiar with "Star Wars." The franchise's three prequel films released from 1999 to 2005 were shown in China, but at a time when there were much fewer screens in the country.

That's a good point about the Chinese market not being as familiar with the Star Wars franchise. So TFA has to succeed on its own merits to establish a new franchise.

given the projected 60% drop this weekend, $1BB domestic seems less likely

And when you adjust for inflation, Titanic and Avatar are even more eye-opening how tremendous they truly were across the international box office.

XDqCSdF.png

DT1HU6u.png

given the projected 60% drop this weekend, $1BB domestic seems less likely

And when you adjust for inflation, Titanic and Avatar are even more eye-opening how tremendous they truly were across the international box office.

XDqCSdF.png

DT1HU6u.png

Is the cost to make also adjusted?

I think if fans were being really loyal, they would ensure to attend a minimum of four to five screenings. Just to do right by the Star Wars franchise.

:popcorn:

I had that task done before Christmas.

It just opened in China with the single best opening Saturday ever (and second best single day ever behind Furious, which is a giant overseas), we will see if it continues.

I think 1 billion domestic is a lock. I don't put it past Disney to rerelease the films a month of so before Rogue One comes out.

Is the cost to make also adjusted?

No. Just the last column where it notes '2015 adjusted', as otherwise it would be an even bigger image. Here's the conversions though.

Titanic production budget:

- 1997: $200 MM

- 2015: $295.8 MM

- 2009: $237 MM

- 2015: $262. 2 MM

Big money spent led to big money earned with these two.

I think if fans were being really loyal, they would ensure to attend a minimum of four to five screenings. Just to do right by the Star Wars franchise.

:popcorn:

I had that task done before Christmas.

lol

m7Po2LRj2WuBpXIyKaEl9_g.jpg

You have truly earned this merit badge.

:applause:(worship)

It just opened in China with the single best opening Saturday ever (and second best single day ever behind Furious, which is a giant overseas), we will see if it continues.

I think 1 billion domestic is a lock. I don't put it past Disney to rerelease the films a month of so before Rogue One comes out.

Box Office: 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Zooms To Huge $32M Opening Day In China

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has earned an estimated solid $32.1 million in its first day of play in China, with final figures going as high as $33m for its opening Saturday. For reference, that’s one of the biggest single-day grosses of all time in what is now the second biggest movie-going marketplace. It is just ahead of the $27m opening day of Paramount/Viacom VIAB +5.00% Inc.’s Terminator: Genisys and the $30m opening day of Paramount’s Transformers: Age of Extinction. It is, as of this writing, behind merely the $33.9m opening day of Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron, and the $63m opening day of Universal/Comcast CMCSA +0.10% Corp.’s Furious 7. Of course, it’s possible that the final numbers may bump it above that Avengers 2 number (and as of 9:30am Disney is guestimating a $33m opening day), but that’s an if/when conversation for tomorrow.

In other words, with current forecasted figures, it is the third highest grossing opening for China. But that could change when they have final figures tomorrow.

:foryou:

maybe after re-releases but after this weekend, no chance on initial domestic run

maybe after re-releases but after this weekend, no chance on initial domestic run

No biggie, it all counts the same and Avatar was rereleased as well, just like the original Star Wars. It's not unusual at all.

Eyeing global domination, 'Star Wars' opens big in China

"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" has achieved the third best opening-day performance in China's cinema history by raking in over $30 million, according to Chinese box office tracking services Sunday.

Opening three weeks after it took the United States by storm, the seventh instalment of the franchise took in around 208.89 million yuan ($31.8 million) in opening-day sales Saturday, according to Chinese film data company EntGroup -- accounting for over 70 percent of all tickets sold that day.

The film ranked third behind the Chinese comedy "Lost in Hong Kong" and "Fast and Furious 7", which earned $390 million at the box office in China. "Star Wars" must top that to become the highest-grossing Hollywood film in the country.

"The Force Awakens" had the country's fourth highest turnout for opening-day midnight screenings, with sales of $2.4 million placing it behind "Furious 7," "Avengers: Age of Ultron" and "Transformers: Age of Extinction".

I'm reading that the low Chinese results are because Star Wars isn't much a part of their culture because there weren't nearly as many theaters in the country when the previous six films came out as there are today.

Good but not great China debut. With a day to go, record breaking first two days (had a Saturday opening), but doesn't look like a 3rd day is going to let it rival the big 3-day opening weekends.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jan/11/star-wars-the-force-awakens-avatar-china

Titanic is in TFA's sights but has no shot at reaching Avatar WW #'s