• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$10,000

98 posts in this topic

You've got $10,000 to buy silver age books raw or slabbed.

You're going to keep them for at least 10-20 years.

What would you buy?

The books I'd most enjoy owning. For me, that's early SA Marvels in high grade. While I prefer raw books to entombed ones, and unmanipulated books to pressed ones, it's hard to find high grade silver that hasn't undergone treatment and been slabbed.

You've got $10,000 to buy silver age books raw or slabbed.

You're going to keep them for at least 10-20 years.

What would you buy?

Great question. The contrarian in me likes X-Men #1. It's pretty cheap compared to the rest of the heavy hitters. You can get a 7.5-8.0 for about 10 dimes. A decent FF #1 is also intriging at these prices. The risk with both these books is that Disney does not own the movie franchises. And movies seem to be driving growth the last few years or so.

Ultimately, I'd probably go with the nicest Showcase #4 I could find for $10k. There are certainly more popular characters than Flash, but it's rarity will always make it collectible. And most consider it the dawn of the Silver Age, exalting it above the ebb and flow of movie hype.

Tough question... The most money to be made today is in TV and movie hyped books. But the 10-20 year timeline would make buying these books not the best use of the 10K

So you'd have to pick a lower grade mega key... But perhaps by then demand has waned and the lower grade copies lose steam.

Better might be. 92 to 9.6 graded copy of a book that guides for 2-3k that you figure will have gained value due to movies and KEEP all of that gain. A character that will stay popular.

Have to think who that might be!