• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$10,000

98 posts in this topic

Anyone suggesting against investing due to movie hype is hitting the nail on the head. FF 45 is a great book, but it has always been a great book. Currently, FF 45 is a "wait until later" purchase for me. And is Marvel REALLY going to be able to sell the Inhumans to the masses the way that they did Guardians? I'm sure plenty will disagree, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Marvel will eventually make a bad movie that does not make a ton of money. Iron Man 2 was a bad movie that made money. However, they are incredibly strategic in their long term approach and their commitment to the original brilliant source material. So I believe they will nail the Inhumans with a gritty War of Kings cosmic epic. 45 is a great book that has become even more expensive but i believe it has a ways to go. For better bang for the buck I would go with 46 as it is less than half the cost of 45 in high grades and Black Bolt will be the key to any Inhumans movie plot.

Anyone suggesting against investing due to movie hype is hitting the nail on the head. FF 45 is a great book, but it has always been a great book. Currently, FF 45 is a "wait until later" purchase for me. And is Marvel REALLY going to be able to sell the Inhumans to the masses the way that they did Guardians? I'm sure plenty will disagree, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Marvel will eventually make a bad movie that does not make a ton of money. Iron Man 2 was a bad movie that made money. However, they are incredibly strategic in their long term approach and their commitment to the original brilliant source material. So I believe they will nail the Inhumans with a gritty War of Kings cosmic epic. 45 is a great book that has become even more expensive but i believe it has a ways to go. For better bang for the buck I would go with 46 as it is less than half the cost of 45 in high grades and Black Bolt will be the key to any Inhumans movie plot.

I actually agree that Marvel will probably make a great Inhumans movie. I just don't know that the general public will find the characters as accessible as something like Guardians, which ultimately may have an impact on #45s investment value. But yeah, I don't doubt that Marvel can do a great job on an Inhumans movie that will more than satisfy already existing fans and collectors.

Just to reiterate, I love FF #45, movie hype or no.

I'd go with a Showcase 4. Flying under the radar, I rarely see a copy, and it's an important book.

FF 4 would be in the mix. Sooner or later Namor will hit the screen and the book will go crazy. How can you beat a super early Marvel with the 4th FF and first Submariner?

10 New Mutants 98 CGC 9.8. Then sell them when the movie comes out, then take all that money and buy a 10-20 year investment.

:shrug:

I thought the point was to make money in this deal... lol

I kid, I kid.

But seriously, you probably want to sell before the movie comes out (preferably right after the final trailer is released, ~1-3 months prior to launch). When it comes out and bombs I doubt the value of the books will hold...

Also, there are probably better books you can buy that aren't already way over-inflated and actually have room to grow. This book is pretty much hitting its life-time peak.

10 New Mutants 98 CGC 9.8. Then sell them when the movie comes out, then take all that money and buy a 10-20 year investment.

I kid, I kid.

But seriously, you probably want to sell before the movie comes out (preferably right after the final trailer is released, ~1-3 months prior to launch). When it comes out and bombs I doubt the value of the books will hold...

Also, there are probably better books you can buy that aren't already way over-inflated and actually have room to grow. This book is pretty much hitting its life-time peak.

+1

IMO, there is still a lot of room to grow for books like FF 45, 46, Avengers 55, etc. The movies have been announced, but are still a ways off, so plenty of time for run-up.

I kid, I kid.

+1

IMO, there is still a lot of room to grow for books like FF 45, 46, Avengers 55, etc. The movies have been announced, but are still a ways off, so plenty of time for run-up.

Personally, I'm not one to chase movie hyped books.I will do the oposite ,while everyone is chasing the Rocket raccoon,Groot etc. I'm chasing Horror magazines,mags like Creepy,Vampirella,Eerie etc. are getting harder and harder to find in high grade.Then when the hype of the movie is over,maybe I'll pick up those others.I really think it's all about timing with collecting,and except for the big keys(which will rise in value regardless).Time really is on your side,you just have to make wise choices.

This is a fun question, so I guess I would have some fun with the books and pick up a favorite hero...

Either:

1) Journey into Mystery[$10,000 would get me something like a 7.0]

2) Avengers #4 [cgc 9ish Thompson pedigree is going for around 10k]

3) Our army at war 7.0

4) Hulk # 1 3.5-4.0

5) TOS #39 7.0

Hypothetical_funny_money_on_hold_for_20_years

DC keys have been doing well, and it's been said numerous times before how there's a lot of room for growth there - especially (I think) titles like Justice League and Wonder Woman that are getting movies soon - but I also happen to think that Fantastic Four in the Marvel camp is a hugely significant and undervalued book. If they ever get the rights back and give it a proper movie that book could soar I think. It's such a beautiful old cover too.

DC keys have been doing well, and it's been said numerous times before how there's a lot of room for growth there - especially (I think) titles like Justice League and Wonder Woman that are getting movies soon - but I also happen to think that Fantastic Four in the Marvel camp is a hugely significant and undervalued book. If they ever get the rights back and give it a proper movie that book could soar I think. It's such a beautiful old cover too.

This ^^ FF #1 has got a lot of room to grow IMHO....Those DC Silver Agers are also pinnacle pickups...If I had 10K I should try to pick up as many low grade beauties as I could but then again it would be for my personal collection not so much for long term growth

I would go with the highest grade ST 110 you could get. It is undervalued and if the movie is a smash hit it will continue to increase as more people get turned on to the title and character.

The issue with the Hulk 1 or Af 15 is if you bought a 3.0 or 3.5 AF 15 or a 4.0/4.5 Hulk how much room is there going to be to grow? In 20 years they will increase but to what extent.

A HG copy of a key for 10k has got a better chance to out perform a low grade key IMO.

Will the Hulk or AF 15 be a safer bet most likely but a dramatic return I would not bet on.

ST#110 is a solid investment still but is it as 'cool' as owning an AF#15,Hulk#1, X-men #1, Showcase #4,22, or FF#1,5 ? perhaps, but we'll see..

What I'm learning is that we live in an age of covers.

play it safe, always stick with

AF #15,

X-men #1

Hulk #1

for $10k you can get a nice copy of any of those

history has proven these books can sustain themselves regardless of hype.

right now a decent 4.5-5.0 ish copy of ST110 is only $1500ish, which is very attractive and I think they will start selling once the first trailer and more news is revealed. but if you don't have one of the big iconic Marvel comic books , get that first.. they are going up faster than usual

+1 TOS 39 for a long term buy and hold. When todays kids grow up and have jobs, I think they will be nostalgic of the old Marvel movies, like I am about the original Star Wars. The elephant in the room though, is will the comic book medium remain in use, or will paper reading be a thing of the past... Then again we can't read slabbed books as they are currently, so (shrug)

+1 TOS 39 for a long term buy and hold. When todays kids grow up and have jobs, I think they will be nostalgic of the old Marvel movies, like I am about the original Star Wars. The elephant in the room though, is will the comic book medium remain in use, or will paper reading be a thing of the past... Then again we can't read slabbed books as they are currently, so (shrug)

Paper will be a dead medium in 20-30 years. sigh

I don't know if kids will care about the first appearance of their childhood heroes in a dead medium... Lots of things that are old and rare are valuable, lots of things that are old and rare are not (pop culture or not).

My guess is that someday, the value of comics will drop off significantly and the only place you will see an Action 1 (or pick your comic) will be a pop culture museum (FYI - not everything in museums is valuable). Simply one day no one will care anymore. Now is that 20 years from now (nope), 40 years from now (doubtful), 60 years from now ( hm ) or more...

Guess we will see! :shrug: