• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens Dec, 18, 2015

1,516 posts in this topic

Titanic is in TFA's sights but has no shot at reaching Avatar WW #'s

I think going in that the worldwide figure was a long shot but discussable in a way most of the time it isn't. Avatar's # is almost an outier and damn near unbelievable, especially when considering the limited post-release mark on our culture that it left after being so successful as a genre film. It's an anomaly, and just shows you can't front on Cameron. When he drops something he's coming for the crown.

I'm reading that the low Chinese results are because Star Wars isn't much a part of their culture because there weren't nearly as many theaters in the country when the previous six films came out as there are today.

It's a factor that I've read about but can't really speak too from a cultural level. I'm japanese so I can say that in Japan, Star Wars is very much a thing (because Japan > China lol:gossip::banana: ), but obviously that's not the potential market that China is. J

I suspect Disney will seek to remedy that, and maybe Force Awakens will serve as a beginning to that.

I'm reading that the low Chinese results are because Star Wars isn't much a part of their culture because there weren't nearly as many theaters in the country when the previous six films came out as there are today.

Yup. That was something I posted a few days ago, and something I was not factoring into any assumptions.

Record-breaking 'Star Wars' movie opens in China, but far from certain to top 'Avatar'

But internationally, it still has a long way to go to beat "Avatar," James Cameron's science-fiction movie with blue aliens. The international box office of the latest "Star Wars" movie stands at $1.6 billion, compared to the $2.8 billion "Avatar" made in 2009.

Richard Huang, an analyst at Nomura Securities, expects the movie to roughly match the $229 million in Chinese box-office sales that "Jurassic World" generated last year.

Not many Chinese are familiar with "Star Wars." The franchise's three prequel films released from 1999 to 2005 were shown in China, but at a time when there were much fewer screens in the country.

That's a good point about the Chinese market not being as familiar with the Star Wars franchise. So TFA has to succeed on its own merits to establish a new franchise.

We'll see how much of an impact it has after word-of-mouth marketing starts to kick in.

Yup. That was something I posted a few days ago, and something I was not factoring into any assumptions.

Record-breaking 'Star Wars' movie opens in China, but far from certain to top 'Avatar'

But internationally, it still has a long way to go to beat "Avatar," James Cameron's science-fiction movie with blue aliens. The international box office of the latest "Star Wars" movie stands at $1.6 billion, compared to the $2.8 billion "Avatar" made in 2009.

Richard Huang, an analyst at Nomura Securities, expects the movie to roughly match the $229 million in Chinese box-office sales that "Jurassic World" generated last year.

Not many Chinese are familiar with "Star Wars." The franchise's three prequel films released from 1999 to 2005 were shown in China, but at a time when there were much fewer screens in the country.

That's a good point about the Chinese market not being as familiar with the Star Wars franchise. So TFA has to succeed on its own merits to establish a new franchise.

We'll see how much of an impact it has after word-of-mouth marketing starts to kick in.

i think rogue one and episode 8 are going to do better in china when they come out. from what i'm reading and hearing Disney and Lucasfilms have been doing huge amount of marketing in china by showing all six films and having celebrities to showening and interveiws.

China never showed the original 6 movies until this past summer when they were shown at a movie festival. Theater count doesn't really come into play.

China never showed the original 6 movies until this past summer when they were shown at a movie festival. Theater count doesn't really come into play.

FWIW, China is also in the midst of a market collapse of 1987 US style proportions, and I don't think people are too happy to run out to the theaters right about now-- bad timing, 2c.

The Infamous Jar Jar Binks

In Episode III of These Are The Actors You're Looking For'; Ahmed Best AKA Jar Jar Binks talks Michael Jackson, the backlash and why he would never return to the Star Wars franchise. He also performs his former co-star Liam Neeson's famous 'Taken' monologue, in the style of Jar Jar!

I didn't know that Adam driver was a marine, and that he joined after the events of 9/11. In my opinion it makes me like him even more now as a actor .

Weapons Company, 1st Battalion, 1st Marines

He turned 18 in November 2001.

He served for two years and eight months.

He now runs a nonprofit organization, Arts in the Armed Forces, which stages performances for military personnel.

FWIW, China is also in the midst of a market collapse of 1987 US style proportions, and I don't think people are too happy to run out to the theaters right about now-- bad timing, 2c.

+1

The China Miracle is over,now comes the nightmare!

The China Miracle is over!

:gossip:

This is why I was shocked the other day when Disney`s Bob Iger said that China would supplant America as the number one movie audience in the world.

Saw TFA on Monday, the movie didn't quite live up to all the hype,

You can definitely say that again as it was a total and absolute disappointment from my point of view. Maybe my expectations were too high from all of the hype. hm

Saw it as part of a group of 6 people on Tuesday night, with 3 of them dozing off halfway through the movie. lol

Thought Harrison Ford and the lead girl did a fantastic job though! hm

+1

The China Miracle is over,now comes the nightmare!

The China Miracle is over!

:gossip:

This is why I was shocked the other day when Disney`s Bob Iger said that China would supplant America as the number one movie audience in the world.

july 7, 2015. guess Iger doesn't read 6 month old stories from the NY Post.

2017 seems unrealistic but China passing US box office seems inevitable

http://deadline.com/2016/01/china-box-office-2015-record-1201674753/

Caught a second showing today. The theater was full. I was quite surprised. Seems to still be doing well.

My first showing (10PM early open) was in a major theatre and was full, pre-booked.

Second showing was a couple of weeks ago at a less major theatre and was about 2/3 full. I was impressed as it was the most full I've ever seen that particular theatre.

Caught a second showing today. The theater was full. I was quite surprised. Seems to still be doing well.

$2BB in the bag but may not sink Titanic; kind of fizzled in China

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

It won't catch Titanic on the adjusted list. It might break into the top 10 however:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Unfortunate, this movie isn't showing the kind of legs that Titanic and Avatar had.

$2BB in the bag but may not sink Titanic; kind of fizzled in China

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

It won't catch Titanic on the adjusted list. It might break into the top 10 however:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Unfortunate, this movie isn't showing the kind of legs that Titanic and Avatar had.

I've got to think Disney is really happy with the numbers, and I think they are about where they wanted to be right now, or at least where they thought they would be right now. The amount of entertainment diversions that they faced upon release dwarfs all of the movies ahead of it on the list. It think Star Wars could have "skinny legs", as opposed to "thick legs", meaning that it'll continue to rake money in at a steadily declining rate for the next month or so, then run out the clock at second runs and drive-ins. I'm thinking $930M domestic, 2.2 WW.

I think shooting for Snow White at $938M is probably what they'll shoot for at this point, in terms of adjusted domestic. WW, it will possibly catch Titanic, but Avatar is a no-go. May trickle in to the 2.1B-2.2B mark WW.

Titanic was a perfect storm domestically; swept awards, aimed at nearly every focus group out there, had America's hottest heartthrob young actor in it. It's not catching it there.

Avatar, which I didn't "get" the way many did, had legs like crazy stateside and WW, but it doesn't inspire to the degree in retrospect. That 2.7B is a big number............Going to need some inflation to catch it.

Anytime you have the biggest movie of any given year I'd imagine you are happy. While World Wide is a great number, and everyone wants to be king for publicity/promo, the domestic number, all things being equal, is much more valuable because the cut given to studios is substantially less, especially in the biggest international market. I'm sure if they they found out they'd have the biggest domestic movie in history, they'd be pleased. DOn't get me wrong though, the PR tool having the biggest movie of all time might even be worth more than that extra cut. I think we will see it when the next Avatar comes out, and we saw it when the first came out. Cameron comes for the crown.

The adjusted inflation # is a nice tool but I feel like it's over used even though it seems to make common sense without thinking about it too much. It's much more of a media tool than it is an industry one. We live in a world where Avatar is the biggest movie of all time, and before that it was Titanic. I say that because inflation almost always favors older films, but doesn't take into account a lot of factors, some of which are described above in this thread (others that also help older films and those that tend to favor new ones as well): competition for our dollar, options at the theaters, population, # of theaters, PIRACY, the theater/studio splits and availability. We don't even have to back to Gone With the Wind, do you know how long people had to wait for Empire Strikes Back to get to video? 1984. The movie came out in 1980. We are getting current movies in months, the world will have Force Awakens in a few months.

I'm not saying Force Awakens would or wouldn't improve using more than one data point as a metric (I don't have that information), I'm just saying that the adjusted for inflation figure, as it is when we gauge anything (like our salaries) is really an incomplete figure, though admittedly it is one that we have on hand, that usually keeps older movies generations haven't seen on lists. Star Wars has 5 in the top 20, lots of Disney up there too. I think looking at the adjusted list the only film that pops out at me is The Sting.

I've said this before but the Avatar number is crazy. I can't imagine it will be beat anytime soon. Might be the last time, right time, right place, right director, we have a must see in theaters movie, until we are in some kind of VR reality.

Avatar is amazing to me. How can something be that gigantic and have practically/relatively zero cultural footprint. We only ever talk about that movie when talking about other movies at the box office. I'm very interested in seeing how Cameron comes with that second movie. He already has the money, I'm interested in seeing if he can turn it into more than initial interest/spectacle. Star Wars had a chance and is the biggest movie in U.S. history but isn't touching it. That says a lot.

I understood Titanic. Biggest date movie ever, two incredible talents leading, James Cameron - I don't quite get Sam Worthington at all.

RE: Star Wars. I'm really interested in how Rogue One does. This is a monster year for blockbusters and if it is in the running for top box office this year that would be an incredible coup, especially with Episode 8 coming out just several months after. If Rogue one is competing with Dawn of Justice and Civil War it will be telling. This time there is another heavyweight at the end of the year too, with the new Harry Potter dropping in November.

That said, who cares about box office, I'm watching all of these. What a great time.

I still would rather see Cameron Aquaman, ala Entourage's premonition. If they announced DC was putting out Cameron Aquaman. This may sound silly but that would be a MONSTER and it would be Aquaman lol