• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the Stan Lee sig on this AF15 authentic?

48 posts in this topic

I was going to say that no way is that his sig, but after looking at three pages of google images of his sig, I can say that there is a wide variance, but I still don't think that is legit.

But I wonder why someone would fake such an easy to get sig on such a big book.

I was going to say that no way is that his sig, but after looking at three pages of google images of his sig, I can say that there is a wide variance, but I still don't think that is legit.

But I wonder why someone would fake such an easy to get sig on such a big book.

Maybe it was done long ago when Stan wasn't as accessible (shrug)

Looks real to me. I've looked a lot of his signature from different era's. Because it wasn't witnessed it will always leave doubt.

Steve Ditko did sign AF 15's in the 60's as well. Along with a whole other bunch of artists and writers long before any grading company was around. Though not fool proof. Getting a professional signature authenticator would help put any doubt to rest for the most part.

It is tough cause it is in marker. Usually he signs in sharpie.

The problem is that we do not know when the signature was made. Do you have the same signature that you did twenty years ago? I know I do not. My signature has evolved over time.

I agree that this is why authentication would be a valuable service that CGC could offer. Make it pricey so the gates are not flooded. If some reputable venues can authenticate signatures than CGC can have the ability to do so as well, if they so choose.

The L is the biggest problem I have. If it was done in the 70's/80's it would have been done on the indica. It's very rare to see signatures on the front cover from that time period (rare, not impossible) Also during that time frame he would date the year, as seen in Ball's picture. The lack of a year makes me think it's a later sig. Given that it looks like it was done in a crayola marker it's also possible that the non standard signing device through him off and screwed up his signature? As others have said there are places that will authenticate the sig if it's that important.

Since we're brainstorming here, possibly this was handed to Stan in a place where there was no table. This could be a reason to why it was signed on the cover and why it looks so odd. If you were just signing it against it's own weight against your hand, it may explain why it's so sloppy.

The highs and lows of the ink density in the signature are also interesting. Looks like it might have been drawn with some sort of wet or dry erase marker - not a Sharpie (as someone mentioned earlier).